Food, Exercise, or other Reports

Options

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380 when I was younger and worked on my feet all day I had terrible heel spurs and foot pain. At the time all I could afford was cheap shoes from Payless. My boss at the time never had any pain and was much older than me and when I asked her she recommended Clarks shoes. They’re expensive at the start but in all honesty they last years compared to my cheap shoes that would breakdown after a few months. They were a game changer-I went from absolute pain to NO pain. I’d really recommend them.

thank you! I'll look into them too!

that's what I can't get my mother or my sister to understand - you often get what you pay for, and what Walmart sells now is all "memory foam" shoes with no underlying support at all. And if she is replacing her shoes 4 times in a year but a pair of more expensive shoes would last a full year or more, you really end up paying more in the long run for less.

I know there are times where the cheap is just as good, but shoes I don't think is one of them!
  • jodibeth5744
    jodibeth5744 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Definitely! Four pairs of Walmart shoes is definitely more expensive than one pair of Clarks. It’s hard to get out of that “it’s cheap now” mentality, esp when money is tight. I totally get it. But as I’ve gotten older I definitely find it’s cheaper to invest in quality for the long run!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Definitely! Four pairs of Walmart shoes is definitely more expensive than one pair of Clarks. It’s hard to get out of that “it’s cheap now” mentality, esp when money is tight. I totally get it. But as I’ve gotten older I definitely find it’s cheaper to invest in quality for the long run!

that's is the heart of it - it's "$20 for this pair of shoes versus $80 for that pair" and "$80 is ridiculous for a pair of shoes!" And while I know her paycheck isn't much, I also shake my head because she'll opt for the $20 pair of cheap tennis shoes, then go around and spend $50 on stuff like crafting supplies, a new pair of pajamas when she has about 12 pair of good ones already, etc. Or she'll get her income rebate and instead of setting aside $100 for a good pair of shoes, she'll blow $300 on party supplies or whatever. My sister has no sense of money management at all, despite my mother's myriad attempts at showing her over the years.

Meanwhile, I decided to pick up a pair of hiking tennis shoes for me last night. My cross trainers are fine for my local walking, but I have no intention of using them on a trail, and the boots I had been using for hiking are starting to make my feet hurt, so they are being regulated to yard work use. I also picked up a pack of hiking socks which i didn't even know existed until NovusDies mentioned them earlier. I had a time finding ones that would fit me, though, and I ended up having to get men's because I wear a women's 11W shoe which hasn't changed at all since I began losing weight 140 lbs ago, and all the socks I found in the women's were up to size 10. But that's a normal problem for me *sigh*
  • jodibeth5744
    Options
    That’s great! Best of luck breaking them in. I too repurpose my old shoes to yard work and lawn mowing.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    In the long run it pays to care for your feet. If you ever cross into podiatrist recommended shoes it can get to be expensive.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    papayahed wrote: »
    How timely. I just started hiking and I don't go to far or too treacherous but I've been looking at hiking shoes. I'm just unsure what to get so yesterday I bought trail runners. How do you guys feel about trail runners vs hiking shoes?

I can still return them.

@papayahed

Here is what my limited experience has taught me so far. Trail running shoes are going to be great for any trail that is dry and only mildly uneven ground. If you can imagine running on it without risk of injury it is fine. Many trails will fit this criteria. They are well established. The downside is that they are so well maintained that they are more like walking in park and less like hiking in nature.

Hiking shoes are for more all terrain type trails. They should provide excellent grip on very uneven and wet ground and be able to keep your feet dry in wet conditions. Imagine walking alongside a waterway that is lined with river rock. These are not places you could easily imagine yourself running but are generally very beautiful places to walk/hike.

There is nothing wrong, to me, in doing both. I have obviously been doing more of the former as I have been ramping up my stamina but I long to do more of the latter. I feel like I can wear my normal walking shoes most of the time on highly established trails but I am looking for shoes that can handle more.

The problem with finding a hiking shoe is that they can be advertised as hiking shoes even though they are only designed for short treks in park-like settings. Actually finding any shoe truly designed for comfort and support in excess of 5 continuous miles is difficult. Also, wearing hiking shoes is a style for some people and they never actually hike in them at all.

I am returning all 6 pairs of the shoes I have tried. None of them are what I need. I am afraid the ones I need are going to cost me closer to 150 dollars which is giving me heartburn.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I don’t hike but I have worn Brooks from Happy Feet ( $125 ) and New Balance ( $175 ) for years...they keep the arch support for a long time...very expensive but so worth it... I worked on cement floors on my feet for years in our stores and I never had foot or leg pain.....until I got old lol
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Off on another subject here....what do you eat after a work out?...I have been having a lower calorie protein bar or cottage cheese doubles by breakstone...I also drink 0 Gatorade while I am in the pool and a quart of H2O when I get home...is this the right thing to be eating?
  • jodibeth5744
    Options
    @conniewilkins56 I always eat a banana as soon as I’m done working out, and then my next meal as soon as possible. If my work out is at home, I’ll pop the banana in the blender with rolled oats, soy yogurt, and flax seed.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I mowed grass for well over an hour yesterday evening - push mowing and in very tall grass at my parents' camp. I enjoyed dinner and a good dessert, too. And as usual, I saw a spike on the scale this morning following such activity. Its irritating for sure, but not surprising - I've noticed this happens every time I spend a lot of time push mowing.

