Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,618 Member
    Options
    lots of excitement going on here....was swept off in a birthday tornado....a glorious one :)

Not even toooo gluttonish
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I put some pre cooked strips of steak in the slow cooker with 2 bags of Birds Eye Steamers ( broccoli, carrots, water chestnuts, and snow peas )… and a green pepper, a red pepper, and onions so I guess we are having pepper steak on REAL rice!…. It smells good and for around 500 calories I get a huge bowl of it!

We have been wild about asparagus this spring….( it is spring here )…. I put the spears on a sprayed pan and mist the asparagus with olive oil…sprinkle with pepper and sea salt bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes…..sprinkle it all with an ounce of real grated Parmesan cheese and bake 10 more minutes…..it is so good!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    Today was a small chicken sausage, sauerkraut and roasted potatoes. And a side salad.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Tonight was sliced Zuchinni in Prego with peppers,onions, and shredded Colby jack….baked, hot and yummy
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Tonight will be egg Foo Yung (my latest attempt to make eggs exciting and palatable 😁) with some lovely gravy.

My question for the day ... Is there any reason for us to cat eat grains. Does our body need them specifically?

I know we need carbs and I can get plenty of carbs from fruits/veggies/pulses/beans.

Is there any benefit to the type of starchy carbs that we get specifically from grains?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,610 Member
    Options
    As a veg eater... you probably need to combine your pulses and beans with other sources of protein because they do not plentifully contain all the amino-acids. I mean it is not a religious 1:1 need. And taking in extra protein helps in this because even when "low" in a particular amino-acid eating LOTS of a "low" source may even bring things up to the necessary level (I mean you only need 100% of whatever it is you need, 101% is not *needed*) You could log things at crono which offers a breakdown to see how things would be working out for you and if you would be missing anything... assuming your source inputs listed amino-acids correctly.

My yogurt doesn't for example but had I used the NCCDB entry, which I will in the future, it would show, as expected, that a tub of yogurt is actually more than enough protein for a day as it covers ALL amino acids at more than 100%.

21fwafbuk1cx.png

• lauriekallis
    Options
    PAV, I've got my protein covered - yogurt, cottage cheese and eggs are my main sources, supplemented by pulses/beans. They more than cover any calcium issues - which I'm conscious of because I'm a 50+ year old plus woman and research shows that significant weight loss reduces bone density.

I'm just not sure whether there is a need for grains? My brain/belly doctor (can't think of a better way to refer to the wonderful disordered eating counsillor I've been seeing) raises concern about me cutting them from my daily diet, which I mostly have for the past couple of years. I enjoy them - they are a quick, easy and cheap way to fuel up - but my body always pays. For me there is a definite link to inflammation...not to mention I tend to overeat them.

Other than the psychological issue of cutting out a large food group (as in maybe it will bring on binging) I have not found any evidence that they are beneficial.

Especially if you have a tendency to type " 'cat' eat grains" in the search bar :)
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I can't comment on mental hamster handling other than to say that what is perceived as the exact same action by an outsider may have extremely different internal meaning and motivation to two different people.

I will comment that thousands of people do "keto". I don't know of many ways that one can do "keto" while eating grains.

I know that I "cut" carbs when I was losing most of my weight. It was a WILD cut all the way down to 44% plus :lol: with fats being 32% and protein 24% during my first year of MFP losses. The additional calories afterwards pretty much all went to carbs... changing the general percentages to 52 to 55%, about 18% to 20% for protein (my minimum 120g would be about 16.5% based on total calories) and the rest fats...

Anyway. Point being fiber and micronutrients maybe would argue against? And motivation. And thought process? Are you "cutting all these evil things", or are you INCREASING all the other GOOD things you would rather have TODAY?

Are you giving them way too much power? Is it the phyllo pastry? Or is it the delectable dessert made out of the phyllo pastry?

But I won't argue that SOME things are worth it and other aren't at any particular point of time... that's MY belief.... everything and anything just not all of it all the time and in unlimited quantity....

Blah Blah Blah :wink:
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,784 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I couldn't imagine a diet without grains.

It would mean no porridge/granola...no nutty granary bread...no pizza...no pasta...no chapattis...no falafel in pitta...no burritos stuffed with chilli and guacamole...no sweet/savoury pastry...only flour-less cakes...no popcorn...no flapjacks or cereal bars...no polenta...no crackers...

