Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Hi all.

I’m new to this group. Just found out about it. I’ve been getting more fit for about 20 months now. Started @ 308 lbs and today I weigh 201.5. I feel so much better physically and emotionally. I’m near goal of 190-195 but this last bit is moving really slow.

I’m inspired to read your posts and I’m finding MFP to be really helpful with logging my food etc.

Nice to meet you!!

Hi @Onedaywriter,

Welcome to LL. Congrats on an amazing loss.

I hope you will take some time to explain your process and a little about your journey. Feel free to create a new thread if you are interested.

• NovusDies
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm Kristy, I'm 41 and from New Zealand. Married with four kids - 16, 14, 11 (twins), and live right by the beach.

I've had a weight problem since I was a young child. As I got older my weight just got heavier - until 2011 when, at just on 150kg, I was desperate to avoid Weight Loss Surgery (personal preference after my mother had it done) and something just clicked in my brain. I found Weight Watchers, and then in 2013 MFP. By mid 2014 I had lost 73kg / 160lbs and maintained it for two years. I got qualified and started working as a Personal Trainer... but injury, then a chronic pain diagnosis, then severe migraines topped with depression/anxiety (myself and my teenager) and a bunch of other stress, and I went to pieces. I've had to learn not to use food as a coping mechanism, and to break habits of 30+ years. About a year ago I broke my 6 year logging streak on MFP so that I could focus on recovery, and now I've just started logging regularly again and lost a bit since then.

In general I've gained a heap of weight since mid 2016. Currently 123.7kg / 272.7lbs. Still have migraines and pain, some days worse than others, which are the days that are much harder. But still manageable. So here I am.

I don't really have a specific weight goal in mind. Back when I was in the mid 70kg range in 2016 I was an NZ size 8/ US size 4 clothing, and it would be nice to get back around that size. But, health is my first priority and I'm not hung up on a particular number - clothes or scale!

Hi @xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Kristy,

Welcome.

I am glad you feel ready again. Let us know how we can help.
  • pessxx
    pessxx Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Monica,I am from Romania, I am 52 old 1.70 cm tall (5.7) and I am having now
    128 kilos( 283 lbs)
    I want to lose 53 kilos (117 lbs) (almost my age this year :) ) so I guess there will be a
    final process this time
    I work In IT , supporting the others for It applications
    I am very optimistic with the others and very supportive, I have all the patience in the world
    for everybody around, all of my friends know me as the best person to talk to or
    being confident to.
    But this is not happening always with myself, I have to learn to be more patient, to consider
    that everyday should be an accomplishment and to learn to be good with myself, usually I am
    very severe and I blame myself for every little error

That's been said I hope I will find all these in this group and succeed and do my metal cleaning
    so that I am encouraged to lose in a consistent rythm

I am low-carb person, doing Omad, I also like fish, I also have some yoyo experiences and I also do walkins'
    so I guess I am similar to a lot of people here

Glad to be here! <3
  • NovusDies
    Options
    pessxx wrote: »
    Hi, I am Monica,I am from Romania, I am 52 old 1.70 cm tall (5.7) and I am having now
    128 kilos( 283 lbs)
    I want to lose 53 kilos (117 lbs) (almost my age this year :) ) so I guess there will be a
    final process this time
    I work In IT , supporting the others for It applications
    I am very optimistic with the others and very supportive, I have all the patience in the world
    for everybody around, all of my friends know me as the best person to talk to or
    being confident to.
    But this is not happening always with myself, I have to learn to be more patient, to consider
    that everyday should be an accomplishment and to learn to be good with myself, usually I am
    very severe and I blame myself for every little error

That's been said I hope I will find all these in this group and succeed and do my metal cleaning
    so that I am encouraged to lose in a consistent rythm

I am low-carb person, doing Omad, I also like fish, I also have some yoyo experiences and I also do walkins'
    so I guess I am similar to a lot of people here

Glad to be here! <3

Hi @pessxx Monica,

Is there a reason you are doing omad? Given what you have said about yourself I am worried because you have selected two fairly restrictive protocols low carb + omad. Some people can do this naturally. Others choose it because the internet hypes up what it can supposedly do for weight loss. In any event remember you do not burn any extra calories being miserable.

I think you should find something nice that you can do for yourself each morning. It can be very small but it might help set the tone for the day. Being kind to yourself really helps the weight loss go by faster.

Welcome!

