Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    So happy to hear from you Patsy. We have been so worried. I googled for your phone numbers but not sure they were current. Let me know if you go it any of my messages. So grateful you and your family are ok. God is good!!
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Playing catch-up – tried getting into message boards multiple times today, but it kept saying they were looking into the issue and not everyone could get access... Only now at 10pm could reach boards.

It was an uneventful day… hit the gym at 5am, got my 10,000 steps in the morning, edited some photos and grilled a lunch for later in the day. Speaking of lunch…. Thursday was the best lunch of the week… (334 cal.) NY Strip steak, Romaine Salad, hot banana peppers rings, Spanish Olives - Salad Sliced (With Minced Pimiento Strips), Red onion, Home Style - Parmesan-Romano, Grilled Vegetables, Spaghetti Squash, Balsamic Spray, Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray, Soy Sauce (splash), garlic &herbs riced cauliflower and Asparagus Tips….

zuvyzafflf6p.jpg

Sandy – glad you liked the other lunch… with regards to “do you ever eat a sandwich?” I actually haven’t had any sliced bread since sometime last year. I don’t even believe it, as I have been a breadaholic my entire life.

Jackie – I’ll have to check with Jean on that Water pic. I usually avoid the area at those times. LOL As for contractors, it amazes me how things seems to have changed from the old days… now it’s great if you can even get an estimate and then have a project started and ending on time. I have finally learned patience, but since down-sizing a few years ago – no longer have as much need.

You’re right about the cancer diagnosis. In my family it’s either cancer and/or heart issues and everyone has been different. My uncle had a huge piece of cancerous intestine removed when he was middle age and went on to live a long life. My mom’s cancer was back in the 60’s (few avail treatments) and was originally told it was simply her “nerves.” Ah the old days… Again, congrats!

Lin – All this talk of Water pics has me thinking I should get one… just might do it. Nice “rain distraction” puzzle. I can recall our last house had a sump pump that was always going because of the drainage. We were out of town once and the basement flooded when it stopped working. What a mess and lost a lot of stuff that was on the floor vs. shelf. I wouldn’t do well in a real wet climate.

Buzz – re: food vs. photography… I actually take photos as sort of a visual food diary in addition to MFP tracking. Jean laughs saying she would never have my food prep patience. For me, the goal is to have a highly nutritious meal that has no resemblance to any kind of a diet meal. Usually, I don’t know what I will end up with until I am done. I always want it to look appetizing and be satiating. When I met Jean, she would open a can of peas – throw them in a bowl and call it a meal. To this day, she is very easy to please re: eating…but has her own way of doing other things…she is amazing when it comes to many tasks. Hope you are doing well.

Have a great Saturday ! Bob
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness you are all safe Patsy. I know you will be sensible and as heartbreaking as it would be, get away from the fires immediately if at any risk. Katie will know so listen to her! Too many ghastly images and stories coming out of that vast area.
    Keep in touch when you can and please take care ❤️❤️❤️
    Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    Gawanne35 Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    PATSY, absolutely, utterly relieved to read from you. We have all been so worried about you and John and Katie and your family. Get out immediately if advised. I spent the day looking up the latest and it's absolutely heartbreaking. I tried to email you, but guessed everything was down. You mean a lot to our little group, possessions can be replaced but not Patsy and her family, so don't take any chances dear friend.
    Anne ❤️❤️❤️
  • pinkperil
    Options
    A reminder if needed how much every sneaker means to our little group. I'm almost scared to check the news but of course must keep an eye on what's happening along the Pacific coast and in particular around Patsy, John and Katie. You're in my thoughts lovely people. <3

The clouds have lifted and the sun is shining. Off to the allotment for a couple of hours but have to get back for a courier delivery of a small tv stand. It has glass shelves so I want to be here to shake the box and listen for a tinkling sound before I accept it!!!
    Back later. Take care everyone.
    <3 Jackie
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,136 Member
    Options
    Patsy, keep taking care of your family. My friend near Portland has their essentials packed, including many things for their darling doggie. They have been at level 2 for a while now but haven’t received the order to evacuate. I have been trying to track your county’s alerts but apparently have not found the correct site. Praying you will not have to evacuate and will remain safe in your home. But we know you will do what is needed to stay safe. ❤️❤️

All best wishes.

