Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    I had planned to make some Thai-Spiced chicken with some coconut rice this evening, but when I asked OH to take the bowl of defrosting chicken out of the fridge, he instead got more chicken out of the freezer 🙄 he can't even blame not listening properly for this one, it was a text grrr!

So I was left with 2 portions of half frozen chicken breasts which was no good to me for dinner. Luckily I had been for some frozen fruit for my morning smoothies (epic fail - nothing in the shop - cannot find frozen pineapple anywhere at the moment - BLOODY BREXIT!) I picked up a couple of freezer fillers for days I am working, so just had some southern fried chicken with some leftover mashed potato and salad.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I'm having black bean, barley and sweet potato soup for ??? lunch. Then eggs and asparagus for dinner. I love soup
    !!!!

Mmmm eggs and asparagus, I feel like that could be a week day lunch for me next week. Maybe with a little pancetta.
  • FitByFifty1970
    FitByFifty1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Last night was homemade Chinese/thai, stir fry of chicken and broccoli in a peanut sauce over rice. Tonight is an impossible "burger" on whole wheat buns with homemade oven fries.
  • FitByFifty1970
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I hated his toaster oven, the BF hated my 2 slice toaster. We got a new toaster that also is a regular and convection oven and an air fryer and it dehydrates too.

He loves kale chips, not my thing. But pre-made they cost $5 for just 2 ounces in a bag. Insane. We bought a 1 pound bag of cut and washed kale for $3 and he really liked my seasoning (touch of oil, lawry season salt and garlic powder). Ate it all in 1 day. Today I got .65 pounds of loose kale at $2/pound at it yielded 1.5 ounces of chips for him. It's 2 1/2 hours for each batch (had to run it twice to make it all).

I oven bake my fries on parchment (no turning needed!) similarly (soak the cut spuds, dry well, little oil, season, bake) but it's 45 minutes in the big oven. He loves them as do I, a baked potato with a little butter is the same calories as a cut potato with a little olive oil. I'll try them tonight in the little oven on the air fry setting.

We aren't vegetarians but we do enjoy a few meatless meals. I mentioned the Tastbite Indian food pouches already.. We buy Mornigstar brand buffalo "chicken" patties and I made one in the gadget and toasted some whole wheat bread and had an awesome sandwich. I like the patty overcooked (the texture is too off-putting for me otherwise) and the crunch on the bread works with some lettuce and a lot of Frank's hit sauce added and a slice of American cheese. Also make Gardein brand "meatballs" in the oven for pasta night, 2 ounces of Barilla protein plus angel hair or rotini, 1/2 cup marinara sauce, 2 meatballs, small side salad (I only use vinegar), and we split a can of wedding soup).

I have a banana (boy do I hate bananas) to ripen so I can dehydrate it for the boyfriend tomorrow. Also bought some green beans, figured I'd coat them in low sodium soy sauce and some garlic and dehydrate them too. I'm excited for that one!

I LOVE to bake and miss it a lot so making new snacks is my thing apparently.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    You all come up with amazing meals!....I don’t like asparagus , avocados or salmon!....I like hardly any “ breakfast “ foods....I rarely if ever eat eggs, bacon, sausage or pancakes!...I do not like any organ meats or wild game....I can live without pasta but I do not dislike it....I hate Alfredo sauce...I do not like pesto...I don’t like white rice or white bread....I don’t like curry or Indian foods or Chinese....I will eat some Japanese stir fry if I prepare it...I do not like surprises in my food!...I don’t really like ice cream but I don’t hate it....I just don’t care for ice cold treats....I won’t eat pudding or jello unless I have to!....I like shrimp and some fish, not many....I refuse to eat tilapia because it is a bottom feeder farm raised glorified gold fish!...I like tuna salad.....aren’t you happy I wasn’t your kid?
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,717 Member
    Options
    ...how is the sweet potato and black beans?

Amazing, and with sweet potatoes, some corn and lentils and other veggies in there, the consistency is thick - almost like chili - today more than when I made it yesterday. Very filling! And 10 servings in the freezer :smile:

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I like to cook and I don't work outside the home, and although I'm autistic I also have ADHD so I like to try new variations of things I know I like, and usually I like them. Our main problem is that my boyfriend and girlfriend grew up in California eating authentically hot Mexican dishes and Indian dishes, and I grew up in the Midwest with an autistic father, and so my heat tolerance in terms of capsicums is WAY way less than theirs. What they like is inedible to me.

I made samosas today, and when Boyfriend tried the filling he said, "Eh, about the third bite I can feel a tiny bit of warmth after I swallow," and I said, "Oh, then it's about right for me. If you want them hotter, you can use the mint chutney made with the serrano peppers to dip them in." And I'll use the non-capsicum tamarind chutney, thanks.

• tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Finally got my chicken 😊

I had run out of Thai seasoning so diced the chicken and used a dry rub from a local smokehouse restaurant that I got as a Christmas gift.

Also used up last of my beetroot from last fortnight's veggie box and some aubergine roasted them with a little drizzle of olive oil and some salt and had some local mozzarella on the side. Made enough chicken and veggies for 2 meals.

Tomorrow plan is to have leftover Potato Lasagne that is out defrosting with some garlic bread and the remaining roast beetroot. I'll have the rest of the chicken and aubergine in a salad for lunch.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    We had BBQ chicken tenders, yellow rice and green peas....snack tonight is peanut butter and rice cakes, string cheese and an apple!
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Reading all these was eye opening. Lol. I scarfed down a quick hot dog in between duties at my cubscout blue and gold party. Great for lower calories for the day not great for the super low calories for the day (I was at well under 1000). Can’t make that a habit but I was super busy and after I got home I crashed.
  • FitByFifty1970
    Options
    We like the impossible whopper so we recreated it at home, he cooked impossible patties in the frying pan with a little oil, bought whole wheat buns, with a slice of american cheese and ketchup it was about 550 calories, way less than Burger King, much faster than going there and back, and really tasted awesome. I mention I like the meat substitute over cooked so it has a better texture (I'm all about texture issues) but with the ketchup and cheese and lettuce and bun it was great.
    The other night he air broiled flounder. I am not a fish lover but it was very thin and he put panko breading on top, no butter and air broiled it. I added paprika and salt and it was really good.
    He figured out how to make moo shoo pork and uses just a tiny bit of oil. I found the shells in a chinese market freezer section, surprisingly high in calories though (80 each). Had that twice - SO good. We buy frozen egg rolls (140 calories) and have that along side it and a little rice though that's not really something I'd miss if we cut that out.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Turkey kielbasa, baked potatoes and green beans for dinner tonight....I might fix a salad with it....veggie chips for a snack later!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Just pulled some chili out of the freezer. With a side of sauteed spinach and turnip (both in the fridge needing to be eaten). I usually have a couple of scrambled eggs with the chili - but I'm trying to cut down the calories for a few days to see if I can jumpstart the weightloss a bit ... again ... seem to be really struggling to get the numbers down lately, despite eating well below MFPs maintenance +exercise calories almost every day. I figure I won't really miss the eggs and added a spoonful of sour cream to the fun of it instead!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I wouldn’t miss an egg if I never had one again!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Dinner tonight was burgers, baked potatoes and salad....was delicious!....snacks tonight are fiber one cookie, apple, and string cheese!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I was so happy to be part of the old school world today! A friend drove me to get an xray (me and my accident prone clutzyness fell and hurt my hip a couple of weeks back and it is just getting worse) - and we parked the car and noticed that a patio was open. It was the warmest day of the year - a real shot of spring before winter fights back and brings us a final storm or two.

After this past year of not going anywhere it was impossible to resist sitting on the patio, mask free!!!! and having a beer - though neither of us drink much. And then - what the heck - we decided that we may as well eat something too. So my ridiculously wonderful dinner was a cheese spinach dip and pita bread. Everything went out the window for a few hours. But at the end of the day the calories fit.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    So happy you had a care free day!...we all need those kind of days!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    So happy you had a care free day!...we all need those kind of days!

Thank you, Connie. I'm glad when I wrote last night I sounded carefree. To be honest, it was one of the worst days I've had in a long time. But I was blessed with having friends who bouyed me through. And who kept me from going down a thorny path. <3
  • FitByFifty1970
    edited March 2021
    Options
    We menu plan our week though it is fairly consistent.
    Sunday had been take out (Chinese or thai) but he makes a great peanut chicken broccoli and also moo shoo pork so we stopped ordering in (though we did get take out last week for the first time in months, split a pad thai).

Mon-Tues is more flexible depending what's in the house but we try to avoid repeat protein (eg chicken Sunday = not again Monday).

Wed is usually teriyaki salmon on a bed of greens or a panko crusted flounder air broiled. We weigh in on Thursday so keep it light the night before.

Thursday is italian- small side salad, split can of wedding soup, 2 oz dry pasta, jar marinara, and 2 "meat"balls (Gardein brand is good, mixed with the pasta it is very much like beef).

Fri has been indian, rice, and naan but this week we moved that up and will do a homemade impossible brand whopper again. That brand is the only one that works best, others taste like it is a substitute and turns me off. I like eating less beef but I want it to taste good and have the right texture. Fri is also a weed night for us to chill.

Sat is pizza and booze. Usually homemade but we sometimes pick it up. I make a small side salad.

If anyone wants to connect to see my diary feel free.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Tonight is penne pasta with grilled chicken, petite peas and Alfredo sauce....gooey cheese on top....salad and popcorn and apple later!