• pessxx
    Options
    Thank you
    I feel very good with Omad, more energy, less eating which when I am at job I do not have so much time and I need to postphone
    Low carb does not mean no carbs, just under 100
    If this woe is no welcomed, it is ok, I will resume at reading your posts on the group
    thank you
  • NovusDies
    Options
    pessxx wrote: »
    Thank you
    I feel very good with Omad, more energy, less eating which when I am at job I do not have so much time and I need to postphone
    Low carb does not mean no carbs, just under 100
    If this woe is no welcomed, it is ok, I will resume at reading your posts on the group
    thank you

It is welcome. We encourage everyone to find their sustainable path. I was just concerned because you said you liked to be harsh with yourself and omad can be harsh for some people.
  • pessxx
    Options
    all right, thank you for accepting me and good luck to all of us in our journeys!
  • itzaboutme
    itzaboutme Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Starting over again.

I have a lot to lose and a lot of reasons to do it! I’ve battled my weight since I had my baby - 25 years ago.
    I’m pre-diabetic, and I want to get healthy before my baby has babies.
    I need friends to help me stay motivated.
    Please add me
  • NovusDies
    Options
    itzaboutme wrote: »
    Starting over again.

I have a lot to lose and a lot of reasons to do it! I’ve battled my weight since I had my baby - 25 years ago.
    I’m pre-diabetic, and I want to get healthy before my baby has babies.
    I need friends to help me stay motivated.
    Please add me

Hi @itzaboutme,

Welcome. I am not sure if you are just here for friends or if you want to participate in this group. Either way I hope you will find an easy path forward for yourself.
  • kecward78
    kecward78 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I'm Keith, 59, 5'10" and started my journey @ 402.8 lbs. back in November of 2019.

I began by doing a little walking and ramped up by watching videos from a man in New Jersey (USA) who challenged himself to walk 1 million steps in the month of December (side note - he made it with 3 days to spare and reached his millionth step on the steps of the Phila. Art Museum steps where Rocky (original movie) ended his run).

Well... being as big as I am put a little too much stress on my knee and I was off my feet for more than a week. I bought a knee brace to help, but haven't walked nearly as much. What I have replaced it with is Intermittent Fasting. I do a 16/8 program and it's working - maybe a bit too fast.

I lost 14.6 lbs. from walking and was down to 388.2 as of Jan. 19th. A little less than 2 lbs. per week. Since that day, I've dropped another 14.8 lbs. to 373.4. I KNOW this is very fast, but I am doing NO physical activity other than short (less than 1/2 mile) walks.

My short term plan is to get down to 360 (I signed up for a six-month DietBet and have to get down to get my money back/get any winnings). At that point I will either come off IF one or 2 days per week or add more calories to my diet each day. I will, at the 360 mark, begin to add low-level aerobic activity and weight lifting to my program.

I use MyFitnessPal and MapMyFitness, FitBit (I have a Versa 2), Weight Gurus (a Bluetooth scale that communicates with MFP and FitBit) and home equipment for working out.

My long term plan is to get back to about 190 lbs. in 2 - 2 1/2 years. Much more important is to do it healthily, with minimal skin sag and a bodyfat % less than 20% (preferably 18%, but I'll be over 61 at this point, so I don't know if it's realistic).

This is a journey and my plan is to stay consistent. Being a creature-of-habit will help since I seldom stray from my core/my program. And so I begin...
  • dishiznice
    dishiznice Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    kecward78 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone! I'm Keith, 59, 5'10" and started my journey @ 402.8 lbs. back in November of 2019.

I began by doing a little walking and ramped up by watching videos from a man in New Jersey (USA) who challenged himself to walk 1 million steps in the month of December (side note - he made it with 3 days to spare and reached his millionth step on the steps of the Phila. Art Museum steps where Rocky (original movie) ended his run).

Well... being as big as I am put a little too much stress on my knee and I was off my feet for more than a week. I bought a knee brace to help, but haven't walked nearly as much. What I have replaced it with is Intermittent Fasting. I do a 16/8 program and it's working - maybe a bit too fast.

I lost 14.6 lbs. from walking and was down to 388.2 as of Jan. 19th. A little less than 2 lbs. per week. Since that day, I've dropped another 14.8 lbs. to 373.4. I KNOW this is very fast, but I am doing NO physical activity other than short (less than 1/2 mile) walks.

My short term plan is to get down to 360 (I signed up for a six-month DietBet and have to get down to get my money back/get any winnings). At that point I will either come off IF one or 2 days per week or add more calories to my diet each day. I will, at the 360 mark, begin to add low-level aerobic activity and weight lifting to my program.

I use MyFitnessPal and MapMyFitness, FitBit (I have a Versa 2), Weight Gurus (a Bluetooth scale that communicates with MFP and FitBit) and home equipment for working out.

My long term plan is to get back to about 190 lbs. in 2 - 2 1/2 years. Much more important is to do it healthily, with minimal skin sag and a bodyfat % less than 20% (preferably 18%, but I'll be over 61 at this point, so I don't know if it's realistic).

