Mission Slimpossible - December 2020 Team Chat

Options

Replies

• TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,608 Member
    Options
    @TeresaW1020 Thank you, I love his blue eyes too! Thanks also for the podcast suggestion, I will try to track it down for a listen.

@Cornanda Thank you for the birthday wishes :smile:

@raleighgirl09 Hahahha I did change my profile pic around that time! I am loving being a boy mum so far - my son is such a sweetheart though, he's a gentle soul. I hope he stays that way and doesn't give me dramas later!!

@Katmary71 Ahahahha consider his cheeks thoroughly pinched on your behalf! I'm glad you're enjoying the snow globe - sometimes it's the littlest things that make our day!

@GretchenReine Hang in there. Is there one thing you can focus on that is causing your spiral at the moment?

@trooworld Thank you, we think he's just the cutest! Only his 2nd birthday tomorrow though :wink: don't make him 3 already!
    I have never thought about something like the weather/pressure systems being a trigger for migraines! Maybe that's something I should start tracking around the times I get a migraine, just to see. It would suck because you can't avoid that trigger, but at least you know that was the cause!

@AustinRuadhain Thank you :smiley:

@leonadixon I'm glad that you are measuring your progress off the scale as well - seems like you are definitely making progress even if it's not showing on the scale just now.

@GabiV125 Great loss this week!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ugh another late night for me last night. 5.5 hours is not enough sleep, especially two nights in a row :tired_face:

Finished yesterday with a small deficit but didn't eat a single vegetable! My body feels like it needs a good yoga session, so I'm hoping to get that in tonight. I'm glad today is my last day of work this week (I have Friday off for my son's birthday) as I'm looking forward to a sleep in tomorrow!

100 DAY CHALLENGE GOALS
    Day 78: Wednesday 9 December
    1. Log calories eaten: Yes - 53/78
    2. 20 mins exercise: No - 42/78
    3. Record a calorie deficit: Yes - 41/78
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    @raleighgirl09, I have nothing to say about your excellent post concerning the soul searching you are in with maintenance. I’m watching and reading you with great interest. I totally believe that you will figure it out because you don’t shy away from asking the hard questions. You are a Rockstar!! B) I hope you will like that podcast. Not sure if low carb is your thing but I’ve become totally obsessed! Today, I watched an Amazon Prime documentary called Fat Fiction. VERY interesting!! :)

Hi Team! Just a quick check-in since I forgot that I have to leave for church in a few minutes and hang out with the 4 and 5-year-olds. At least I’m not the teacher this week and can stick to my role as “Enforcer.” :D Today was pretty chill. I watched this awesome documentary on Prime. See my post above for the name! I talked to my mom at dinner about getting serious about laying off the carbs so that she can get off her diabetes meds. It’s totally doable and there is no reason for her not to live her best life even if she is 77 years old. Once I conquer her, I will move on to my husband. :grin:

NEW YEAR CHALLENGE:23 Days until January 1st
    1.Fast Clean:I fasted 19 hours today.
    2.Workout: I did a 30-minute cardio program
    3.Eat on plan: I ate on plan
  • SammyDee2015
    SammyDee2015 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Daily check in Wednesday ✅
    NO midnight snack attack ✅
    100oz water ❌(47)
    10K steps ✅

Seeing my water intake is still lower than I wish,,, I wonder if my funny bone is dehydrated.

Feeling a wee stressed but trying hard to keep it inside and not pollute others. Instead I went into the basement, and ran intervals while watching a romantic holiday flick. Then stretched for almost a half hour.

Seemed to work.
  • raleighgirl09
    raleighgirl09 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    raleighgirl09
    Wednesday check in

Happy hump day, Slims! Had a good day - managed two walks and a very healthy chunk over 10,000 steps! Food on plan, everything good. Didn't pre-log but pre-planned and followed the plan in my head. Note to self - that could be the first step in a slip. If you planned it - pre-log it. Don't be lazy.

