Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    My husband has been eating a lot of cottage cheese …..lots of protein and no sugar….his sugar is down to 183 which is better but not great
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    Options
    Well, I changed things up today and HAD breakfast... two pouches of whole wheat cream of wheat with some melted "christmas" candy coated chocolate eggs (aren't these supposed to be easter only?), a tiny bit of cocoa and some greek yogurt.

Just under 600 Cal with a trace of peanut butter helped get me all the way to a very late dinner which started with a 500g of fine green beans and a jar of classico (plus 12g of cheese-cellulose-leftover trimmings, I mean parmesan, plus some dried chillies :wink: )

Once it all settles down we shall see what happens. I think some yogurt thingy is likely since protein is "only" 81g as of right now and I have enough Cals to play with.

Actually given the time I am going to hit the yogurt right away because running at a 1500 Cal deficit pace at 8pm usually ends up with me blowing it all in a spectacular hamster meltdown (especially since I am aiming for sub 500 Cal deficits to gently move back down!)
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,640 Member
    Options
    Good thinking, PAV, on hitting yogurt right away - hope you did. That is a lead I need to follow.
    That is one of the weirdest breakfast combinations ever though!!!!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Good thinking, PAV, on hitting yogurt right away - hope you did. That is a lead I need to follow.
    That is one of the weirdest breakfast combinations ever though!!!!

PAVs meals are beginning to sound “ normal “ to me lol…is this good or bad?
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    0uhhquob27n9.jpg
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Connie I see hope, I see hope! Laurie stop laughing your (soon to be even more) little *kitten* off... If I didn't know better I would think you were laughing "with" me with an @ sign :wink:
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    The one thing that PAV ate was the yogurt and low sugar cherry pie filling….I keep thinking that might really be good layered in a pretty glass with graham cracker crumbs or vanilla wafers…..but then again, I could buy cherry yogurt!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    That's a really good idea Connie. I will do the yogurt cherry pie filling thing today! Woohoo!

And no. Regular cherry yogurt is not nearly the same. Way more cherry from the cherry pie variety!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Of course I was laughing with you PAV... We are converting Connie into a food touchy kind of person 😁
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I'm finding myself craving cream of wheat or cocoa wheat, but hubby can't eat it and I know its not the most filling of foods for me anyway :)

I was supposed to fast today, but after going to the doctor to figure out what I did to my hand (x-ray results should be back tomorrow to tell if I broke it or not) and going grocery shopping, I knew I wasn't going to make it.

HOWEVER, I am only 8 calories over my limit today! I didn't eat anything until 4 pm when i stopped and got a drink and a couple of chicken tenders to get me home.

Supper was chicken breasts smothered in a mushroom sauce with onion, red bell pepper, taragon, and cashew milk and it turned out very, very good! And the only reason it was 530 calories is because I didn't cut the chicken breast in half since the suckers in the store are HUGE!

Then I popped open a jar of banana squash I had canned earlier this year and spiced it up with a little tumeric and cinnamon with sweetener, then added in some broccoli for green stuff. made carbquick low carb biscuits too, and with all of that for dinner, I am stuffed!

Dessert is going to be hot cocoa with a bit of heavy cream in it :)
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    What is up with the size of chickens?…when I was a kid my grandparents had chickens and they were so tiny!….now a wing is the size a leg used to be!

I had high sodium canned soup again….this cold is killing me….johns sugar was 133 this morning so we are going in the right direction…if I drink any more hot tea, water or soda or coffee I will be sleeping in the bathroom!…I did take a 3 hour nap today which was good….I only slept four hours again last night!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I stole some of the girl's oven baked tilapia and also some of her butternut squash! I didn't dig into any of her pasta... but I did add about 400 Cal worth of shoesting frozen potatoes on the baking sheet--and I kept them all for myself!

Lunch was thick cut chinese noodles in chicken soup base with lots of garlic and some fine green beans too. Still a bit short on protein so will probably grab 0% greek yogurt when we come back from our night-time "pee"
  • lauriekallis
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hope you are feeling better today, Connie! I can't help but think that our bodies might be wanting the extra sodium when we are sick and that is why we crave salty soups? If nothing else - it should bring a nice drop when you are feeling better and have a few lower sodium days. All that extra fluid on internal cleaning duty will whoosh out and you will feel like a new woman.

