WaistAways Team Chat - APRIL 2022

Replies

• PlaneMonkey
    PlaneMonkey Posts: 568 Member
    I slept wrong and gave myself a kink in my neck so all my motivations to exercise have turned into motivations to nap. I'm trying to convince myself that I should get out of bed. It's so warm and comfy. There's still a couple of things on the to-do list I could accomplish today.... But it's so warm and comfy.....

D'oh!
  • SatanLuciferJones
    SatanLuciferJones Posts: 115 Member
    CW 155.1 lbs
  • eggfreak
    eggfreak Posts: 681 Member
    Back to work, time to get back on track. Cat woke me so early I have loads of time to prep 4 great salads.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,030 Member
    Happy Tuesday!

The ground is all white out there. I think I'll clean the fridge. I love snow, but this is the sloppy stuff with mud underneath. I'll just let it melt in peace.

Tuesdays are always good days for questions. So far in April, 10 team members have put on a bit of weight, and 14 have lost. I think it is time for all of us to step up to help improve that ratio by the end of the month. Most of those gains are fairly small, and it is doable to get back into the green.

What helps break a stuck streak? We have seen some great examples here. @eggfreak springs to mind. Sylvia was stuck for a good while and is now leading the team for this month. Proof that it is possible!! Share some ideas, including things that do not work. Give a hand to a team member who might need some encouragement. New and crazy strategies, old tried and trues - whatever you've got :smiley:
  • PlaneMonkey
    This neck pain is kicking my butt. When I finally got out of bed yesterday I was convinced to go outside immediately and help with the last of the yard work so alas there was no hot pad on my neck until I was back indoors. We have an electric heat pad that I've worn for most of the day and I've been rolling my shoulder and neck with a lacrosse ball against a door frame as much as I can stand. Sneezing is excruciating. I'm hopeful this will ease soon.
    We don't have snow accumulation here, just wet slush and mixed precipitation so the motivation to go outside is null. I had great losses on the scale and did lots of exercise last week but things have tipped back the other way a bit more than intended with Sunday dinner/Monday leftovers and this neck pain. I'm going to be very conscious of my portion size at dinner to do my best to stay in the green for tomorrow. I still have 1.5 weeks left in my personal challenge to make it down below 190 by 'boat launch day'. That's my tried and true method. I need a short term motivator like an event or a reward to keep myself logging consistently and staying away from the red wine.
    Last year I used a bathing suit as a motivator, this year is the boat. Next event I'd like to use as a push will be the last weekend of May when extended family I haven't seen in years will come to Ottawa for a gathering to remember my dad. There will be a lot of gardening etc to do at my mother's house before the event so that should help me burn some calories.
  • jugar
    @PlaneMonkey I hope your neck gets better soon - those are a horrible drag. The sneezing thing is the worst! Your motivation-by-event is a good method, and I think you are right to make them short term. When the timeline is too long, it is hard to keep up the momentum. Even with a long one, having specific milestone goals along the way is helpful.

My fridge is clean! Part of the cleaning was finding the last batch of apple filling I made last fall hiding in the freezer. It has now been thawed, covered with buckwheat spice topping, and is deliciously cooling off in the kitchen. I had a very restrained dinner so I can have some - it smells amazing.
  • conleywoods
    conleywoods Posts: 975 Member
    @jugar Oh dear...I definitely fall into the gain category lately! I have been having such a hard time getting it all together. I get parts of things going but not enough things to make a difference. I think I just keep trying to go back to where I was in September. But September was a very long time ago. I can't just jump back to that routine. I need to baby step my way back up to that level again. I don't want to take baby steps! I want to take big huge steps...but I just keep falling on my face. Humph🙄

I have a consultation with a wellness coach this Thursday. We have had some phone conversations already. I am 90% sure we will starting working together. Just need to confirm she is a good fit in person. I will do an inbody scan which looks at muscle mass, fat and visceral fat ratios. Should be interesting. I told my husband I have been having a hard time and I just need some help. My husband took a lot of my attention this past school year. He needed it and I would do it again in a heart beat. But there were definitely some negative effects for me. Luckily my husband is in a better work situation and will most likely interview and see what else is out there. Now it's my turn to focus on my needs again. I'd be lying if I didn't admit I am a bit in mourning for the ground I gave up this year. It makes me mad and sad but I just have to put the work in again.
  • PlaneMonkey
    @conleywoods it really does suck when it feels like you're starting from farther back than where you were but you have learned so much on your journey that you will have those losses again! I can't wait to see your stats show up on my feed of 30 minutes of 'ballet beautiful', etc. Glad things with your husband's job are settling so you can balance the focus more back to your needs. The give and take is what good relationships are made of. I look forward to learning more about the wellness coach process. Hope it gives you focus.
  • jugar
    hugs to you @conleywoods :heart: Pick one thing and don't call it baby steps! Call it the most important thing. The top priority. The thing you are going to stick with no matter what. I look forward to hearing about your wellness coach session - but with or without that, I can hear your commitment and energy returning!

Who is up for sending in numbers? Wednesday people!
    @PlaneMonkey
    @AshenMoon
    @KellyBgetsFit

Still due through today -
    @Terytha
    @Kali225

Thanks!
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,127 Member
    @PlaneMonkey Boy that neck pain sounds brutal! Glad your short term boat goal is keeping you focused, but I can appreciate how hard pain is to work through.

