Doom, Despair, and Agony on Me! (aka a whine thread)

Options

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    @papayahed
    *laughs* I get the power to your meter, but once it gets into your house, I can't give much advice there! But if you want to know why your lights may dim or blink, then I can answer that :)
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    Water weight is my whine for this morning. The stupid scale was up to 232.5 this morning, and I know its all water weight as that's a 3 lb gain from my all time low of 229.5 on Saturday morning. I know what did it - the extra heavy yard work and other work I've been doing the last 3 days. Everything feels a little swelled, the muscles are sore, so I know its all water weight and will drop. Its just rather irritating because its going to throw off my weekly weigh in record which I do on Thursday's and may even show a gain tomorrow instead of the real loss.

OH well, while its irritating, its not the end of the world and I know the true loss will show up eventually.

It also killed my trend. On Sunday, my trend weight in HappyScale dropped to 229.9, but since the last 2 days were above 231 lbs, the trend went back up. :frowning:
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    My whine is water as well. Last week was pretty sedentary since I'd somehow hurt myself and my hips and lower back were excruciating. And, my right shoulder and wrist also. Barely moved out of the recliner for most of the week ... except to go to the bathroom or kitchen LOL. Hurt to get up; hurt to sit down. Almost impossible to lay down comfortable. All daily routines, eating plan, drinking plan for water, exercise plan .... PFFFFTTTtttttt ... right out the window. Thrilled I did NOT gain any weight!

However, even though I'm feeling much better this week, it's a struggle to get back into my various routines. And, drinking a 1/2 gallon+ of water is so very hard.

OK, Suck it up Buttercup!! Get with the plan; kick your own butt 🥾 and get back to it!!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    cesse47 wrote: »
    My whine is water as well. Last week was pretty sedentary since I'd somehow hurt myself and my hips and lower back were excruciating. And, my right shoulder and wrist also. Barely moved out of the recliner for most of the week ... except to go to the bathroom or kitchen LOL. Hurt to get up; hurt to sit down. Almost impossible to lay down comfortable. All daily routines, eating plan, drinking plan for water, exercise plan .... PFFFFTTTtttttt ... right out the window. Thrilled I did NOT gain any weight!

However, even though I'm feeling much better this week, it's a struggle to get back into my various routines. And, drinking a gallon+ of water is so very hard.

OK, Suck it up Buttercup!! Get with the plan; kick your own butt 🥾 and get back to it!!

I am glad you are feeling better this week.

Why are you drinking so much water?
  • cesse47
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    However, even though I'm feeling much better this week, it's a struggle to get back into my various routines. And, drinking a gallon+ of water is so very hard.

Sorry... I'm supposed to have a 1/2 symbol on my keyboard but it did not work ... so, I revised my original post to say 1/2 gal+.

I'm trying to stay around 11 - 12 glasses per day because that seems to work best for me. It's just getting back there after blowing it off is tough.
  • jodibeth5744
    jodibeth5744 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My whine is always water weight...I have an autoimmune disease that causes me to retain water, especially around my joints. My ankles can go from normal to wear it feels like my skin wants to rip if I bend them in the span of an hour. I truly feel your pain, especially when it comes to the scale! I use happy scale too so that I can see the true downward trend through all my water ups and downs.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I am retaining water in this heat although I am in the pool covered in water!...I have been taking a doctor prescribed water pill twice a week but the I have to drink a ton of water to rehydrate!...you can’t win lol
  • NovusDies
    Options

Sorry... I'm supposed to have a 1/2 symbol on my keyboard but it did not work ... so, I revised my original post to say 1/2 gal+.

I'm trying to stay around 11 - 12 glasses per day because that seems to work best for me. It's just getting back there after blowing it off is tough.

lol I am glad. Drinking a gallon of water sounds miserable and you know I don't like self-inflicted misery since I did it every time I tried to lose weight for 30 some odd years.
  • jodibeth5744
    jodibeth5744 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    @conniewilkins56 and the doctors always say getting in the pool will redistribute the swelling! I guess not. Sorry you’re suffering with it.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I bought some trout at costco and was forced to smoke it this morning or risk it going bad in the fridge. While this was a situation of my own making it is TOO HOT AND HUMID to be smoking fish right now.

With the covid business I have not been able to find trout as often and it is my main source of fatty fish. So I needed to get it and it is easier and more flavorful to smoke it but hopefully by the time this runs out it will be past the worst of this hot and humid weather.

I will say that this is the first real test of my relentlessness. I am SO not a hot weather person. I breezed through the covid lockdown but throw some hot and humid weather at me and I wilt. Luckily the heat also takes the edge of my hunger so I may not be moving as much (move calories down an average of 200 calories a day) it is not that hard to eat less.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, tomorrow will be the day you say no to Hardees.
  • cesse47
    Options
    I bought some trout at costco and was forced to smoke it this morning or risk it going bad in the fridge. While this was a situation of my own making it is TOO HOT AND HUMID to be smoking fish right now.

Grew up fishing Michigan lakes and streams for trout ... tied with perch for my favorite. I almost never cook fish at home so decided this time I would have at least 1-2 fish meals each week. Luckily, our farmer's market has a vendor who is part of a 6 generation family of commercial fishers. They supply fresh caught fish from the Great Lakes. So, I go Sat and Wed mornings and pick up one Lake Trout and one Lake Perch. And, when they run, I get fresh caught smelt (just for one meal). I don't care for smoked fish (which they do supply). So, I lightly dredge in seasoned flour, shake off excess, and pan fry. Crispy trout skin is sooooo excellent. I remove the skin of Lake Perch because I think it's too thick and tough.
  • cesse47
    Options
    It also helps to plan your meals and then only have that in the house. I would be eating cookies right now if we had any. We don't. (That's also why we don't have any cookies in the house, cause I know myself well.)

I can't eat a heavy breakfast, but my boyfriend does. I make him a breakfast casserole that is high protein, low carb (he had WLS and can't do many carbs) and is filling and satisfying right through til lunch. I can post the recipe if anyone wants it. Me, I just have my toasted and buttered muffin and hot tea and I'm okay. Sometimes I need some yogurt around ten am to make it to lunch, though.

What has been important to me is to tell myself that nothing is forbidden. I can have chips every day if I want. I could have ice cream every day if I wanted. And somehow knowing that I can makes it a lot easier to say, "Nah, I'd rather spend the calories on something else," and be at peace with that decision.

I agree about eliminating foods that are detrimental to your eating plan. I finally had to stop buying Ritz crackers because they're like chips to me ... can't eat just one, just mow through the whole package.

I would like your breakfast casserole recipe. I'm looking for ways to reduce carbs so it may really help.

• bmeadows380
    Options
    @TheLastMrBig

In both daily life and spiritual life, recognizing you've got a problem, acknowledging it and accepting the responsibility for it an absolute necessity for getting to the point where you can start dealing with it and overcoming it; it sounds like you have hit that point and I congratulate you!

Its hard to admit when we are wrong and where our flaws are, especially in this society that is so judgmental, so I'm glad you've gotten the courage to open up and found this group - I haven't seen any judgment here, which I greatly appreciate it; knowing that there are others who started at the same stage I did or even higher who understand what life is like for the morbidly obese and the unique struggles to lose massive amounts of weight is a godsend for me, as wel as having people who will listen to my whines about water weight and grumbles about the scales and who will talk me down from making huge mistakes out of kneejerk responses to the short term instead of looking forward to the long term :)

You can do this - taking one day at a time!