Doom, Despair, and Agony on Me! (aka a whine thread)

Options

Replies

• papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    My tops are getting too big but I can't go to the store to buy new and I have no idea what size to order online.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    papayahed wrote: »
    My tops are getting too big but I can't go to the store to buy new and I have no idea what size to order online.

I know that problem! If I shop in a store, what size I get really depends on the store and even the style. I bought a Time and Tru T-short this weekend at Walmart in a size 20 (which was exciting since that comes from the regular ladies section and not the plus size!). But other types of shirts in that section in that size are too tight. Usually, I'm getting 22/24 size shirts. But if I go to Woman Within, I already know I'd probably have to order a 16/18, even though that would not match up at all with their sizing charts by my measurements!

Making my own clothing is the same issue: I really have no idea what size to make, because the pattern sizes going by measurements don't match the ready wear sizes they are supposed to match up with, and I have the same problem in that making the size according to the measurements still doesn't match my measurements!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    papayahed wrote: »

I am having the same problem...my granddaughter asked me why my shirts were so long!....presently shirts that were waist length are hanging past my thighs lol
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I definitely need new summer clothes and am very hesitant to purchase because of losing weight. So, had a big discount, a gift card, and a big sale at Woman Within. Bought two short /Tshirt sleep sets and 5 tank or Ts. Great final cost; free shipping. Since I know my lockdown will continue at least to end of May, I figure I can get away with jammies and short sleep sets using the new tops ... and they should be wearable even if I drop a size or two. If I need to, I can chop off a couple of pants and belt them so they'll fit. By end of May, I should be down a full size and can order a couple of new jeans/tops. Then I'll be looking at buying new winter clothes. If I ever get out of lockdown, I can go to the 2nd hand stores to see what I can find. Sure would help my wallet if I could do it that way!!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I hate to order online...especially when I have no idea what size I am in now...hopefully Lane Bryant will have some huge sales after the lockdown is over...I like Walmart for every day Ts but our local store has sections of the store that you can’t shop in...I guess I will have to wait!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I know I"m going to need shorts this year. I kept my capris out this winter and can only wear the ones that have drawstrings or belt loops, and my shorts are all the same size as the capris.

I don't know the new Walmart plus size clothing brand - it really messes with the sizing, calling a 30/32 a 4X, a 26/28 a 3X, and so on. They even have a chart up to show how they are using vanity sizing and moving everything down. I wish women's clothing was sized like men's clothing - waist size and bust size actual numbers instead! It is what it is - my waist is 42 inches, so I buy shorts and pants size 42 not 2X, 1L, 20W, whatever!

Anyway, I won't be getting my shorts at Walmart, so I"m going to have to wait until the local clothing store opens back up. I absolutely intend to make sure all my shorts I buy have drawstrings or belt loops; that way I can get some wear out of them!
  • papayahed
    Options
    Right? that's the other bad part..even if I can find some tops how long until I'm out of those? On the other hand...What a good problem to have!!

My other heartburn at the moment. What a total mind screw it is on the days when I have to "find" something else to eat to meet my calorie goal.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    This is one reason that I've learned to cook a lot of the American Chinese dishes; we like them, and I can make a sugar-free General Tso's and a low-sodium hot and sour soup, and make my boyfriend really happy with dishes he didn't think he could have otherwise.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I dislike remnant calories. Usually I will just bank them and eat something more the next day. Lately I have been trying to eat closer to the line because of the activity demands and it is pain. I do not mind leaving 150 calorie for the next day but anything more I end up eating one of the many variety of bars I now own for this occurrence.
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380 - I have the same issue, but it's the worst around my lower abdomen where I carried most of my weight. My plan is to keep up with the weight loss for about 20 more pounds, maintain for a year, and see what happens to the saggy skin. It might improve, or I may decide that I can live with it. If I decide I can't, I'll explore surgery.

