What are you reading

Options

Replies

• connierandel
    connierandel Posts: 1,697 Member
    Options
    I finished the KC Hart series and enjoyed it. I am currently reading THEN CAME YOU by Susan May Warren and Rachel D Russell. This is part of the newest series that she is co-authoring with debut authors. I am enjoying it. I love my libraries!
  • cmsienk
    cmsienk Posts: 18,302 Member
    Options
    I finished book 5 in the Marion Ueckermann series: A COURTSHIP FOR CLOVER. As I mentioned in an earlier post, there was a fair amount of drinking in this story, but I didn't mention it was the main male character who drank socially. It came out that he hadn't yet given his life over to God and later in the story - at a stressful time - he reached for the whiskey, but then thought no, he would rely on God instead. Pretty simplistic, but she got the point across.

I'm disheartened that there doesn't appear to be a book 6 or 7 in this series as I've searched and searched but can't find either of them.
  • Restfinder
    Restfinder Posts: 2,313 Member
    Options
    The book I'm reading by Allison Pittman, THE LADY IN RESIDENCE has drinking in it too. So far there hasn't been any kind of Christian reference in either parts of the story, but it's clean and I'm enjoying it.

I keep forgetting about my Hoopla books! Gotta listen to the audio one I put on there and then start reading the other two tonight.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Well, I decided to not read A CROSS TO KILL by Andrew Huff (suspense) at bedtime! I pulled up A MATCH OF WITS by Jen Turano (historical), instead. Her books are always funny and I thought it would be easier to fall asleep, afterwards! I finished the Andrew Huff book during the day today. It was pretty good, but I'm just not sure that I want that kind of "intense" for a while.

I finished OSLO OVERTURES by Marion Ueckermann (romance) - Part of the multi-author Passport to Romance series. I checked out the other one that she wrote, than I may pick up a few more.

Current:
    AFTER THE LEAVES FALL by Nicole Baart (family drama) re-read. It has been years since I read this one, and I found the other two on hoopla, so decided to start at the beginning of the series.
    RETYING THE KNOT by Liwen Y. Ho (mature romance)

• cmsienk
    Options
    I'm currently reading A VOW TO CHERISH by Deborah Raney. It's an excellent but heartbreaking story.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    I finished A VOW TO CHERISH. Got a little teary-eyed through several areas, but I couldn't put it down.
  • connierandel
    Options
    I loved that book! The next one in the series is really good...and not quite as teary. I don't watch movies very often, but I want to watch the movie made from A VowTo Cherish. I think it is available on prime, so.someday.
  • cmsienk
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Ooh thanks for that Connie! I just downloaded WITHIN THIS CIRCLE by Deborah Raney.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I am almost finished with HER SECRET SONG by Mary Conealy. Loved this series, although I would like to slap one of the men from one of the previous stories upside the head, he is annoying!

I finished a Shari Tapscott fantasy, KNIGHT FROM THE ASHES. She wrote this one with her husband and, honestly, it didn't live up to what I've come to expect from her. It just read kind of slow and I never felt connected to the story. The second one is coming out in Nov. and, I think, for the first time with her stories I am contemplating not paying for it and hoping it comes out in KU. We'll see.

I started THE COTTAGE ON GHOST LANE by Christy Barritt and am enjoying it. Hers always start out with excitment.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Finished:
    TORRENTS OF DESTRUCTION by Robin Caroll (suspense)
    SNARES OF DEATH by Robin Caroll (suspense) - Good series. I liked the second book best
    AFTER THE LEAVES FALL by Nicole Baart (family drama) re-read - Julia DeSmit series.
    SUMMER SNOW by Nicole Baart (family drama) - Julia DeSmit series
    BENEATH THE NIGHT TREE by Nicole Baart (family drama) - Julia DeSmit series. Pretty good, but need to read the whole series. The last two were much better than the first one.

Current:
    THE FIRST NOELLE by Delia Latham (Christmas) - Christmas in July and all of that!
    REGAINING MERCY: Elnora Island (Independence Islands Book 12) by Carolyn Miller KU - Just getting started on both of these.

• Restfinder
    Options
    I finished THE COTTAGE ON GHOST LANE. It was a very good story, although the writing wasn't as good as most of her other stories, not as smooth, but I really enjoyed the tale.

Read more in HER SECRET SONG as well. Almost done with it.
  • connierandel
    edited July 2021
    Options
    AARG!!! I checked out an ebook from hoopla instead of an audiobook. I went back and checked and it isn't available on hoopla on audio, so I am trying to get through it. You can do text-to-voice on hoopla with the fire, but it stops at the end of every chapter. I have done it before and it wasn't awful. This book (BEAUTY FROM ASHES by Alana Terry) is very good, but most chapters are only a page and a half or two pages, so it really isn't working well. It has 87 chapters! I have read more than I have listened, but I really want to get some stuff done....oh the pain of it all. :smiley: I checked out the 3n1 and don't know if I will be patient enough to get through all three books. We will see.

