Fearless October 2020 Challenge

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
edited September 2020 in Social Groups
Ahhh...it's that time again. Fall. Temps turns cooler. Leaves change color. At least in the Northern Hemisphere, anyway. But, regardless, all those holiday foods start creeping in on us. Pumpkin this and that. Parades of Halloween candy-crack...And shortly after that Thanksgiving (for some). More and more holiday parties smack us in the face with all those goodies. Before you know it, it's the New Year, and you're wondering "What the heck happened!!!" You're sporting extra weight. You feel guilty and unhealthy. And disappointed in yourself.

And now you're justifiably afraid. You're welcome. :lol:
In honor of this being the scary month, you can tackle fear or a scary pattern that often derails you or inhibits your progress.

It doesn't have to be scary! This month's theme is Fearless October. This will be month 1 of a "prepping for the holidays" basics crash course: This is my 6th holiday season as a low-carber. And I have lost weight during this period in the past. It CAN be done.

The keys to success in this WOE, or any eating plan for that matter, is three-fold:
  • Consistency
  • Persistence
  • Time

Well, isn't that trite and overly simplistic? I'll admit it is simple, but not easy.

Don't freak though. To let those 3 keys work for you, you need to be prepared. PLAN PLAN PLAN. I can't stress this enough. Plan ahead; log ahead. When you have a firm plan and procedure in place, you create good habits. And good habits work for you by keeping up momentum even when things get busy, chaotic, or just plain scary. You've already paved the road for yourself! All you have to do is stay on the smooth way and enjoy the scenery.

So in this challenge, and in the months ahead, we'll be working to set up and reinforce those good habits before you get in the thick of it. We'll be setting up those easy paths and building up that momentum by practicing a habit pattern to predispose us to sail through the holidays. Here will be you can keep track of the goals you reach. We can encourage one another, get advice about any trouble spots, share low-carb-legal recipes of our holiday favorites. Identify scenarios or patterns that absolutely scare you to death, and tackle the hades out of them.

We're going to compete with ourselves. We'll set up good habits in areas like: water, electrolytes, staying under carb goal, logging daily, staying close to cal goal, hitting our exercise goal, and for resisting a temptation or working on our "fear."

You all may want to add a goal like: "Pre-logged Day" or "Planned Ahead" or "Resisted Off-Plan Halloween Treat" or "Packed On-Plan Lunch". I do not recommend nixing the logging calories or carbs; however, if you are one who becomes stressed by calorie counting, that's ok. But I recommend at least keeping track of your daily carb intake. Portion and carb creep are real. And it helps to occasionally reset our ability to "eye" our carb-count. Now would be a good time to recalibrate your carb-sense. I want every single one of you guys to coast through the holidays, enjoying them to the fullest. Preparation and consistency are key.

On the First of the month, or now if you just can't wait, sign in to let us know your personal goals.
We'll accept challengers at any time of the month. Remember, you are competing against yourself, and starting on getting the basics down (or refreshing them like I am), before the hectic holiday season is fully upon us, is our goal.

em7od5ymabaq.pngLet's go get it!em7od5ymabaq.png

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,277 Member
    Options
    My goals are .... pre log my food ....drink 120 oz. water daily (I love my water) ...check in MFP Daily ...stay under my carb intake which is 42g ...and workout 6 days a week ... I change my workouts monthly so I will be doing zumba, yoga and walking outside :)
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I hear you about the holiday awareness planning. In my past keto life I did lose alot of weight during "the season" It can be done, pals!! I relied heavily on small but fun non-food rewards for every three pounds lost. I remember keeping a list of things and pre-ordering them so they would be there tangibly to work for.
    That really helped me....hmm maybe I should start that up again...

For my Fearless October this year, I'm going to raise my steps to one mile a day. More if it happens would be a thrill, and will be noted.

Still not ready to formally address food plan at this time, but my daily goal with food always is keto as a lifestyle.
    Good, bad, or ugly...I do log food, electrolytes, and fluids faithfully.

For now. I'm just grateful to be getting my body moving again!

