Downsizers - Team Chat SEPTEMBER 2021

Replies

• lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,478 Member
    Jpedno wrote: »
    Good morning from Santa Fe! We’ve got a high chance of rain today... fingers crossed... my garden loves it. I have an abundance of tomatoes just starting to ripen and my zinnias are blooming.

I’m headed to two doc appoints this morning. I do not have a plan for lunch so I am probably going to get takeout which can be a slippery slope for me. But tonight is spin class which at least gives me a little more wiggle room. I’ve been pleased with my exercise lately - my spin instructor said I’m looking more confident and strong on the bike. Yesterday I had to work late but still did my weight lifting routine at home before bed. Small successes.

Also I seem to be sleeping better! I fall asleep very easily but don’t stay asleep nor is my sleep very restful. I’ve started taking CBD oil before bed and it is really helping with staying asleep longer and waking feeling rested.

@Megan_smartiepants1970
    Steps 8/31 7,171

That’s interesting that cbd oil is helping your sleep. I went to the medical marijuana doctor for my back pain and pain from neuropathy. It didn’t help but maybe it might improve my sleep. I have a cbd oil spray so I am going to try it tonight. Great job on the exercise. When your instructor comments you know you are doing something right.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,933 Member
    Jpedno wrote: »
    Good morning from Santa Fe! We’ve got a high chance of rain today... fingers crossed... my garden loves it. I have an abundance of tomatoes just starting to ripen and my zinnias are blooming.

I’m headed to two doc appoints this morning. I do not have a plan for lunch so I am probably going to get takeout which can be a slippery slope for me. But tonight is spin class which at least gives me a little more wiggle room. I’ve been pleased with my exercise lately - my spin instructor said I’m looking more confident and strong on the bike. Yesterday I had to work late but still did my weight lifting routine at home before bed. Small successes.

Also I seem to be sleeping better! I fall asleep very easily but don’t stay asleep nor is my sleep very restful. I’ve started taking CBD oil before bed and it is really helping with staying asleep longer and waking feeling rested.

@Megan_smartiepants1970
    Steps 8/31 7,171

I am missing 8/30 I apologize if I missed it
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,933 Member
    Today was the 1st day back to walking in over 2 weeks ... felt great getting out there but I felt nauseous almost the entire time ... we walked for 141 minutes and 5.94 miles
  • Jpedno
    Jpedno Posts: 301 Member
    @Megan_smartiepants1970
    8/30 steps: 5,741
  • Shannonsto
    Shannonsto Posts: 450 Member
    Yikes! I’ve got to get way better at posting my steps! Probably too late, but here are the last several days...

8/28 13,166
    8/29 11,378
    8/30 10,788
    8/31 12,936

Been slacking off a bit lately, as I’ve been ill and can’t get to the gym.
  • rlaskey2
    rlaskey2 Posts: 461 Member
    Steps 13,610

First strength workout out since being home from vacation. Also got a neighborhood walk with my friend. Day flew by with kids in school. I went to test drive a new car, it’s time for an upgrade.

@lindamtuck2018 is it ok if I skip weigh in again this week and start next Wednesday?
  • Shannonsto
    Shannonsto Posts: 450 Member
    Let’s get to know each other!

1. Tell us a little about yourself?

I’m a single mother of 12 year old twin girls, one of whom has autism. I’m also a NICU nurse. My family and I love to travel, and my kids especially enjoy hiking and exploring in the mountains around us.

2. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start?

I started in 2012, but plateaued after losing about 50lbs. I got frustrated and gave up, regaining 30lbs of it over the next several years. I’ve told myself over and over that I need to lose weight. I wanted to be more active with my kids. My A1C was creeping up. I wanted to feel better.

3. What are your triggers and how can you avoid them?

Unfortunately for me, I crave both salty and sweet. As far as how to avoid them, I wish I knew. Some days it’s easier to say “no” than others.

4. Do you have a favourite diet you go by? ie keto, low carb

No, just moderation and trying to stay within my WW points. I’ve found if I refuse myself a food I like, I tend to end up binging. So I allow myself to occasionally indulge, just in smaller amounts. A half a donut instead of three donuts. 10 pretzels instead of the whole bag. Doing these things only every once in a while instead of every day.

5. What is your favourite way to workout?

I mostly do cardio, but I love lifting heavy and plan to start again this month. For now I’ve just been doing the machines in addition to cardio. I’m also considering Jillian Michaels’ 30 Day Shred.

