Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,660 Member
    Options
    Good to read, PAV. Don't want you hobbling through mudslides and overturned trees.

To be honest, I had lost track of where exactly you were at...and where parental unit is at...and I kind of stirred them all up in my mind into a revolving "out west" location. Hopefully Mother Nature takes her tantrum further west, rather than east.
  • TheKookyKiwi
    TheKookyKiwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Now I want all the cheeses! I could not be trusted in the vicinity of that much deliciousness.

Kiwi - whatever happened to Annabelle Langbein? We used to get her cooking shows on our PBS station several years ago. Love the orange lightning cake. Dump it all in the blender and good to go! Can’t find her cookbooks locally although maybe on Amazon.

That is why I'm not making any cheeses at the moment LOL - they were "definitely" a source of over indulgence! Nice to make some in spring and have for share plates during summer when entertaining - or give as gifts - but haven't had time so far this season.

I saw Annabel on TV just the other night as it happens! She's a few hours south of me and has just written a book. Here's her FB!

https://www.facebook.com/AnnabelLangbein

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,721 Member
    Options
    500 Cal: 285g of tiny frozen baby peas in 202g of (lower fat) butter chicken sauce with 20g fresh onions and 151g baby tomatoes and extra chili peppers... all NUKED TO PURRfection!!!!

Dad made himself a mixed baby leaf salad, two eggs, prosciutto, tomatoes, fresh onions, and cheddar cheese plus "a little bit" of olive oil and vinegar and a couple of slices of Wasa. I'm taking the OVER option when it comes to betting whether he is below or above 500 Cal for the salad! :wink:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    What did you put ll the perfection on????
  • PAV8888
    Options
    What did you put ll the perfection on????

The bowl and soup spoon I ate it out off?!?! :lol:
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    Dad was way over. Two eggs and a few or more Wasa account for 250 calories. The cheese, oil, and prosciutto takes it waaaaaay over 500. There’s that myth out there that if it’s on a bed of lettuce it must be low cal.
  • TheKookyKiwi
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Dinner tonight - Homemade pizzas!

Have just finished building my recipe in MFP as follows:

Italian Herb Wrap Base (Half the calories and healthier than pizza bases plus makes nice crispy base)
    Pizza Sauce (Tomato & Herbs)
    Ham (Shaved)
    Salami (We just had some made - collected today so naturally have to incorporate it in tonights dinner!)
    Mushrooms (Buttons)
    Spinach
    Cheese (Edam)

1 WHOLE pizza is 2500 Kilojoules (Approx 625KCals).

@Yoolypr The opposite to your lettuce myth is the "if it's pizza it must be unhealthy" myth. Above recipe suggests pizza gets a worse rep than it needs to :wink:
  • PAV8888
    Options
    We had rib steak from Costco yesterday with Brussel sprouts and carrots and boiled/finished on the grill pan fingering potatoes for dad and the frozen veggie fries and more sprouts/carrots for me.

Tossed the sprout/carrots in 6g butter and managed to coat (very thinly) all 900g (raw) of the mixed veg with sufficient tossing😹 Dijon mustard with the steak and it is not zero cal in quantity by the way!

It was a lot of food in quantity and a lot of cal (mine came in just over 1000) but it had way more staying power than a lot of other meals and I was easily good for 6 to 8 hours without munchies or candy seeking!

This bulletin board re-design... has sucked something out of this 😿 🥺
  • TheKookyKiwi
    Options
    Last Night's Pizza Dinner..

Gotta agree with you PAV .. this new message board layout and functionality is not user friendly at all. I've given up doing anything community based on my Android app - only ever posting when on the web version :neutral:

lq09ohkmvc3d.jpg

• PAV8888
    Options
    NICE 'zza! The android app community is now connected again. i.e. not blank page...
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Weird "menu" today. High protein through!

175g cooked shrimp with 65g cocktail sauce (one of the thaw and serve shrimp coctail rings).

Run into a "red lentil and chickpea" orzo made out of the respective flours... and nothing else! Cooked it in knorr mushroom bullion. Served my portion mixed into riced cauliflower. Then added parmesan petals and the universal equalizer (logged sriracha but actually used garlic chili sauce)

That said... it was actually better than acceptable and I am thinking I will be acquiring more boxes of the stuff! Laurie: PC Blue Menu Red Lentil and Chickpea Orzo (boil 11 to 13 minutes for al-dente....)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Weird "menu" today. High protein through!

175g cooked shrimp with 65g cocktail sauce (one of the thaw and serve shrimp coctail rings).

Run into a "red lentil and chickpea" orzo made out of the respective flours... and nothing else! Cooked it in knorr mushroom bullion. Served my portion mixed into riced cauliflower. Then added parmesan petals and the universal equalizer (logged sriracha but actually used garlic chili sauce)

That said... it was actually better than acceptable and I am thinking I will be acquiring more boxes of the stuff! Laurie: PC Blue Menu Red Lentil and Chickpea Orzo (boil 11 to 13 minutes for al-dente....)

