Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile does your mom write books or articles or both? Would I know her work? I have read a lot of true crime books.

My mom’s name is Carolyn McSparren - she has published series of both romance and mystery, plus a bunch of short stories and currently edits the yearly anthology put out by Malice in Memphis, the Memphis mystery writer’s group. She’s never “hit the big time” unlike a couple of her friends but has a respectable list of moderately well performing books out. I think the most recent anthology is “Lies along the Mississippi.” I have the mixed fortune to be lightly disguised as several badly-behaved children and teenagers in various books.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile I will have to look her up. Definitely more a mystery fan than romance.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,965 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso That must be a paid MFP thing, because I don't know what the "set time feature for food" is. Mine just has breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack and I enter it whenever I want with no problem.

@rheddmobile I was also wondering if there are things that your mom wrote that are out there for us to read. Thanks for the info. I'll have to look her up too. My mom loves to read. I'll try to get something of your mom's for her.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Yah, I have my meals set up as breakfast, lunch etc but now when I enter food for those meals it asks me current time, set time, or no time. I haven't figured out why I need to enter a time that I ate X food outside of breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack LOL
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

@Rheddmobile Perfect timing, I just got off the phone with the Sr Detective on mom's case, and yes...he is an amazing person! I told him what PD said about Mom and he chuckled and said that a lot of people asked if he was involved, but they just have nothing to go on other than he is an *kitten*. I told him about all the undocumented workers he has living at his house and he has the money to drop a name and say make them disappear. He gave me all the phone numbers I need to call if he does it again to generate "415s", he says if I get enough of them a Judge will grant a restraining order without a hearing. I by no means plan on "generating" those though intentionally. I also have to SEE him shoot to get him for reckless firing of a weapon. He told me to tell the other neighbors to also call, the more the merrier. I asked him about getting a handgun and he gave me the name of the 2 stores he buys his guns from and who to talk to about gun safety classes. He said it surprisingly not that hard to apply for a concealed carry and gave me the website that spells it out.

Other than that, it has been a quiet day. I did get a bit of work done and happy with that. I have my Safety program training today at some point. I also still need to work on some other programs.

DH and I went for our 2 mile walk yesterday. He is frustrated with the computers he has work, the crash and reboot constant under the weight of the models he is trying to build. I think our evening walks are what the universe ordered.

We also ordered a white board and splurged on a wireless 4x6 photo printer so we can start printing ideas for decorating and create a vision board.

I got the name of a new draftsman and also an electrician. Now to carve out time to talk with them.

No movement on the scale, but not gaining. I haven't been tracking my calories though either. I ordered one of those Everwell at home blood tests for "women's health". I haven't done it yet. You have to do it on the 3rd and 20th day of your cycle.

Well, best get to work. The days are ticking by fast.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @CMorning99 You still impress me with how busy you keep yourself. I've been up for 3 hours and am still not awake. I had to drop the old dog off to be groomed and just wandered around the store, half asleep, buying dog treats and toys. I managed by Starbucks for an Americano. I think I needed a "bucket" sized one. It has not even phased me.

Just jabber...
    Got the pups a chewy bone that had some kind of bacon wrapped around it. Kevin promptly took his to the bed and ate it. Sandy was rather elated with it and walked around the house parading it, even took it outside for a bit. I wonder if she was trying to show Kevin? haha! It elicited a healthy tail wag from Kev, who doesn't seem to wag much. I was pleased I picked an acceptable treat. I bought some cheap toys, 2-4$ and placed them around the house for them to find. I think they are outside killing one.
    We revisited the "find it" game last night. Dh brought home some horrible lemon cookies and they made a great game of "find it" haha! No more cookies. I am trying to log and get back to better choices slowly. So the cookies had to go even if they were horrible, I'd still eat them.

Violin is actually coming along.
    It's amazing what your mind can focus on when you remove the anxiety, or least some of it. I just need to get a paper written. yuck.

Sandy hasn't peed in the house for 5-6 days now!!! yeah! I can close the back door more often! Kevin already chewed an area of my rugable, freying it. butt-dog. I figured he'd love pulling it away from the mat. He really likes that velcro noise. I was playing a game and wasn't watching him. DH and I bought Oculus's. So if you wanna play you can fine me on FB Elise HaRdeN. elsanoir is my game, nome de avatar? Least, I think that how it works. I have Elven assassin and beat saber. I am not good at it, but who cares. It's just fun. (chill out competitive side). Dh won't play beat saber, too gay I think. Bet I get him to play it. He liked the dancing tutorial.

