Share Your Day

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,596 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    What's with the salad? Bet it will be "juicy"!!!!🙈😹

What's a pickled watermelon rind? The rinds are what my previous dog used to eat... the current one is smarter and only goes for the centre! 😛👍
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,612 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    What's a pickled watermelon rind? The rinds are what my previous dog used to eat... the current one is smarter and only goes for the centre! 😛👍

Our pet guinea pig would only eat the rind - left all the pink behind!

• eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My internet went out for a bit around lunch, so i used it as a nice work break and spent an hour gardening. I got the rest of my peppers planted (I have somewhere between 30-40 plants), eggplants in the ground (just 3), and a few more tomatoes planted (8 so far, room for 3 more, then I have to start getting creative). Bit by bit it is coming together!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    What's with the salad? Bet it will be "juicy"!!!!🙈😹

It is a super foodz I tells ya! It will fix what ails!

It is basically what it sounds like. You peel the watermelon (easily the worst part of the process) and you pickle the rind. The recipe is akin to a sweet and sour pickle but to that you add ginger and red pepper flake or one of the probably hundreds of variations that exist by now.

This was my fist time doing a quick pickle and after 24 hours I am pleasantly surprised that the texture is pretty much there.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I am exploring the world of sandal wearing. I have never really thought much about it. I can't say that my feet are ever that warm/hot and they seldom develop an odor. However, there is a niceness to having the extra air flow. I am not ready to spend chaco, teva, or keen kind of money on them but I am checking out some midrange options.

This started with the purchase of a pressure washer earlier in the year (just before I started to feel really ill). I have a pair of "slides" but they are super old and perfectly flat so they provide no support. I am not going to use it for more than about 4 hours on any given day but still that is a long time to be in wet shoes if I wear anything else I currently own. I have a pair of waterproof hiking boots but they are not designed to prevent water from above. Not to mention they are the most expensive footwear I own and I want to reserve them for actual hiking as much as possible so I get many years of use from them.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,612 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I am exploring the world of sandal wearing. I have never really thought much about it. I can't say that my feet are ever that warm/hot and they seldom develop an odor. However, there is a niceness to having the extra air flow. I am not ready to spend chaco, teva, or keen kind of money on them but I am checking out some midrange options.

This started with the purchase of a pressure washer earlier in the year (just before I started to feel really ill). I have a pair of "slides" but they are super old and perfectly flat so they provide no support. I am not going to use it for more than about 4 hours on any given day but still that is a long time to be in wet shoes if I wear anything else I currently own. I have a pair of waterproof hiking boots but they are not designed to prevent water from above. Not to mention they are the most expensive footwear I own and I want to reserve them for actual hiking as much as possible so I get many years of use from them.

Birkenstock has some decent "beach" sandals - which are, I think, all plastic, but with Birkenstock support. So they are good for "wet" work. In the $50 range which isn't too bad for the great support.
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    There are decent foam molded Birkenstock knockoffs with good cushion & arch support for wet environments on Amazon, $15 range.

I do love my Keens though, Newport sandals, got them as overstocks at reduced cost. I would highly recommend for extended walking / moderate trail hiking. They also last a long time, had current pair almost 10 years. I prefer the Keen due to covered toes for going out in public, but had Tevas in past too that were great.

My sandals, actually all shoes, must have arch support & must be comfortable in my book.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I am trying out two pair currently. I have a pair of sketchers and a pair of camel crown. The sketchers are not going to work for wet work but I may keep them for casual wear. The camel crown are in the lead for pressure washing and fishing but I have a pair of crocs coming that are slightly more than the CCs but from the picture they do not appear to have any straps or surfaces that would absorb water. The CC's have straps that definitely will but I am not sure that is a huge deal.

I really do not have hiking in sandals as a consideration at the moment. If I did I would probably want to look at something more pricey and something with a closed toe. However, post hike is when I have used my slides the most and especially if more walking or hiking was to happen the next day.
  • eliezalot
    Options
    I love my Chacos. I have two pairs, each of which has lasted over 10 years. I love that when they eventually fall apart, you can send them back in to be re-soled or re-strapped (for $, but reasonable). When you are ready to make the plunge, highly recommend!

My husband has a pair of flip flops by Crocs that he really likes - actually a decent arch in them - I think they were in the $20 range.
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I was just wondering how much money we could save if we could talk to our future self's and find out what purchases work better and what were complete wastes of money. Without future knowledge though I pretty much have to take a reasonable stab at something and get "schooled". Once I graduate and I know what I like, what is most comfortable, and how often I use it then I can make better choices. Unfortunately there is no way I know of to get schooled other than to spend some money.

Footwear is tricky because both form and function are can be user specific. Function is most important but if I can buy something I like to see on my feet then, of course, I will.