6. What are some of your goals this month?
    7. What do you expect to gain from the team?

Accountability mostly, and support.
  • littleflutterby
    littleflutterby Posts: 432 Member
    Hi all! sorry for the late update and missing of steps- I had an important assignment due yesterday and everything else just blew outta my head!

littleflutterby
    Tuesdays
    PW- 294.8
    CW- 294.6

So the last couple of months have resulted in a total of about an 11lb gain which is driving me crazy. Having been completely stationary for 2 months because of my knee, and struggling to stay on top of my food plan. I was going to just enjoy an off-plan rest of August, and forgot that this week was the first week of September! haha.

But, at least a small loss compared to the previous week. I am back on it food-wise, and drinking my water! I'm also back to work 3 times a week! So burning off those calories for 24 hours + a week! I'm going to try and do some walking too now the weather is cooling down (because I'm not about that 40+ Celsius humidity!

8 weeks until I'm due to fly home to surprise my family (covid restrictions permitting) so I would still like to be under 280lb by then (it was originally a goal for 250 but that isn't happening haha) so definitely need to buck up my ideas!

Hope everyone is having a fabulous start to the month!
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,478 Member
    Today was the 1st day back to walking in over 2 weeks ... felt great getting out there but I felt nauseous almost the entire time ... we walked for 141 minutes and 5.94 miles

So much for starting slow. 😀 Awesome but not the nausea.

Shannonsto wrote: »
    Yikes! I’ve got to get way better at posting my steps! Probably too late, but here are the last several days...

8/28 13,166
    8/29 11,378
    8/30 10,788
    8/31 12,936

Been slacking off a bit lately, as I’ve been ill and can’t get to the gym.

Fantastic steps! Sorry you haven’t been feeling well. I really enjoyed reading your answers to the questions.
    rlaskey2 wrote: »
    Steps 13,610

First strength workout out since being home from vacation. Also got a neighborhood walk with my friend. Day flew by with kids in school. I went to test drive a new car, it’s time for an upgrade.

@lindamtuck2018 is it ok if I skip weigh in again this week and start next Wednesday?

I have you marked as excused. Great job on the workout.
  • THUNDER5453
    THUNDER5453 Posts: 23 Member
    Good Afternoon all
    It completely slipped my mind yesterday to check call it a SENIOR MOMENT. So here goes
    Tuesday
    ☑️ MFP FOOD LOGGING
    ☑️ 13K OR MORE STEPS ACTUAL STEPS 19K+
    ☑️ VARIED EXERCISES... STEEL CITY W/O AND COOKING AND PREPPING FOOD

WED.
    ☑️ MFP FOOD LOGGING
    ☑️ 13K OR MORE STEPS ACTUAL STEPS AS OF NOW 12,849
    ☑️ VARIED EXERCISES... STEEL CITY W/O AND COOKING AND PREPPING FOOD

Enjoy your evening check in with you tomorrow
    Greg
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Another good blood pressure day. The mornings are so much better now! Yippee! However weight went up to 138 lbs. Evidently prednisone causes water retention in addition to increasing your hunger signals, and encouraging fat depositions in the face, abdomen and between the shoulders. Ugh. It also thins your bones which am way too familiar with along with a few other side effects. Not to say that you can’t lose weight while taking it. I have been on it over 12 years and have been able to lose weight while on it. It requires sticking to your calorie limit, drinking lots of water, avoiding salty foods and taking calcium and sometimes potassium supplements along with exercise and your doctor monitoring your medicines.

Went to the movies today with my mother and sister. It was difficult for physical and emotional reasons. This was only the second time I went to a movie since Kevin died. We used to attend this theater almost every weekend. He would have enjoyed the movie and sitting in the balcony.

Hope everyone is enjoying the first day of fall and has great weather to get outside and enjoy the day.
  • Aqualang26
    Aqualang26 Posts: 149 Member
    jimboden3 wrote: »
    Aqualang26 wrote: »
    Hey folks.

So, I've been feeling burnt out with logging. I'm just tired of thinking about it, looking stuff up etc. Any advice on how to get over that?

Ditto the earlier comments from our fellow team members - logging food is a great tool for self awareness of your eating habits just like a tracker is helpful in letting you know how much activity you're doing but if you're eating healthy and applying moderation with the occasional treat, what's the harm in taking a break? No different from taking off your fitbit on vacation to avoid a tan line - it's not like the steps never happened, you're just not tracking them.

Take a week or two off and see how it impacts your other goals - if you're comfortable with the outcome, maybe you've 'graduated' and don't need to do it anymore. If you see your weight goals slipping away you can decide whether to restart again then.