Wow = going to hunt that down tomorrow. I've been failing miserably today.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Last of the turkey leftovers today. Sooo done with Thanksgiving. I may opt for some frozen shrimp and let the guys finish the bird.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 4,011 Member
    Options
    Special dinner tonight.

Tomato and garlic bruschetta followed by pasta al forno. Cheeky little Pecorino vino to wash it all down. Not sure about dessert...may be good and just have coffee.

Candles lit for donor and family.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I'm glad we kept a good moment of silence in honor of Bella's emotionally laden dinner!

In a more pedestrian everyday world, a couple of days back we got some sea bream (tsipoura) from Costco. Grilled it in the oven with some fennel, lemon, lemon pepper, tiny bit of olive oil (like literally less than 2 grams) and served it with boiled baby potatoes and carrots. Then yesterday we warmed up the third fish (they were just over a lb each including heads and tails and all that), and made some tilapia in parchment paper pretty much seasoned the same way. It wasn't terrible actually though I am considering adding something to the mix. Still thinking on what and how! Also did a bag of ready to eat "veggie fries" with the fish, warmed up the leftover boiled potatoes in the oven, and boiled some more carrots!

Today was different though! A mix of cauliflower rice with brown rice (200g and 100g in my case), surrounded by baby brussels sprouts (300g), and served with.... (ready made and warmed up in the oven) Korean Kalbi beef short ribs!

Holy *kittens* are beef short ribs NOT a great caloric bargain! And quite hard to quantify in terms of calories eaten what between so much depending on how much of the (excessive) fat gets eaten and on how much sauce ends up on your plate! Don't get me wrong. They WERE tasty and I AM full... but the 500g package was like 1500 Cal. And even though we shared it I am quite certain that either one of us would have had no issue gulping the whole thing down in one go!!!!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I’m coming to your house for dinner. 😋 Impressed with the fish and parchment thing!
    Hubby spent a year in Korea. Food was excellent. However in most Asian countries meat is the SIDE dish or flavoring agent. Veggies and rice are the main meal. Hubby said most Koreans were rather horrified by the quantities of meat eaten at one sitting by Westerners.
    We’re having enchiladas made with low carb tortillas, no fat refried beans, cheese and peppers. I’d rather have the tilapia at PAV’s house.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Wow PAV you are boosting your cooking game! Soon you will have your own channel on the food network!

My experience with Asian friends is similar - North American meating eating is a bit extreme - I think we have a bit of a reputation for that.

Bella's dinner was deserving of a moment of silence. <3

I have no idea...past few days have been birthday and "cocktail" :) parties. My gimpy self, so tired of frozen meals (though they are great to have), took full advantage of being fed.
  • PAV8888
    edited December 2021
    Options
    The parchment paper tilapia was fairly... pedestrian / standard.

The more "exciting" one, thus deemed photo worthy, was the sea bream extravaganza! Admittedly... clean up was "interesting" :lol:

"spoiler" picture of aquacultured whole grilled sea-bream may not be suitable for everyone! Dad "prepared' the fish so he didn't score it, which would have made it even better, but it really was still quite good.
    hpkk9v7ycavg.jpg
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Today's dinner was actually a (relatively) much better caloric value.

A 700 Cal frozen lemon garlic shrimp and scallop (with broccoli and onions) linguini kit. Thaw in hot water and prepare it all in one skillet!

Not bad at all... once I added another 250g of shrimp and 10g fresh garlic and 150g of carrots and green beans and less than 2g oil 😹

With some parmesan and lemon pepper each portion ended up being just under 550 Cal for a full plate of good yummies.
  • PAV8888
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Haven't added things up yet (which is most certainly NOT the way to go); but today was mixed greens, tomatoes, pickles (onion, pepperoncini, dill), (partially blanched) red onion, boiled potatoes, grim turkey peperoni and mozzarella stock packages (cut up), turkey cold cuts, and parmesan petals salad day. With "blue menu"=low cal zesty italian dressing and a squeeze of lime! The weather was really nice (+6C / 43F and sunny) so I even snuck in a good walk!

Had a quick look at what it all added up to... and can confirm once again that a salad does NOT equal a caloric bargain. Especially if you washed it down with an extra 150 Cal of pita chips and snuck in a 100 Cal of cheese while preparing.

In all any of my dinners the past few days except the ribs was probably less calories in a single go! Thankfully I had the room today!

I am also a bit confused. I thought I had posted my egg curry yesterday?!?!? Pouch of egg curry sauce (450 Cal) plus 6 eggs (475 Cal) plus pouch of rice (300 Cal) plus cauliflower rice from frozen (90 Cal) = two fed quite comfortably at less than 660 Cal each.