Confession to my friends: I have been writing all of my life. Poetry as a kid, fiction as a teen, non-fiction observational for probably 25 years. Never published anything but I do write. => My style is non-fiction, observational, in a conversational tone. Like weight loss, it took me a long time to determine my style and groove and get in there and figure out where I am most comfortable. It ain't everyone's cup o' tea but it keeps me entertained - turns out, I am my best audience!! B)

Check in: yes
    Water: yes
    Food logged (pre-logged?): yes (yes)
    Basic calorie goal: yes
    10,000 steps: yes

@SammyDee2015 just like @TeresaW1020 is keeping her eye on me - I'm keeping my eye on you! I have the night snacking problem, too, and I am highly encouraged by your green check marks stacking up!! Mine are, also and just....wow, go US!! =>
    @TeresaW1020 I can only hope that my trials and tribulations of getting to the maintenance phase and staying there can help not only me but all the buds in the group. It's helpful to me to have a place to lay my thoughts out - like an architect or engineer spreading out the blueprints, I can't really see it until I unfurl it on a big table and look at both the small details and the high level vantage point. I'm keeping my eye on @AustinRuadhain!!! I think the awesome aspect of the group is we all watch and learn from one another....priceless
    @TwistedSassette I hope you get plenty of sleep, have a fantastic morning with a little extra sleep at the end and have a wonderful party with the fam and friends! It will be so fun - hope we see some pics!
    @Cornanda you've done really well for the last couple of days - I'm happy for us both that we can see them start to build. I know for me that each day I have this feeling of being more in control of keeping my word to myself, the better off I am. @trooworld is coming along. too, and it is very encouraging. I appreciate you both helping each other and allowing me to tag along to reap the bennies!! <3
    @leonadixon the scale number and the tape measure don't always align. if I had my druthers, I'd take the measuring tape - keeping working it, the number will catch up. In any case, I have found that my body is shaping and reshaping on a different schedule than the scale and they don't always take the same order.
    GabiV125 wrote: »
    @raleigh_girl - I love your maintenance metaphors. Is it possible that weight loss was a battle, with plans and defined end result, and maintenance feels less measurable and with no end in sight?
    I disagree on one thing, maintenance IS losing weight, you are losing the weight you’d gain, if you give up. Print out your losing graph and turn it around, so the curb goes up and know that could be the outcome of not fighting.
    You love numbers, plans and to solve problems so define this one into the type that speaks to you. Then when you are ready, start solving it!

Holy cow @GabiV125, you certainly resonated with us all, there's a TON of great advice here to unpack! <3 I'm going to ponder this Is it possible that weight loss was a battle, with plans and defined end result, and maintenance feels less measurable and with no end in sight? and this maintenance IS losing weight, you are losing the weight you’d gain, if you give up - like wow.....YES. You didn't say it specifically but the idea of knowing a thing and pondering it and getting it into gear with thoughts and planning and then engaging.....that *is* what I'm doing! And that actually has worked for me on many levels. Thanks so much for weighing in, very helpful! And DUDE - if ever there was a best place to WOOSH - weigh day is**it**!!!!! Very aggravating when it is the following day, I've had that! Great weigh in!
  • raleighgirl09
    Options
    GretchenReine
    Wednesday Weigh-in

December 1: 307.2
    December 2: 308.8
    December 9: 310.8 :'(
    December 16:
    December 23:
    December 30:

@GretchenReine is there a small change you can make this week that you know makes a difference.....? I know the movement and pain in the knee is making that aspect difficult - can you make a bigger focus elsewhere to try to balance out not having that? I know this is frustrating - I applaud that you are still here and checking in....how can we help get you over the hump?
  • raleighgirl09
    Options
    Check-in for Tuesday

@raleighgirl09

For me, one of the things I have been coming to grips with, having gotten in the range of a "happy weight" again, is that I am generally getting better or getting worse, but rarely cruising along and staying level, and that's okay. I think that the first step is to keep paying attention, to keep my eye on the ball. If I stop paying attention to the things that make my body get a little bit better, the scale number will go up. It just will. There are so many treats, and they are so cheap. And it's so easy to not move, or not enough. And my body/brain is perfectly happy to ask for the most gratifyingly sweet treats, and to pass on exercise. So I keep working on habits and having helpful conversations and finding little things to do to be improving rather than letting entropy do its thing.
    My current mental image of "maintenance" is my car on the freeway. If I take my foot off the gas, things don't change a lot at first, but the car starts slowing down, and eventually the changes get hard to turn around. So I keep putting in effort to keep things going forward.

