WAISTAWAYS Team Chat - April 2020

Options

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,100 Member
    Options
    @evangsimmons170 you will make a comeback for sure! Actually, you don't need to make a comeback, because you're doing well right now. Sure, maybe it wasn't a perfect week, but you know what to do, and your clothes are fitting better!

@YinxFed you too - great day, it sounds like. I especially like the part with just a little bit of work squeezed around workouts, dog walks, mask making, Spanish study, and healthy eating. That seems like a good balance to me!

@Terytha hang in there! Let us know as soon as you have your results. The structure of work is something you miss most when it is gone - I hope you find some self-structure mojo that gives you some joy. I was thinking today that we should have a bubble bath marathon or something to replace Foam Fest. You're the one who inspired me to sign up for that, so if we can't go, let's do something silly with bubbles and a garden hose, a mud puddle, and whatever else we can come up with. I'm bummed the real ones probably won't happen, but we can try to cook up a zoom fest of some kind. Keep well and if you have any ideas about a team challenge or something, that might help us all. :heart:

We had a rare day today - TWO visitors! These days no one comes here, but this morning, I was sitting at my desk and looked out the window to see a man walk by. I could hear my husband in the kitchen, so it was not him! It turned out to be someone from the "blow up team" as we call them. There is a quarry nearby where they dynamite from time to time, and someone from the team comes here to set up a device to record the strength of the vibrations. We had some trouble with our artesian well running low last year, so they agreed to make sure that the dynamiting isn't causing it. They are really nice about it, but today the call that they were coming came after the guy had already arrived! Then as I was making supper, someone knocked on the door and walked in - my son had come up to get some things he had in the basement! It was wonderful to see him. He has lost weight he didn't have to lose -- not enough mama cooking since he left this winter! His job is very physical, so he has a hard time keeping weight on (POOR THING!!). Maybe I'll just have to cook up a batch of something for him...

So final Friday weights due (you know who you are!), and heads up for Saturday people:
    @Terytha
    @Micki48
    @lovethyneighbor
    @matthewsfive

thanks!
  • jugar
    Options
    AmyRobF wrote: »
    I’m going to take a break from the group for a bit. I haven’t been doing well and just not feeling it at this time. I’m going to try on my own and see where that takes me! I will still come and see how everyone is!

We'll keep you on the "cheer squad"! You can come by any time, and if you want to weigh in you can, but it is not required at all :sweat_smile: It is a crazy time, and I totally get not feeling it - but you are always welcome.
  • jguldi11
    jguldi11 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi team! Thank you for accepting me, I've been looking for a support team for a while and I'm so happy a friend posted about this group!

About me - I'm Jackie, age 30, 5'5", 245lbs. I live in Michigan with my husband, our dog Oliver, and cat Fiona. I work as a therapist for dual diagnosis clients (substance use and mental health disorders) so I spend a LOT of time sitting on my butt in session or doing the endless amounts of paperwork.

I have been overweight my entire life, and when I was 16 I was diagnosed with PCOS, which in some ways was helpful "yay I have something to blame" but also not so helpful "what's the point in trying?". I tried all the fad diets with little success and lots of frustration. I've been on and off MFP since 2009 I think.

About 3 years ago I reached my heaviest weight at 269lbs and I decided to kick it into gear. I started logging everything, participated in the community boards, exercising, eating (mostly) right and lost 45lbs in about 1.5 years. Unfortunately stress and other factors got in the way and I stopped trying, lost and gained the same 5-10lbs for a while, and since being stuck at home the last 6 weeks I've gone back up to 245lbs. I'm not okay with this! I want to be healthy, I want to have a baby, and I want to have physical endurance, and I know I have to lose weight to achieve these goals.

I started logging everything again a week ago, taking the dog for walks most days, and doing home workouts the other days. I saw a friend Mari post about this group and decided to check it out. I was nervous at first but I know how important having community support is in any lifestyle change, so here I am!
  • jugar
    Options
    Welcome @jguldi11 ! I think you have a fantastic attitude, all the right reasons, and I hope our lovely team here can provide some added support and inspiration. Mari is AMAZING and she got me into this whole thing too - it has been helpful for many.

