Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    My chili was really good and I had a large bowl that filled me up but the sodium was awful….I have a cold and I just didn’t feel like making sauce or cooking dry beans…..opening the can was hard enough lol…I had 2 1/2 oz. lean ground beef,1 1/2 oz. onions,1 c. tomato sauce and 1c. of chili beans with lots of chili powder!….and 4 Ritz crackers!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,640 Member
    Options
    so I skipped the veggie fries tonight - because somehow a little teeny tiny blueberry pie found its way to my house today :) so I had to cut calories somewhere else. But - I made a new discover. Because I was a bit low on protein - I topped the chili with some cottage cheese - and topped the cottage cheese with some hot pickled banana peppers. That was very tasty!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I wanted something easy and quick, so ground turkey taco salad it is!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    Options
    Sorry physical therapy sucked. Menu sounds good. As a tastier/busier alternative to cauliflower, I use a three riced vegetable frozen bled containing broccoli cauliflower and carrots. I believe Laurie uses the same one with her egg curry.

Even coming in at under 800 Cal this could have easily been split into two meals based on both quantity and goodness! 351g of spiralized frozen beets, a jar of classico bolognese (654g) sprinkled with 18g of romano and 1.5g of dried chilli peppers! Farm Jar and freezer to table in less than 8 minutes and very indulgent to boot!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I just discovered a cache of "pasta" sauce in the freezer... That sounds like a really good way to serve it up, PAV.

I've actually not tried the three veggie rice blend... I was was using the real vegetables in my egg Curry meals... Lovely big chunks. Next time I'm allowed to go into a grocery store I'm going to look for the three Reggie rice blend.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,856 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    How about polenta and tomato sauce? If you make a batch of polenta that’s fairly firm it can be cut into large squares after it’s cooled. Also reheated and browned in lightly sprayed fry pan until it has crispy edges. Come to think of it, polenta squares in the air fryer might be worth a try. Of course you have to go easy on butter and cheese. ucyz84lsnd0r.jpeg
    uumkokranb1b.jpeg
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,856 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it’s available everywhere but polenta comes premade in a roll shelf stable. Like cookie dough rolls. You can lop off a chunk as needed.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Yooly - yes - polenta is delicious served like this - especially with a nice sprinkling of mozzarella! Something for my treat days though - rather than an everyday staple. For a pasta replacement my go to is French cut greens - but for some reason the spiral cut beets really tickled my fancy when I read PAV's dinner description yesterday!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Brunch today - vegetable soup (from the freezer :) ) with a hardboiled egg and a side of cottage cheese and a sprinkling of pumpkin seeds - maybe some of those hot banana pepper rings too!

Supper - the rest of the chili - with some veggie dogs (a soy product rather than those fancy wheat based sausages-not as tasty but pretty decent source of protein) and some spring mix...probably plain.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I always envy everyone's meals here. I just can't seem to get back into cooking at home like I used to.

Tonight I will be making some basic ground beef tacos. I add peppers and onions to the meat mixture and will also be making some guacamole. A little salsa... maybe some cheese. They should be good. Just roasting some zucchini on the side to get some more vegetables in. Nothing fancy.

Working on my meal plan for the next couple of weeks. Really craving bagels with cream cheese, but need to add something to make them "healthier" (for lack of a better term). Maybe some greens? Or something else to put on them...
  • PAV8888
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Alpha alpha or sprouts for the bagels?

Lox calorie wise and taste wise is fairly strong. Capers have negligible calories. Not sure if these would qualify as healthier.

The tacos sound good to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

The "pasta" hit the spot so well yesterday I'm thinking for similar today as an easy meal. Might diverge and go with fine green beans (not Frenched which would suck sauce better but very fine so they're not too distracting), or steal (nick, rob and abscond with) some of the dog's butternut squash. Or her tilapia now that I think about it?

You know? What exactly is wrong with just stealing some of her food?🤣 Pasta, squash, tilapia, tiny amount of corn oil, all it needs is some sauce!!!!!😹 This 🐶🐕 and I should have a conversation about sharing and her food is already cooked so even faster! 🤣
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Air fryer chicken legs with a mild spice rub on them, roasted chunks of sweet potatoes, and mixed vegetables with a salad is on the menu tonight….
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Sounds fair to me, PAV. They want to share our food all the time.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Woohoo - the container that was marked "veggie" was not vegetable soup - it was a really nice vegetable stew! What a pleasant surprise :)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Not a huge sprouts fan honestly... they are not bad, but not a favorite.

I really want to try lox again. Had it years ago and did not like. But I have added so much to my diet that I used to hate so who knows. Maybe next time...

I decided to get some greens and some thin sliced turkey or ham to top the bagel halves. I need to add some more greens into my diet.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I am not trying lox or a lot of other stuff!….why would you ruin chili by plopping cottage cheese on top of it?….( Laurie! )

I like bagels with butter or a cheese bagel with thin deli roast beef, or cream cheese…..normal things lol
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    ...why would you ruin chili by plopping cottage cheese on top of it?….( Laurie! )

Just trying to up my protein, Connie. I figure I will heal better and feel better if my protein is at a good level - and running a calorie deficit while healing will feel less questionable if I know I'm getting lots of protein and calcium.

• PAV8888
    Options
    Live it up Connie! Add some sriracha to everything 😘🤣
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Live it up Connie! Add some sriracha to everything 😘🤣

Hey! I did try some sriracha this week in my chili and it did give it a kick!

Laurie I did have some cottage cheese with the blueberries and sliced almonds….really good!…( you know I am teasing you! )

Shoot!…I should have put a little of that sauce on my chicken legs at dinner!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Glad you like the cottage cheese, Connie! It is a really decent food - and with time (and sufficient depravation :D ) starts to feel like dessert!

I know you were pulling my leg - it is a weird combination though.