Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I agree with Bella….I like real pasta and pizza crust even if I have to eat less of it!….of course if I am in binge mode it doesn’t matter what I am eating as long as it is edible….I wish I knew how my brain works because when I am good, I am very good and when I am bad, I am very bad….
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,640 Member
    Options
    I get that, Connie.
    And, I wouldn't give up real pizza crust either - but I have shifted to thin crust which I've come to really like!
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Yes, I like the thin crust, too….sometime I take the topping off a slice and put it on one piece!…less calorie but kind of messy!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,654 Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    There is give up. Bad 🐹 hamster mojo.

There is find something better (or close enough to equal for you because reasons) that you can use instead and be happy.

There is mitigation and damage control.

There is indulgence on occasion.

Examples:
    Pasta; candy bars; mayonnaise
    -- omg they're evil I'll never eat them again = 🐹🤬🤬🤬

-- Dang: this spiral beats thing contrasting sweet and hot when you spice it and with a nice crunch? That's actually pretty dang good tasting (as are broccoli/cauliflower/carrots riced for rice) 🐹👍 and filling. And low calorie. So I can be crying for not eating pasta, or happy that I'm not taking care of myself and eating something tasty enough on its own.

Similarly for the Rx protein bars, and clif bars instead of candy. Taste good enough. Don't quite give the candy hit (Rx less so than clif re hit). But hey, at least they fill me up a bit longer and I've name a smart move for myself so happy 🐹😎

And mayo--yogurt. Actually I stopped adding Mayo so long ago and replaced it with mustard that I don't even consider it. But making egg salad or potato salad with yogurt was a new thing. And a revelation in terms of not tasting bad at all especially with the addition of say powdered mustard, paprika, or Curry not necessarily all at the same time! 🐹👍

Mitigation and damage control is when trying to talk Dad into trying some of these things. So lightning up by using 50-50 mixes. Or saving the pasta experience for only fresh handmade high-end pasta something like only eating special dark chocolate.

And then there's the indulging on occasion either because you're out or with other people or because you feel like it. And even then I've certainly ordered flour only or light battered fish and chips instead of normal at times. And a two piece plus mushy peas instead of all you can eat fish and chips which I used to do.

But either you have to be approaching this with the desire to experiment and the goal to develop the magical filling low calorie perfectly tasting concoctions that will be perfectly acceptable for you long-term (and actually mean it sooner or later), or you can be approaching this as a disaster that has befallen you that is obliging you to put away everything you love, your identity etc etc

Some things are negotiable to people others aren't.

Priorities can change over time.

Not everything has to be resolved at once and a lot of things can change over time

But the decision of putting things up on the chopping block for evaluation has to come from within because of the desire to actually make changes.

I'm not a psychologist. I suspect a lot of 🐹 handling tricks can be learned from professionals who I have not had the privilege to work with.

But over the years it has always been a surprise to discover, after things changed, how previous perception and reality were not always aligned and were not what they appeared to me to be.

Trust me I didn't even believe I was addicted to nicotine till for financial reasons as a student I started using nicotine gum and discovered that magically 20 minutes after chewing this active ingredient I no longer wanted the cigarette i previously wanted "just because it would feel good"

Or more in terms of the food how deeply I believed, while I was obese, that my mood was in no way affecting my eating. And that I just enjoyed a lot of food as opposed to engaging in episodes of significant overeating. Much of it caused by incorrect thinking about what I was doing and / or COULD do.

Desire to change and explore DIFFERENT NEW things and options is very helpful I think in 🐹 framing changes in life.

At least it was for me once I decided that the previous situation was no longer acceptable to me. And that a LOT more things were on the table for re-evaluation than just food. Work. Focus on myself. Things like that.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Hey I have tried a few of the concoctions that you and Laurie seem to like!….I tried the cauliflower rice and it was ok….I love Zuchinni in spaghetti sauce but I like real pasta better!…I am not against change!…you have to think up ways to get more food with less calories or you get hungry….I do not like being hungry….I have increased my vegetable portions and whole grains…I eat less meat…..I only eat fresh fruit….

Tonight I made Shepherd’s Pie and it was delicious….I only used 3 ounces of ground sirloin but I used lots of vegetables in it…

I wish every day was like the past few days because right now I am in a good place!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    We will find new ways to be thin, content, sated people. Who just happen to be exceptionally hot :)
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Supper tonight. Hmmm. Coming to this thread in the morning keeps me accountable. A planned day inevitably is a more successful day on the eating my best front.