Stalling on that paper... trying to wake up.

ETA
    Kevin
    iilks0zoocdm.jpeg

Barky Kevin. Hes getting a bit of a red tint to him. https://youtu.be/tYpU6gTqNM8

And dog laps
    https://youtu.be/QDdysCbdkFE

• CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

@swenson19d I feel like I am in a total rut! I appreciate your perspective, I seem to be in denial about a couple areas of my mental health and habits. LOL.

Yesterday ended up going well. The PA (Clinic) called me back and said my blood work and xrays all came back normal, no arthritis. He literally said "I don't know what you want me to do". I told him that any pain that may require me to take motrin for several times a week with no end in sight required more attention. I asked for a referral to neurology to test for carpel tunnel. I definitely have some nerve irritation because I feel the tingling. But I don't know if that also accounts for the very sharp pain in my joints that lasts for days. I suspect this may be more of a tendon thing in my forearm.

DH and I went for our walk and saw so many coyotes. They all started singing when the national anthem played. DH was also telling me his plans for his "man cave". There is a study in the plans and I thought that he was going to use that. But he has decided he wants a man cave separate from the house with a retractable roof so he can use his telescope. Huh, ok buddy.

Food was ok yesterday, probably not a deficit. Didn't weigh myself this AM. I was actually thinking of going out Sat morning and and seeing what a short jog felt like. I am also very excited about sleeping in though LOL. I also think I am going to sell my Concept 2 rower. I have used it maybe 5x in 6 years. I am never going to use it despite my dreams.

Grey cat is doing ok. He still seems a bit out of it and not quite as active as before. I cherish every day with him. We have not gotten his inhalers yet from that Canada pharmacy. The vet did tell me it could take up to 6 weeks. I have a tracking number and it looks like they are coming from New Zealand. Sat in customs for 2 weeks before finally saying they were on a plane, that was a week ago and nothing has updated yet. Black cat is doing well too. I didn't realize that cats can loose hair on chemo? He has lost his undercoat (he is part mainecoon) and his fur has become very thin, you can see his skin through the parts. It is also not growing back where they shaved his leg. He has chemo tomorrow and B vit injections with his monthly weigh in. I need to call and see if the oncologist an hour away is accepting patients yet. Next closest one is 3 hrs.

Well, best get to it today. Need to make a decision on if we are dropping the old draftsman (It has been a week since I emailed and texted him for an appt). The electrician wants to know what we want to do, not entirely sure. And need to get back to finding a company to move the mobile home.

DH has said tonight is date night and wants to go to a steak house nearby.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Hey guys. Can I come back? I've missed you.

You never left my heart.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    swenson19d wrote: »

You never left my heart.

I love you guys so much. I've been thinking about you all a lot. I don't know why I stayed away.
  • swenson19d
    Options

You never left my heart.

I love you guys so much. I've been thinking about you all a lot. I don't know why I stayed away.

Sometimes we just need time to sort. You'll have to give us an update on how you've been doing, when you have the time. You are like a sister to me, door is always open for you and you never need ask permission to hang, hide out, or raid the fridge. ☺️

• RunsOnEspresso
    Options

You never left my heart.

I think sometimes we just need a break. I was away for a bit too
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    My next door neighbor, aka the meanest old lady in the world, is in the hospital with Covid and it doesn’t look good. Despite her being old and really mean (she once completely bewildered my white blond Nordic tree trimmer by calling him the n-word, and her own son, once when I asked how she was doing, said ‘mean as usual!) I don’t wish her any harm and it’s touching to watch her enormous family descend on her house to use it as a headquarters. She has survived cancer twice and is a diabetic so the odds are against her, and also she has been as careful as it is possible for a human to be, getting everything delivered and speaking to people only from the security of her porch with them twenty feet away in the driveway. It makes me feel like if she can get it, no one is safe.