@AustinRuadhain thank you for these thoughts - I'm trying to not feel a tinge sad about what I made bold. I remember you saying once that you always imagined it was going to be going on cruise, kind of auto pilot to maintain but were surprised to find it isn't like that at all. I think I have been fighting that reality - or unable to see it - or blind, deaf and dumb. Or all of that. Going to have to come to grips with it because the gain/lose method is wearisome.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,571 Member
    Options
    Hey gang! I can't post the picture of my snow globe on our feed, I can post an Amazon link with it tomorrow. I've never been able to keep files attached when posting. Did my arm cardio and stretching, my pain is really bad right now because I'm real stressed out. I didn't sleep last night and tried napping today and some loud annoying person kept snoring and waking me up, it was me! I tried a cannabis tea today and it brought my pain back to an 8 so that was good. She crashed and damaged the gate when she left, I'm pretty sure it's repaired now but my body went extra crazy standing all that time. She's pretty nice but flaky, if it keeps me from the ER though I'll find a way.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,571 Member
    Options
    Here's the snow globe! It's technically more like a lantern. It's kind of gaudy but I get a kick out of it! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DNMM1M3/ref=twister_B08DNM5BSF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

There's a video down the page.
  • raleighgirl09
    Options
    Week 2 weigh in Thursday (10Dec2020) @broncobuddee
    Previous weight:180.9
    Current weight: 175.3
    LTD MFP #2 59.7 lbs
    LTD overall 124.7 lbs

Early checking in today - I'm back at the doc's office today and tomorrow for a mock audit of the work we've done since July. The mock audit will be with folks I used to work with which will be a bit odd but at the same time....nice to see them. I tried on several outfits last night so that I could present looking my absolute best - petty, but true. Just like when I went to pick my personal stuff up from the office in June and made sure I looked great (which = successful since I last saw you hookers), and my husband likened the behavior to dressing to the nines when you know you'll see an old boyfriend you don't want to get back with. It's a lot like that - it was a complicated relationship, even if I was largely unaware until the end. =>

My weight this week has had some very wide swings. After the high weight, I was shedding a lot of water and daily losing a lot - then a couple days of the scale going up and now, this morning.....settling here at a 5.6 pound loss for the week. My weight and daily weighing is almost always a bit erratic given my issues with sodium, especially when travelling, but this was crazy even for me. I would love to be under 170 again by the new year but that may be quite a stretch.

Today's challenges....which I am determined not to make extended challenges for the week and month!!!!!.....will be that I probably won't get a walk, being in the office all day. I'm taking food and pre-planning, pre-logging and with COVID, there shouldn't be any issue with a spontaneous lunch out - I won't eat inside a restaurant right now and if they get take out and eat there....I might as well have my own, healthier lunch. Water can also be a challenge when there all day - I get busy and forget.

Tomorrow are the same challenges, I'm there again. Good news, though, you can stop holding your breath wondering - I already know what I'm going to wear.
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,905 Member
    Options
    @Cornanda I tracked everything yesterday, thanks! I have tracked lunch today. I Will track dinner after I get off here. I don't know about breakfast so I didn't track it yet.

@AustinRuadhain YES!!! It is the what-the-hell effect. I did track every bite yesterday. I'll do it today, too!

@TwistedSassette He is!!! Definitely! Oops, Happy 2ND birthday today to him! Yes, I am not the only one that is affected by the weather. I've heard plenty of people affected. Do track it and see if that's it. I hope you get more sleep tonight.

@TeresaW1020 Enforcer! LOL I can see it now. :) I'll have to check out that documentary, thanks for the recommendation. Good luck with your conquering!