If you're not ready to go 'cold turkey' you always have some other options:
    • I find breakfast pretty easy to log since I usually have a variation of a half dozen things (Fiber One cereal with fruit, plain Greek yogurt with fruit, egg with whole grain English muffin, omelet, or last night's leftovers) - it's when I get to dinner that it's a hassle so you could try just doing the easy meals.
    • Conversely, as long as you know your breakfasts typically fall within 'the norm', just lower you daily goal to subtract that meal (and maybe lunch) and just track dinners since that may be when you have the higher sodium or calorie rich foods.
    • If you have a goal to avoid sugar, chips, ice cream, maybe just track the treats instead of the meals and set your goal accordingly so you can keep tabs on how many per week 9or how much on a given day) - sort of a way to reinforce taking it easy on those since you have to log them.
    • If your trigger is food in between meals you could just track that - say limit yourself to 200 calories a day for 'sneak food', etc.
    • You could just take a week off after your next weigh in and then set a new goal that if you maintain your weight or lose weight then you get another week off from logging. Since water weight fluctuates so much, maybe give yourself a half pound allowance or as long as you're not up 2 weeks in a row then you can continue to not log (basically - make a competition or game of it).

Good luck and please let us know what you decide to do - and if it works for you. I don't plan to log food for the rest of my life (it's not a prison sentence right?!?) but I am planning to stick with it until I hit my goal and find a way to maintain my weight ... or maybe when I get tired of it and also need a break :)

Man, thanks a ton for this. It's super helpful - both the logic and the options. I think I'm definitely going to try one of these approaches, I'm just not sure which one yet. And just like that I went from feeling like I had only one all or nothing option to several great options.

I liked this comment so much I screenshotted it for easier access 🤣 Thanks again for taking the time and thought to write it out.

I'll update when I decide which I'm going to try, probably at my next weigh-in.
  • cormierannie
    cormierannie Posts: 4,388 Member
    My weight today is 172 pounds.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Another super busy day in Poosville. 😬💩

Forgot my phone at home on top of it.... Felt pretty disconnected today, specially from my Lovely Lynn. 😐😪

Also missed some of you on Instagram, and that's sad, cause your messages made me laugh. There was the Pain in the *kitten* without the pain in the *kitten* and... "THE DOG ATE MY F$@#IN LUNCH" Hahaha 😅😂🤣😁... (The accent just makes it better).

Um so yeah... Things are looking up. My foot pain has all but disappeared over the course of the day, my legs are feeling normalish(it's a word kay). And we just had a fantastic workout after work!!!! HELL YES!!!! 💪😆😀😋

So, I'll just really skim on the workout... But generally, it's improvements all round for both of us again.

70lb DB Chest press... Managed 9/8/8 reps so I'm just going to go ahead and try 75 next week. And I'm hoping I can squeeze out at least 6 in all 3 sets. But I may be pushing it a bit here. But I guess we will see. 🤞👍

Heck everything else was great, or moving up... No Shoulder pain, not even during Fly's. Every single exercise is now at the original desired rep counts... REHAB is officially 100% complete. Triceps seem to be making strong gains these last 2 weeks. 💪😆😎

Off topic...

I took a gamble and ordered a "Medicine Ball Rebounder Trampoline" from a shady site. The rebounder was a VALOR FITNESS RX-T2. On the site it was going for like 99 bucks... with exchange and all that stuff, it ended up costing 130 or so... For something that costs 225 USD and is out of stock in North America. So, I knew this was a gamble.

So, I received call from UPS yesterday that I had a customs charge of 17 dollars to pay on an Air Freight shipment from China, so I figured this must be the package, because I currently have no other packages on order (I've literally stopped buying s#it for the gym other than this). So paid it. Checking the tracking, it was currently in Osaka Japan, and scheduled to fly into Hamilton Air Port sometime next week. But surprise, UPS walks in and delivers a package today I wasn't even expecting Originating from the same city in China as the one I paid customs on. This package however had no customs charge.

The problem is... I have no idea what this thing actually is. It's about 4.5ft long metal post, that I'm 99% sure isn't part of the thing I ordered but it may well be piece of something "Fitness" lol. And It's a completely different tracking number, so I still have that other package coming, and now who knows how many other packages? The weight of the package that is still on route is only 6.9KG and the weight of the thing I want should be about 23KG.. SO, I'm certain that it won't be what I ordered either.

So, what the heck is going on? You think if a company was going to rip me off for 130 bucks, they wouldn't actually ship anything at all.. Not just ship me random stuff?

And further more... That was a large piece of crap... And this stuff is flying Express from China? Like doesn't that cost lots of money in the middle of a global trade shipping crisis? How can multiple packages of something be coming to me at what seems a reasonable cost? (Well would be more reasonable if it was what I wanted lol) for 130 bucks.