Life wouldn't be worth living! I rarely eat cakes or pastry, but I eat something containing flour or grains practically every day of my life....

Give us this day our daily bread....It's not called the staff of life for nothing!

If I had to become a vegan I'd do it without complaint, but if I were forced to give up grains I think I'd have to revolt!

Could you not trust yourself to limit them? E.g. I never have more than 100g bread a day, and my pasta serving is only 75g...I fill up on veggies and other non-grainy foods....but grains still have an honoured place in my daily diet.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    You emit the most useful, thoughtful Blah Blah Blahs ever, PAV. :)<3

Maybe I'm giving them way too much power? But I can't help but feel that maybe they really do wield that much power. I'm okay with them in delectable desserts :) because those ARE delectable treats and should be cherished and treated with the greatest respect. I just don't find them worthwhile in sandwiches, cereals or side dishes and those are the kinds of things I could easily get along on alone if I felt too harried to prepare a proper meal.

I'm kinda cutting the evil things from the menu MOST days so that I can (WILL?) fill up/nourish my body with an abundance of other good things.

I don't/can't buy the KETO theory of cutting fruits and most veggies (????) - so won't/can't use that as a guideline for whether or not I "should" be eating grains.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Hold on there. Whether you WANT to do keto is one thing.

Whether you can be HEALTHY on keto is another. There is no overwhelming evidence that it is IMPOSSIBLE to be healthy on keto... just harder.

But that would, by analogy, make an argument about whether grains are NEEDED for HEALTH (Bella's mental health excluded). Would you possibly miss some micronutrients. I would think the chance would not be zero. But I am not sure about their significance in the end.

I'll be honest in that I didn't spend too many calories on "food wrapping" while trying to lose most of the weight. And yes. I used to eat loafs of rye bread before and still can do so if calories and satiety were NOT a consideration.

But they are.

And other than the dog forcing all the white bread on me (I mean there are three loafs on the table) and having 3K cal to play with so, being able to afford to waste quite a bit while not being subjected to the same hormonal reactions as I was during / right after weight loss... I'm ok with it. But give me crackers... and the box would still be likely to go... sort of like cookies.

Do I still have crackers in the house and do I still buy cookies... of course I do. Just not all the time and... blah blah blah :wink: :lol:

But the fast weight loss thing... yeah. That part does not dampen the yo-yo...
  • PAV8888
    Options
    What's with everyone and 75g pasta? I've seen it somewhere else the past couple of days! 85g and 300 Cal is what the average pasta box says around here!!!!
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2022
    Options
    My spiralized beetroot is objectively Superior in every which way other than color to your colorifically dense and nutritional puny 0-0 powdered dried grass seed and water-based concoction especially if it's not freshly made but has been Factory dried! 🙀🙀🙀🙀😹

Okay pasta is not bad but spiralized beetroots are a revelation with a correct complementing sauce! 😘
  • PAV8888
    edited March 2022
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    But the fast weight loss thing... yeah. That part does not dampen the yo-yo...

*** except for some very few people we hear about occasionally! Actually there was a study :wink: there always is a study :lol: that fast weight loss with appropriate nutritional and psychological support and counselling had equally good (or equally bad) results as slower weight loss! I don't remember if they provided the same counselling and support at the end of the slow weight loss (I believe they didn't because the study ended in a year==as most do==well short of the 5 to 7 years I would love to see!)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    has anyone seen our @AlexandraFindsHerself1971 ?
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    I just hate it when people disappear. I worry about them! Is that person okay, given up, having a life crisis?
    I know I should mind by own business but ........
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I know I posted here this afternoon ... something about pizza being a delectable treat :) but it is gone gone gone
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    I see Alex on the home page as we are friends. So she is still trucking along!

I have found that I am eating less grains in general because they cost points. I would rather fill up on veggies, chicken, and fish for 0 points (note: I still watch portion sizes with the proteins because of calories... same with fruit). But I have not cut back on them on purpose. I am just focusing my meals on other things.

I say that though tonight will be chicken brats on buns with sauteed peppers and onions and corn on the cob.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,784 Member
    Options
    Dinner tonight will be my first takeout in over 2 years, because I'm taking MIL to the hospital for an ultrasound at 19:15 and she's requested chinese takeout as a reward for the 24 hour fast she has to endure prior to the scan.

I'll order wisely....