WAISTAWAYS TEAM CHAT - March 2020

Options

Replies

• EvMakesChanges
    EvMakesChanges Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    So happy it's Tuesday. Thanks everyone for the support with the bits and pieces of crazy that were zipping around my head the other day. I've since chosen to step out of the choral performance in late May and that's removed some of the stress.
    I also had a talk with myself and did a lot of reminding about control, letting go, and trusting that all will work out the way it's meant to...as long as I "get out of the way"! That helped, too.
    I intend to catch up with the Pilates week over the next 8 days. I've found before that if I go in too quickly, I strain my back because my abs need more strength. My hope is that the pool exercise I've been doing for the last 5 weeks has started that process and I won't be too sore if I am intentional about the whole thing.
    My servings have been getting the best of me over the past couple of days. We'll see how my weigh in goes tomorrow.
    @jugar I didn't "weigh-in" on the points idea because I'm not sure which would work better for me. I appreciate the idea of having smaller losses get attention and to not make it feel like a punishment when we don't lose anything or when it's minimal. I'm game to try any and all.
    I'm enjoying everyone's insights and sharing. I aim to share more in the next little while. I'll also get to the wee at-work-gym this week and get a start on my spring-tone for walking to and from work (total 2 miles).
    More tomorrow.
    Sleep well, y'all!
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,080 Member
    Options
    HEADS UP!

Wednesday weigh-ins:

@offitgoes
    @evelynladams527

May your calories be low, your fibre be high, and your energy abundant!
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Options
    YinxFed wrote: »
    And it's Zumba today!

@YinxFed I miss Zumba and really need to try it again. I used to do it when I lived in NJ. Haven’t since I moved south almost 9 years ago.
    Hey, It's been a while since I checked in, Surgery went well, tomorrow will be two weeks. Recovery also going great except for a drainage port. Can't wait till I get the last drainage port removed. Its driving me crazy's, having this tube in my hip and every time I move it burns like crazy. I also want to get on the scale but don't want to with this drainage port still in. I haven't weighed myself in over 2 weeks. Can't wait to go back to the gym, I have to wait 4 more weeks. Take care

@matthewsfive Great to hear things are going well in your recovery. Don’t worry about that scale. Give yourself the gift of patience. Let your body heal. You know what to do when you’re ready. We know it too.

@graceojo999 Good to see you checking in. Are you interested in being on the step team or just posting steps for yourself? Let me know, either way is fine.

@jugar Sorry to hear about your car troubles. That is no fun at all. Hope you get it straightened out. Sounds like your day was productive otherwise.

@Gidgitgoescrazy I get your struggles making the right decision for your family about the 5k. This whole COVID-19 thing is so crazy. And it’s hard to know what is going to happen next.

@Terytha Sending hugs out to you. Uncertainty is so overwhelming and stressful. Having lost my job three years ago, I will tell you it takes the wind out of you, but you will figure out how to make it. People say that thing about the doors closing and opening. I wanted to slam the door at the time, but it really does work out. Hope you take the time to take care of yourself through this. Breathe in, breathe out. 🙏🏼

Glad to read everyone’s posts. Been busy chasing the tiny toddler. I have been doing the Pilates challenge and it feels good to do it, even though it took me until 9 tonight to get to it. I know I still need to get the step results posted. I’m trying to push myself. I’ll get there, promise. Have a good night. ❤️
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    @Terytha So sorry you have to go through this. How unfair and stressful as well. My husband has dealt with the job uncertainty early in his career and it is incredibly stressful and so scary. Hope you have people around you to learn on. Things will work out, it's just hard to see the future at the moment. Take care and vent when needed!
    @jugar How dare our cars let us down and cost money! It's so easy to take them for granted when everything is going great. Hope you are able to solve the problem and get back to loving your car again. Nice work noticing the issue with too many grains.
    @Gidgitgoescrazy Hope you are able to figure out what is best for your family's health. Bummer decision to have to make.
    @evelynladams527 Sounds like you have done some great reflections and cut back on some responsibilities! Good for you 👍