PAV - I feel so conservative these days - tiptoeing on the ice, in bed early, living in such a constrained fashion and it makes me laugh when i read your post from 2:18 am and think that you still have a nighttime walk to do. You wild and crazy guy you!
    Glad your pups shared some of her food with her human.

Bmeadows - you have really brought my mind to the idea of canning - squash - hmmm - that would make so much sense when it is so plentiful for such a short season. I don't think I'll ever get there. But wow I admire what you are doing.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Working on my meal plan for next week while I wait for this program to run at work (the testing environment runs SO SLOW and I can't do anything else until it is done). Right now I have breakfast and dinners figured out... but I need lunches.

Breakfast: Bagels with cream cheese, sliced turkey, and greens

Dinners:
    - Branzino, Mediterranean roasted vegetables, rice or pasta of some sort
    - Hibachi chicken, veggie fried rice, sautéed zucchini/mushrooms/onions
    - Keilbasa, fried potatoes and onions, sourkraut
    - BBQ chicken breasts, roasted brussel sprouts, mashed "baked" potatoes

I also think I may get some yogurt and pie filling lol. Sounds like a good replacement for ice cream which I need to get out of the freezer. Snacks will also include fruit of some sort, string cheese, and popcorn.

Still working on adding stuff into my diet and trying to listen to my hunger cues. I was doing well with the hunger thing until the last couple of weeks. So want to get back on that!

Now to figure out lunches...
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Hope you can figure out some filling/healthy lunches @athijade.

I'm sort of running on a consistent daily break fast (clementines and tea :)) and aiming for a routine staple "brunch" of eggs and veggies. That leaves only one meal a day to provide novelty and excitement. Saves some brain cells and will (hopefully) help normalize my return to eating well.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    PAV, bought a bag of regular coleslaw - thinking I would make it with ramen noodles at some point - but I forgot the ramen noodles so that will have to happen next bag of coleslaw since I'm still isolating and can't just run to the store.

For brunch today - I just lawyer a few handfuls of the slaw under my other food - sort of used it as a base - and it was fantastic! Lots of extra fibre and vitamins and bulk. Some fun crunch. No need for dressing or anything. I think this coleslaw will become a new staple.

For supper today - something with The Boy - finally! Watermelon? Chicken-less fingers? Little gem potatoes? Broccoli? Carrots? Whatever his heart desires - and he is such a sweetheart that he tries to think of things that he knows will make me happy too. <3
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Not sure what is for dinner….this cold is awful and the Mucinex is making me feel light headed….

Athijade what about chicken, egg, or tuna salad on a wrap or a plate of lettuce for lunch?…sometimes a Lean Cusine is easy for lunch, too….

I have some watermelon for my snack later!

Willow came in our room this morning wanting outside while Amanda was in the shower….she really had to go lol…..

PAV you are very kind to share your food….Willow thinks everyone’s meal at our house is hers to share with us!….her birthday party is Sun…..she will be 3…. As rotten a puppy as she was, she is now a great dog….probably the smartest dog we ever had…..
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Out of curiosity Connie, do you guys still test for rhymes with Ovid, or just assume that all colds are? Hope that whatever you've got just goes away!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity Connie, do you guys still test for rhymes with Ovid, or just assume that all colds are? Hope that whatever you've got just goes away!

Testing is done a lot here….I have been vaccinated with the two doses but not boostered….I wear a mask everywhere….being a teacher in a germ infested school with germ infested kids,our daughter brought this cold home….it has run its course through the six of us and is in all different stages….my Shingles outbreak caused my headaches…none of the others had a headache….my ears are stopped up and the Mucinex is helping…..grandson is better…..his dad just got it…..

Onward we go!

If we still have this by mid week we will all get tested for Covid but I think it is highly unlikely we have it….johnnathan ( grandson) was tested last week in the ER….our weather has been insane and the rest of the gang has terrible allergies….

I just feel Yukk!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I would have never guessed that what I had last week was Covid, it was pretty mild, except it started with my son who was tested at work - positive - and ran through all of the rest of us with similar symptoms except for my grandson who reacted quite differently. So our best guess is we have all had the omicron variant of covid now. Three of us were double vaccinated, 1 of the 3 had their booster, one son isn't vaccinated at all. The vaccination status didn't change anything for any of us - but then again we are all pretty healthy and I'm the oldest at 58.

Testing is more limited here at the moment - and apparently false negative tests are common - so we didn't bother. Just hunkered down, self isolated, and grumbled.