Downsizers Team Chat JANUARY 2022

Options
jugar
jugar Posts: 10,041 Member
edited January 2022 in Social Groups
8emhn01ziukq.png

Here is your Team chat room for January 2022. This is where you weigh in every week, post your goals and progress, discuss any issues or topics of interest, share ideas, support your teammates, receive help when you need it, and dream big. Try to post often, and help each other succeed!

We have five great teams. The group and team leaders are as follows:

Our Moderators:
Liselyn - @jugar
Megan - @Megan_smartiepants1970
Ashley - @minstrelofsarcasm
Jessica - @jessicakrall8

Our Team Captains:
Downsizers - @lindamtuck2018 and @Megan_smartiepants1970
Mission Slimpossibles - @broncobuddee and @TeresaW1020
Weight No More - @minstrelofsarcasm and @melaniedscott
WaistAways - @jugar and @ashleycarole86
Shape Shifters - @jessicakrall8 and @TheMrWobbly

Our Team Motivators:
Downsizers - open
Mission Slimpossibles - @katmary71 and @trooworld
Weight No More - @rachelrjh
WaistAways - @conleywoods
Shape Shifters - @angmarie28 and open

HOW IT ALL WORKS:
Every challenger weighs in on their chosen day, every week without fail! At the end of each week, the tallies are done to determine the team and individuals with the most weight lost. The best losers are announced with full fanfare every Sunday. The team competition is all in good spirits - may the most losing win!

We also celebrate those small, steady losses. If you lose, however small an amount, you are in the green! At the end of the month, we celebrate everyone who lost at least a bit every week. You are heading steadily towards your goal even if you aren't at the top of the weight loss leaderboard!

To make your weigh-in easy to find for your team Captains, please put it right at the top of a message, and use this format:
Username:
Weigh In Day:
PW (Previous Weight):
CW (Current Weight):

If you miss two weigh-ins in a row without asking for a break, you will be dropped from the team, so be sure to inform your team captain if you are traveling, sick, or just need some time off. If you take a break, you can be excused for a week or two, or are moved to the Support Team for longer. You can remain on the Support Team for as long as you need to. You still participate in the discussions, you can weigh in if you want to, but it will not count in the weekly tally.

Once you reach your goal weight, you join the Goal Zone! You continue to weigh in every week. If you have 2 weeks above your self-defined goal zone, you go back to the regular team to lose that amount before it builds up. You will have a chance to hone those maintenance skills and stick with your team!

In addition to your own team, there are weekly F2F Full Group CHALLENGES. You can do all or none - it's up to you. Participating adds a lot to your success, so we hope to see you there often! These can involve anything fitness, health, or nutrition - and they’ll get you moving, thinking, and learning about this journey. Check the Announcements section for full group challenges.

Let’s show our fellow challengers some F2F love! Introduce yourselves right away, and let the new month and year begin!!

Replies

• lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,485 Member
    Options
    Let’s get to know each other!

1. Tell us a little about yourself?
    2. Why are you on this journey? What pushed you to start?
    3. What are your triggers and how can you avoid them?
    4. Do you have a favourite diet you go by? ie keto, low carb
    5. What is your favourite way to workout?
    6. What are some of your goals this month? Year?
    7. What do you expect to gain from the team? Do you have any suggestions?
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Housekeeping

Weigh In
    I will post a weigh in reminder every day. Please use the following format for reporting your weight as it makes it much easier for us to find. Let me know if you need to change your weigh in day or have to miss a week.

Username
    PW (Previous Weight):
    CW (Current Weight):

Daily Check In
    You can do this in any format you want. Things you may want to report could include calories, exercise, water intake, goals or anything you want to share. Share your successes with the team, any struggles or questions you may have.

Step Challenge
    Megan takes care of the step challenge. She will make a post with everything you need to know.

Other Resources
    On the main page of our group you will find many resources. This is where you will find the weekly challenges and the habit tracker.

Team Motivator
    We are looking for two team motivators. If you think you maybe interested or want more information please let us know.

Here’s to a great year!

• lindamtuck2018
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Let’s get to know each other!

Hi all and welcome to the Downsizers January team chat! My name is Linda and I am one of the team captains. My counterpart is the amazing Megan aka @Megan_smartiepants1970.

