Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    We are eating so many leftovers.

I made mujadara on Sunday (rice and lentils with fried onions and sour cream). Since I love this dish, I made double rice/lentils for leftovers. For some reason, I decided to try a new recipe where you cook both the rice and lentils together, instead of separately. This would probably be fine, except I didn't notice the recipe called for brown rice, and I used white. We are all aware that the have drastically different cooking times...sooo....unfortunately this means that I now have a massive container of lentils stuck inside super mushy, gooey, flavorless white rice. I'm working with it lol. Last night I used it as the base for a seared tuna bowl with veggies. I added some miso and garlic to it, and husband made a delicious unagi-type sauce to go on top, and we added a drizzle of a creamy Japanese hot sauce. Despite the lack of rice texture, it tasted pretty good lol.

Tonight I'm going to do some attempt at a dirty rice or rice and beans - something vaguely cajun. Some hot sausage and spices should work. Then I'm kind of out of ideas to salvage it. Unfortunately there is still so much left!! I absolutely hate wasting food, but I'm actually considering just composting the rest of it lol.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,106 Member
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    I had an all out prep day today and played with my new KitchenAid Stand Mixer and some of the attachments so for dinner we had Root Vegetable Pithivier (recommended by a friend's mum - for those who also hadn't heard of it, it's basically a dome shaped pie) to use up some of the Beetroots we received with a subscription veg order, so it had 2 layers of green lentils blended with goats cheese, a layer of roasted sweet potato and a layer of roasted beetroot.

and with the remaining beetroot I made a Jamie Oliver recipe for Chocolate & Beetroot Cake and had a slice with some greek yoghurt.

Also had my first attempt at making soft pretzels and made some brussell sprout and blue cheese soup.

That looks and sounds incredible. When's supper??

(I'm also going to need more information about that brussell sprout and blue cheese soup...that is taking broccoli cheese to another level!!)

I actually popped the details in another thread just yesterday:
    I was looking for sprouts recipes Friday, they're still in season so received some in my veggie box from farmers, I made Sprout and Blue Cheese soup (2 onions, 2 garlic cloves, 2 celery stalks and a large potato chopped and softened with butter or oil and add 60ml of water and drop heat down whilst you prep the sprouts, add around 600g Brussell Sprouts trimmed and halved with 1.5 litres of chicken stock, salt & pepper to taste and bring to the boil and then simmer for 15-20 mins, blend with 150g blue cheese and serve/store.

I find I have to blend mine a bit at a time as don't have a huge blender so I strain the stock off into a jug, and blend about a third of the veggies with a 3rd of the stock at a time.

I'm also planning to roast some with aubergines and courgettes (eggplant and zucchinis for the non-UK folk) this evening to go on the side of my steak. Athough I am tempted by making coleslaw now after reading this thread.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    You all are so creative...we are having pasta with a jar of sauce on it....maybe a salad!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    You all are so creative...we are having pasta with a jar of sauce on it....maybe a salad!

Tonight I'm reheating some veggie curry, so not that exciting today, it will be colourful though as gonna roast some aubergine and courgette on the side and have some broccoli too.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,665 Member
    Options
    ... for dinner we had Root Vegetable Pithivier (recommended by a friend's mum - for those who also hadn't heard of it, it's basically a dome shaped pie)

04atxda4lzi0.png

I've been dreaming of this dish!

Is this the recipe you based it on? I'm thinking I have to give this a whirl soon!

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/food/recipes/a25933799/vegan-vegetable-pie/

• eliezalot
    Options
    That makeshift jambalaya last night turned out delicious! I sliced up some hot sausage links, sauteed them with onion and tomato paste, added the mushy rice/lentil mix, and some cajun seasoning. Seasoned and cooked up some shrimp to go mine as well. I'd actually make it again - not bad for a made up leftover creation lol. Tonight husband is making broccoli cheddar soup. Warm and cheesy. I can't wait.
  • eliezalot
    Options
    ... for dinner we had Root Vegetable Pithivier (recommended by a friend's mum - for those who also hadn't heard of it, it's basically a dome shaped pie)

Is this the recipe you based it on? I'm thinking I have to give this a whirl soon!