Interesting to me, though, was that while I was pushing that mower yesterday, I realized that I actually liked doing it. So I found an activity I can enjoy - too bad its not something I can do all year round! lol

But I am dragging big time this morning. I'm just exhausted even though I went to bed earlier than normal for me and got at least 6 hours in last night. I had a very difficult time motivating myself to get moving yesterday too.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380 I absolutely LOVE mowing the grass. It is the one chore I won't allow anyone else to do. I love to put my headphones in and go at it. No one bothers me. I never see the scale move the day after but sometimes it takes a few days. It does come off at the end!
  • bmeadows380
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I was going to mow my own yard this evening, but got side tracked instead. A house was torn down less than 1/4 a mile from my place, and the guy who did it asked if he could dump the block and rocks onto my grandfather's property across the road from me. There is a really deep hollow there and grandpa told him he could if he'd push them on over into the hollow. The guy didn't do it, or at least not yet, but in the meantime, the cinder blocks were mostly in good shape and I hated to see them just get buried, especially as eventually I need to build a retaining wall behind my house.

So I took mom and dad's wagon over after I got off work and loaded 72 of those suckers into the wagon and then brought them home and unloaded them. And these were old cinder blocks, too - some were actually made of cinders! I also learned that if I'm going to be doing that sort of heavy work, I'd better eat something before I head out the door; i had water with me but hadn't eaten anything substantial and had to come home and grab a peanut butter sandwich before I could unload the blocks.

Then came the problem of figuring out how to count the activity. It took me 50 minutes to load them and 45 minutes to unload them, and we're talking carrying blocks that are heavy - I'm not even sure how to estimate the weight but probably well over 10-15 lbs apiece! I was sweating for sure and will definitely be sore tomorrow! But nothing in MFP's database came even close. So I went to a different website and took one they had for laying crushed rock and created a user entry called carrying block. I figure its probably way underestimated, but that's okay; it did at least capture some of it.

I'd like to go back Saturday and get at least that many more if I can!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I hope you wore gloves!...my back hurts thinking about you lifting those blocks!
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I hope you wore gloves!...my back hurts thinking about you lifting those blocks!

definitely wore gloves, so the hands, while sore, aren't scraped up. did get a few scrapes on the legs. The back isn't hurting; its the arms; when i go in and lay down, my arms and wrists are probably going to ache like crazy.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Apparently if I mow my entire back yard with the push mower (something I should really not be doing with my knees and the hill) it adds up to nearly 5 miles of walking.

It wasn't really my intention to mow it all that way. I kept thinking just a little more and I will go get the rider to finish. Towards the end I reached a place where I was too tired to stop. That doesn't make sense when I type it but it seemed like more effort to stop and go get the rider than to just finish what little I had not already mowed.

To be honest though I have been wanting to do it at least once. I always push mow a little of it. I like to do around the garden so I have full control over where the grass is going and my new bushes and last time I push mowed a fair amount more than I needed to do so the challenge of doing it all was there as an itch I really wanted to scratch.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    Oh and to make it an even more fun challenge I did in the middle of a very hot day. I did wet down and freeze one of my bandannas to tie around my neck which was really helpful in the last half of mowing.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Oh and to make it an even more fun challenge I did in the middle of a very hot day. I did wet down and freeze one of my bandannas to tie around my neck which was really helpful in the last half of mowing.

*winces* someone is going to be very sore tomorrow, I'd wager lol

I know what you mean, though - once I get to moving on a project, even when I get tired I don't stop because I know I'll never get started again!

What's a little irritating for me is that my fitness tracker doesn't count my steps that I put in while push mowing very well - the arm isn't always swinging, and if its not swinging, the tracker isn't counting :frowning: I have started just using the fitness part of the tracker to get my time in because its the one section that doesn't require movement for the tracker to stay running; the others, like walking for instance, will stop timing if the tracker doesn't sense the appropriate movement.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

*winces* someone is going to be very sore tomorrow, I'd wager lol

I know what you mean, though - once I get to moving on a project, even when I get tired I don't stop because I know I'll never get started again!

What's a little irritating for me is that my fitness tracker doesn't count my steps that I put in while push mowing very well - the arm isn't always swinging, and if its not swinging, the tracker isn't counting :frowning: I have started just using the fitness part of the tracker to get my time in because its the one section that doesn't require movement for the tracker to stay running; the others, like walking for instance, will stop timing if the tracker doesn't sense the appropriate movement.

On the apple watch if you initiate an "outdoor walk" it will give you credit for steps based on GPS tracking. Given that I was walking slower with the mower and it took me 2.5 hours the math works out for ~5 miles so even if the estimate isn't perfect it is a good ballpark.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Hmmm. I wonder if that would work with my tracker? Mine is a cheap $30 thing I got from Amazon and it meets my needs without the bells and whistles (which is what I wanted). When I tried using it on my elliptical is when it wouldn't register activity unless my arm was swinging, but of course, I was in one place during that activity. I hadn't tried turning on the GPS feature when I was mowing the lawn, however. That has to be activated through my phone, but I usually have my phone on me when I mow as I have a set of blue tooth ear muffs. I'll give it a try when I mow tomorrow (if I get to mow tomorrow) and see if I can get my activity counted that way. Though since I don't sync my monitor to MFP, entering everything manually, it probably really doesn't matter as long as I have the minutes right, as that's all I need to enter the information into my exercise diary using the pre-loaded MFP entry. Still, it would be nice to see the actual steps taken!
  • cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Another idea is to put the tracker in your sock or somehow attach it to your foot or ankle. That way it would count the steps. I've had to do that a couple of times myself. :)