I am finding that I am buying more specific occasion footwear now. My walking shoes don't do much for me when I need to stand for a longer period of time. Neither my standing or walking shoes are ideal for sitting or riding in a car for longer periods. I found a pair of cheap UA tennis shoes that I was not going to keep but when I put them on it was like putting on a pair of slippers. They were crazy comfortable and they slip on and off very easily. They are great for road trips or light duty like going out to eat but I would take bets at what mile of a hike they would absolutely fall apart. lol
  • PAV8888
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Some of my neighbors are grumbling about my latest de-landscaping project. I have removed two huge beds that framed either side of the driveway entrance. I mean huge. It took 4 trips with my large gorilla cart just to remove the rocks the lined it. Each bed had 4 small bushes, 1 large bush, about a dozen annuals and 6 perennials. There was also some little sculptures in it. Gone. All gone. Raked all the mulch off of it and seeded it for grass.

Why?

The person that installed it didn't do anything to the dirt. RED CLAY. There was also no landscaping fabric. To maintain this all summer I have to water every other day unless it rains and it 150 feet from the nearest faucet. The weeds are nonstop. Did I mention the red clay? All the effort that it takes to water and weed those beds and the flowers look PITIFUL all summer.

Any neighbor that wanted to help me maintain them could have had a say in whether I kept them.

They won't be too upset when I add the new landscaping feature I have planned starting in the fall. It won't be in that location, it will be somewhere I can tie on to the existing irrigation. It will also have the correct soil and landscaping fabric.

I am FREE of that train wreck. FREE!

So what maintenance free option gets to replace this? Asking for a friend?!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I don't have a good relationship with weed(s) 🤷🏻‍♂️😇
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I can’t grow any kind of plant….considering my grandparents were farmers and I still own a large working farm in Indiana, it looks like I could grow something!
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Posts: 3,106 Member
    Options
    I went to two separate grocery stores, came home, had lunch, moved the laundry over, and started two crockpots full of meat. Then I had a nap. Got up, made dinner, and cleaned it up, and now the meat is ready to pull, so I'll do that once it gets a little later and the world cools off a bit.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    eliezalot wrote: »
    I finally got the rest of my garden planted today! I have about 40 pepper plants and 20 tomatoes. I ran out of garden space, so had to expand some tomatoes to the side of the house. I have about 4 eggplants, 2 kinds of zucchini, some broccoli and cabbage, and some little gherkins. Only about 10 feet of green beans this year though...I ran out of space and I regret this (I like to grow enough to can). I have a few watermelon and cantaloupes in the ground too.

In the railing planters on the deck, I have a ton of herbs - cilantro, tarragon, oregano, parsley, (no sage - it died out this year), rosemary, thyme, garlic chives, chamomile, lemongrass. I also have several planted with lots of salad greens - mostly arugula, some spinach, mustard greens, and some other mixed greens. We've been starting to use the greens for salads and it is so nice!

Finally, my favorite, I have 4 full planters of different mints. Peppermint, apple mint, strawberry mint, lemon balm, and new this year, ginger mint! I love having fresh mint iced tea, so the more I can grow the better! I'd like to expand it a bit more next year too...

Oh, and the cats have an entire planter full of catnip. They are basically high all summer.

Wish I lived near you! I only have a balcony that I can use for container gardening. Your garden sounds epic!
  • eliezalot
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    eliezalot wrote: »
    I finally got the rest of my garden planted today! I have about 40 pepper plants and 20 tomatoes. I ran out of garden space, so had to expand some tomatoes to the side of the house. I have about 4 eggplants, 2 kinds of zucchini, some broccoli and cabbage, and some little gherkins. Only about 10 feet of green beans this year though...I ran out of space and I regret this (I like to grow enough to can). I have a few watermelon and cantaloupes in the ground too.

In the railing planters on the deck, I have a ton of herbs - cilantro, tarragon, oregano, parsley, (no sage - it died out this year), rosemary, thyme, garlic chives, chamomile, lemongrass. I also have several planted with lots of salad greens - mostly arugula, some spinach, mustard greens, and some other mixed greens. We've been starting to use the greens for salads and it is so nice!

Finally, my favorite, I have 4 full planters of different mints. Peppermint, apple mint, strawberry mint, lemon balm, and new this year, ginger mint! I love having fresh mint iced tea, so the more I can grow the better! I'd like to expand it a bit more next year too...

Oh, and the cats have an entire planter full of catnip. They are basically high all summer.

Wish I lived near you! I only have a balcony that I can use for container gardening. Your garden sounds epic!

I love container gardening! I've usually been less than successful at it though, because eventually it gets hot and I get lazy about watering. Actually, since I was stuck working from home last summer because pandemic, it was the first time I was able to keep my railing planters alive all summer because I was home to water twice a day! :lol:

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Sigh…all of my vegetables and fruits grow in the grocery store!…I envy people with green thumbs….I do not have a single house plant!