That sounds incredible. I saved that link - maybe next weekend if I'm feeling fancy!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Lean ground beef patties,smashed baby white potatoes, and broccoli.....really imaginative!....trisquits and laughing cow cheese later and an apple!
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited January 2021
    Options

04atxda4lzi0.png

More or less the structure of it yeah. My friends mum sent me the pic but basically told me to chop up some sweet potato and beetroot roast it for 30 mins and then mix some green lentils with grated cheese and layer it. I opted to use up some goats cheese I had in the fridge instead. I looked the recipe up after, kinda glad she gave me the simplified version.

I had a leftover piece from it cold with some coleslaw made with some of the leftover brussel sprouts and the inner leaves of a January King cabbage (outer leaves are pretty colours so left them for OH to make stuffed cabbage rolls with) and a wee crumble of blue cheese on it.
  • emmyjaykay
    emmyjaykay Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    @tinkerbellang83 @eliezalot If you're looking for another rec in the land of veg pithivier, I wholeheartedly recommend Erin McDowell's recipe on Food52. It's so good. I used up a couple of my garden squash making it!
  • eliezalot
    Options
    @emmyjaykay ooh that also looks delicious. Thanks for sharing it...I think I'll be trying that in the coming weeks!

I get a weekly veggie box (of rescued food that was too big, small, ugly, over-produced, etc...). I've done it for years and enjoy it. I have some foods on my "never list". For ages, I had lettuce on there, until I got frustrated I never got any arugula or spinach, so I just recently took it off. Cue them sending me 2 giant heads of romaine. I hate romaine. Not as much as iceburg, but I really just don't love lettuces. I had to figure out what to do with it, did some xploring, and found this: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017536-grilled-romaine

So tonight is a grilled romaine caesar salad with homemade dressing, grilled balsamic chicken breasts, and I'm turning the rest of the bad rice into a fake cheesy roasted tomato risotto. At least the chicken is guaranteed to be edible, so we probably won't have to pull out a frozen pizza when the rest goes terribly wrong lol!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I do my menus five weeks at a time, cause I'm autistic and that comforts me to have order. It also makes making the shopping list easier. Our lunches repeat weekly, our dinners on a five week cycle. We have a lot of food intolerances and have to eat higher-protein, and Boyfriend can't do soups or pasta very well, since he had weight loss surgery several years ago.

So Wednesdays I spend the day putting the fridge and the freezers in order, and making the shopping list for Thursday's shop.

Next week is as follows:
    Monday: Lunch: Chicken, jalapeno, and cheese quesadillas. Dinner: Prime rib roast (left from Xmas) with mashed cauliflower (them) or wild rice pilaf (me) and brussel sprouts tossed in bacon drippings with cracked black pepper.

Tuesday: Lunch: Italian Hot Beef sandwiches on toast. Dinner: Orange Chicken, broccoli, white rice/cauliflower rice.

Wednesday: Lunch: Hamburgers and chips. Dinner: Shrimp scampi, wild rice pilaf, pan-seared asparagus, garlic toast.

Thursday: Lunch: Pulled pork with BBQ sauce on bun or in a wrap, chips. Dinner: (girls) Farfalle Florentine alla Pollo, garlic toast. (him) Grilled chicken chunks tossed in alfredo sauce on pan-seared zucchini chunks, garlic toast.

Friday: Lunch: Deli meat sandwiches to order, chips, pickles. Dinner: Carnitas with pico de gallo and lime in tortillas, Mexican rice and refried beans.

Saturday: Lunch: Chicken fingers, choice of dipping sauces, chips. Dinner: Chicken tikka with masala rice, saag, beef samosas, naan, and kheer. (Most of this leftover from my birthday dinner in December.)

Sunday: Walking beef burritos to order, chips. (Walking ones you can pick up in your hand; no sauce, all toppings inside.) Dinner: Breakfast For dinner. He and I will share an omelet with tater tots and English muffins; Girlfriend will have waffles with maple-peanut butter syrup and sausages.