Lin
  • linder4866
    Options
    Back again. Did not sleep well last night but that is getting to be quite normal but I was up and/or uncomfortable for a long period of time. That is a bit unusual. So the morning teapot is a bit late.

From the poster: “Wedgwood Golden Cockerel, dating from 1979-80 I think.”

9btdtb3neon8.jpeg

Back to cards. I am making some extremely simple Halloween cards from several patterned papers. I ran out of tape runner last evening and luckily I have several more. Back to running (the tape on paper).

Best wishes.

Lin ❤️🙋🏼‍♀️👍🏻
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday! :) Another rainy gloomy day but starting tomorrow a beautiful week. Other than doing my sheets and riding my bike not much going on today. Depends on weather to visit Joe later and I am bringing my heater to keep in his garage for the cooler days when we might need it. Not sure what he will do when winter comes I am not going in his house or closing the garage door.One Day at a Time.
    BTW I must make a correction on what I told Buzz. Not all the fires were caused by the gender reveal party only one in Los Angeles. My son corrected me and I apologize.

Lin, I am sorry you had a bad night of sleeping, I did that the night before and I hate when that happens. I made up for it last night and got a good night's sleep. My son friends also live in Portland and said the air quality is very bad but no fires near them.

Jackie, yes each of you is important to me so worrying about each other is part of our lives during these strange times. Good luck with your delivery I hope everything is intact.

Anne, I agree, possessions are just things and can be replaced, life is a different matter.

Bob, you and Jean sound like a perfect match.

Have a great day and stay safe especially you Patsy.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time

• Gawanne35
    Options
    Well I woke up to see three strange garbage cans on my front. We are allowed three garden refuse bins so I wasn't too pleased because I still had my garden refuse to put out. Peering in them, the remains of the lilac bush. That means Harry had dumped them there during the night without being polite enough to ask if it was okay. It was his bush after all. Anyway I have pulled up my side window blinds now that I no longer have privacy down that side of the house with the object of if I can't have privacy neither can Harry from now on. I shall have my beady eye on him - the proverbial nosy neighbour. I've already rattled on the window three times now and waved merrily to him and twice to Joyce his missus. Bean is adding to the "goodwill" by barking at him now she can see him out the window. So what was so upsetting seeing the lilac gone is turning into a fun thing with no confrontations.
    Best of all though, I've found a few short branches growing on my side and they will be allowed to grow and drop rain drops and snow on the precious boat (the reason he cut the lilac down). If I sound mean you have to remember I've had 30 years of Harry doing just whatever he wants to my side of his property and this worms turning.

Marie has her problems as well. She took Tony to the shops and met Troubles dad there. Trouble is a dog. Anyway because she stopped to say hello Tony took exception and tried to hit Troubles dad. She was telling Michael this - from a distance in case Michael got boffed as well. Tony is a big man and the dementia is making him very jealous, even of his sons who he no longer recognizes. Wish Harry would talk to Maria in Tony's presence, lol.

So virus or not, things are not lonesome or without their humour around here.
    Anne.

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Great morning. Temp hitting mid-70’s with sunshine. Took a quick cell photo of sunrise on the way to gym (pic). Just back from mall walking with Jean and plan to cookout within the hour. This afternoon, going to walk at Onondaga Lake Park and then work on baby photo edits again.

Played around with a selfie and combined it with a backdrop photo, I took on another day (pic). Wanted a current pic at my 165 lb weight (not seen since high school) knowing I plan to re-gain 10 lbs or so eventually thru exercise etc…. and I do enjoy “creative” editing and restorations for fun.

xb3seprsizhj.jpg

w32z3umohj3p.jpg

Patsy – You have certainly been to hell and back. I can’t even imagine! Think of you as we watch the news and can feel the discomfort in the words with which you describe your environment (air on fire, smoke that blocks the sun and breathing difficulties). It must have been horrible, not being able to connect and glad to hear you have some of those up and running again. Also glad you have family nearby for now and afterwards. Looking forward to your updates…sad seeing so much destruction. Will say a few prayers for you all.