Today has been a pretty good day. Got my morning workout in but still had technical issues. I just watched my video on my phone but not as good as the TV. Either way I did it and that's what counts! We had tons of kids gone today. We also have auditors in our building all week so kind of a weird week. I had extra time to train our new therapist and show her how to do an evaluation. Got home a little early and ate to much junk while I cooked dinner. I call this the hungry Caterpillar diet. If you have ever read this popular kids book by Eric Carle you will know what I'm talking about. Basically you eat healthy all day, then go on a rampage and eat a bunch of crap, finally you eat a salad and feel all better😊 Long story short I need to reevaluate my afternoon snack attack. I need to go back to having fruit or a baby bel cheese. I use to keep a note in my snack cupboard that just said "more snacks in the fridge " It was my cue to pick fresh foods not chips. Going to need my note again!
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Well, my eating has been horrible and my baby wants to play during my workouts. I think I am going to have to workout after work and leave the littles at daycare a little longer. I really hate this idea but I dont know what else to do.

Mon Steps 16,966
    Tues Steps 12,277

@terytha that sounds scary. I really hope things calm down for you so you don't have to leave. I can't even imagine.
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    @Terytha Well that sucks, I hope things work out for you.

@YinxFed I have a beginners zumba video where it teaches you the basic steps as if you are a uncoordinated 6 year old... Well I am apparently an uncoordinated 3 year old, because I can't get it... It just feels so odd... lol but they make it look so easy...

Steps for 3/10 - 8089

Yesterday was good, kinda... the Lifesavers and assorted mints bowl sucked me in, I tracked them, but goodness it really seems as though sugar increases my appetite, if I stay away I can stay on track so much better... I went over calories, but not horribly...

We aren't going to decide about the 5k until Saturday morning, we have till noon to defer our entry.. We will still go pick up our stuff that morning... It's not a big deal, like hubby said if we have to defer, we can go to a park and do our own 5k and go for a beer afterwards.. lol I paid alot for my shamrock socks so I am wearing them either way !

So I thought DST was really going to mess with my morning routine but it hasn't, so thats awesome... I did bump my yoga to beg 2, although it really doesn't seem any different from beg 1... I think I am going to change my pilates videos next week, to give myself some more challenge.. I also want to change something about my other routine, I know your supposed to change it up every few weeks, and I'd really like to add some strength training in there, but if I don't do a video or a walk, I don' t get my steps in, so I can't give those up... Maybe I can add something to the beginning or end of the walks.. I don't know I'll have to think on it...

Have a great day everyone !

• Gidgitgoescrazy
    Options
    aca09vsz8kic.jpg

Thought I would share this with you all, this is the app I use for Yoga and Barre... They are making it free until April 1st...
  • jugar
    Options
    So I thought DST was really going to mess with my morning routine but it hasn't, so that's awesome... I did bump my yoga to beg 2, although it really doesn't seem any different from beg 1... I think I am going to change my pilates videos next week, to give myself some more challenge.. I also want to change something about my other routine, I know your supposed to change it up every few weeks, and I'd really like to add some strength training in there, but if I don't do a video or a walk, I don' t get my steps in, so I can't give those up... Maybe I can add something to the beginning or end of the walks.. I don't know I'll have to think on it...

You are strong against the DST!! Good for you - I have been early one day, late the next - all over the map. And suppertime? So confused...

I think you are right to up and mix up your exercise routines. You want to keep working all those muscles and giving them new challenges, but not completely change everything that is already working well. I am crazy about short kettlebell workouts - there is a site that has tons of free info and a long list of 4-minute circuits that go from total beginner up to I-will-never-be-able-to-do that level. The guy demonstrates and explains so clearly, and you don't need the video once you know the 3 or 4 moves in each circuit. You only need 1 kettlebell, at least to start with, so it isn't too expensive. Anyone who is interested - check out https://kettlebellsworkouts.com/ If you sign up, you get so much free stuff you never really need to pay for one of his programs :smiley: KB mixes well with Pilates, yoga, etc - lots of muscles worked in full body moves. And the moves are fun. Not as fun as zumba and you won't look nearly as cool, though!

