Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Hello. Well yesterday was hot, hot, hot and Mark and Mary Jo came over to share Marks birthday dessert with me but wouldn't come inside because with Derek's move back loads of people were in and out of their house such as removal men and all of Derek's old friends turning up to welcome him home.
    Derek tells me he is very glad to be out of the city, it being Ontario's hot spot for the virus. The dessert was icecream which melted in the heat, dripped everywhere and made Jilly Bean one very happy little dog!
    Cooler today and Michael and the grocery delivery man both turned up on the doorstep at 9 o'clock.
    Michael was super helpful. We re-arranged the back room and I like it. This is not for us, it's for Beanie Shorty Pants to climb up on the old sofa back, peer out the window, and bark at foxes, bunnies, squirrels and Harry who might wander into the back garden. Then Mike cut up a very large sweet potato which was so difficult to peel for me. The yam was cooked for Jilly and then we piled into the car, the three of us, to buy Jillys treats.
    We spent quite a bit of time yelling across the road to Darren who gets out of quarantine on Tuesday. They are back because although they liked England just as much as Canada they felt the education here is better. This surprised me. Also Darren lost his job at the university because of the virus. Mike then cut the grass so Jilly wouldn't get lost in it being very short and after three long walks with Michael she reluctantly said goodbye to him. She barks at him when he leaves and rushes over for me to try and stop him going. I guess I'm the leader of the pack, in her eyes anyway.
    So today was all about one demanding small creature who I must admit amuses us no end.

The good news, she had so much fun playing zoomies hide and seek with Mike and going for walks that she has slept all afternoon exhausted thus allowing me to bore all you Sneakers in peace and quiet.

"See" ya all,
    Anne. 🙃🐶❤️
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    After a relaxing afternoon pottering like one of the seven drawfs, ‘busy doing nothing’,🎶🎶🎶 I made a stir fry followed by a choc ice and put my feet up! Watched an old episode of Doc Martin that had me giggling and wishing I had followed all the past series. They often film in this area and it was fun to pick out spots on the moors I often walk the pooches.
    I’ve an awful feeling Autumn is just round the corner because there’s a nip in the air tonight and the forecast warns tomorrow night dropping to around 7c which is mid forties Fahrenheit. My tomato plants have lots of green fruit so I’m guessing if it does turn colder green tomato chutney will be on the cards!
    Just put the dogs out for their last garden trip where the moon lit up the area.
    u4zypg4bnxrq.jpeg

No real plans for tomorrow but I’m sure I’ll find something to do!!
    Nite, nite
    Jackie
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Nice day. So glad to be back at gym! 2 walks and hit 10,000 steps by 12pm. Stopped at my older (72) sisters house with Jean. She recently started intermittent fasting and doing well. Love her to pieces. Seriously - You could knock on her door in need of a bed & food…and she would give you hers (for real). In non-COVID times she has Sunday dinner for church friends/family – roughly 50 weeks a year (25-40 adults/children). The day flew by…even stopped at McDonald's so Jean could enjoy her fav Cheeseburger. I haven’t indulged since May 2019 and don’t miss it.

Anne – That sounds like one heck of a cruise and certainly can relate. To be honest, I don’t see any cruises in the near future. Once all this is over, I am hoping we can just plan a vacation spot to hang our hat on…I only know it won’t be any place cold given our generally long winters.

Glad U liked the family pics. So funny about your 56 yr old “baby”. We must all do it. When my daughter hit her 40’s I still would think of her as 30-something. I still tell her I can’ believe she caught up to me and we are now about the same age – I love denial. LOL

Jackie – Hope you have a nice “Summer bank holiday” – that’s some weather you are experiencing! Glad you liked the family pics. Glad you got to enjoy some French bread bagels!

Sandy – Thrilled your car turned out so great… nothing like before and after pics. That was an awesome price you got. I definitely would have had it repaired to…it would have bothered me as well. The weather made all the difference with the “masks.” It wasn’t real hot and there was a nice breeze. QM2 was huge and beautiful. Like you, we love a balcony and use it. If and/when we cruise again I think it would be on Royal Caribbean. While we lived the NCL Gem (small ship)…the NCL Breakaway wasn’t as enjoyable and thought they weren’t always the best. But no plans at this point…just some kind of vacation once the masks are gone and somewhat normal.

