Doom, Despair, and Agony on Me! (aka a whine thread)

Replies

• bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,305 Member
    @bmeadows380, this is in reference to a week ago when you were trying to consume a lot of calories. Do you like coffees? If so, a breve is a fantastic way to drink some calories! (A breve is like a latte, but it's made with half and half.)
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    @bmeadows380, this is in reference to a week ago when you were trying to consume a lot of calories. Do you like coffees? If so, a breve is a fantastic way to drink some calories! (A breve is like a latte, but it's made with half and half.)

I've never heard of a breve but if its half cream and half coffee, I'd probably like it!
  • bobsburgersfan
    Hugs, Connie! It's the WORST when you are doing everything right and still not losing. (I'm plenty of wrong things, and even then plateaus are maddening!)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Up another pound this morning!..”I will fix you my pretty”....I finished eating a six inch Boars Head Italian Sub and 3/4 c. Macaroni salad!....now I am full anyway!....not proud of myself but the scales will either go up or down in the morning!...I am not in binge mode so a light dinner tonight, lots of rest, a new magazine and only anxiety over my husbands health...

I actually think I am eating too many carbs and not enough protein...might explain my hunger and not feeling satisfied with the amount of food I am eating...( sigh ) tomorrow I will set my goal at 1450 calories and 1 1/2 lb a week loss....I will go to the pool and get my exercise in....I will eat back 25% of my exercise calories...I will trust the process, be patient and “WEIGHT” for the scales to go down....

Thanks everyone for your support!

I wasn't worried. You are nowhere near ready to quit regardless of what the scale does. It might feel that way for a moment when you get mad but you are so much stronger now.

You lose fat everyday that you are in a deficit. It will ALWAYS show up eventually. The amount of time that eventually can take can really suck sometimes but it always shows up.
  • bobsburgersfan
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Up another pound this morning!..”I will fix you my pretty”....I finished eating a six inch Boars Head Italian Sub and 3/4 c. Macaroni salad!....now I am full anyway!....not proud of myself but the scales will either go up or down in the morning!...I am not in binge mode so a light dinner tonight, lots of rest, a new magazine and only anxiety over my husbands health...

I actually think I am eating too many carbs and not enough protein...might explain my hunger and not feeling satisfied with the amount of food I am eating...( sigh ) tomorrow I will set my goal at 1450 calories and 1 1/2 lb a week loss....I will go to the pool and get my exercise in....I will eat back 25% of my exercise calories...I will trust the process, be patient and “WEIGHT” for the scales to go down....

Thanks everyone for your support!

I wasn't worried. You are nowhere near ready to quit regardless of what the scale does. It might feel that way for a moment when you get mad but you are so much stronger now.

You lose fat everyday that you are in a deficit. It will ALWAYS show up eventually. The amount of time that eventually can take can really suck sometimes but it always shows up.
    I know this is true. Why is it so hard to be patient during the rough times?! (That's a rhetorical question.)
  • I should have expected it, but I had a fibro flare today and felt so rotten that I've eaten more than I should. I'm nowhere near maintenance calorie wise, but I just decided that was where I'd eat today so that I didn't have to worry. Fibro flares feel like that all-over body ache you get with the flu, plus bonus pain anywhere you've ever damaged a joint or pulled a muscle in your lifetime, plus the type of skin pain you get with a sunburn. And also cognitive fogging that makes you feel like you can't quite get all the way awake.

I overdid it with all we did the last two days, and this is what happens when I do that. (sigh) I've lived with this for twenty years, you'd think I'd anticipate this, but it surprised me like I never had one before. And I haven't really had one all that recently. For which I thank the weight loss and my increasing fitness.
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    SSDD. That is my world right now. I read everyone's posts and a lot of us are in the same back and forth. I went on a vacation two weeks ago. I didn't weigh any of those days (I couldn't pack my scale in my luggage since we were flying). I ate decently and exercised a bunch. I got home and was up 4lbs. I knew in my mind that this was just water weight (man FL is hot) and flying and eating differently. After a week it went back down to my prevacation weight. Woo hoo right? Then I went camping this past weekend. Can't weight at camp. So two more days not in my tracker. Weighed again on Monday and I'm up 2 lbs. Today is Thursday and I am still hovering right around where I was on Monday. I am the kind of person that weighs everyday and knows that there are ups and downs. But my line has a steady decrease over time. With the gaps in my tracking and big uptakes when I start back my trend line is no longer going down. My logic brain says it will come trust the process but my fat brain says what the hell am I doing all this work for when it isn't working anymore. Just complaining. I know it will work but man this waiting game sucks!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    gewel321 wrote: »
    SSDD. That is my world right now. I read everyone's posts and a lot of us are in the same back and forth. I went on a vacation two weeks ago. I didn't weigh any of those days (I couldn't pack my scale in my luggage since we were flying). I ate decently and exercised a bunch. I got home and was up 4lbs. I knew in my mind that this was just water weight (man FL is hot) and flying and eating differently. After a week it went back down to my prevacation weight. Woo hoo right? Then I went camping this past weekend. Can't weight at camp. So two more days not in my tracker. Weighed again on Monday and I'm up 2 lbs. Today is Thursday and I am still hovering right around where I was on Monday. I am the kind of person that weighs everyday and knows that there are ups and downs. But my line has a steady decrease over time. With the gaps in my tracking and big uptakes when I start back my trend line is no longer going down. My logic brain says it will come trust the process but my fat brain says what the hell am I doing all this work for when it isn't working anymore. Just complaining. I know it will work but man this waiting game sucks!