I don't work outside the home and do most of my own cooking from scratch. I do share recipes.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Alexandra you are so organized!...I get home from the store and I am always forgetting something or decide I want something I didn’t buy!...my husband likes very simple meat and potato type meals....we eat a lot of tossed salads and neither of us has food allergies...John will eat almost anything!
  • eliezalot
    Options
    So true - I wish I had a fraction of that ability to be organized! I mean well. I start, I stay good for about 2 weeks, then it inevitably falls back into chaos. And @AlexandraFindsHerself1971, you sure eat well too. Every one of those meals sounds delicious. What is your favorite meal to cook and/or eat?
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    So true - I wish I had a fraction of that ability to be organized! I mean well. I start, I stay good for about 2 weeks, then it inevitably falls back into chaos. And @AlexandraFindsHerself1971, you sure eat well too. Every one of those meals sounds delicious. What is your favorite meal to cook and/or eat?

I do menus five weeks at a time, and at the end of the five weeks I adjust where I need to (we didn't like something, or we like it but it's a little much to do on that particular day of the week, stuff like that) and more or less reuse the same five week menu for the next five weeks.

I have several favorite meals. I really am fond of beef stroganoff. And I like my homemade General Tso's much better than I ever have liked the restaurant version. The Monday lunch quesadilla and the Tuesday lunch hot beef on ciabatta buns are both amazingly good. I think the one that gets the most praise though is when I make enchiladas, because they love enchiladas and I make a good meat mixture to go in them. (I don't like red sauce so I don't eat enchiladas with them.)

Really, it's all really good and we all enjoy eating well, even if we aren't eating massive portions.

Tonight I had baked rotini with marinara sauce and mozzarella with some Italian-seasoned ground beef thrown in, Girlfriend had butternut squash-and-ricotta ravioli tossed in alfredo sauce with some chicken chunks and baked with mozzarella on top, and Boyfriend had pan-seared zucchini topped with alfredo and chicken chunks. Pasta used to be an easy dinner but now Girlfriend isn't eating red sauce, so I have to do more stuff. I like alfredo, but not every week. Plus red sauce is calorically cheaper than alfredo.

• conniewilkins56
    Options
    Tonight it’s cucumbers with ranch dressing,turkey kielbasa,Mexican corn,and roasted sweet and white potatoes.......snack will be an apple, popcorn and string cheese....eeezy peezy!
    Options
    I have to say it's very comforting to me to get ready to make dinner and know I really do have everything I need to do it. What I'm working on now is making sure that I do dishes every night. They may not get done tonight as I started TOM today and I really just want to sit here and maybe it won't hurt so much.

I probably should have some fudge to help matters. It might knock it down enough that I CAN do dishes. Cause it's nice to get up in the morning to a clean kitchen.

Part of the reason that I cook like this is that I enjoy eating, and my boyfriend and girlfriend enjoy eating, and it's perfectly possible for us to enjoy food even with the issues of food intolerances and post-surgery restrictions that we have. He can't have pasta any more, but he says given the flavor of pan-roasted zucchini with sauce on it, he doesn't miss it at all.
  • eliezalot
    Options
    I imagine with dietary restrictions it would be much harder for everyone to eat well, if not for the planning. Such a good system!

I am very prone to whims and go with a "what sounds good tonight?" attitude. I really enjoy the challenge of making something delicious with what I have laying around the kitchen on any given day. I love cooking more in-depth planned things as well, but tend to save those for the weekends when I have more time. I just so enjoy cooking and food, and I love hearing about what everyone does. So many different approaches to learn from, so many great results and ideas!

The grilled romaine turned out really well last night, and I love the Caesar dressing we made for it. The chicken was also super flavorful, it was a solid marinade. Tonight we had tacos with mom's home-canned taco meat, homemade hot sauce, and home smoked cheese. It took 10 minutes from the time we opened the jar to get it on the table. (And there's nothing like having mom-made food even though we live 1200 miles away!).

I ran across this recipe: https://www.feastingathome.com/broccoli-chicken-orzo-bake/ and can't get it out of my head, so that's what I'm cooking tomorrow night.

• gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I made instant pot meatloaf and fancy mashed potatoes. Amazing but took way longer to cook than I though it would. There were a lot of ingredients and steps. Still it was a win.

I can never pan my meals. The best I can do is make a list of the different options that we have and then pick day to day. Though most days if I pick something in the morning it usually changes by the time I get off work. I wish I was different but I’m not. Makes for a lot of trips to the store but it’s who I am.
    Options
    Chicken nuggets for lunch, so there's no prep to that, and lamb gyros for dinner. I need to get the gyro loaf and pita breads out of the freezer, so they'll be thawed by time to prep tonight.