The Boy will be here - so perhaps a rainbow? little gem potatoes, broccoli, some of those fun long green beans, carrots and corn maybe even some cauliflower. He actually quite enjoys an assortment of veggies. Maybe some veggie weiners on a stick?

And of course a little treat afterward :)
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I'm still looking for a decent low carb pasta recipe to try out. I've tried a few but none really tasted all that great, and for me, zoodles of various kinds just don't substitute for pasta. I can have pasta, but the hubby in his attempt to get back low carb cannot. And the vegetable pastas in the grocery stores are just as high in carbs as the regular pasta, so no bueno there.

But last grocery trip, I found something called Pastabilities which is much better on the carb front, with one serving have 17 net carbs, so I'm giving it a whirl tonight in making a marinara pasta dinner. Homemade spaghetti sauce with mushrooms and bell pepper and a jar of my canned hamburger meatballs. I'm debating on whether to bake it or not; if I can hold the calories for cheese until dinner, I can put a little parmesan and shredded cheese on it and bake it, but we will see how I do.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    It takes a little more time and is less convenient for me but I cook husband regular pasta and I like pieces of thin sliced Zuchinni with sauce….I have two small sauce pans and I make our marinara separately….

Tonight we are having chicken tenders fried in 1 T. of olive oil ( no breading ), fresh asparagus with grated Parmesan, and sweet potatoes…. Dessert will be a large mug of coffee and a Pamela’s Anytime chocolate coconut oatmeal cookie….

I feel so good being back on a healthy diet…
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    @bmeadows380 - I think this could serve you well? I'm aiming for grain free more than low carb - so I'm not sure how good the carb numbers look for you. But I have really enjoyed this spaghetti. Lots of protein too! It has a nice feeling of chew like al dente pasta - with a flavourful sauce I thought it was quite fine.

https://livivafoods.com/products/organic-soybean-spaghetti
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Low carb pasta that TASTES and FEELS the **SAME** does not exist. Not that I've ever found it.

What exists is SUBSTITUTES that either can be appreciated FOR WHAT THEY ARE. Or tolerated because some other aspect of the meal is of greater interest to you.

NOT LOW CARB. But low calorie and appreciated for what it is on it's own, would be, FOR ME, things such as the spiralized beetroot pasta. OR the zucchini pasta you mentioned you're turning down. butternut spirals and frenched green beans introduced to me by Laurie I've actually thoroughly enjoyed for what they are.

Nice, filling, sauce delivery vehicles that also hit my veggie goodness quota, and that I can appreciate as tasty and low cal and will let me enjoy the rest of the experience.

I believe that the konjac noodles in terms of NET carbs will be incredibly low. they will not taste the same as pasta. But they are taste "neutral" and provide an "interesting" mouth feel especially if you tilt the food towards asian. The commercial ones are a bit too expensive for regular use though I suspect that if you started from the root flour it would be a zero cost item. Again though... it is a "filler" item. Not a taste item.

Basically pasta is one of the things that a low carber has to be willing to compromise on. Or else low carb will end up not working long term. This would be the chopping block decision for me: instead of a single meal a different food item might have to be made for the individual participants--Alexandra style.

What **I** would do if I were sitting there with you planning this dinner, is that I wouldn't do pasta. I would use cauliflower rice (or mixed veggie diced rice which is more colorful) and relatively taste neutral and just as good or better a delivery vehicle for sauce as the pasta.

You can bake the "rice" just like you can pasta. You can have the same sauces on your "rice". Sure, you're not using your spoon and fork and twirling... but you're getting sauce on delivery mechanism :wink: And I don't think that you're going to get much better substitution on low carb diets.

And I would DEFINITELY investigate the dual option hinted at by Connie. I almost always, when making things for dad, end up putting at the very least 2/3 of the real rice in with 1/3 of the veggies for him and the reverse ratio for myself. Or I go 100% veggies for me. Or add some pasta to his beets.

When he whines as to why I am cooking different things instead of the same.... I admit, I have ONLY SOMETIMES answered diplomatically! :naughty:

For keto and hubby, don't forget that he still needs a deficit to lose; BUT, he does have a higher caloric baseline than you do.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I agree with separate modifications when cooking for two - or more. For example today we had fish tacos. I made a vinaigrette Cole slaw. Hubby added mayo to his. We both had the Xtreme brand low carb tortillas (50cals). I had plain cooked shrimp in mine. Hubby had breaded fish filets. Added some salsa verde. Takes a little planning but we were both happy.
    However I do recall the challenge of making meals for mom when she was living with us. All that made her happy were over boiled heavy German meals. Hubby didn’t like heavy German dinners. So often I was preparing three separate meals several times a day. Like PAV, many times I was less than diplomatic!
    I still marvel at Alexandra’s ability to craft separate meals for four people without throwing plates at them.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    @bmeadows380 - I think this could serve you well? I'm aiming for grain free more than low carb - so I'm not sure how good the carb numbers look for you. But I have really enjoyed this spaghetti. Lots of protein too! It has a nice feeling of chew like al dente pasta - with a flavourful sauce I thought it was quite fine.