Lin – We love the zoo and get the annual membership so we can just stop by for 45 min or so when the mood hits. It’s also part of the kids Christmas present each year and they look forward to it. The animals are treated well etc., but I think I am more of an animal preserve kind of guy. Ha ha on the camera… the youngest only got with the program in the last year…before that….well… not so much. LOL

Time to watch a bit of TV before hitting the sack. Enjoy the weekend. Bob

• Gawanne35
    Options
    Well BOB, with the summer we are experiencing you can certainly count Canada as a hot spot!

Remember yesterday and Mike and myself changing the furniture? Well I've just changed it all back. Wasn't so keen this morning. I can't see Jilly jumping on the back of the sofa either. I'm hoping Mike will have forgotten we changed it now he's almost 59!

Back to being
    Anne, the un-repentant.

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :'( I got a call yesterday that my line dance teacher friend died in the morning. She was the teacher when I started line dance in 2004 and she turned her class over to me in 2013 when her health started to fail. I had been calling her every Wednesday afternoon since 2012 when I started helping her teach the beginning line dance class. She had had a fall that injured her shoulder and broke her hip but when I talked to her on Wednesday she was cheerful and feeling positive about her recovery. She added so much to my life and I'll miss talking to her, but I will always have the line dance joy she brought to my life.

<3 Barbie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,136 Member
    Options
    Oh Anne! He will remember. 😂😂. Soon your dear neighbor will be out of quarantine and you can be 6 feet apart. Wonderful they are home.

Bob, lovely and very happy day! You must be so much happier now that you can visit your gym whenever you want!

Jackie, a wonderful photo. A bit moody and marvelous. I tried to watch the Paul Williams documentary last night but I fell asleep! Darn. Earlier on I listened to some Shirley Bassey songs. A total treat. Most marvelous voice.

Hello Patsy, Sandy, Barbie, Buzz, Diane and all Sneakers. 🙋🏼‍♀️

I might as well forget about planning on chores. Never seems to work. I lack motivation and am easily sidetracked. Yesterday it was banking and writing checks, followed by another call from my friend trying to figure out a laptop and Internet service. She seems on the verge of giving up and staying totally in the dark so to speak with her flip phone and over the air television. I guess we will see. I have encouraged her and answered as many questions as possible.

Just found out my replacement paper punch is now a bit delayed in delivery so I guess I will not be getting back to those cards anytime soon. I have left everything out on the countertop so I could just pick up and get going. 🤣🙂🤣 well, not today or tonight for certain.

Off I go to accomplish little!!

Lin
  • linder4866
    Options
    Morning teapot.

“Sadler Bicentenary Commemorative teapot for the 200th Anniversary of US War of Independence.”

8s2l1hbcxpu6.jpeg

❤️❤️
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    BARBIE, I'm very sorry you have suffered the loss of your line dance teacher and friend. I've found that in my own case I am the last one standing over here although I do have Dawn, Noreen, Wendy and Margaret my old school friends in England. Not quite the same though with them being so far away.
    Loss of family and friends is dreadfully sad, but we never forget them, and with time I've found I'm making new, much younger friends and family, which in a way gives a new dimension to life. A new way of seeing things. The pain of loss eases with time doesn't it but every so often a memory of an old pal creeps into the folds of our brain, causes a smile or even a tear or two, and thankfully we know they are just a breath away.
    Hope you can start your line dance class again very very soon.

On a lighter note I more or less got thrown out of Mary Jos dance line class. I mean, the teacher didn't exactly say "clear off Anne", but I was so embarrassed having more or less put everyone else out of coordination I daren't go back! I DID get thrown out of the school choir. Don't know how I got in, in the first place. The choir master, the head master actually, pointed at me and said "you, OUT". The shame of that moment! This meant I had to join the French class instead. Alas, my French wasn't much better!
    The only consolation, despite no singing voice, two left feet, and an atrocious French accent I'm still around to 'delight" everyone.

