Doom, Despair, and Agony on Me! (aka a whine thread)

Options

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    @TheLastMrBig

Make no assumptions about results from medical tests unless you have seen them and understand what they mean. It doesn’t matter much who yours Drs are. I had the best Blue Cross could buy but I learned that all the follow up is always on me.

Try to get hard copies of all test results and any reports. Open a file. Take the file to all of your appointments. Always know what’s in your file. If you don’t understand something press the Dr to explain.

If you have a good Dr they will appreciate your efforts. You are making their job easier by knowing your own record. But just keeping the record and carrying it with you is sending a message that you are taking responsibility. They are more likely to respond positively to that.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    @TheLastMrBig : I am not a doctor, but my ex was your size, with diabetes, and he had similar issues.

Some of that pain is just due to the fact that you're heavy and compressing the joint. Replacing your mattress may not be within your ability right now, but possibly adding a topper of memory foam might help. My ex had done some pretty mean things to his shoulders in his earlier years, so he has arthritis there. I've had similar pain in my hips and shoulders at my heaviest, because I'm also a side sleeper. I will say that that has eased considerably once I lost some weight, but it will still happen if I sleep too long.

That twitch in your hand may be the first onset of diabetic neuropathy. Ex noticed hand weakness too, as well as some numbness in his feet. (At least, that was where it was when I left.) He also noted, being male, difficulties with equipment function and enjoyment. Sugar sludges up ALL the small blood vessels. Those are not exempt.

As I said, I'm not a doctor, but I've lived with a fat man who was diabetic and tried to help him. But as we all know, you can't save someone who doesn't want to be saved. (sigh) You are doing the right thing, and I believe you will begin to see results soon.

edited July 2020
    Options
    @NovusDies : At least you aren't female. My bras cost me $40 apiece, and one thing I hope happens with weight loss is to lose fat there so that I could get down into the sizes where one can buy inexpensive bras. (Not there yet.) I'll give Boyfriend credit, though, he is very good to buy me new clothes as I go down in size, despite the cost.

Fortunately his weight gain has been within smaller limits and his underwear still fits. We get fun patterns at Duluth Trading Company. (Camels and palm trees for Hump Day!)
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I am back to buying underwear again and because of all the walking I need another round of socks too.

WHY IS THIS STUFF SO STUPID EXPENSIVE?!?

It occurs to me they should give tax credits to people who lose a decent percentage of their weight in a year. That would have to take some of the burden off the economy and losing weight is pretty expensive.

Boy I wish this would happen! Weight loss is expensive when you find yourself having to replace your entire wardrobe. Thank goodness I have belts; otherwise those shorts I bought in May would end up being too lose. I had to buy up a size because of them being tight in the thighs, but wear has loosened them there now and without a belt, they'd be at my knees!
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I am back to buying underwear again and because of all the walking I need another round of socks too.
    It occurs to me they should give tax credits to people who lose a decent percentage of their weight in a year. That would have to take some of the burden off the economy and losing weight is pretty expensive.

In the same boat here. Since I expect to lose much more, I decided to go the least expensive route ... so ordered from WalMart online. 'Twas the best I could do. 6-packs of panties were $15, a 10-pack of socks about $10.

Only ordered one pack of each since it will last me a week and I can launder to keep up, plus still do use my larger older stuff. No bras, I quit wearing one after I retired. Since I don't have a significant other to remain "perky" for, no need for them ... and so MUCH MORE comfortable going without! When I was working, I started pulling the darn thing off as soon as I walked in the door at home after work. LOL
  • cesse47
    Options
    @NovusDies : At least you aren't female. My bras cost me $40 apiece, and one thing I hope happens with weight loss is to lose fat there so that I could get down into the sizes where one can buy inexpensive bras. (Not there yet.) I'll give Boyfriend credit, though, he is very good to buy me new clothes as I go down in size, despite the cost.

Fortunately his weight gain has been within smaller limits and his underwear still fits. We get fun patterns at Duluth Trading Company. (Camels and palm trees for Hump Day!)

If you haven't done so, check out a site called Woman Within. I always bought mine through them since they had the best pricing, I could get one that was REALLY in my size - being morbidly obese with DDD's, and they have a lot of patterns. They used to have a bra club, buy 12 get on free, but not sure if they still do. They also have great sales.

https://womanwithin.com/
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    cesse47 wrote: »

If you haven't done so, check out a site called Woman Within. I always bought mine through them since they had the best pricing, I could get one that was REALLY in my size - being morbidly obese with DDD's, and they have a lot of patterns. They used to have a bra club, buy 12 get on free, but not sure if they still do. They also have great sales.

https://womanwithin.com/

I just made an order from Woman Within yesterday but ugh, they've raised their prices :(

I made the order though because I wanted the free gift they were advertising in the magazine I got - I've been wanting a new blue jean purse for months but couldn't find one that worked for me and kept patching the old one. lol

