WAISTAWAYS Team Chat - MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,043 Member
    Options
    It's called " If the creek don't rise" By Leah Weiss - it's her 1st novel... My genre is usually light, fun reads, I wouldn't call them romance, but there is usually that in them, there is always a strong female character who overcomes something... Or dogs, there are alot of books about dogs on my shelves... I'm not big into mystery, or murder types such as Dean Koontz.. One of my favorite series was the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, although that took me years to get through because I prefer a quicker read, I tend to have a short attention span, so something I can get done in a week with just a few hours a night, is usually all I go for. I read solely for pleasure, not to learn anything, lol...

Dog books! I have two great suggestions. Adam's Task by Vicki Hearne, and Scent of the Missing by Susannah Charleson. These are books I thoroughly enjoyed, even though I cannot have dogs any more due to my husband's asthma. If ever I outlive him, first thing is a dog! I'll even name it after him... And other lighter funner reads - I'll plow through some of my collection and see if I have any good recommendations.
  • jugar
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    How my brain works:

I need to walk more.
    Actually, I need to drink more water.
    Oh, I need to water my plant.
    *pours water bottle on plant, does not drink any*
    Why am I so dehydrated?

Sigh. I didn't sleep until late last night again because I was thinking about a comic/show that I got husband hooked on with me and then started writing a story in my head again.

People who are bored in quarantine confuse me, since between books/games and the hours I can spend lost in my own head I don't remember ever feeling bored.
    I am beginning to understand why I like you so much! In my own head? yep. Super bubble? yep. Weird wanderings of the mind? They are the most fun - but not the most practical. So pour some water down your gullet and keep wandering around in there :smiley:
  • EvMakesChanges
    EvMakesChanges Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @jugar 183.3
    Not quite the right direction. Darn. I’ve been walking more and doing better with food so, next week should be better.
    More soon!
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    It was a very rainy Wednesday! I totally agree on the boredom thing! I just wish the school year here would end so I could more fully commit myself to my own bubble and wondering thoughts. I just have to make it to June 18th. Work was busy and draining today. I was really in a crabby mood when I finished. I just didn't feel like doing anything but I talked myself into going outside. Grabbed my headphones and my rain jacket and did a walk jog workout for about 40 minutes. It felt great when I was done. It was definitely a challenge. I don't do a lot of running but have added a little running in here and there. Mostly to get in shape for hiking. Do any of you feel like you are running in slow motion when you run? I hate that feeling, like your legs just barely want to move even though in your mind you know your still going. So far this week I have had 2 days where I didn't eat my exercise calories and I have stayed out of the chocolate completely.
    @jugar the pic of the eggs was taken April 27th and the pic of the little bare chicks was May 14th. The feathered chicks was taken yesterday.
  • CanadianGiraffe
    CanadianGiraffe Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Today ended up being an indoor day although we didn't get as much rain as was forecast. We finished a puzzle that I got for Mother's Day. So pretty much a lazy kind of day but a body needs that every once in a while.
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    @jugar PW 160.5, CW 158.5
    @micki48 I LOVE that 'purposefully inefficient'!!
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    So I did 3 miles this morning, that was kinda tough, cause I get up use the bathroom, change my clothes, and put on the video... No coffee, no food, just bam 30 minutes of low impact aerobics, today it was 45... I will enjoy my breakfast this morning for sure !

Yesterday my steps were.... 13,040 and 15 minutes of Yoga, it was restorative yoga, so it was sitting on the floor stretching, it was AWESOME...

So my daughter is almost all moved out, and I've ordered all of the furniture for the room, I am turning it into a library kinda, it will have a Futon/couch, and nice cushy armchair, and a nifty bookshelf that is geometrical, and kinda funky.. It will also have a TV, because I will make that my room to do my morning video... It's weird my kids are all leaving me, the oldest is planning to move out in Dec... So when he does, it will mean all 3 of my kids moved out within 18 months of each other.. ( atleast they all spaced it out enough to let me re-do each room) But ya know I am not sad, I am happy about it, I am ready for them to spread thier wings and experience life.. and I'm ready to experience life without them in my space, I've waited 27 years for this... It's me time, and I'm excited for it... :)

Okay, hope you all have a wonderful day...