Anne, tra la, the flowers that bloom in the spring, I'm a very old thing, tra la!
  • Gawanne35
    edited August 2020
    Options
    PS. I posted a photo some time back of my hour of glory when I played "Aladdin". I look as if I'm singing. Actually, although the piano was thumping away, I spoke the words of the song in a sort of sing song way. Just in case you wondered. It was English pantomime, comedy, and as long as you don't mind making a fool of yourself you can get away with murder. I did act in more serious roles, Ophelia in Hamlet springs to mind, and you can't get much more serious than that! But, comedy was my real thing.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) Finally it has cooled down but I still have the A/C going. I texted my landlord to say I think my thermostat is messed up and he was so agreeable and said he would call his A/C man. I then texted him back and said every time I text you with a problem it fixes itself, so I told him no emergency as it seems to be working now. He thinks because of the heat the Freon lines sometimes freeze up because the A/C runs so much. So we will see.

Anne, you made me laugh and brought back memories of when I was in Catholic grade school and joined the choir. The nun told me to just mouth the words and not sing. I was devastated. lol I still can't sing so she was right!!

Lin, at least you are trying to help your friend, that is all that counts. If nothing else maybe she should just get an IPad instead of the flip phone.

Barbie, I remember when you took over the class for your friend do to health problems. I am so sorry for the loss of your good friend but her memory will live on when you resume classes.

Bob, you seem like a guy who is always cheerful and enjoys life, wonderful quality. I try to stay positive most of the time but with this pandemic and with some people it is hard.
    I have to tell myself to let things go that are out of my control.

Jackie, beautiful picture and happy to read you actually relaxed.

Sheets are ready for dryer and Lisa just texted that we will be having movie night. I am so happy to be going somewhere, it has been a long week. Have a great day.

Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • pinkperil
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Another quiet day with no incentive to do anything in the way of DIY. Lots that should be done But instead I’ve been looking online for a freestanding broom cupboard, as you do, and a new tv stand. The shelf unit the tv currently sits on has to come out because old plaster Is crumbling behind but I’ll buy a new one before that happens. I did find one I liked and got as far as checking out so about to pay when I noticed anticipated delivery between January 11 and 17. The furniture is made to order but really, that long a wait? Back to the drawing board.
    It’s certainly cooler today so I sit in my conservatory with the door open rather than on the deck and luckily was doing just that when rain suddenly hammered down and I heard it and ran out to unpeg washing that had just about dried in previous sunshine... now hanging on a dryer in front of a heater!
    It’s a northerly wind, always cold as Anne will remember, but I had an enjoyable walk on the moors and met all sorts of people I’ve not seen throughout lockdown. Also George’s groomer with her husband and 2 extra dogs that they are fostering through a charity that supports women in violent abusive relationships who don’t tend to leave if it means leaving a pet behind. Two very nervous but beautiful Cavalier King Charles pooches that are loving walking off lead for the first time in their lives. Then I saw a lady who, the last time I saw her had recently lost her husband and oh my goodness, another tragedy. Yesterday she took her 2 dogs to the woods I often used to take Betty and George and apparently both went into the river which is running high after all the rain we’ve had. Her granddaughter noticed the older dog was struggling to swim so they had to go in and pull him out but once on dry land he couldn’t walk so she did her best to carry him to the car until another dog walker helped. Got him to the vet and an examination showed both hips dislocated so it was decided the kindest thing would be to put him to sleep. To cap it all today is the anniversary of her husband‘s funeral. She is the nicest person so it seems particularly cruel that life is not being kind to her.

Barbie, I’m so sorry to read about your line dancing teacher but perhaps you can get a tiny piece of comfort from the fact she was cheerful when you spoke to her in the week. Truly good friends aren’t easy to come by and are sorely missed if they are taken away but I’m thinking you have many happy memories to hold on to because you love your line dancing so much.

Bob, your sister sounds delightful and giving so I can imagine how much you and Jean enjoyed your visit yesterday. Do you know I’ve never in my life eaten a McDonalds burger and at the moment one isn’t on my bucket list although I was amazed at the long queues when they first reopened after lockdown here. Perhaps I’m missing something!