Lin – Hope you get a chance to catch up on your sleep. Those Halloween cards sounds very intriguing and can’t wait to see the final product. We just got word that the annual Enchanted Beaver Lake: The Perfect Halloween Tradition has been cancelled. It is something we have done every year with daughter, son-in-law and grandchildren…”Over 400 uniquely carved jack-o-lanterns and luminaria light your way along two trails as you venture through the darkness…a popular family-friendly evening includes face painting, fortune telling and special treats.” Another victim of COVID. Such is life. Sleep tight tonight --- hopefully.

Sandy – When I read about your “gloomy” weather, I almost feel bad about our sunshine. Happy the forecast looks better for you. The fires you mention are so devastating. We continue to check the news, as it seems more is learned each day. I agree with both you and Anne re: possessions. While I respect “things” of value… I save my “love” for living creatures. As I have gotten older, I place more value on relationships. You are correct about Jean and me. To my surprise (not hers) it worked from day #1…

Oh well… grill time! Bob

• delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Not much to add today as almost everything seems to be at a standstill (or quarantined!)...
    I feel fairly normal, and my therapist keeps me walking daily. I do have one painful shoulder, but hasn't everyone? LIN, your agenda exhausts me, just thinking about it!
    JACKIE, either you'll have to train Betty better or get a new carpenter! I had a good laugh!
    SANDY, I recall another devoted Mother when you had Daisy!
    ANNE & LIN, I've never received "proof" photos :'( .
    BARBIE, I would have to put on my dancing shoes BEFORE showering, since dancing makes me perspire almost immediately!
    A neighbor sent up a box of blueberries with my nurse just now. What a wonderful gift to add to my dinner! (They came half-frozen.)
    Afraid the keyboard position is still very tiring for me so I'll stop boring all of you and crawl into my lounge chair.
    <3 Buzz
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, Patsy, how dreadful that sky looks. I'm sure we don't have to encourage you to be careful, do we?
    Our weather looked storm- threatening this morning but is now just cloudy. I seldom go out anyway. Hope everyone is staying safe.
    <3 Buzz
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hi Buzz❤️❤️🙋🏼‍♀️ Very glad to hear you are walking daily. Excellent! Sincerely hope that you see even more progress. I don’t go out much either my friend. Since we have had loads of rain, I haven’t even gone to the library to pick up the books I have on hold. Next week.

The Halloween card fronts are finished. And a birthday card that needs to hit the mail next week is close to ready. Need to write a note and address the envelope.

And I got a package today but no proof of delivery. FedEx doesn’t seem to do that. But I had a great coupon from eBay and used it to order some of the tiny puzzles. they arrived. Of course, had to get one out.

cixgypb2ye59.jpeg

I love these art puzzles.

See you later.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Been watching a documentary on singer Adele and now it’s past my bedtime.

Parcel arrived thanks Sandy and no breakages. I did begin to unpack the heavy box but apart from checking all the parts are there did no more. Tomorrow! Hopefully your gloomy weather will have gone by then too.

The plasterer I phoned a week ago called this evening to apologise for the delay... lost the scrap of paper he’d written my phone number on! He will drop in tomorrow when he’s finished work on a dry stone wall. What ever happened to weekends when people took time off?

Goodness Anne, that Harry is one cheeky man filling your bins with his lilac tree. I do love your response 😆🙋🏼‍♀️ Keep waving! Thirty years is definitely long enough to be putting up with his antics.
    Your other neighbour is a saint but I fear one day soon she will have to find a safe place for her husband before he seriously hurts someone.