I am originally from Newfoundland but I live in Southwestern Ontario. I am 57 years old, married, retired due to a disability and have 3 adult children. I also have 4 beautiful granddaughters. Two live here in Ontario and the other two in Scotland. I am planning a trip there in April. My granddaughters are one of my reasons for trying to get healthy. I have two very fat cats, Nick and Lady.

I started my weight loss journey in February 2019 and have been with F2F since the beginning. I have had a couple of ups and downs since starting but I have never given up. I have a bad back and neuropathy so my exercise is limited to mostly swimming and workouts in the pool.

Basically, my health and granddaughters. My weight was out of control. So was my diabetes and other health issues. I wanted to do things with my grandkids not just watch them play. I guess fear pushed me to start as I didn’t want to continue to see my health decline especially with diabetes complications. I have been off insulin for several months now and it remains my biggest NSV to date.

My biggest trigger is salty snacks like potato chips. Also, skipping meals (besides breakfast) will lead to binge eating. I avoid my triggers by keeping minimal salty snacks in the house. I try to eat all meals and stay rested.

I calorie count. I am going to try to get back to intermittent fasting this year.

Swimming and pool exercises. Hopefully we will see no more lockdowns so the pool stays open.

*Close my rings daily
    *Complete monthly Apple challenge (1250 minutes of exercise in January)
    *log food daily
    *10k converted steps daily

Support and motivation.

• Morethanjustanumber
    Morethanjustanumber Posts: 656 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options

My name is Jean and I was born and raised North Carolina. I’m 64, retired and have two adult daughters. I spent a lot of years taking care of everyone but me. I am working hard to change that mindset and put my needs, if not first, at least at a higher level.

I started in 2016 with the idea that if I couldn’t lose weight I could at least be healthier and more active at the weight I was. I began exercising on a regular basis for the first time In my life, built up some endurance and surprise surprise lost a few pounds. I joined MFP in 2017 with the idea I was going to start logging my foods and try to lose weight. And I did. I went from a high weight of around 300 in 2016 to a low weight of 228 in 2019. I had trouble maintaining anything below 230. I admit that I lost my focus during the pandemic and could kick myself for regaining weight. I am currently at 255.8. Seeing my weight creep up to 260 and having to go up a size in clothes was my wake up call.

I am an emotional eater and I love anything sweet or with carbs. I do better when I avoid sugars and starchy carbs but I try not to be too restrictive as deprivation is a trigger too. I am toying with the idea of allowing myself a treat each week for staying on tract but I will have to see how that goes. I need to always be aware that I cannot allow others’ moods and emotions affect me.

Logging foods religiously has worked for me in the past. I need to be mindful of what and how much I am eating. I do tend to lean to low carb but I don’t consider myself truly low carb as I try to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. I also mostly intermittently fast. Usually 14-16 hours but I am not as consistent as I would like

Mostly I walk. Before I injured my knee last year I was consistently walking 3 or more miles a day. Now I am limiting my walks to 1 mile at a time. This month I am committing to trying Zumba as fun way to move more. We will see how it goes!

I have so many. That is part of my problem. I need to learn to focus on just a few things at a time. So for January I am committing to walking 5x per week, Zumba 6x per week, logging my food daily, and giving up my Diet Coke habit which I had kicked but have picked back up. This year I would like to lose on average 4 lbs per month. 48 pounds. That would put me around 208. I’d like to think I can do that but I know that I plateaued at 230 last time so we will see. That would be the lowest I have weighed in 25 years.

Accountability. More than anything else I need to be accountable to someone. My daughter is also acting as an accountability partner but usually only weekly. I think that if I know I have to show someone my daily steps I will be more likely to get them in everyday. I know if I have to check off on the habit tracker for the group to see how I am doing on my goals for the month I will be more likely to be consistently working on them. I hope that I can also provide that same support for someone else as well. Having others that are sharing similar struggles, celebrating successes is priceless.