That’s a chunky teapot Lin. Who won that war then? 🙃😜🤪. If I want a blast of music going on in the background I always choose Shirley Bassey. There’s a great you tube video... Shirley Bassey BBC Electric Proms 2009 that you can possibly view in the US should you want a blast yourself!!

Oh dear Anne, you did make me smile when I read you put the furniture back where it was. I’m sure a Jilly won’t mind losing her vantage point!

Sandy, still no new hens because it seems breeders stopped due to lockdown but hopefully I can get some next month.

Brrr, the wind is turning cold although I’m still sitting In my conservatory so I think I’ll test the log fire then get a meal organised.

Jackie
  • linder4866
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :'( I got a call yesterday that my line dance teacher friend died in the morning. She was the teacher when I started line dance in 2004 and she turned her class over to me in 2013 when her health started to fail. I had been calling her every Wednesday afternoon since 2012 when I started helping her teach the beginning line dance class. She had had a fall that injured her shoulder and broke her hip but when I talked to her on Wednesday she was cheerful and feeling positive about her recovery. She added so much to my life and I'll miss talking to her, but I will always have the line dance joy she brought to my life.

<3 Barbie

I am so sorry for your loss. Line dancing has been such a big part of your life over the years. I too remember when you started to teach her class. It seems not that long ago. Hoping you find ways to focus on all the wonderful memories of your friends ❤️❤️

Lin

• jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Hello sneakers! Sunny day today but a bit warm. We are to have a warm weekend so the town is full,of tourists and visitors. It does make me nervous because they seem less inclined to wear masks. Not sure why but it is true.

I am still dealing with internet issues. Currently at least for a few days we have internet. We never realized how important it has become. Can you believe it...there was a time when we didn’t have a phone. It was when I lived on the ranch with my grandparents. I remember the big todo when we finally got hooked up and it was a three party partyline. Glad to see those days are gone! Such frustration to make a simple phone call.

Shopping is not my thing so John gets to do most of the supply trips. He is much better at it than I am. He gets better produce and better prices on things. I grab and go. Not the best shopping strategy.

Yesterday was sort of scary. I was busy and didn’t eat much at all. BUT I took all my meds. I started to have a really low Blood sugar readings and almost fainted. Not good. And totally preventable but it requires attention to responsibility and not acting like a dodo. Lesson learned Again!!!

Jackie: I have lived happily in a construction zone many times in my life. It is not my favorite thing to do but I confess to feeling excited with each new improvement or renewal. Picking out door knobs and light fixtures were exciting wonderful events. John installed everything and I was his handy assistant. We built a 1800 sq. Ft. Home on the crystal river in western Colorado.
    Patsy☘️
  • linder4866
    Options
    Sandy, my friend has had a flip phone for years. That is all. Her late husband knew quite a bit about technology while my friend knows nothing but her flip phone. Using a laptop should be doable for her as she has used computers at the library to get her email (from a gmail account her husband had helped her set up) but she does not understand and is intimidated by tablets and iPads. She will need tech support available. She hasn’t had access to her email account for most of the time since the mess started. The library she used had limited access to laptops and other services in the lobby for less than 2 weeks before they shut down again. She calls me if she needs to have something Googled.

I would like to see her get connected to the world again and her library access has been woefully inadequate.

Patsy, wow, I see you posted. Amazing that you and John built a home in Colorado. You must be a great assistant. ❤️❤️

Lin
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Reading Barbie's and Anne's posts and rendering my sympathy to both. At this time, I'm in great shock over a dear couple who just sent me an email telling me their darling daughter had a heart attack, followed by 2 more, and had died. Not a good time for several of us. I'm really not in the mood to chat but want to send love to all of you.
    <3 Buzz
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    Good Morning friends. Just a hint of the coming fall in the air. Cooler, darker morning. We've just had our breakfast. Weetabix and blueberries for me and chicken and yam for Jilly. I wonder what a whole new day will bring.
    Anne, in anticipation. 🙃🐶❤️
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Hello Anne and everyone. We are back to beautiful weather so I took the pooches to the top moor and spent an hour ambling, mostly because George found so many blades of grass to sniff! Lots of strangers and their dogs in the area that need checking out!
    To share the view I tried the panning button on my iPhone camera
    guarvpb09igs.jpeg
    Slow to upload so may not work!