This is just weird! 😜

Anyway... Why get a medicine ball rebounder. I encourage you to look it up on YouTube. Specifically, "20 great Rebounder Trampoline exercises with a Slamball & Medicine ball"... Cause I think it will be something I would really enjoy, that offers an intense form of cardio/core and general fitness training. Winter is coming, and it doesn't hurt to have another option. Unfortunately, I'll probably have to pony up more money and get one from a reputable site. (Should have known better Darn it. 🤦‍♂️😁😆)

Nuf... Sweet Dreams Everyone! 🤗🥰🤗😀😋

PS Fitbit says my resting heart rate is now 67. New Record. 🤓😆

PSS forgot to stop the clock on the weight training by about 30 minutes. 🤦

2nu1v07ye6hm.png

• rwood566
    rwood566 Posts: 987 Member
    edited September 2021
    Good evening everyone. How was this hump day?

Check in for 9/1:
    Steps - 5386 plus 22 minutes recumbent bike moderate level.
    Calories - about 1650. I have to start writing it down. It's looking like I am pretty consistant calorie wise. Maybe this will be a good maintenance level? Something to ask my weight doc.
    Exercise - gym this morning. 7 machines and recumbent bike. People kept jumping on the machines I wanted. one lady just sat on one and chatted on her phone.
    Weight loss for august - 11.6 lbs. Even had a 1.2 lb raise today. Still going strong which is surprising. Thought it would have started slowing.

Welcome @RTC300

@Poobah1972 good luck figuring that out. Hope it doesn't cost you any more.
  • RTC300
    RTC300 Posts: 53 Member
    So I am a latecomer to this group very last minute, but I am dedicated to working with this group and winning some challenges.

username- rtc300
    WEIGH-IN DAY - Monday
    YOUR CURRENT WEIGHT - 375
    So far had a great day to start the month off right. Good eating under goal did 5000 fast steps and 30 Walls, so not bad, but this can be done with more.

• Abi2131
    Abi2131 Posts: 14 Member
    ✅Track food and 1350 calories
    ✅Steps 5000
    ✅2L water
    ✅Breathing exercise for 20 mins
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    edited September 2021
    8/31:

Steps: 7957
    Floors: 10
    Calories Burned: 491
    Daily Intensity Minutes: 110.
    Total Intensity Minutes: 110/150

9/1:

Steps: 8235
    Floors: 21
    Calories Burned: 335
    Daily Intensity Minutes: 73
    Total Intensity Minutes: 183/150
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    edited September 2021
    1. Tell us a little about yourself?
    My name is Lee. I was born, raised, and live in Alaska. I have been very happily married for 30 years. I got married young! I LOVE to travel and have seen a lot of the world. In fact, I took my first solo trip at 14. Ok... it was a short ferry ride, and my mom dropped me off and picked me up. I had to call her on a pay phone while I was waiting for the return ferry trip. There is nothing in life more important to me than my husband, my family, being grateful, and travel.

2. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start?
    I have an amazing life, and I work hard. On, 9/1/20, I decided I wanted more... HBP, Diabetes, and Heart Disease run in my family. I don't have those health issues. However, it is just a matter of time. I realized that if I didn't change, really change, what the future could possibly hold, from a health perspective. The driving force for me was wanting more. Exactly what I mean by that is I want the years ahead to be the best of my life. This was and is, a very conscious decision. Forgive me if this isn't as clear as I think.

3. What are your triggers and how can you avoid them?
    This question gives me a moments pause. I guess triggers would be getting too comfortable and in a rut. Or, say, going to many days without exercise, or having too many treats. I avoid them by focusing on what I want my future to be. It absolutely does not preclude living in the moment. Sort of making sure I keep my "eye on the ultimate prize" sort of thing. Does this always work? No; but, it is quite motivating. Also, I find that if I focus on balance, it is much, much easier to take things in stride and move forward toward the things I want to accomplish.

4. Do you have a favorite diet you go by? I.e. keto, low carb...
    Not really. I do thoroughly love recording food in my diary and counting calories. I'm detail oriented, so there's that, lol. I have done WW in the past. It will be my go to when I travel and don't have nutritional information available. And/or I'm not able to cook for myself. It's fluid...😉

5. What is your favorite way to workout?
    I would have to say aerobic has been what I have been focusing on since last September. We have pretty much turned our basement into a gym. Um, RowErg, SkiErg, treadmill, elliptical, road bikes, Peloton... Suffice to say, Hubs put a moratorium on buying any more!

6. What are some of your goals this month?
    I am focusing more on exercise and toning, as I am comfortably within the normal weight range for my height and build. 5'6" and a small frame. I am not at goal. I am maybe, 12 or so lbs. away. This will most likely be a range for me, as I'm not set on a final number.

7. What do you expect to gain from the team?
    There is so much inspiration here. There is a lot of support. I want to make sure I make the time to give as much support as I get. Be well everyone. Lee😊
This discussion has been closed.