In other news, my mom’s cat died, probably of a blood clot since she suddenly developed a wobbly back end. The cat has not been quite right since she was a kitten and had a severe fever which left her almost in a coma for several days. My father, who was not usually the type to do this, for some reason just did not want this kitten to die and fed her from an eyedropper every couple hours until she was better. And she recovered, but I think she had brain damage, because she was always weird and mostly hid in drawers after that. Anyway she lived another twelve years, longer than anyone ever expected. So, goodbye strange little cat, I hope you can be well and happy now, and maybe say hi to my dad for me.

In happier news, it’s the season when raccoons get together and make more raccoons! They are making all kinds of crazy noises out back. We have been filling the little pool with water for them every day since they keep coming by to drink, and tonight it froze solid, and we had ice skating raccoons!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options

You never left my heart.

Sometimes we just need time to sort. You'll have to give us an update on how you've been doing, when you have the time. You are like a sister to me, door is always open for you and you never need ask permission to hang, hide out, or raid the fridge. ☺️

@avidkeo - I agree with everything she said👆🏻! We've missed you too!!

@cmorning99 - I hate when you know something is wrong and you are in pain but still just get dismissed. Test are fine so everything must be ok... uh but it isn't. I hope they can figure it out for you.
    We have friends who built a man cave just like your Dh wants and they love it. He takes pictures with the telescope and they are amazing!

@swenson19d - OMG They are so big! when you post pictures of them it is hard to realize how big they are but seeing Eric holding Kevin - wow! Also I love his reaction to your voice with the head tilt, so cute and I laughed out loud at them going round and round the table. One time Kevin tried to go the opposite direction and looks like Sandy said nope we only go one way! So funny!
    I am waiting for a ruggable to arrive. What do you think of it, other than Kevin freying the corner? I ordered a small one just to see if we like it, then found out from a friend that you can order samples. I may still do that so we can compare different ones.

@rheddmobile - I find it strange when someone is so mean to everyone but people still rally round. Maybe it is more the social interaction than that they actually care for the mean person. Or maybe they really do overlook the meanness.
    Wish you had a video of the ice skating raccoons! That would be so cute I am sure.

I am back to making bread again. Got my starter all fed and ready to go and will bake the loaves tomorrow. Also made a loaf of maple nut bread with the discard starter. I bought a cabinet from WayFair and it came and we managed to get it all put together without any bad words being uttered and no one was killed. I am pretty excited because it really looks nice and all my small appliances (mixer, bread maker, vitamix and insta-pot) all fit in it along with all my cookbooks. We have lots of cupboards in the kitchen but they are so high I can't reach them and I don't want to have to be lifting these heavy awkward things up and down all the time. Where I had them stored before will now become space for all the DVDs that were in the TV cabinet we got rid of... I also unpacked a bunch more boxes and started putting all the records away. Had to play a few to make sure they weren't warped and that my stereo all still worked. It was a lot of work but fun too! Food wise I had too many carbs and not enough protein today but that should be good for my run tomorrow.
  • swenson19d
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @rheddmobile Despite the old lady being mean, it is nice that the family still comes together. Sounds like she loved who she is. Dh told me one of his mason buddy shot a "giant pig 4 times" and a 25 pound raccoon. It really bothered me about the raccoon. DH said the guy took him out to to see it and it was about 5 pounds. I've become quite attached to those little characters. I told dh this guy must have been a terrible shot if he had to shoot a large animal 4 times and hit a poor raccoon. We dont see to many around here. We do have a grey fox that visits my neighbors. They fish their pond and throw fish heads out.

@shanaber I still like the ruggables. Kevin has stoped chewing and pulling it, I put cayenne pepper where he pulls it, just need to fix it the best I can. Bob gets caught on the edge a bit on the one in the living room, which has a thicker pad. But it still manages without help. There is a comfort in knowing it can be washed. Im sure it would stay in place if the pups did't wrastle and t-rex fight all over it. They have managed to scoot it a few inches wonky. I'm sure under normal conditions that it wouldn't be nudged askew. I saw the samples.
    The record playing sound fun, like being a teenager again. haha! Dh keeps buying junk. I gave the dogs the cookies and he brought home banana pudding ice cream. I can't give Kevin ice cream, he gets barky and wants more, like a little kid. I ate too much of it last night.

@quilteryoyo How are you doing? Back still on the mend?