Delicious dishes of food Bob. Last night I saw a section of our Gogglebox series when viewers watched a famous cook in her 80’s make what was in effect a toasted ham and cheese sandwich except she grated one type of cheese for the centre then grilled it, spread Dijon mustard, added the ham, put the sandwich together then grilled another layer of a different cheese on top. I could see she took as much pleasure from the preparation as eating it but the response from the viewers was what a fuss and long time, they would prefer a quick takeaway burger. So many have lost the art of preparing enticing food and they don’t know what they are missing was my thought!
    Love your selfie too on that backdrop, very clever. I imagine you lose hours engrossed in such projects.

Hello Buzz 🥰. Unfortunately Betty’s gassing trick is beyond training so now I point out to whoever is with me that it’s my dog, not me! When she did it to the carpenter his response was that his dog does it all the time so don’t worry! Good to read you are walking so the physiotherapist must be doing a grand job, along with you who does most of the actual work of course. Yummy. Blueberries! We had a good crop at the allotment once we covered the bushes with agricultural fleece to keep the birds and squirrels from stealing the lot. They’d already enjoyed a large percentage of our strawberries, then there’s the flock of racing pigeons that drop down to strip our kale And spinach!

That’s an interesting design on your jigsaw Lin. Is it Inuit art? Looks very similar and the artists name appears to be from that region. A pretty teapot although the cockerel looks ready for a fight!!

Thinking of you all Patsy. ❤️❤️❤️

Gone 1am so better get the pooches into the garden for a final loo break then off to bed. 😴
    Jackie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :) Greetings from smoky NW WA...dog walking almost as usual but Jake is not allowed to go out at all so I do his walks as well as mine. Lots of dancing and exercise bike riding...nearing completion of another knitted blanket for Project Linus.

<3 Barbie
  • Gawanne35
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Oh oh, more later. Bad start to a posting day!
    Annie.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello. Getting started with a teapot.

“ Hand painted Jackfield teapot, made in Staffordshire, England c1860”

xadyx3qwmm6u.jpeg

❤️❤️
    Lin
  • pinkperil
    edited September 2020
    Options
    https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-grow-berberis/

Hi Anne, I have every sympathy because the first and only work on their property my not so neighbourly neighbours did after moving in nearly 20 years ago was to cut the hedge between us from 6’ to 4’ without any discussion so I not only have to listen to their noise but see them too. When their two girls were of an age to have a trampoline it was pushed against said hedge so I had to endure them fighting and screaming as they tried to push each other out or if they saw me they’d tell tales on each other. My response was to tell them they should love each other and be nice because they’re sisters! 😉
    Over the years I’ve planted fast growing shrubs along that side of my garden so regained some privacy.

The Berberis shrub will be perfect for you I’m sure because it hurts like billio if you get too close but is very attractive and you will know to wear gardening gloves! A friend has grown them along her fence that borders a public area because she feared intruders and feels very secure now.

I’m currently constructing my new tv stand on the floor so hips complaining a bit. Paused for coffee, now back to it.

See you all later. Hoping no news is good news for Patsy and John.

Jackie
  • Gawanne35
    Options
    THANKS JACKIE, I've found a photo and sent it to Mary Jo! Is berberis a relation of cotoneaster?
    I had one in Derbyshire, loved it, and it grew up the side of the house. Little green lizards lived in the roots. They were dear little green things like jewels. Apparently berberis can be grown here and it sounds just the ticket! It won't bother me being on the edge of my lawn, just a thing of beauty from my window, but on my property, so H will be in big trouble if he tries to cut it back when using my bit of frontage to move the boat. I wonder if he's renting the space and it's not his boat at all.
    Please be careful of your complaining hips! Please don't do any damage to them. My backs killing me today so sympathies sent!
    Now must try and persuade Mary Jo to drive me to a garden centre!
    Anne the grateful. 😀❤️
  • pinkperil
    Options
    Not sure about Cotoneaster relationship Anne. That’s the rose family I think whereas Berberis seems to be its own species. Good luck at the garden centre and hopefully they will have more information on the type grown in Canada.

Plasterer due any time now.... George barking!!
    Jackie