I am also listening to THE TREASURE BOX by Penelope Stokes (family drama). I haven't gotten far, but it is good. I need to pull it out and listen while doing house work, meals, etc. Oh well.

I enjoyed THE COTTAGE ON GHOST LANE and am looking forward to the next one. They are just a bit different. I enjoyed her newest cozy, too. I need to go back and pick up some from her back-list, but haven't gotten there, yet.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Has anyone thought about the August reading challenge? I am thinking about doing Robin Carroll. Most of her books are KU and that's a plus. Another possibility is Valerie Comer. Her books are more light and fun.

August: An author that has a last name that starts with the first letter of your first name. (If you have a hard time finding it, choose one that has a first name that starts with the same letter).
  • connierandel
    Options
    Finished:
    THE TREASURE BOX by Penelope Stokes (split time/speculative) - Well, this was a different book. I liked it, but it was nothing like I expected. It was a bit family drama, a bit split-time and a bit speculative fiction. All in all, very good, but it did take a little for me to really get into it. That was probably because I mainly listened a few minutes before bed, and didn't give it long enough in one time slot. Once I really got started on it, I couldn't put it down.
    BEAUTY FROM ASHES by Alana Terry (family drama) - That wasn't easy, but I read most of it instead of listening. Probably 3/4 of the book consisted of 1-2 page chapters, so listening didn't happen very often. Rather sad book, but compelling and with hope and redemption.

Current:
    BEFORE THE DAWN by Alana Terry (family drama) - going on with the 3n1, but this one isn't grabbing me as quickly. It is good, just not as compelling.
    THE CONFESSION by Robert Whitlow (legal) - just getting ready to start on it.

I may start on another ebook that I can just let read to me. I haven't decided exactly what it will be, but I don't want to be tied to actually reading during the day.

Kim - Have you read this series? I have heard that they are good and checked them out of hoopla, but I'm almost afraid to start on them. They just aren't my normal reads,
    Heirs of Neverland:
    Dust by Kara Swanson (Peter Pan)
    Shadow by Kara Swanson (Peter Pan)
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Connie, I thought about doing a Ronie Kendig book, one from either the Tox series or the Discarded Heroes series. I have both but haven't ever read them.

I give to Alana Terry's North Korea fund and I get a free book from her each month. I basically give the same as the cost of one of her books. I have a bunch by her that I haven't read yet. They come through Book Funnel.

I started re-reading a series by Shari Tapscott. I just couldn't find a new fantasy series that I could get into and was looking for something like that to read. This one is mild fantasy, mostly adventure. It's the Silver and Orchids series.

I worked on something else last night but was so tired I didn't really comprehend much! LOL!

Don't forget to get your monthly reading lists ready!
  • savvybshoes
    savvybshoes Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    With the baby I've been reading extreeeemely slowly lately. I'm currently doing a timely read of 1984 by George Orwell, but it's pretty rare for me to read fiction. I'm a nonfiction kind of gal. Also starting ONE NATION UNDER GOD by David Gibbs through my church and I'm about half way through the audiobook version of LIES MY DOCTOR TOLD ME by Ken Berry.
  • connierandel
    Options
    Boy - 1984 hits a little close to home, doesn't it? I guess I read it for the first time in the late 60's or early 70's and it seemed so impossible. It doesn't anymore.

I finished BEFORE THE DAWN by Alana Terry (family drama) and started BREATH OF HEAVEN by Alana Terry (family drama). I don't really like the implied endings of the books. I really would like them tied up in nice little packages. I will probably read the last one in the 3n1, but want something I can listen to during daytime hours and right before sleep.

I also finished MISTY MORNINGS by Jessie Gussman (Blueberry Beach Book 5). I realized that I hadn't read books 2 & 3, so I am now reading TOMORROW'S BLESSINGS by Jessie Gussman (Blueberry Beach #2).
  • Restfinder
    Options
    I started the second book in the Shari Tapscott series and read some more in HER SECRET SONG. I don't know why I am plodding through this one, but it isn't holding my attention like the first two books did.
  • cmsienk
    Options
    I finished A CHANGE OF FORTUNE by Jen Turano (very good) and WITHIN THIS CIRCLE by Deborah Raney (also very good).

I just downloaded NEARLY by Deborah Raney.
  • Restfinder
    Options
    Worked on the same stuff. I finished book 2 in the Shari Tapscott re-read and am moving on to book three. Still a good read. The second book had a couple of steamy kisses but never went beyond kissing and didn't get uncomfortable.