My weigh in day is Saturday
    My starting weight on 1/1/22 is 255.8

Here’s to making 2022 an awesome year!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,069 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hi Everyone ...My name is Megan ...I am the co-captain of this wonderful team with our awesome captain Linda....I am also a moderator so if there is a problem please let me know so we can resolve it .. Also most of you have already met me since I am in charge of recruiting new members....I was born in Alberta Canada ...I was adopted at 7 weeks old ...I have lived in California most of my life ...I would love to buy property and build a house in Colorado ... I have 2 kids...A son named Austin who is 22 and in the Navy and A daughter named Alyssa who is 16...I have homeschooled her from day 1 she will be a Senior this August (I can't believe it ) I have 2 grandma calico kitties named Kylie and Mocha ... I have 2 dogs who are now both 4 years old ... Dakota my German Shepherd and Aspen my Siberian Husky who is also my walking partner along with my daughter ....I use to be an ER nurse before I had kids ...then I was a caregiver in a retirement home ...now I am a stay at home mom which I love ...I have been on this site off and on since 2009..I had a bad habit of giving up on myself and deleting my accounts...I started with this screen name on December 2018 .. I was hospitalized in Jan. 2019 with the flu/pneumonia for 9 days.. I also found out that I was diabetic on many meds..insulin etc . it was then that I knew I had to change so I got back on MFP ...I also found this wonderful group who has helped me tremendously ...As of today I am back on Keto.. back to walking 5 days a week and back to using my home gym 2 days a week ... my weight is back up but this is the year I take control and succeed .. If you want to know more about me just ask ..I am an open book ..Wishing Everyone the Very Best on their journey :)

I am in charge of our step challenge within our group .. If you are new and interested in joining just let me know and give me a step count that you plan to hit daily ...You can post either daily (which I find is the easiest) or you can post weekly just have them in no later than Monday of the following week please ..Also I have a converter chart that I am able to convert most exercises into steps ...so for example you lift weights ..you just tell me for how long and if it was light, moderate or vigorous

Please let me know if any of you want to be removed, added, excused etc. Thanks and lets have an amazing year :)

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    We have a new member joining us ... Please welcome @alexanderrob :)
  • alexanderrob
    alexanderrob Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1. Tell us about yourself.

Hey everyone. I am a 41 year old guy, married, four kids. I run a Small Business Development Center by day and chauffeur by night. Usually in a rush to make dinner before getting kids to basketball, softball, or guitar lessons. I love to hike, mess around with bonsai trees, and cook.

I've gained a lot of weight since COVID hit. I've been heavier for a while, but now it's to the point where many things have become difficult or uncomfortable. Health issues are creeping up, and they can all be tied back to my weight.

Staying up late is very bad for me. I tend to eat and eat and eat when I do. I think I'm a stress eater too.

I lose the most on Keto and when I'm tracking all my calories, but I have a hard time sticking to this long term. I plan to use a balanced, fairly low carb eating plan now.

Walking or hiking. I like lifting weights too but have a hard time fitting it into my schedule.

My goal is to drop 75 lbs in 2022. I'd like to start strong with a 12-15 lb loss in month one and then aim for about a pound per week after that. Outside of numbers, my other goals for January are establishing healthy habits like walking every day, logging my meals, increasing my water intake, etc.

I hope that being a part of the team is going to be one more thing that helps me stay strong in moments of weakness. That I won't feel like I'm on this journey alone.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    1. Tell us about yourself.

Hey everyone. I am a 41 year old guy, married, four kids. I run a Small Business Development Center by day and chauffeur by night. Usually in a rush to make dinner before getting kids to basketball, softball, or guitar lessons. I love to hike, mess around with bonsai trees, and cook.

I've gained a lot of weight since COVID hit. I've been heavier for a while, but now it's to the point where many things have become difficult or uncomfortable. Health issues are creeping up, and they can all be tied back to my weight.

Staying up late is very bad for me. I tend to eat and eat and eat when I do. I think I'm a stress eater too.

I lose the most on Keto and when I'm tracking all my calories, but I have a hard time sticking to this long term. I plan to use a balanced, fairly low carb eating plan now.

Walking or hiking. I like lifting weights too but have a hard time fitting it into my schedule.

My goal is to drop 75 lbs in 2022. I'd like to start strong with a 12-15 lb loss in month one and then aim for about a pound per week after that. Outside of numbers, my other goals for January are establishing healthy habits like walking every day, logging my meals, increasing my water intake, etc.

I hope that being a part of the team is going to be one more thing that helps me stay strong in moments of weakness. That I won't feel like I'm on this journey alone.

Welcome to our wonderful team..Happy to have you join us ... I am also a keto'er...Wishing you the very best :)
  • GMgetsfit
    GMgetsfit Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I'm Joanne
    user name GMgetsfit
    current weight 265.8

I'm a retired since 2016 due to disability. I'm a 66yo mother of 2 grandmother of 5. Divorced who loves to travel.