Just a few pointers:
    • The most important thing is to post daily and keep up with the team if at all possible. Even if you just tell about your banal day, complain about how you ate all the cookies, or laugh about how much fun you had out with the dog - it is all good.
    • Set a few small goals and report on those daily. Things like logging all your food, getting 30 minutes of exercise, whatever you set. We have a habit tracker you can use if you want to - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kfm2zGAheqpXKG4o3sj-sWen5bx6p14e12M1n0QhG9M/edit?usp=sharing Go to the bottom of the page, pick WaistAways, add your name and 1-5 habits you want to track.
    • If you have any ideas for challenges or discussions, post them! No idea is too "out there" to consider.
    • If you track steps, join our step team! @micki48 records daily steps and announces the totals every week. It is fun to see them add up. We will soon be adding some tracking for non-step exercises too. Stay tuned!
    Good luck! It's great to have you on board. :heart:
  • jguldi11
    jguldi11 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thank you @jugar !
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    @micki48 my steps for yesterday (24th April) were: 5607

Greetings team - and welcome jguldi11, I think you'll like it here!

Musings on Saturday (it's currently early evening in Worcestershire, UK). This morning I did my workout, under the watchful gaze of Edie, my pooch. Then I updated my diary for next week - since lockdown, I've started to put fun things in my diary as well as the serious stuff. I also scheduled all of next week's workouts (I rather enjoy this job!).

Tiresome household chores have been done, and I had a few things that I needed to order online - check! I also have a house project that I am going to complete before supper - and that's to bring new life to my staircase. (I'm very excited about this - I might even share photos!)

Supper will be steak and chips, and I have decided to have a gin and tonic - my reward (and motivation) for doing the staircase.

Enjoy your Saturday, Friends!
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Saturday weigh in
    PW 191.5
    CW 191.2

Sorry I haven’t checked in lately. I’m working on reading all your news. It’s just been hard to do for me for some reason. I don’t know why. This is a weird time but now I have my family here for the weekend. I haven’t seen my son in four months and we finally felt we were willing to take a chance. They’ve been quarantined and so have we.

I try to write more later.
  • Steph1498
    Steph1498 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Ok I need help with how to record my weight for the team. My old scale shows 161.4. My new shows 165.4. I’d like to use the old scale weight until the end of the month. Then swap to the new scale at the beginning of the month.
    Is that cheating?
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    PW: 219.0
    CW: 219.0

No weight change this week. I have been walking but need to get back to my workout videos. It has been nice outside so I feel guilty staying inside to exercise! It's cloudy and cold today so indoor workouts will be easier. I have been working on eating more vegetables and getting my water. I'm doing better with work stress. My husband and I have decided to cancel our family trip to the ocean. It will most likely not work out anyway. It's okay, we have been the past two years so we aren't missing a new experience. We usually dig for agates and we still have gravel we haven't gone through from last year. We have a Cabin on 60 acres we can camp on this summer. My husband's aunt and uncle have a lake place near us with a private beach. We will have fun and practice social distancing if its still needed.

@Steph1498 I think switching to the new scale in May sounds like a good plan.

@offitgoes So sad for your loss. Thinking of you. It is so hard to say goodbye to our beloved pets.

@micki48 enjoy your time with family. I hope they lift your spirits!

@terytha Hope you don't have to wait for test results for too long. Hugs

Welcome to our new members!
  • jugar
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    Last April Weigh-in: 186

Augh. Just. TAUNTING ME. I swear.
    Ahhhh but it is NOT the last April weigh-in!!! There is one more week to go! Give it your all!
  • jugar
    Options
    Steph1498 wrote: »
    Ok I need help with how to record my weight for the team. My old scale shows 161.4. My new shows 165.4. I’d like to use the old scale weight until the end of the month. Then swap to the new scale at the beginning of the month.
    Is that cheating?

No! That is fine!! It is the one you have been using, so there is no problem. Next Saturday, use the old scale as well (that is the last weigh-in for April) but also post the weight on the new scale. I will use the old scale number for April week 5, and the new one for May starting weight. Those are usually the same, but in this case we can use that moment to move you over to the new scale without have a week with a bad gain showing up. OK?
  • jugar
    Options
    Only one more weigh in due - @lovethyneighbor I hope you're doing OK and can get that in before the early hours of Sunday! :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.