https://livivafoods.com/products/organic-soybean-spaghetti

I appreciate the suggestion, but my husband is trying to avoid soy because of the estrogen that soy has in it. There's a lot of debate on whether it actually raises a man's levels or not, but he's already been diagnosed and put on medication for high levels as it is, so he doesn't want to take chances.

But I am happy to report the pastabilities pasta was a success! Surprisingly very filling, too. So now lets hope that our local store keeps selling it! lol
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Good work on finding substitutes B 👍. I’ll definitely look for the buttercup squash in the stores.
    Gardening is pretty much out for us here. Too hot, dry and bad rocky soil. I tried amending soil and raised beds when we first moved to Texas. But between the pests and intense heat it became a chore rather than pleasurable. Not to mention having to water at least twice a day.

Ultimately what grew probably cost way more and tasted worse than quality store bought. If I dared leave town for a few days ever shriveled and promptly died.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Now B-this is awesome stuff.

Buttercup squash sounds like something that I would light up with! I will look for it too but I think the only place I would find it is when travelling in the Okanagan when you go through some of the places that have hundreds of varieties of squash that were locally grown! See the growing bit that you do should be downright wonderful in terms of having supplies to plan your menus. Maybe even too wonderful for me... but I can only marvel from afar! :smile:

Is hubby trying to eat actual keto, lower carb, or avoid triggering carbs? If keto is it making a difference to him in terms of satiety vs lower carb?

Avoiding triggering carbs was definitely in the cards for myself early on till I got to a point of trusting myself to be able to maintain a deficit in their presence and that did take quite a long while. I would say that it was a good couple of years before I regularly started eating things such as noodles again

Ultimately in my, ongoing, great exploration of what good stuff can I fit in my budget, I definitely gave a lot of power to logging and "swaps" and preferences that evolved over time.

Yoolie: I am going to assume that you somehow ended up in Texas because of hubby being stationed there at some point of time or because of work. But it doesn't SOUND as if you ever took it in as your most favourite place to live! Did you guys decide to stay there because at the time you had grown tired of moving from place to place? I know that multiple moves, even in the same town, early on made me very reluctant to move unless forced to!
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    There we’re several reason for staying in Texas. It was hubby’s last assignment before retirement from military after 24 years. But military retirement at 44 years of age won’t pay the bills so he began a second career. Also son was in second year of high school and we didn’t want disrupt him again. And we were caring for and supporting my mom. Then hubby settled into a second career, I went to graduate school and got a good job, son’s college expenses, mom aging, made some good friends.... the mere thought of packing it all up and starting over!
    After a while it became home. But there’s a lot I miss about being closer to family back east, temperate climate, still feel transplanted after 30 years.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    goods and bads, right! and without rhymes with OVID, you can even travel! :hushed:
  • PAV8888
    edited April 2022
    Options
    Lunch was cleanup of the yellow wax and long green beans in tomato that I made DAYS ago -- FREE FOOD! I had ALREADY logged the whole recipe, so FREE, right?!?!!?!?!?!?! :lol: -- and a 300g pouch (299, but I'll be generous and log 300g instead :blush: ) of Dal Makrani advertised at 260 Cal by my friends at MTR. And a 30g (before toasting) piece of toast from the dog's stash of (fiber added) "wonder bread" :hushed:

Hmm.... did I keep them separate or did I allow them to touch? I wonder Connie... I wonder! :naughty:

PS: surprisingly... whatever it was that I did... I would do it again. It actually didn't turn out bad at all!

PS#2: Liars, liars, pants on fire. So these goobers have written on their pack 130 Cal per 150g, so that's 260 per pouch. But, I've found older stuff of theirs that puts the 300g pouch to 408Cal which is essentially the same as the NCCDB database value for Dal Makhrani generically. And of course (on cronometer it is obvious when the value comes from USDA or NCCDB), I prefer to use NCCDB/USDA values since they have all the micros and are not making extra money by shading the truth. So I suspect they INTENDED to change their box to say 130Cal per 100g (so 390--within a 5% of the 408 so "allowed lie")... but flubbed the 150-->100 change.

Anyway. Logged as 407. Liars.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    I could eat the beans in a separate dish from the sauce, right?