And thanks for the link to the Down Dog app - they are doing a great thing there.
  • jugar
    Options
    Well, my eating has been horrible and my baby wants to play during my workouts. I think I am going to have to workout after work and leave the littles at daycare a little longer. I really hate this idea but I dont know what else to do.

Mon Steps 16,966
    Tues Steps 12,277

@terytha that sounds scary. I really hope things calm down for you so you don't have to leave. I can't even imagine.

Yikes. Too bad babies are not as still as dumbbells! We sure do spend a lot of time lifting them and slinging them about. Is the weather good enough for the baby backpack and jogging stroller approach? Or you could try dramamine :tongue:
  • offitgoes
    offitgoes Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    PW: 177
    CW: 176.2
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    COVID-19 is now here. Husband works at a hospital so... not looking good for me!

I'm not worried. It's just like pneumonia, I've had that before.
  • jugar
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    COVID-19 is now here. Husband works at a hospital so... not looking good for me!

I'm not worried. It's just like pneumonia, I've had that before.

So good that you are young and healthy! I worry about my husband who has severe asthma and other health issues. I will try not to bring this home! So far, the only cases in Québec are in Montreal, but things can change fast. I hope you and your husband stay well anyhow - pneumonia is not much fun...
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Options
    jugar wrote: »

I think you are right to up and mix up your exercise routines. You want to keep working all those muscles and giving them new challenges, but not completely change everything that is already working well. I am crazy about short kettlebell workouts - there is a site that has tons of free info and a long list of 4-minute circuits that go from total beginner up to I-will-never-be-able-to-do that level. The guy demonstrates and explains so clearly, and you don't need the video once you know the 3 or 4 moves in each circuit. You only need 1 kettlebell, at least to start with, so it isn't too expensive. Anyone who is interested - check out https://kettlebellsworkouts.com/ If you sign up, you get so much free stuff you never really need to pay for one of his programs :smiley: KB mixes well with Pilates, yoga, etc - lots of muscles worked in full body moves. And the moves are fun. Not as fun as zumba and you won't look nearly as cool, though!

And thanks for the link to the Down Dog app - they are doing a great thing there.

I do have a kettlebell, am scared to death to swing it though, I just know I will hit myself or throw it across the room... lol BUT I bought myself a rower to put next to the treadmill... this will help when my tootsies are giving me troubles too.... I told my hubby I wouldn't need a rower if we could canoe without the motor... That reminds me there was one time we were out on the canoe and I told him I wanted to paddle a bit, so he said okay, so I start paddling, and about 15 minutes into it, I said, wow I'm impressed you haven't complained once.. I looked back and that "lovely person" had his hand on the motor going super slow...

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    All right well this year's theme seems to have become fear and the facing thereof, so I have done another thing that scares me: booked with the dentist.

I am terrified of dentists but well, gotta. Gotta go. While I have the benefits.

I am less scared of them than husband, who has not been since his age was single digits. He's an army brat and I guess their dentist once strapped him to a table to get him to stop wiggling and threatened to break his jaw so he's had a phobia since.

My dentist however is super nice and is letting me bring him to hold my hand so he can watch and maybe become less afraid.

I hope this works because needing dentures is much worse than a teeth cleaning.
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I hope you're all keeping healthy!

Did my workout this morning (week 4 of an 8 week Fitness Blender programme). This morning's session was only half an hour, but seriously kicked my b*tt.

@Gidgitgoescrazy I regularly punch myself in the face accidentally while kick boxing, so I hear where you're coming from with your concerns about your kettlebell, but I say "do it - just be careful! "
    Took the pooch for her 6-weekly grooming session this afternoon (bath, nails and some lovely doggy scent!). Then hubby and I went out to my sister in law and her husband for supper before going to the cinema to watch 1917. A good film, I would recommend it.

It was nice for us to do something different, especially as we both work from home. Good food choices too.

Good night all!
  • micki48
    Options
    cory17 wrote: »
    It is a dramafest at home, again. I went in for estate planning, 2nd marriage & we both have grown kids. My dh wants everything to go to him w/no strings (I bought a house 6 yrs before him that is now paid off) but that would potentially cut my kids out completely. I'm tired of this pressure and trying to be fair to all, even included HIS kids.
    Saw myself in the mirror yesterday (different shirt hadn't worn before) yikes and double yikes!
    So I have to lose weight so can live forever and outlive everyone.