PS. I'm jealous of all you green thumbs, I've already killed one of my two tomato plants... I don't know why I try... My Snowball bush got hit by a fungus, and is all wilted and ugly now... the only thing I can ever get to grow, is my lemon grass, and the petunias I put in my front containers, and thats because my neighbor waters them for me, when she does hers...

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Book recommendations are my favorite thing to go on about. I read a LOT.

For non-fiction, I always tell people to hit up Will Ferguson. Hitching Rides With Buddha is about the time he hitchhiked from one end of Japan to the other and is in parts hysterically funny, and in other parts achingly sad. I Was a Teenage Katima-Victim is another, about his time in an old youth employment initiative in Canada.

For YA, I recommend So You Want To Be a Wizard. It's book one but you don't really need to read the other books, they are their own stories mostly. They're all good. Kinda Harry Potter-ish but with more science, talking animals, space travel and useful adults.

Romance is tricky because I mostly only read romance in comic form these days. I like Jennifer Crusie though, she writes realistic people with real people problems. Bet Me is my favorite of hers.

And of course, I universally think everyone alive should read Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. Particularly Night Watch, for the origin of the Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness and because of the best main character ever. But also Thief of Time for the puns, Rule 1, and the horsemen of the apocalypse getting the band back together.
  • jugar
    Options
    Hi gang,

I'm real behind in reading everyone's posts. I've been back to work for the past 3 weeks now at least 4 days a week. Life is extremely busy closing out the school year. I'm going to skip weighing in tomorrow due to excessive fluid retention. I've been drinking lots of water and taking my BP meds and diuretic, but the fluid is stubbornly hanging on. I'll be sure to get my weigh-in posted for next Friday (5/29/20).

Gotta run....lots of phone conferences the rest of the afternoon.

Hugs to you! And no problem for the week off. It must be crazy. :heart:
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    It was a very rainy Wednesday! I totally agree on the boredom thing! I just wish the school year here would end so I could more fully commit myself to my own bubble and wondering thoughts. I just have to make it to June 18th. Work was busy and draining today. I was really in a crabby mood when I finished. I just didn't feel like doing anything but I talked myself into going outside. Grabbed my headphones and my rain jacket and did a walk jog workout for about 40 minutes. It felt great when I was done. It was definitely a challenge. I don't do a lot of running but have added a little running in here and there. Mostly to get in shape for hiking. Do any of you feel like you are running in slow motion when you run? I hate that feeling, like your legs just barely want to move even though in your mind you know your still going. So far this week I have had 2 days where I didn't eat my exercise calories and I have stayed out of the chocolate completely.
    @jugar the pic of the eggs was taken April 27th and the pic of the little bare chicks was May 14th. The feathered chicks was taken yesterday.

I haven’t run since I was a teen, but lately I’ve been jogging in place and around my house. It’s pretty hysterical. I also did a running video by Pahla. I think @Andreabroadley mentioned her here. But I totally get what you’re saying about the running in slow motion. I think that’s why it’s funny. Sometimes I think I can walk faster. The great part is I can do it and I can tell my cardiovascular health is better because I am not getting out of breath even after 10 minutes. My bestie was out running 10 miles today. I’m no where near that and doubt I’ll ever be, but every small gain is a positive.
    eggfreak wrote: »
    @jugar PW 160.5, CW 158.5
    @micki48 I LOVE that 'purposefully inefficient'!!

Great loss, Sylvia!! Way to go!!🎉👏🏼👏🏼
    PW: 220.6
    CW: 218.0

Awesome loss!!! Wahoo🎉👏🏼👏🏼

Hit my step goal today, but had to work at it. Everything I did was inside as it has been pouring for four days. I used this board that you twist on that I’ve had for awhile. It was a lot of work even for 11 minutes. Then walked around my house in circles for 21 minutes.

My eating today was pretty good. I may have splurged a bit for dinner. Not awful. We had a gift certificate for my FAVORITE restaurant so we decided to use it with curbside pick up. We figured why not. We won’t be going to restaurants any time soon. It was soooo good. I had this amazing Ahi Tuna. Oh so good.