Regarding breasts - I gave up on having ones that stand up and salute hello after having two children. They aren't coming back without surgical help. But a well fitted bra can work wonders. And based on my own experience, when you lose a bit more, spanx and high-waisted jeans will hold that flabby tummy in as well as a tummy tuck. Even my saggy tummy still has some subcutaneous fat remaining that I am hoping the next 20 pounds will address.

Right now I definitely look better with my clothes on than with them off. But I'm okay with that. My body is in transition and it's never been perfect. But I still love the way I look.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    @speyerj I've always looked better with clothes than without, so I'm used to that! I've lost 120 lbs and I'm 40 years old - there's only so much high-waisted jeans and spanx can do to hold my fat roll in, and no amount of further weight loss is going to tug that skin in; I've been obese since I was at least in junior high and that's a lot of years of stretching out! At my highest weight, I was in 30/32W's and was buying men's 56 pants. I'm down to 20W in pants now and would probably be in a 44 maybe a 42 men's pants. That's a lot of inches of fat last but a lot of skin left behind!

I do acknowledge, though, that well fitted bras do wonders :) I put on a brand new bra this morning and then pulled on a form fitting rashguard for my walk, and I was shocked when I looked in the mirror; I looked something like a smaller form of Dolly Parton lol :grin:

On the subject of high waisted jeans: finding those suckers is akin to searching for the holy grail! Especially if you want straight leg or classic NOT skinny jeans! Though the local clothing store seemed to have a few more pair before the shutdown; I wonder if they are slowly making a comeback from the low waisted jeans, which I despise?
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Ugh....last night I fell on the pop out thingy on the couch to prop your feet on...long story including trying to suffocate myself with my face buried in the sofa trying to get up!...poured ice water all over me and dog thinking I was playing and me crying and laughing at the same time....broke my toe and bruised my knees and arm,toes, foot and back...couldn’t sleep until 5:30 this morning, 2 Tylenol PM and 2 pain pills...needless to say, I feel like crap...the only thing that gave me any relief was finding a box of fresh donuts on the kitchen counter when I got up...I ate the last three and now I feel bad again....hopefully my toe will heal quickly or I will gain a ton!
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380, high-waisted jeans are making a comeback! I just ordered 3 pairs from Old Navy and they had flair, boot and skinny leg styles.
  • papayahed
    Options
    Ugh, the saggy skin under my arms makes me crazy mostly because one side is more saggy than the other.

Dang @conniewilkins56 sounds like you had a time, I hope you feel better soon!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    speyerj wrote: »
    @bmeadows380, high-waisted jeans are making a comeback! I just ordered 3 pairs from Old Navy and they had flair, boot and skinny leg styles.

that is wonderful news! I'll have to keep an eye out!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    How can I have gained ten pounds in a 36 hour binge?...I have had it
  • NovusDies
    Options
    How can I have gained ten pounds in a 36 hour binge?...I have had it

That is probably what I would gain too. Most of the time I do not actively try to avoid the small water weight gains because it leads to bad ways of thinking and restriction but the big ones are hard on me. When I balloon up 20 pounds it impacts my exercise and then I feel bad getting rid of it because it drains my electrolytes. Also, anything above 8 pounds is still a shock for me when I see it on the scale. I can let it go but knowing it will take more than 10 days to get rid of it all is annoying.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,312 Member
    Options
    I am so annoyed that all my pants are getting too big! (This is the dumbest thing to whine about.)

Connie, I'm sorry about your short-term gain. I know can't be all real gain, but I know how much I hate those big upswings. Hang in there.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I am so annoyed that all my pants are getting too big! (This is the dumbest thing to whine about.)

Connie, I'm sorry about your short-term gain. I know can't be all real gain, but I know how much I hate those big upswings. Hang in there.

It is not dumb. It is a constant source of irritation. While it is worth celebrating that it is a definitive sign of weight loss it is no fun spending most of your time in between sizes. It is probably worse for some of us larger losers because we go through so many sizes. I put it off and then by the time I size down it is already on the loose side. So basically nothing ever fits correctly.