My family has always been my reason for any good decision I've made to improve my health.
    I have never felt so heavy I'm not sure but I don't believe I've ever been this weight before. You know sometimes you don't allow yourself to see what you are doing to yourself. :/:s

Last month I bearly was able to fasten my seatbelt on the plane going from Ga to Miami, we had a family cruise for 7 days including thanksgiving (loved it!) Coming back to Ga on the plane I could not fasten the seat belt and was too embarrassed to protect myself by asking for a seat belt extender. I tried to get it together once back home but my head wasn't in it. I have prepared so I'm ready now.

I love salty snacks potato chips are my biggest trigger. I don't buy them. Well when I'm on track I don't.

I really like the results I get on keto without feeling deprived. I eat pork rinds to satisfy the salty snack urge.
    I plan to us intermittent fasting as well, eating from 10am to 6pm . At some point during week 3 I plan to do a 3 day water only fast.

I know being in this group can be encouraging and make me remain accountable. Hope I can encourage others as well. WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A GOOD MONTH!
  • MeowScout
    MeowScout Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    @lindamtuck2018 Linda, please remind me what you mean by close the rings!

@megan_smartiepants1970 Megan, thank you for your step gathering. I am not going to officially submit step counts this month. We homeschool, and my older son will be in high school next year, and I am starting the big planning for it. Ack!

@tslose Let's log and write ourselves to better awareness and accountability!

@Morethanjustanumber Jean, keep walking down that scale; pave the way for me coming along behind you, I need a smooth road!

@alexanderrob Rob, thanks for being here. I also LOVE to stay up late, but my body is happier when I don't. What's your optimal bedtime?
  • MeowScout
    MeowScout Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    @lindamtuck2018 I would like to learn more about being a team motivator.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    MeowScout wrote: »
    @lindamtuck2018 Linda, please remind me what you mean by close the rings!

@megan_smartiepants1970 Megan, thank you for your step gathering. I am not going to officially submit step counts this month. We homeschool, and my older son will be in high school next year, and I am starting the big planning for it. Ack!

@tslose Let's log and write ourselves to better awareness and accountability!

@Morethanjustanumber Jean, keep walking down that scale; pave the way for me coming along behind you, I need a smooth road!

@alexanderrob Rob, thanks for being here. I also LOVE to stay up late, but my body is happier when I don't. What's your optimal bedtime?

I can excuse you or remove you from the step challenge ... Please let me know what you decide
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    I am off to go on a shopping spree... daughter and I are back into crafts so we need some stuff from Hobby Lobby ..I also need stuff form Bedbathandbeyond and Walmart :)
  • alexanderrob
    alexanderrob Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @MeowScout Seems like you'd make a good "motivator"! I was a Scouter up until this past year. A lot of the stuff I did in Scouts was easier and more enjoyable when I was in a little better shape. As to your question about my optimal bedtime, I'm going to shoot for 9:00 pm. It'll be difficult many nights, but it's what has to happen to remove the temptation of nighttime eating until I can find some alternative ways to get those dopamine hits my brain wants to have.
  • cormierannie
    cormierannie Posts: 4,414 Member
    Options
    My name is Annie. I'm a single mom to my beautiful 16 year old daughter. I have two budgie birds. I enjoy dancing, watching movies, reading, watching sports and doing some arts and crafts. I'm on this journey to get and stay healthy. A mini checkup pushed me to start. Stress, boredom, loneliness, unexpected changes in my daily life. I can avoid them by going for long walks and by reacting more positively to any unexpected changes in my life. I tend to follow the Mediterranean diet. I plan to lose and keep off 4: pounds this month.my favourite way to workout is dancing. I want to gain motivation, encouragement, support from this group.
    One of my goals is to get 7 hours of sleep every day. Another goal is to take at least 10 minutes every day for self care.
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,104 Member
    Options
    Our Week 1 January Group Challenge is open and ready to go for Sunday, Jan. 2nd. I hope you'll join us as this challenge accompanies last week's New Year/New You Challenge with "Things to Do in 2022!" Here's the link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10852416/january-week-1-group-challenge-things-to-do-in-2022#latest

Jessica :smile:
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    We have another new member joining us .. Please welcome @aknroberts :)
  • aknroberts
    aknroberts Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

Best wishes for the New Year from sunny Australia.
    Once again restarting my weight loss journey. Going to make this year count.
    Good luck to everyone.
This discussion has been closed.