At the same time, I am also experimenting as I have no idea what Woman Within size I currently wear. I know in the past that I always was actually in a size or two less than their charts said I should be based on measurements (and this is conservative Bridget who hates her clothing to be tight!) Some brands I"m now into an 18W; others I'm still needing in 20's, and in Cato's, I'm in a 16 in bottoms, and using their sizing calculator, Woman Within recommended a 16 in their stuff as well, so when those new jeans get here, we'll see! I was needing biker shorts anyway - I wear them under skirts and dresses to stop thigh chaffing but found that what I have now has gotten entirely too big and I had a hard time keeping them up. So those will go to my sister when the new ones get here!
    cesse47 wrote: »

In the same boat here. Since I expect to lose much more, I decided to go the least expensive route ... so ordered from WalMart online. 'Twas the best I could do. 6-packs of panties were $15, a 10-pack of socks about $10.

Only ordered one pack of each since it will last me a week and I can launder to keep up, plus still do use my larger older stuff. No bras, I quit wearing one after I retired. Since I don't have a significant other to remain "perky" for, no need for them ... and so MUCH MORE comfortable going without! When I was working, I started pulling the darn thing off as soon as I walked in the door at home after work. LOL

*laughs* I don't have a significant other either, but can't stand to go all day without a bra - I hate the pull on my chest when I don't wear a bra to support the suckers, even if they are much smaller than they used to be!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    TMI everyone lol.....bras flying off,perky boobs,sans underwear....yikes!...the visuals!!!....

FYI....I buy my underwear and bras at Lane Bryant....expensive but they do last through a lot of washings....Walmart sizes are all over the place....one X Lg might be smaller or larger than another one...finding nice pants to fit is a nightmare....I refuse to wear dresses or skirts....Sneakers are my shoes of choice....I love night gowns and don’t really like pajamas except when it is cold and it rarely gets cold here....I am keeping my boobs “ perky “ for as long as I can!
    Options
    Woman Within has some problematic customer service issues. And at this point, I'm honestly almost too small for the bottom end of their range. I do like the Cacique line, especially the underwear.

I'm looking forward to getting into straight sizes and not having to shop specialty stores, and being able to wear cuter clothing. Having to dress around the fact that I have a belly like a five months' pregnant woman was sartorially depressing.
  • tempe987
    tempe987 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Having to dress around the fact that I have a belly like a five months' pregnant woman was sartorially depressing.

All of this! I carry nearly all my weight in my stomach so this is super relatable.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    @TheLastMrBig

Thanks for the update! That all sounds like some good breakthroughs for you on the therapy front, and I'm glad you were able to get help there. Insurance is such a pain! I really do hope things can start turning around for you soon!
    Options
    @TheLastMrBig: One foot in front of the other. That's how it happens. I believe you can do it. It's a slog getting all the insurance stuff in order, but patience always wins.
  • cesse47
    Options
    Well, darn it!! Lost 0.1 lb this week. It was because of the ham. OMG, that delicious ham. Thought it was one steak in the package ... it was 2. They were huge. And, can't refreeze and there's only me to eat them ... so ate both over 4 days. My Stars, my sodium levels blasted through the roof on each of those days. And, drinking 10-12 glasses of water a day, I'm sure I've retained almost all of it.

So, starting today, watching what I eat so my sodium levels stay as low as I can make happen ... and, hopefully, keep carbs lower as well. Hoping next week's weighin will be a BIG improvement!!
    Options
    (whine) I ate too much and now my stomach is too full. I won't be doing that again soon!
    Options
    I tell ya, between the heat and my meds, I am making myself eat. It's not any fun, and I don't like that. Part of what I told myself when I started this is that food can still be tasty and enjoyable, and so far over these six months I've always been ready for my delicious meals, and the only problem ever was that they tasted so good I would have kept eating if I had room.

Now, I had to force myself to eat a chicken quesadilla. Bribe myself with sweets like a small kid eating their brussel sprouts. This is ridiculous.
  • Fred77
    Fred77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I tell ya, between the heat and my meds, I am making myself eat. It's not any fun, and I don't like that. Part of what I told myself when I started this is that food can still be tasty and enjoyable, and so far over these six months I've always been ready for my delicious meals, and the only problem ever was that they tasted so good I would have kept eating if I had room.

Now, I had to force myself to eat a chicken quesadilla. Bribe myself with sweets like a small kid eating their brussel sprouts. This is ridiculous.

When I'm like that, if I'm.not hungry, I won't eat. Im not going to force myself to eat for the sake of it. Ill just save the calories for when I'm bungry
    Options
    The problem is that I won't get "hungry". I'll get angry and weepy and nasty to live with and have a headache, but I won't connect it with hunger until my boyfriend or girlfriend make me a sandwich and refuse to talk to me til I eat it. And THEN I realize, oh, I was hungry! THAT was what was wrong! So since that's not very good to do to my partners, I eat on time, even if I'm not enthusiastic about it.