@raleighgirl09 Yay for a good day! I love that type of writing. Do you think you will ever publish anything? I have the same problem with water and work. Good luck with the mock audit. I'm sure you will knock it out of the park!

@Katmary71 That is delightful lol! That's good you had good results with the tea. Do you have another source you can get it from so you don't have to deal with the flaky lady?

@GretchenReine I type everything out in Notepad as I read and then copy and paste my response in the window. It keeps me from losing things and I can respond to whomever I want! :) I'm glad your knee is feeling better. I wish you the best of luck with the ex and court. Is there a small step you can accomplish each day that you can build upon? I find that accomplishing even the smallest of steps (brushing my teeth, for example) helps my depression. If I accomplish that small step, I reach up for the next rung on the ladder/make another small goal. It may take a bit but I climb out of my depression that way. HUGS to you.

Hi all. I did track everything yesterday and have tracked my lunch today. I will track the rest, too.
  • TeresaW1020
    Options
    @raleighgirl09 HaHa, I totally relate to you “dressing to the nines” to see your old co-workers. I have this wedding in early February for my nephew and I’ve been a little obsessed with looking my best in front of my sister, but now I just found out that some old friends from my past life will also be at the wedding and sitting at our table. You can bet this girl is going to strive to look better than ever! :grin: Good luck with your today challenges. I like the idea of focusing on just one day at a time. I’ve got my eye on my challenges for today too. ;)

@GretchenReine I am so very sorry that you have had to deal with your ex-husband and his drama. I have family members in much the same boat and it’s beyond frustrating when you are trying to be the best parent for your child and her father is doing things that could be harmful. I pray that the situation will change for your sweet daughter. I didn’t realize you lived with your parents and are at the mercy of their poor food choices. That is a really tough situation. I know you want to go to the gym and that is great, but honestly, you won’t be able to exercise your way out of a bad diet. Although exercise will make you feel so much better and I'm a big fan of it. Have you considered doing intermittent fasting? If you could do that then eating the food your parents prepare might not be as damaging for you. I really recommend this easy to read this book, Delay, Don’t Deny There are several used copies that I saw. Intermittent fasting was a very foreign and scary thought for me when I first started but it truly has become life-changing for me. If it’s not for you then that is OK, but personally, I feel it can be a very useful tool for almost everyone.

@Katmary71 I love that snow lantern globe!! I’m hoping that your pain can start to lessen and that you can get some much-needed rest! <3

Good morning! I got up early only to find out that my staff meeting has been pushed to an hour later. So, here I am responding to a few of you and finding my heart hurting for your struggles and my hope soaring for your determination. This truly is a battle that we are all in and I’m so happy we have each other to lean on and to be real with. <3 I also need to be real! I woke up determined to get my act in gear and get back to losing weight! Having that party last Friday didn’t do me any favors because even before the party started my sugar addiction had taken over. I purposely bought candy and made cookies knowing it was because I wanted to eat them! After the party, I even hid candy so I could sneak eat it and no one would be the wiser. How awful is that and how many of us have done the same exact thing! :s Last night I lay in bed so angry at my lack of control in giving into my “fat girl” desires. I compared those feelings of disgust and frustration to the joy I have when I’m losing weight and feeling incredible. How can sugar be better than that! It’s NOT!! I had watched the documentary yesterday called "Fat Fiction" and every bit of it made so much sense to me. So, today is a new day and just like @raleighgirl09 said in her post, I’m going to focus on the challenge for today. I will fast and I will eat on my plan. I will go to bed tonight feeling proud of myself and that I did good for my body and soul. OK, I'm off to work! :)
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,574 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Check-in for Wednesday
    🟢Food on plan, weighed, logged
    🟢Calories in the green
    🟢Workout (50+ min) - yes - walk with husband plus platform stepping while he watched Great British Bakeoff Holiday special with me
    🟢Breathing exercises
    🟢Martial arts forms
    🟠FitRockr Up-a-Level Challenge Goal - I'm at 36% and 50% would be "on track."