I’ve also visited the allotment to check for any storm damage but everything is still standing. Came home with beans, beetroot, courgettes, cabbage and turnips as well as some fennel to make a sauce with.

Patsy, I must say the thought of what was ahead of me and the work and mess required was daunting but now that the walls are back to their original state I’m excited to plan what can be done to bring them sympathetically into the 21st century. Small details like uncovered remains of wooden beading round the window alcoves have got my imagination buzzing so I’ll have to add a carpenter to the ever expanding list of tradesmen.
    Each of them that’s worked here so far has told me it will be lovely when finished so patience required!
    I remember a party line here when I first moved in and certainly all the modern techi items available today make a huge difference to our lives. Like Lin, I’ve a friend who refuses to engage in any discussion along those lines, asks friends to buy items online for her so she doesn’t risk her bank account being hacked and pays a small fortune to an IT engineer to hook up a new printer. Not easy to explain over the phone Lin and it’s a shame social distancing gets in the way of you visiting your friend.

Hopefully Anne your change in weather is just a blip. I lit my fire yesterday because it was so cold but today, although only around 18c, we’re back to summer.

Found another brilliant BBC documentary last night, this one about the wonderfully talented Carol King. I was sure I had her Tapestry album in my collection but it appears not. I’ll have to buy a CD or hunt for a vinyl copy on eBay! With no programmes other than news being produced during lockdown the ferrets have been burrowing into the BBC archives and coming up with some gems.

I skipped breakfast and now just eat crackers, cheese and an apple for my lunch. I settled on the deck but had hardly sat when a wasp came in search of the Apple. Now that is a sign of Autumn! Might be a fasting day if not tempted by a chocolate digestive with afternoon cuppa.

Time to muck out the hens who won’t be happy at being turfed out as they’re still broody. Hello to everyone I missed and a special hug for Buzz 🥰

Enjoy Sunday peacefully and safely.
    Jackie

• linder4866
    Options
    Royal Albert

vlvskj49i451.jpeg

Lots more than one teapot

❤️❤️
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    I think your cottage will be wonderful when finished JACKIE! What an exciting project. Sort of going back in time but with everything new and modern as well.

I wouldn't like to do it with this old house though. It was originally a box built for returning WW one wounded soldiers. The back room and back entrance was added first and later the front wall demolished and added to. So, I've ended up with a very odd house indeed. A long living room with a small bedroom off it at the front and the bathroom off the LR in the middle. The kitchen is quite a big square and off it the master bedroom. What was the stairs leading to the basement is now the bedroom clothes closet. The stairs now lead to the basement from the back door to the side of my PATSY style dungeon.

Nevertheless I've always enjoyed living here, the longest place I've ever lived in! Biggest disadvantage is the close to the LR bathroom. Not for lonesome me, but guests!

This is one of the reasons the family was going to tear it down and build anew for Derek before the virus put a stop to that idea. A difficult house to sell as is!

Jilly is ever hopeful Michael will pop by. She is waiting by the back door as I cook a bean stew for lunch.

Anyway, just wanted to say ENORMOUSLY interested in your exciting project Jackie.
    Anne.
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Anne, my Canadian friends who live not far from you in London had a similar home to yours many years ago but in Toronto. I loved that little house because it had so much character but they missed apartment living so moved on after a couple of years. I know it’s for all the wrong reasons but I’m pleased you can stay where you are, for now at least. I’m sure when I’ve shuttled off the proverbial mortal coil someone will soon be knocking out walls and adding extensions but I love my little bit of space as it is even if I can currently see daylight in a corner of one window!
    00yexy6m4smt.jpeg

My neighbours have returned from their canal boating holiday with stories of hoards of people behaving badly so they are relieved to be home. They brought me a handmade chocolate eclair full of double cream from a birthday party they attended so fasting today is over!!

I’m sitting in the last of the sunshine enjoying a cuppa.
    Jackie