Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• rieraclaelin
    rieraclaelin Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what I'm making for dinner tonight. Husband and I got the second covid vaccine yesterday, and I've been stuck in bed all day with aches, pains, weakness and fever. Bleah. I've had to force myself to eat breakfast and lunch so I could take my meds, but I'm just really not feeling dinner. Might just settle for some dry toast or something... :P
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    We got our second vaccines last Friday....the sight of the injection was more sore than the first one but no other side effects...at least I have not grown a third eye or an extra ear!....feel better soon!

Our dinner tonight was fresh steamed green beans, corn on the cob, and tiny new potatoes!...no meat Monday!....I am going to try to do this every Monday!...snacks tonight are SunMaid raison bites,string cheese and an apple....Bon Apetite’
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,615 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I hope it is a good re-union! Covid makes things awkward... but a frittata sounds like something I should actually do over the next few days!

It was pretty wonderful. But he ended up arriving much earlier than he thought so there was no frittata - and the funnier thing is that he said he wouldn't have wanted to eat it anyway because he is kind of on a diet and is trying to eat mostly vegetables and low sodium! hah! So much from my crystal ball reading!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    We got our second vaccines last Friday....the sight of the injection was more sore than the first one but no other side effects...at least I have not grown a third eye or an extra ear!....feel better soon!

Our dinner tonight was fresh steamed green beans, corn on the cob, and tiny new potatoes!...no meat Monday!....I am going to try to do this every Monday!...snacks tonight are SunMaid raison bites,string cheese and an apple....Bon Apetite’

That dinner sounds so perfect and summery!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Tonight is homemade General Tso's pork with broccoli and rice for those of us who eat rice. Straightforward and pretty easy. I just have to remember to pull out a package of loin chops to thaw before I lie down. I'm still dealing with a lot of fatigue.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I am going to fix leftover baked potatoes diced and put in the air fryer, turkey kielbasa and peas with a salad....snack tonight is string cheese an apple and a few wheat thins!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I just discovered a container of black bean and zuchinni pasta sauce in my freezer - WOOHOO - I thought that was long gone! Tonight will be that with some shredded mozzarella on my "french style green bean pasta" .... and maybe even some veggie meatballs if I get to the grocery story. May as well live it up!
  • rieraclaelin
    rieraclaelin Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Lemon pepper salmon, spaghetti noodles with a homemade tomato/garlic/lemon/spinach sauce, and sprinkled with feta cheese, and asparagus for dinner here!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,609 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Freezer/fridge clean up soup! Yeah!

Expired frozen butternut squash, baby carrots about to get icky, Saturday's Costco rotisserie chicken breast, dried rosemary and dill from 2003 and 2009 respectively (cough cough), fresh green onions, garlic, baby potatoes, lemon pepper, black pepper, lemon+herb spice, recently bought condensed veggie stock, salty tap water... YUM :wink:

(rescue party needed? Let's hope I make it back to tell you!)

1987 Cal for the whole pot!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN4IDJibMv_ZIiE9YmghziBL4RDd5idEFEmRfgl83aKh7NvUnpVLEfx7WI-rk57Dg?key=QjVmV0V5bHBHVkV4M1ppaWpkekpIR09lU2dpWkxR
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    That soup sure sounds creative!
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2021
    Options
    That soup sure sounds creative!

Still alive 3.5 hours after consuming 672 Cal (1150 out of 3400g) of soup! :worried:
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Mmmmmmm.....tonight the menu is air fryer chicken drum sticks with spicy seasoning, fresh steamed cauliflower with Parmesan and cheddar cheese, steamed cinnamon carrots and sliced tomatoes!...snack tonight is an apple, string cheese and a few crackers!
    Options
    Tonight we had Chinese barbecued pork ribs, vegetable fried rice, and crab rangoons. It's a fair amount of work but it's also my partners' favorite meal, and I do like seeing them squeal with joy when they see the bag of pork in marinade on the counter thawing, and the oohs and aahs when it comes out, glazed and sliced, with hot mustard on the side.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Shared with dad who whines, cries, and complains when things don't taste "right", so I didn't "multiply" the omelet through the use of a carton of egg whites like I would at home.

I would normally use 2:1 egg white to egg (in my opinion an acceptable egg taste mix) and if calories are in short supply will even go to 3:1 (it does dilute the taste quite a bit)... but in this case I made do with 0:1... which made my 45% share a bit less filling than expected! :disappointed:

On the up side, it was looked pretty and didn't taste half bad!

duf3rofqirph.jpg

I use carton egg whites but find the acceptable ratio for me is 1:1 and my standard is 2 eggs and 2 whites or 3 eggs and 2 whites.

I tried 3 whites to 2 eggs and it was wlway to bland, just off to me.

Lunch today was 2 eggs and 1 white, 1oz of Cabot Light Cheddar, 2oz ham, 2 oz asparagus, 2 oz mushrooms, all scrambled together with 2g of non-stick spray.

Normally it would have been larger, but I am currently trying to rein it in after an extended period of slackness and have finally managed to get three days in a row on track.
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I use carton egg whites but find the acceptable ratio for me is 1:1 and my standard is 2 eggs and 2 whites or 3 eggs and 2 whites. I tried 3 whites to 2 eggs and it was wlway to bland, just off to me. Lunch today was 2 eggs and 1 white, 1oz of Cabot Light Cheddar, 2oz ham, 2 oz asparagus, 2 oz mushrooms, all scrambled together with 2g of non-stick spray.

Pffft, scientists with high standards I see wending their way into our chicken coup! :lol:

100g of whites to 50g of eggs is an almost princely mix. True... 150g egg whites to 50g eggs smacks of abject caloric poverty and is best reserved for attempts at large deficits or in combination with sharp tasting distractions (e.g. with a lot of sriracha, or with blue cheese in the mix! :hushed:
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Reporting that day two of "da soup" has been survived!

Da soup was nuked at 50% and was FURTHER improved by folding in a mixture of beaten egg and squeezed lemon juice!

Looking FORWARD to day THREE of DA SOUP tomorrow... but I only have 750g left! :cold_sweat:
    Options
    It's Thursday and so we're having pulled pork with sugar-free barbecue sauce in either a wrap or on a bun, with chips and pickle, for lunch. Dinner tonight is spaghetti with meatballs, seared zucchini chunks, and garlic toast. He will have his meatballs and red sauce on the zucchini instead of pasta.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    ... with sharp tasting distractions (e.g. with a lot of sriracha, or with blue cheese in the mix! :hushed:

I can't bear the taste of eggs - though they are such a powerhouse food - so a lot of sriracha is my go to every day and a dash of bbq sauce. Perhaps I should be looking at these egg whites in a carton!

• lauriekallis
    Options
    Okay - just looked up the egg white nutrition info. Wow. Going to be bringing home a carton of those today!