I hope it didn’t mess up my progress because my weight was down this morning. We shall see.
    Take care❤️

• CanadianGiraffe
    CanadianGiraffe Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    And of course, I universally think everyone alive should read Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. Particularly Night Watch, for the origin of the Boots Theory of Socioeconomic Unfairness and because of the best main character ever. But also Thief of Time for the puns, Rule 1, and the horsemen of the apocalypse getting the band back together.
    Oh yes! My sons got me reading these a few years back. I especially remember "Going Postal" and "Thud". Don't think I read "Night Watch" so I'm going to see if I can get it on my e-reader from the library.
    They also put me onto Neil Gaiman. I particularly enjoyed "Neverwhere".

• jugar
    Options
    Wow - thanks for the reading suggestions! I need something new and different.

Well, here we are almost at Friday again! Get ready, Friday people -
    @KellyBgetsFit
    @Steph1498
    @SMcFall0215
    @CanadianGiraffe

I hope you had a good day today - I really enjoyed it. Yesterday was a bit too hot, but today was perfect and I got a lot done. Luckily, this included making a fantastic batch of strawberry-mango sorbet. After working hard outside, it was delicious.

I had one annoyance today. Yesterday, I braved a store visit to get some special fertiliser for the blueberries, currants, and rhubarb. It is an organic product made for acid-loving plants like these, and I spent quite a bit of time carefully applying it 5" deep in narrow holes. I felt good having done something to make our berries and rhubarb even better for this year. Late this morning, my husband was looking out over the berry bushes and asked if I had dug up all the earth around them. I was mystified, and we went down to look. Some animal had dug up every single carefully made hole to get at the fertiliser in it. There was earth everywhere, and MUCH bigger holes than I had made - I just hope that animal has a terrible stomach ache now. It was probably either a groundhog or a skunk, but it could sure dig. I spent over an hour re-filling the holes and hoping the roots are not too damaged. Curses!
  • jguldi11
    jguldi11 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    @micki48 I had also jog in place and around the house to get my steps in! haha I'm sure it looks silly but oh well!

Step update:
    5/20: 7,478
    5/21: 7,111

My garden has dried out and my plants are doing well. Basement is a bit wet but nothing to complain about. The same can't be said for many people's homes and it's terribly sad. Fortunately though there doesn't seem to be any loss of life reported so hopefully that means everyone evacuated in time. Prayers for Michigan!!

I've been very hungry again this week. I don't think it's stress related, it's not really a craving issue, just feeling stomach rumbling hunger. Went over calorie goal a couole days. Still have a deficit overall for the week but it could be better.

Other than drinking water/tea or chewing gum, what do you to fight off hunger?
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the book recommendations, I have started a list in my journal, I won't buy books from Amazon - I try to only buy books at an actual bookstore because I don't want them to die, and they are all closed still... My husband hates when I go to the book store, I could browse for hours, and spend a small fortune...

So yesterday, I got home my daughter was there so I helped her pack a little and it totally threw my exercise off, so I didn't get Pilates done, but it is raining here all day, and I get off at 2, so I will do both Pilates and Yoga today... I did get on the treadmill though - So steps for 5/21= 13,263

I would have never thought I could be the person who could get 10k steps a day during the work week, but here I am killing it... I am proud of myself... I'm just not so sure how sustainable it is, but man do I feel good, last night I thought I would take this morning off, but I did not, I got up and did my two miles..

I have a new goal - I want to get fit enough to be able to have the courage to buy a bikini top so I can wear it on the canoe or kayak to get some sun..It won't happen this summer, but maybe by next..

Our weekend will consist of some kayaking and canoeing and then I have to prep for camping next weekend.. so I am gonna set up a few of the tents and clean them and spray them. Then I will resort and re-fill everything, I have to find my good hammock, last camping trip I took the wrong one, and I swear it's a kids hammock, but it says adult.. I should just put it in the goodwill pile.

Have a wonderful day !
This discussion has been closed.