Omg...that is exactly how I am feeling!....yes Florida is hot....I hate summer in Florida....all 47 years of it!...seems like if I don’t log every morsel of food or if I eat one meal out of my norm, my weight starts bouncing around....I am so frustrated and aggravated and angry....all the hard work for 15 months and it would be oh so easy to just say F@#$&* it!!!....this swimming is whipping my butt....I need to slow it down and then I will get less food...my husbands health continues to get worse....I feel so defeated....let’s all whine together....1. 2. 3
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    gewel321 wrote: »

Omg...that is exactly how I am feeling!....yes Florida is hot....I hate summer in Florida....all 47 years of it!...seems like if I don’t log every morsel of food or if I eat one meal out of my norm, my weight starts bouncing around....I am so frustrated and aggravated and angry....all the hard work for 15 months and it would be oh so easy to just say F@#$&* it!!!....this swimming is whipping my butt....I need to slow it down and then I will get less food...my husbands health continues to get worse....I feel so defeated....let’s all whine together....1. 2. 3

Girl the list goes on and on. I wish I could swim but my husband ripped the pool cover and now the water is too cold to get in. I've been scatter brained recently and can't remember what I need to do from hour to hour. I have been hungry but not really hungry just bored eating (still staying in my calories but getting super close). I feel like a child having a tantrum! I want to stomp my feet. Maybe that will burn a few calories! lol.

The important thing is we will both get through this! We will be better on the other side of this hill. But it sure helps to whine and complain.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    edited August 2020
    @conniewilkins56 are you tracking sodium and using accurate entries? For myself, even within calories, that sub and salad would be a lb+ gain due to sodium the next day.

@TheLastMrBig what mfp offered me when I started out was an optimization problem/ Tetris game.

You have your budget for calories and you're trying to maximize your benefits.

Benefits can change over time: satiation, nutrition, hedonism. I mean for sure in the beginning maximum satiation was the one and only target for myself, as the years rolled on other benefits acquired more importance.

But my biggest tool with mfp was making rational and "informed" deliberate decisions.

And I did that with the most simple set of unbreakable rules I set for myself back then.

When I was eating that's all I was doing: not watching tv. Not on the computer.

But more importantly, nothing went in my mouth BEFORE getting logged, correctly, on mfp!

It is amazing how much that cut down on casual bites. Or eating things that were less worthwhile.

Or how it led me to discover (because logging correctly used to take a lot of time) that eating an apple or two (which were easy to cut, weigh, and log while preparing other food), really did cut down on how hungry I was and allowed me to, for example, delay a meal, which then allowed me to fit an ice cream cone instead of a later skipped meal leaving me happier in the end while still meeting my goals! (And it led me to decide that food is food. If _once in a while_, I eat a double scoop waffle cone, it is ok to not have an official dinner that day. I won't get malnourished because of it!)

Once you log pancakes or something else, you can then compare where they will leave you and decide between the alternatives. And skip them/ decline if they don't measure up and have something else instead that does!

Another decision is whether this is a priority or not. And by how much.

While I regret it a bit now and know that I could still have been successful without doing so, during my first few months on MFP I had a pretty pointed chat with my parents about whether it was acceptable to be making extraordinary tasty family favourites for every meal and everytime I visited them and I certainly implemented an "I am the one cooking for everyone" quite often when I'm here approach.

That, and ordering food at restaurants to be prepared as I wanted even if off the menu. Working with the staff and within their menu/abilities, but not being afraid to politely but unequivocally specify my wishes always aiming (when I was starting out) for a "price in calories vs satiety performance/benefit" maximization.
  • conniewilkins56
    I wish you hadn’t used my food log yesterday as an example of how I usually eat...I was throwing a tantrum and didn’t eat anything I usually do...( very sad face )
  • bobsburgersfan
    SSDD. @gewel321 I feel like this is the perfect response when anyone asks me "How are you?" these days. :D:/
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    @NovusDies Mostly keep track in my head now. Unless the scale starts telling me I’m not doing it right. But since I eat the same things a lot, it’s not that difficult.

But intuitive eating? I think it’s a myth. The dieter’s Shangri-La.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    I wish you hadn’t used my food log yesterday as an example of how I usually eat...I was throwing a tantrum and didn’t eat anything I usually do...( very sad face )

Connie, was that to me? I just went by what you wrote in a post above to point out that there are multiple reasons for water weight fluctuations.... I didn't actually look at your log :blush:

So just an example, is all, and zero criticism intended! Not sure how many days you haven't seen a loss; but, based on the dates of your posts post diet break and losing a few, it sounds to me that you have less than two or three weeks of no loss while engaged in increased levels of exercise, while the weather is too hot and while you're throwing the occasional tantrum per your words above!