@jugar The snow has come here too! It's thick, and the commute home was a pain. Tomorrow morning should be similar!

@conleywoods Wellness coach sounds interesting for sure.. can't wait to hear what you think. I'm definitely interested in some of those body scan types of things... I love data!

4/17 exercise: 11651 steps + 46 minutes Peloton
    4/18 exercise: 9096 steps + 47 minutes Peloton

Breaking a stuck streak:
    Not overcomplicating things. I think when the scale isn't budging or when things are creeping up it's easy to panic and start trying to adjust too many things. Sometimes that gets in your own way.
    Know your process and have methods of sticking to it no matter what gets in the way. Have nice to have habits, and essentials. Prioritize yourself.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 651 Member
    @PlaneMonkey I hope your neck is feeling better today.
    jugar wrote: »
    What helps break a stuck streak? We have seen some great examples here. @eggfreak springs to mind. Sylvia was stuck for a good while and is now leading the team for this month. Proof that it is possible!! Share some ideas, including things that do not work. Give a hand to a team member who might need some encouragement. New and crazy strategies, old tried and trues - whatever you've got :smiley:

For me, starting/doing it now, instead of putting it off. No 'waiting until Monday' or 'just one more..'. I could find reasons to procrastinate indefinitely if I allowed myself to do so! As soon as I start seeing the number dropping on the scales my motivation is up and I get a big boost of motivation and can-do attitude about it. I know the 'one perfect day' is mentioned a lot, but if you weigh in daily like I do, that one day is enough to get things kick started. I'm realising it has to be a day, and not a meal, because it's in between meals that I fall over.
    @jugar Oh dear...I definitely fall into the gain category lately! I have been having such a hard time getting it all together. I get parts of things going but not enough things to make a difference. I think I just keep trying to go back to where I was in September. But September was a very long time ago. I can't just jump back to that routine. I need to baby step my way back up to that level again. I don't want to take baby steps! I want to take big huge steps...but I just keep falling on my face. Humph🙄

I have a consultation with a wellness coach this Thursday. We have had some phone conversations already. I am 90% sure we will starting working together. Just need to confirm she is a good fit in person. I will do an inbody scan which looks at muscle mass, fat and visceral fat ratios. Should be interesting. I told my husband I have been having a hard time and I just need some help. My husband took a lot of my attention this past school year. He needed it and I would do it again in a heart beat. But there were definitely some negative effects for me. Luckily my husband is in a better work situation and will most likely interview and see what else is out there. Now it's my turn to focus on my needs again. I'd be lying if I didn't admit I am a bit in mourning for the ground I gave up this year. It makes me mad and sad but I just have to put the work in again.

The first part of your post is something I could've written. This time last year I was ON IT and now, I'm about 2kg higher than I said my highest weight was allowed to be this year - and about 5.5kg heavier than I was on this day in 2021. I like Jugar's advice of just picking the most important thing - but we would call it a 'must win battle' at work. I'm going to write down my must win battles (and a maximum of 3 for the rest of the month), then find an action for each of them.

The thing about the wellness coach sounds really interesting. I'm glad you can now lean on your husband for support and have your turn to focus on yourself. Life definitely seems to chop and change like this as a couple/family.

My manic long weekend is over. I left home at 6.30am yesterday, dropped off and built some furniture at Mum's, then spent 10-4 decluttering my Grandma's attic before getting my hair done (it's purple, I love it!) then having tea with a good friend. Finally got home about 11pm, then was in a meeting at 7.45 this morning... I am a can of energy drink down and it's just gone 12.40pm. I don't have them often at all now, maybe one every couple of months, but I like to finish them early so it can wear off long before bed. I've not been overly hungry though, and whilst the energy drink has calories I have only had a cereal bar this morning, so that's an improvement on my recent snacking!

Admittedly it looked better with the hairdresser's styling last night :D

gnwnd2v2hzb8.jpg

I've also had a chiropractor session this morning which I was grateful for as I've had quite a few headaches over the weekend, stemming from a sore neck and tension in the jaw. He said he could feel my lymph nodes and to keep an eye on them, but they tie in with the tiredness and general congestion I've been feeling. Interestingly, as well as some massage he used a laser thingy on me so I'm looking forward to see what that does. I did feel better when leaving.

Planning to take it a bit easier this evening but the weather is gorgeous so I want to go for a walk, and I shall declutter at least one basket of the stuff from our bedroom (there are 3 total). The room does look more spacious, but we have nothing hiding the many holes in the walls now and I don't think it'll be long before I'm asking the plasterer for a quote which in turn means more decorating...
  • AshenMoon
    AshenMoon Posts: 157 Member
    Cw: 229
    A pound down after gaining four doesn't feel great but I'm rolling with it. I've been pretty stressed lately, and of course having been feeling like I want to eat everything haha
  • PlaneMonkey
    I did not get the job.
    The feelings of worthlessness are definitely real

The modern day job hunt is the worst! Don't let the process define or defeat you. You will find something that will be the right fit. Hugs flying your way
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,127 Member
    4/19 exercise:
    9597 steps + 46 minutes Peloton
This discussion has been closed.