Yikes!!! That is drama for sure. I was one of the children in a similar situation with my dad. His other wanted it all to go to her. We implored him that it was not fair to our mother’s memory as our mother worked just as hard for all they had and wouldn’t want it to go to new wife and her family in the event of dad’s death. Well, he mostly listened, but not before heartbreaking drama and injured relationships. I hate to tell you this, but in the end, when he died, she was just awful. I mean REALLY awful. Ended up telling us she never really loved him and threw his stuff out on the trash. But not before getting a good share of the day to day income and stiffing us for the funeral bill, by taking the money from the fire department that was meant for his funeral costs. I guess I’m trying to say, think of your own kids, don’t let dh pressure you. That’s not what love is about. And put everything in writing (legally) that pertains to your final wishes. ❤️
  • micki48
    Options
    @Terytha You sure have it coming from every direction. Sending virtual hugs to you. This economic collapse, COVID-19, and dentist visit all in one short period. We will get through this like you said. Wash your hands ALOT. But remember one of the best ways to relieve stress is to exercise. Be sure to keep up your exercising, especially during this very tough time. Hoping for the best outcome for you and hubs.
  • micki48
    Options
    @Gidgitgoescrazy @jugar Thanks for the exercise tips. I will check out down dog app and I may have to check out those kettlebell videos and break out my kettlebell after a long hiatus. With social distancing being a thing now, the more things I can do at home the better.

I have had a stressful time lately. My family, on both ends, is mad at me (or making fun of me, maybe IDK) regarding my upcoming trip to Mexico in May. I am concerned about taking the trip in light of the spread of COVID-19. I mentioned this on social media and was even told if I cancelled I would be disowned. I said I wasn’t sure if the person was serious or kidding and got no response other than let me know if you’re canceling. My daughter is telling me I should not go because of this and there are more and more warnings from WHO and CDC every day. I have insurance, but it would be a voucher I think, not my money back. Ugh. I have really looked forward to this trip, but I’m not going with dh, and don’t want to get quarantined and delay my return. I don’t think I’m being ridiculous about this. It is a real concern. Then argued with dh this afternoon about another matter. Stress level HIGH. I took that non-napping baby, put her in the stroller and we went for a walk. Half way down my street I could feel the stress easing. She’s telling me “all done” and trying to get free of her straps. I told her Mom Mom is not done. We are taking a walk. We are done when we get back home. I guess my point is exercise really helps stress and thanks for letting me dump.
  • jugar
    Options
    Sounds like today is anxiety day! Lots of concerns. Here are my thoughts on a few of them.

You are right to be careful about starting out with kettlebells @Gidgitgoescrazy and anyone else. Do NOT swing right away! You need to start with the basics, which is why I recommend that site. Greg Brookes is meticulous about making sure that the steps are all taken so that you do not injure yourself. I found him after having emergency hernia surgery on an umbilical hernia caused by a really crappy kettlebell coach! Do not do what I did. Start with the moves without KB, then deadlifts, etc. Even from the beginning these moves are really good for you though. I hope you give it a try, but starting easy.

Social isolation. I am about to enter a period of same. My husband is in such a high risk group that I have to cancel a trip to visit my dad, and we're going to limit outside activities as much as possible. There is only one confirmed case in our entire area, but that could change fast - so I'm glad to have such a great place to live in the middle of the woods far from everyone! I just hope that many people do the same so that the curve gets really flat really fast, and this all goes away. And in the meantime, handwashingRus.

Yes, @cory17 - your idea to lose weight and outlive everyone is perfect :wink: You got this!

@micki48 your advice to use exercise to counter the stress of all this is the best. Family dramas, pandemics, economic woes, canoeing without a motor, punching oneself in the face - exercise helps it all!!!

Have a great humpday evening, everyone. Only 2 weigh-ins for Thursday:
    @cory17
    @eggfreak

and don't worry - we won't be upset if all this stress has had a bad effect on the "bottom line"!
This discussion has been closed.