Waist Aways - October 2020 Team Chat

Options

Replies

• KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    @CanadianGiraffe Happy Birthday!!!πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰

I have had a pretty good week so far. My eating has been good. I did a short workout Monday with the baby. Yesterday, I worked out after work🀯 I'm usually so tired I make excuses, so I am pretty proud of that one. Today, I got in a Barre workout before the baby woke up.

@gidgitgoescrazy Can you do a quick rinse in the shower and not get your hair wet? That's what I do when I'm running late.
  • jguldi11
    jguldi11 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    jugar wrote: Β»
    How do you all beat those instant-gratification moments vs actually feeling good for a longer time? Usually I just have to avoid the trigger foods that send me in that direction, but it would be good to put together a list of techniques you find that could work. It certainly helps to have a collection of them!

Cravings are a beast! I had a very similar situation a few days ago with Oreo cookies, we NEVER have them in our house but the hubs saw a new flavor he wanted to try. Well I tried some too. And then had another.... But not any more since!

Avoidance is my #1 strategy but when I don't have that option I use self-talk, usually I call it out as it is and say "This is just a craving, it will pass" or "Don't let it control you" or something similar.

Or I'll think of how much exercise it would take to burn it off and decide it's not worth it.

Sometimes I'll find a healthier alternative, like Halo Top ice cream pints instead of Ben and Jerrys.

I too agree that when I'm happier in other areas of life it's so much easier to ignore or deal with cravings.

And sometimes (especially when stressed or tired) I cave in and eat the food. It's a work in progress for sure.

I look forward to others' tips!
  • Gidgitgoescrazy
    Gidgitgoescrazy Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    [quote=
    How do you all beat those instant-gratification moments vs actually feeling good for a longer time? Usually I just have to avoid the trigger foods that send me in that direction, but it would be good to put together a list of techniques you find that could work. It certainly helps to have a collection of them![/quote]

So I have to really not have anything in the house that is a trigger, Like cookies.. there are very few I like, so yes I bought a bag last week, and had 1 cookie - then told my husband and son that I needed them gone as soon as possible, and they love me so much, they finished the bag on monday... we bought more cookies, but they were kinds I don't care for, so I won't even bother... I think over time I have figured out what is a trigger and what isn't - we have chocolate in the freezer, it's Hershey bars... I like them, but they aren't a trigger. Reese cups, they are a trigger... Ice cream, plain vanilla, I like it, Not a trigger.. Moose tracks, I'll eat the whole thing... Nuts, if they aren't roasted and salted, no biggie.. Smokehouse Almonds - I will eat the whole can...

So I guess for me, at this point, there is no instant gratification, as I just don't have it in the house.. If I want it, I have to go to the store and buy it... A few weeks ago, I decided I wanted a donut while in the grocery store, I coulda bought 6 donuts for 4 dollars, but instead, I paid 3 dollars for 3 donuts, because I knew I would eat the other 3. Hubby and son, aren't fans of donuts like me, hubby ate his, my son didn't, so of course I ate his, and was a little mad at myself, but it could have been so much worse...

So I guess my technique is avoidance, and having a hubby who will take one for the team ! LOL
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,109 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday!
    You guys are the best - your ideas about cravings are super helpful. I'm usually pretty good at the avoidance part, but the tougher puzzle piece is feeling strong and positive. Thanks for the eloquent reminder on that one @spyro88 - that was the message I needed! You are so right. I am feeling rather bored and lonely these days, and the super active outdoor stuff I love to do is winding down. Snowshoeing has not started yet :smiley: I'm not practicing my music because there are no concerts, and I'm not so good anymore at just playing for myself. There is a constant soundtrack in my head to keep me company, but I really need to get back to making sound. I need to think of it as therapy and maybe I'll do it more! The difficulty is playing alone - it is such a means of connection for me, and I dreadfully miss the people I usually play with. But you are absolutely right - I need to find ways to feel strong and positive and then the cravings will be a cinch to quash.

@Gidgitgoescrazy - you need to schedule those days off and make it a TASK. Don't wait for your body to get down on its knees and beg! That makes you feel feeble and like just giving up. You get a day off every week. You can still take a nice relaxing walk, but no heavy duty stuff. Stretching is also a good job for days off. Let those muscles recover.

Weigh-in update:
    @coll7246 - where are you? hopefully you will weigh in this week, otherwise we will have to drop you... come in any time!
    @conleywoods due today, as I'm sure you know!

Have a lovely day, folks. I'm off for a hike with DH! He never comes with me - wonder what has come over him? :lol:
  • CanadianGiraffe
    CanadianGiraffe Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    @spyro88 Thanks for your comments to @jugar. Wise words indeed.

I ended up a bit over on my calories yesterday but I did log it all instead of giving up on the day so that is a step in the right direction. And I signed back up for another year at the gym. We have managed to avoid the snow they've had in other parts of the province but the temperatures are very frosty so we have been sticking pretty close to home. It always seems funny to me these first cold days how we seem to avoid it. But then it hits us that this is the way it is going to be for a long while and we get out and make the most of it. There are so many great outdoor winter activities but right now we are still stuck in missing summer!
  • YinxFed
    YinxFed Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Steps update for 14th October:

Steps - 2607
    Exercise - 0 minutes
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Random fitness thing: Laying on my back, I can finally get my feet up over my head and plant them on the wall behind me like I could as a kid. I improved my core strength after all! I tried this a few months ago and couldn't lift my hips enough. XD

Random non-fitness thing: my favorite band releases a new album tomorrow and man if this isn't the longest day ever. Also I can't share my excitement literally anywhere because then my friends/ family will be like "who's your favorite band" and I feel weird about saying their name.
  • jugar
    Options
    Terytha wrote: Β»
    Random fitness thing: Laying on my back, I can finally get my feet up over my head and plant them on the wall behind me like I could as a kid. I improved my core strength after all! I tried this a few months ago and couldn't lift my hips enough. XD

Random non-fitness thing: my favorite band releases a new album tomorrow and man if this isn't the longest day ever. Also I can't share my excitement literally anywhere because then my friends/ family will be like "who's your favorite band" and I feel weird about saying their name.

That is so good! I remember finally being able to lift my hips up, slowly lower my feet behind my head, and slowly being able to go back - the lower abs strength was a whole new thing and it felt great. But seriously, don't feel weird. Who is your favourite band?
  • jugar
    Options
    @Terytha
    I am going to have to find them and listen to it! They sound like just what we need these days... And if they make you smile, then all is good.
  • CanadianGiraffe
    CanadianGiraffe Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Today turned into a good day. Logged all my food and ended up in a good place, and spent 30 minutes on the rowing machine. Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes. Between Thanksgiving Monday and birthday supper Tuesday I think there is a pretty good chance tomorrow will not be green. :( But we'll see in the morning...
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    @conleywoods Clothes are a big motivator for me too :) I love the idea of fitting into smaller clothes and looking good in the things I like on the rails. Enjoy your new autumn wardrobe!

Morning all!

So I have had a really good couple of days. Yesterday was my last session with a young person I've been supporting for over a year now... it was a lovely ending as she has progressed happily into a new job, and has come on so far during our time together! She brought me chocolates and a card which was really nice (although I'll have to go easy on the chocolates haha!)

The day before that I managed to do my gardening project (2 hours of digging and pulling out heavy sedges!) AND get to the gym. At the end of the day I realised that a few months ago I probably wouldn't have been able to do all that physical activity in one day... it felt really good to realise I have actually become fitter.

Today my partner has to have a scan at the hospital which he is a bit worried about so I'll be supporting him through that, but then we have a nice chilled weekend planned :)
This discussion has been closed.