TBH, my advice, as always, will be towards sustainability and moderation ahead of aggressively seeking visible results that threatens to derail you.

In other words eat the most carefully counted calories that you can such that they create a caloric balance that will eventually yield an appropriate weight management result.

In my, personal books, deficits that target more than 20% of TDEE while carrying obese levels of energy reserves (or that exceed 15% or so of TDEE while carrying low overweight, or lower, levels of energy reserves)... well... they're quite aggressive.

If your intake counting is accurate and you've quadruple checked for logging errors... then all you can do is wait.

End of the day you're already doing all that can be done, and time will pass either way!

If your intake counting may not be as accurate (things don't get logged on occasion, eating is not always optimized, etc), then yes, there is a likelihood you're not achieving the deficits you think you're achieving.

I would NOT double down (count super accurately while aiming for very low targets while increasing exercise) but I would certainly tighten up and make sure I am hitting the targets I think I am while also making sure that my targets are suitable for where I am at in the context of the complete process.

Results and deficits that are suitable when starting at 2.5, 3 or 400 or more are not necessarily still suitable a year or two or three later and dozens and dozens (or dozens of dozens in some cases) of lbs down!
  • conniewilkins56
    Pav888 thanks again...that sorts it out for me a little better!
  • Boyfriend doesn't have a job. This happens in his industry on occasion. And we're okay financially in terms of keeping the lights on and the mortgage paid, so don't worry about that.

But we can't buy unnecessary things and household purchases are often being delayed.

So the new couch and loveseat for the front room are on hold. As is the loveseat for the sunroom. As is the good work chair for the sunroom. And the carpet for the sunroom. And a bed and mattress and boxspring for the guest room.

And so is getting Girlfriend a membership to the YMCA that is one street over. And so is getting me a membership either there or to Planet Fitness down the road. And so is getting me a lightweight inexpensive exercise bike that I can just get on when I feel stale and pedal til I get the blood moving again in my brain.

And I can't buy a corset to help with putting pressure on the bit that I especially want to reduce. Or buy the liners that I need to keep it clean.

And it's all very frustrating, because every project I want to work on right now is one where I need to spend money to go any further and they are all non-critical items, so I can't spend yet. Grr!

Of course, I just KNOW that my weight will lurch downward again, satisfyingly, once I start being able to bike at home and do weight work at the gym. So it's really feeling frustrating that I can't do that, because my big project this year is losing a lot of weight, and I want to lose more than forty pounds.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    This irritation has nothing to do with diet....well, some, I suppose.

I need to make a Blackberry Delight for dessert for tomorrow. I need raspberry sugar free jello. I was at Walmart last night; they had no sugar free jello in any brand at all. (this particular Walmart hardly stocks anything).

Today, I went to the local Krogers in town to get the stuff i couldn't get at Walmart last night, except they had no sugar free raspberry jello, either, store or name brand. I thought I could use kool-aid, but htey didn't have any raspberry flavored kool-aid either. They had regular raspberry jello, but we're talking 320 calories versus 20 calories and we're talking 23 carbs versus 16 and sugar as well - which is 185 calories per serving wiht regular versus 160 calories without regular. With my family's diabetes, I can't use regular jello and with my calorie counting, I don't want to use regular jello. I don't think it will taste right if I just used unflavored jello; the jello gives it that extra boost.

*sigh* so I have to go 25 miles to the county seat to the next closest Krogers to see if they have it. which means another 2 hours of my day lost. And you just know that by the time I get back, it'll start raining so I won't get my walk in or anything else I wanted to do today.......
  • conniewilkins56

I need to make a Blackberry Delight for dessert for tomorrow. I need raspberry sugar free jello. I was at Walmart last night; they had no sugar free jello in any brand at all. (this particular Walmart hardly stocks anything).

Today, I went to the local Krogers in town to get the stuff i couldn't get at Walmart last night, except they had no sugar free raspberry jello, either, store or name brand. I thought I could use kool-aid, but htey didn't have any raspberry flavored kool-aid either. They had regular raspberry jello, but we're talking 320 calories versus 20 calories and we're talking 23 carbs versus 16 and sugar as well - which is 185 calories per serving wiht regular versus 160 calories without regular. With my family's diabetes, I can't use regular jello and with my calorie counting, I don't want to use regular jello. I don't think it will taste right if I just used unflavored jello; the jello gives it that extra boost.

*sigh* so I have to go 25 miles to the county seat to the next closest Krogers to see if they have it. which means another 2 hours of my day lost. And you just know that by the time I get back, it'll start raining so I won't get my walk in or anything else I wanted to do today.......

You could use sugar free soda and Knox gelatin...we used to do that in Weight Watchers....I am finding it really hard to find diet jello at any stores...not sure why stores aren’t carrying it...good luck finding something...
  • NatashaLP2014
    NatashaLP2014 Posts: 82 Member

Before you actually go there, call them and ask if they have it in stock.