Thursday Goals
    Food on plan, weighed, logged
    Calories in the green
    Workout (50+ min)
    Breathing exercises
    Martial arts forms
    FitRockr Up-a-Level Challenge Goal - 60% at end of day today

9wd9nuvnxt7w.jpg

@TeresaW1020
    Big hugs on the sugar splurge. I am glad you are past being unkind to yourself about it, and on to doing well today!
    As you say, one day at a time and the things we do today are a great place to focus. Let us know how you did on your plan for today! We are pulling for you! 👐

@trooworld
    ✔️ Woohoo! Congratulations on tracking everything yesterday! Let us know how today goes!

@raleighgirl09
    💪🏾 You go, girl! I love all that planning of your food and having your reasoning ready if anyone proposes spontaneous lunches out and such. And OH did your talk of picking The Right Outfit make me smile! And having tomorrow's outfit picked already! I have coworkers from a job I had a few years ago that I would love to have a reason to see, just in order to dress up and look so much better.
    So it sounds like any movement today and tomorrow will be a bonus, but that you are for sure not going to let that be a new pattern. So, hmm, getting in a walk on Saturday? Keep us posted!

@GretchenReine
    Your energy and commitment to your daughter are super impressive. Really.
    Knowing that you are there for her is surely making a difference for her. You can't make everything perfect for her, but the fact that you get up every day and do your best with it and keep showing up for her -- she'll be noticing that, too, I bet.
    I love @raleighgirl09 's question about is there one small thing you can do!
    As far as what you do right now - maybe just keep looking at how to make the best choices you can, given what's available? Try the intermittent fasting thing, if that's easy enough and a good fit for you. And if not, just look for places to do your best with what you have available, and remember to acknowledge yourself for the victory of making those little efforts.
    For me, getting exercise and getting outside time can be powerful antidepressants over time. So keep getting that exercise. Even outdoor walks every day. And if the gym is out of the budget right now, maybe look at bodyweight work (Google bodyweight workout plan, and there is a lot of info and many ideas -- stuff like this)
    Also, have you ever tried very simple meditation? It's free and something you can do without needing anything from anyone (in bed after you wake up or before you go to sleep). The kind of simple meditation where you note thoughts and note feelings as they arise, can be a very powerful way to create space between you and unhelpful thoughts. It might not be for you, but throwing it out there, just in case.
    https://www.drweil.com/blog/spontaneous-happiness/popular-meditation-misconceptions/
    https://www.headspace.com/blog/2015/02/05/whats-the-difference-between-noticing-thoughts-and-feelings-and-being-distracted-by-them/

@Katmary71
    That is a glorious snow globe/lantern! 🤩
    I am sorry about the pain, and glad you got it down to an 8 at least for a while. 👐

@raleighgirl09
    🙏 Thank you so much for sharing your thinking with us. It is super helpful.
    thank you for these thoughts - I'm trying to not feel a tinge sad about what I made bold. I remember you saying once that you always imagined it was going to be going on cruise, kind of auto pilot to maintain but were surprised to find it isn't like that at all. I think I have been fighting that reality - or unable to see it - or blind, deaf and dumb. Or all of that. Going to have to come to grips with it because the gain/lose method is wearisome.
    Hmm, maybe you can think of it as riding a bicycle. I think on a bicycle that we mostly go back and forth a little bit to keep our balance, but after a while, with practice, it gets easier to stay balanced.
    Or maybe also, think about housecleaning and repair. If we don't do the work to keep the house clean and in good repair, it falls apart. But if we watch and do just a little work, day to day, the amount of work to keep things in shape is less.
    Either of those thoughts help? Or ring a bell as to good way for you to think about it, for you?
    You are so smart. I know you'll find the way. I so appreciate the chance to talk about it here, and think about it for myself. :heart: :heart:

• SammyDee2015
    SammyDee2015 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Daily check in Thursday ✅
    100oz water ❌ (92)
    10K steps ❌ (8300)
    Doing pretty good all in all. Adjusting to being a full time house frau I think 🤞

Reading all the comments and insights about life at maintenance stage has me worried. It may be a long way off for me however I really did imagine it would be smooth sailing at that point.