@CMorning99 I heard it was coyote mating season. I have no idea if that's true. Seems Beary (cat) had a run in with one Monday evening. He came in dishelved and had peed himself. No indication of a cat fight. He stayed in his basket with the pet warmer for a day and a half. My violin teachers great pyrenees had a run in with one and needed a vet visit for staples on his arm. We are back to shutting the cats in come dark. So glad he managed to get away. ETA it IS mating season.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,965 Member
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @swenson19d Kevin and Sandy are too cute. Glad you are enjoying the violin more. Hope you got your paper written. My back seems to be holding in there. I haven't had any major episodes in over a month. I am trying to do the back exercises every day - I've missed a couple, and walking/running some. I have an appointment with an ortho for a second opinion on what can be done and my running on Tuesday of next week. I hope you gives me a little hope, unlike the first guy I saw.

@CMorning99 I hope you get the referral and figure out where the pain is coming from. It's sort of funny that the coyotes sing along to the National Anthem. Glad the cats are hanging in there. Hope you enjoyed your date night. Sounds like fun.

@Avidkeo Of course you can. We have missed you. I posted my back x-ray a few days ago, if you want to find it and check it out. I just looked and it's on page 431, toward the bottom.

@rheddmobile Sorry about your mom's cat. How did she take the loss? I hope the mean old lady next door is able to survive CoVID too. It sounds like she's been though a lot in her life. Maybe all of that made her mean. Who knows. It does seem like everyone is getting Covid, no matter how hard they try not to. It's a bit scary. Just glad that mom and I have had minor symptoms both times we had it and that we have all the shots. Maybe we'll be protected for a few weeks anyway. We need a video of those ice skating raccoons. LOL

@shanaber I'm sure that bread will be amazing. I love how it makes the house smell.

• swenson19d
    Options
    Hey I have a doggie question.
    Sandy has red areas where skin touches skin, arm pits, leg pits, and the inside of her ears are gently dotted and red. She's has it for a bit and I dismissed it as chafing. But I noticed a bit more dander on her and realised that a food intolerance may be the issue. She always smells a bit corn chippy and barfs easily, seems to have a sensitive tummy,

So, being a Saturday and Not being able to phone the vet; if I were to change her food, what the heck am I eliminating? She is on the purina one puppy large dog. Looks like the first few ingredients are chicken, rice, and corn... soy also. I am guessing that corn and soy would be the most likely culprit for food intolerances? But seems like it could also be the chicken. I wanna say she has a bit of a rash for as long as we've had her and she was on grain free, "who farted"... I can't remember the name... oh "whole hearted" a petco brand. haha. oh she farts a lot too.

What dog food should I try next to start an elimination diet for her? venison, salmon, and duck seem to be the protein replacements.

thought I might find some first hand knowledge here. Who was that twirly girl that fostered all the dogs? She did the pole dancing, but not really pole dancing... with ribbons, I think. I know I'm silly.

@quilteryoyo Nope, I havent finished that paper, its due tomorrow. I have maybe 1/4 of it ☺️. oh the excitement racing the clock 😂
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Hey have gone camping with the family, left yesterday morning and won't be home till tomorrow. No cell phone reception (have popped to town for supplies)

I'll have a full proper cat y up when I'm back.

Here are a few pics in the meantime
    tvcezxrlzafe.jpg
    joe1iru99fhm.jpg
    dg7yc96xxv6d.jpg
    ke6u1501nr3l.jpg
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    @swenson19d - I would first try switching proteins, slowly... Hobbes has had a salmon based food forever and whenever he has too much chicken (I use it as treats when we do his nails) he has issues. And from what I have heard from others, chicken and other proteins can be problematic for some dogs. Right now he gets the Purina Pro Plan Performance (30/20 protein/fat) with salmon and I mix it with NutriSource PureVita Salmon. The PureVita is high protein but is grain free and the vet wants hm to have the grains because of the incidents of canine heart disease that they think are linked to grain free. He needs the higher protein for his activity level and because of the mast cell cancer. The salmon also seems to have more oil that helps with his coat and he rarely has any dander or dry skin issues.

@avidkeo - what a great place to camp and explore! The girls look like they are having such a great time!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    A friend's dog is allergic to chicken. Apparently it is fairly common.

Camping and beach sounds lovely