This is a journey and my plan is to stay consistent. Being a creature-of-habit will help since I seldom stray from my core/my program. And so I begin...

Keith! that's great progress man. from my experience, the weight FLEW off in the beginning and i started right around where you did. I wasn't really working out during those weeks either, just trying to hit 10,000 steps a day. i wouldn't worry, but it seems like you are trying to make changes that will be sustainable. I think intermittent fasting is a great way to do it. keep up the great work, look forward to hearing about your continued success! it's got to feel good. once you get that momentum, you don't wanna stop!
  • NovusDies
    edited February 2020
    Options
    kecward78 wrote: »

Hi @kecward78

Welcome to LL.

I ran your numbers as about 30 pounds in 80 days (middle of November). This averages to 2.68 pounds per week. That is actually fine for someone your size. If you find it sustainable you could maintain the same calorie goal and let your weight loss slow itself down for you. This will require eating an adequate number of your exercise calories when you start again.

Sometimes we lose weight in what is called "whooshes". I have done it pretty routinely for 2 years. My weight drops for about 2 weeks then seems to slow down or stall for 3 weeks followed by a woosh week that can be a lot of weight in a short amount of time. It is called a whoosh because you are basically unloading a lot of water weight that is masking your fat loss. It is more likely that some of the quick 15 pounds you lost was a whoosh and it was a mixture of current fat loss and fat loss before the 19th that was being masked.

• merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    @kecward78 So glad to have you here! I've been following your progress for a while and you've been doing great. Keep it up!
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Hi @truff69,

Just don't start talking about your spreadsheet every chance you get. That is MY thing. lol. kidding of course.

Welcome. A point of correction in your post. You say you haven't started exercising then you said you were walking. Guess what? You are exercising.

Welcome. Look around jump in anywhere.
  • harleyhearse
    harleyhearse Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, Congratulations on your success. I wish I knew more about spreadsheets. :( I started my own journey Mid January and am down over 73+ pounds so far. B) I eat 99% non processed food and walk 5 of 7 days a week. I just was gifted a Smart Watch (Thanks to my new friend on MFP..You rock!) and I write down my stats on paper everywhere. Is there an easy way to use a spreadsheet like you have? (Kinda like spreadsheet for dummies?..LOL)
  • truff69
    truff69 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, Congratulations on your success. I wish I knew more about spreadsheets. :( I started my own journey Mid January and am down over 73+ pounds so far. B) I eat 99% non processed food and walk 5 of 7 days a week. I just was gifted a Smart Watch (Thanks to my new friend on MFP..You rock!) and I write down my stats on paper everywhere. Is there an easy way to use a spreadsheet like you have? (Kinda like spreadsheet for dummies?..LOL)

Hi @harleyhearse, I'd be happy to help you (any anyone else) to set up a spreadsheet to track your progress - Google docs is a good place for this. Message me and we can set something up that tracks what you need.
  • cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'd love to join the group! I've been on MFP for 3 years and have been losing and gaining the same 40 lbs over and over again in the past 15 years. :#

But I need to start again, and I need to believe this time will be different :smile:

So, I started in March at about 230 lbs and by now I'm down to 214lbs. I exercise daily (walking or at-home strength training) and eat below 1800-1900 cal a day. I'm trying mindful eating & the Beck diet (not really a diet, but a "change the way you think about food" psychology book). I have to say my thinking is really starting to change and I'm enjoying it. I used to be a "all or nothing" person, but am learning that there's more to life than that :)

I usually eat non-processed home-cooked foods, but I eat anything really. I have tried restrictive diets in the past and I never stick to them long enough, so I don't want to do that again.

Nice to meet you all!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Welcome, @cremorna1 !

I know what you mean about the restrictive diets. I don't have the willpower to push through for long with that sort of thing and need as much freedom as possible. I love the idea of not putting a moral value on food; helps me immensely!
  • cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi @bmeadows380!

After reading your bio, I identified with 2 parts: 1) the ups and downs of weight loss, especially with PCOS, and, most of all, with this: 2) "I don't know what controls that little switch in my mind that gives me the willpower to succeed in dieting, so I don't know what kicks it on or kicks it off, but I wish I could figure it out!" I really-really-really know what you mean!! This time, what made it "click" for me was getting congratulated on my pregnancy - I am NOT pregnant!!! But I'd love to know what really makes me "tick" and how I can control that. I really hope this change in thinking via the book of the Beck diet will help me control "that switch". But every day I am very worried of turning that switch off. And when it's off, it's generally off for 2 years and I gain all the weight back :neutral:

Anyways, hope this group can help us control the switch. You have been doing really well, and your progress is AMAZING!