The bright spot is that you all will be here for company 🤪😉
  • raleighgirl09
    Options
    Daily check in Thursday ✅
    100oz water ❌ (92)
    10K steps ❌ (8300)
    Doing pretty good all in all. Adjusting to being a full time house frau I think 🤞

Reading all the comments and insights about life at maintenance stage has me worried. It may be a long way off for me however I really did imagine it would be smooth sailing at that point.

The bright spot is that you all will be here for company 🤪😉

@SammyDee2015 I am conflicted, here. I want to say - all is well, Grasshopper - you will be fine, the curtain may be partially drawn, but you are not obscured. The reality is (and I say with some sadness and yet - also - some realness which it is not necessarily easier....but it is different). And from having started it several times, maintenance is a new phase but a new phase that you have to be willing to work toward, work for and work with in all its glory (and banality).

Don't be afraid. Be informed. @AustinRuadhain and @Katmary71, would you agree? I talk from the perspective of a newbie, a scardie......and one who has nearly zero experience. Willing to crane my head around the scary corner, though.

@SammyDee2015 a full-time house frau.......? Have I missed something....? I'm a bit jealous, can you shed light? I would love to be this! =>
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,082 Member
    Options
    Greetings Slimpossibles! It's almost the end of the year, so the other Moderators and I thought it would be interesting to survey everyone in F2F and hear what you think. It's a simple survey - 10 questions only - I hope you'll take a few minutes to answer. Thanks!

llrskl97e2z1.png

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NDQHF22

• GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    @TeresaW1020 I’ll have to take a look at that book. Unfortunately, IF won’t work for me. I’ve had gastric bypass and my body has certain nutrients I need to get in throughout the day and I can’t cram it all into a shorter period. It is physically impossible. I just need to work on better choices and serving sizes. Luckily, I think the knee has healed, I’ve had 3 days with no pain so I’m going to go back and get on the treadmill this afternoon after work. I’ll take it slow and go one day at a time. We’ll see how it goes!

@AustinRuadhain I haven’t tried meditating in a really long time. I have found that my self care has slipped tremendously during this past year. I hate to admit it…but my hair spends way more time up in a ponytail than it should! I’m constantly a hot mess and I go out in public like this. My entire focus for the last couple of years has been fighting my ex to get my daughter out of that situation. I think this weekend I’m going to spend more time focusing on me and my mindset. She needs to see a healthy, happy momma! Thank you so much for the blog. I’m definitely going to take a look at it.

@davidji82 Great job walking that much. I miss being able to do distances. Reading your post sparked something in me.

Happy Friday everyone! Today I plan to resume logging and creating my daily journal. I have my gym clothes with me so I’ll go there straight after work. It’s time to focus on getting me back! I hope everyone has a great day!
  • raleighgirl09
    Options
    raleighgirl09
    Friday check in

Got only a few minutes! Below is the check in stats from yesterday and I think today will be similar BUT I can get more water and do a better job keeping calories in check! Yesterday was over my 1240 by about 300, so that is significant. I did my brownbag at work which was fine but the cake and chips last night were not great choices.

Check in: yes
    Water: no
    Food logged (pre-logged?): no (no)
    Basic calorie goal: no
    10,000 steps: no

@Katmary71 I hope future visits from your hookup not only help keep you from the ER but also leave the gate intact! SHEESH!
    @TeresaW1020 I hope today is better.... =< The first signs of a bit of a backward slide is often very faint and innocuous.......hard to recognize and even harder when we turn the internal eyes off to better allow just doing what we want in the moment. It's hard - I hope you get a day under the belt to build upon.
    @trooworld awesome to hear the tracking success!
    @davidji82 great weigh in and walking, WEIGH to GO (away!)!!! =>
    @AustinRuadhain definitely a walk on Saturday!
  • TeresaW1020
    Options
    Username:TeresaW1020
    Weigh in week:  Week 2
    Weigh in day: Friday
    Previous Weight: 192.4
    Todays Weight: 194.2 :/
    Loss To Date: 70.3

This discussion has been closed.