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    October challenge for me...
    Food:
    Keep the calories in check, log everything, keep protein at 125g a day or higher and keep carbs at or below 125g net (pre ride days) and at or below 75 net (pre workout days). No secret snacking on the Halloween treats!
    Exercise:
    I think I have the cardio down with riding 5 days a week for the last 3 months, so I will switch it up this month. Continue to ride but keep it to a M/W/F schedule. On T/TH do bodyweight/DB workouts to strengthen/maintain muscle mass gained from previous gym work (since I WILL NOT go back to the gym as long as this mess is around). Stay active on weekends - no couch potato weekends - walks, yard work, cleaning, etc.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    October goals and how i plan to get there:

Pre log food each day-better planning and food prep
    Minimum 5000 steps each day-now have working FitBit, music/headphones, walking dvd
    Using my hand weights 3X week-working with trainer plus moving all my weights to one room

Also working on my technology apprehension-installed music app on my phone and working on setting up my new (larger!) tablet to use for workouts as well.

I am 177 lbs today and not happy with that. Not making loss a goal yet until I get my good habits back. Next Month for sure :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    Options
    Ok. So still slowly working on the Quarantine 15.
    I lost 3.4lb last month.
    SW: 178.8
    GW: 167 (Hoping for by Christmas. Also my reg weight in the Before Times.)
    Ultimate GW: 160 (which I can get to but NEVER stay at but, hey, hopes and dreams :smirk: )

Other goals:
    • Progressing on lifitng. Thanks to Sjogren's and chronic fatigue, progress is very slow. Still working on that.
    • NO BOOZE NO BOOZE NO BOOZE... The buzz is nice but I always feel like trash a few hours later no matter how much water, electrolytes, or whatever I try. Not nice enough to be worth it, and that's 500 cals a week that is keeping me from my goal.
    • No lazy logging!

I'm just hoping to shed fluff. When I get back from my trip this weekend (camping) then I'll also take measurements to have a look see. Around this weight I tend to experience "stalling scale syndrome" where I'm dropping inches but not seeing numbers move scale-wise for awhile. Weighing in every 2 weeks. I JUST WANNA FIT ALL MY JEANS!
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    10/1 2 of 3 goals met
    Pre-logged my day and hit 5351 steps, pretty happy with that.
    Will do strength training today.

Food planning is a work in progress, I have today planned but need to do a whole bunch of food prep this weekend to be ready for next week.

Feeling a change in my brain to WANT to make this work.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    10/1:
    Food was good, calories were reasonable, protein - 172g, carbs 113g net (pre-ride day so good).
    Exercise - did a quick body weight workout in the morning, was a slug the rest of the day (work issues kept me at the desk most of the day). Only got 2k steps for the day (gotta work on that for the non-ride days).
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    10/2 all goals are met ...walked 90 minutes ...3.52 miles
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Not the best effort for today; but, not the worst either. I'd call it a C grade.

3/4 mile of steps. I can live with that.

Food not on plan, and not good; but it's been worse.

Still trying to grab on to that brass ring of fierce motivation. Looking for a snowball effect...it could happen any time now as long as I don't throw in the towel.

I'm finding near total isolation numbs my daily expectations in all areas. I want to just wake up each day and do all the things....instead it's just dribs and drabs and tiny little pockets of zest that last about a minute.

So, here's to those minutes!! They keep me going.

• chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I've failed miserably so far, but today is a new day!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    10/3 goals met but I am taking the entire weekend off of walking and working out all together ...my foot with the screw in it is giving me problems ...I have sketcher shoes and I went out and bought the gel inserts ...didn't help so I am going to try my sketcher's hiking boots with the gel inserts on Monday ...if that doesn't help then I did to find a better walking shoe that has better support ...
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I got to get my fat *kitten* moving or I'm going to die of a heart attack or stroke. Exercise is probably the most important thing I could be doing and only takes about 30-45 minutes for a great workout. Just do it!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I did a watp 2 mile belly blasting workout. At 1 1/2 miles I just walked slowly though. I did do some 50 lb. farmer's walks. Time for some Beat Saber and VR Boxing.
  • eneild
    eneild Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    A little late to the party, but I’m in! After 6 months of blah, stress, and poor food choices, it’s time to re-focus.

1. Return to the foods that work for me (I.e. no nuts!)
    2. Challenge myself by training for a Thanksgiving day virtual half marathon. First day of the 8 week training starts tomorrow!