Thoughts, Epiphanies, Insights, & Quotables

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,598 Member
    Oh I hope, Bella.
    I thought I had a good handle on things - alas, it has all started slipping away. There is one (significant I hope) difference this time. I'm staying here, and trying to figure out a workable solution - despite "losing" the eating battle most days.
    That resolve/willpower/determination/motivation are all built on sand - they pale into insignificance next to enjoyment, curiosity and making the process as easy and painless as possible....
    Somewhere I want to insert "survival instincts" though the context might not be quite right because I'm blending two aspects into one? Maybe something along the lines of:

That resolve/willpower/determination/motivation are all built on sand - they pale into insignificance next to inherent survival instincts and possible food addictions and their importance on the weight loss/healthy weight management journey pales into insignificance next to enjoyment, curiosity and making the process easy and painless as possible....

Everyday I too learn a little more that I can put in my arsenal for future.

Everyday I appreciate myself a bit more rather than simply loathe myself for screwing up.

Hopefully that will = success. Perhaps success will look different than what I expect? I don't know. I'm a student still. :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    edited May 2022
    So, as is normal, we are diverging a bit. But it's all good :smiley:

Laurie do remember that I only have n=1, myself, as an experimental participant, plus the people I hear about on the boards. Plus some level of personal involvement, observation, investment, and care.

Professionals do have more resources they can tap and personally see a wider variety of people. But they are probably less personally invested/involved. And may have professional limits or guidelines to what they can tackle.

Anyway.

One observation I made many many years ago was the number of people who are strong, strong willed, and determined and who swear they will never regain the weight they lost at hard cost. And yet.... right?

So were they all week willed? Somehow, knowing some of them as the definition of stubborn -- no they were not.

Therefore, 🤔, there must be something going on that can overwhelm the most stubborn of the stubborn 🐹s.

Some light reading later, the 🐹😎 team concluded that there must be hormones and neurotransmitters! Perturbed and out of whack. Remember teenagers? You don't control hormones, they control you and you might barely influence!

The rest became improv on how to balance results (which require a deficit) with least out of whackness and perturbing of said hormones and neurotransmitters to reduce impetus for rebound and survive one, then two, then three, then five years.

There is some protection and suppression even some feel good so we can continue to function while losing.

So I'm all in for taking it down at a semi reasonable rate (and I still believe your tdee determines your safe rate) as long as your body is cooperating.

But after that you have to play the fish on your line and slowly work your weight towards normal and maintenance.

The analogy breaks because big movements are definitely not wanted during that phase.... flatten the curve. Act immediately but with the smallest reasonable intervention to reverse.

I blew up three real lbs (unlikely, but ok) over the three day holiday. fine. We will proceed with a 150 Cal a day 66 to 90 day plan to fix!🐹🤔

Garfield. You're still at a small deficit physiologically. I honestly do not think this is a bad spot for you. By hook and by crook we will keep you at a splat state and play for time till most people you meet will not even know you were ever obese. The more embedded the new state. The more tools you have. The more good it is!

Remember my downstairs with the baklava? They don't/ didn't really believe that I was showing them real pictures. They thought it was a relative.

Laurie too. You're not describing something that has never happened to most of us. I really like your plan to set a small deficit to aim for. But maybe a touch of panic to stop any upswings? Instead of logging after, how about logging before you eat it? Will it make it awkward to overeat with friends who are offering you yummy foods and outings? YES, it will!!!!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    But I like instant gratification!….
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited May 2022
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    One observation I made many many years ago was the number of people who are strong, strong willed, and determined and who swear they will never regain the weight they lost at hard cost. And yet.... right?

Been there got the t-shirt. And that, right there, is why I will never, ever again say 'I will never be obese ever again.' That level of self-assurance/confidence/optimism/complacency/hubris....gone forever. I absolutely think I could be back above 95kgs one day. All it takes is one long, sustained slide, of which I am a past-master.

The best I can hope for is to use these precious months of feeling in control wisely. To use them to firmly embed as many positive habits and behaviours as I can; to build and reinforce my support networks; to learn and understand my triggers; to put in place layer upon layer upon layer of safety nets - the people/habits/strategies that will dependably attempt to arrest my slide and support me while I'm flailing...

Remember teenagers? You don't control hormones, they control you and you might barely influence!

Yeah, but don't forget that teenagers were a 1950s invention. As my mother never tired of telling me, when she was a girl youngsters weren't "allowed" hormones. Moodiness? Surliness? Cheek? You should be so lucky.... one sour face and you'd feel the back of grandad's hand...

Folks of my ma's generation would say we're too soft these days. We need to show those 🐹🐹🐹 who's boss... I can just hear my mother: You acted badly why exactly? 'Cos you were controlled by anarchistic guerilla rodents? That's why you couldn't help yourself? Yeah, right. Good luck telling that to the hanging judge... :wink:

Now I'm not saying I agree with mom (you absolutely don't want to hear her views on PTSD, ADHD, panic attacks, gender fluidity, autism to name just a handful of areas where her views were out of the dark ages - all shades of 'attention-seeking' according to mom...)...but I am arguing a little that we are NOT mere marionettes dancing to the tune of rodent puppeteers. We have choices. We have tools. We CAN attain mastery....
  • PAV8888
    I'm a chicken 🐹.
    Like you, even today, I don't claim it is impossible.
    I would like to make it impossible.
    Hence the layers, onions, rearguards, backups, and still...

So being more of a 🐔 or is it 🐓 🐹, I would rather NOT test the battle of the subconscious/unconscious. I see how many calories I can down when cold and tired and/or agitated or discombobulated especially at 4:00am!🐹

The less fuel behind that... the better!

But, I would also not call myself disciplined ever.

So I don't doubt that there's a level of 🐹 management that I can only aspire to. Funnily enough it is always girls that have that!!!😘😎
  • Bella_Figura
    Have you never contemplated being tucked up in bed, warm, snug and snoring at 4am?

Maybe therein lies at least a part of the solution to your undisciplined 🐹🐹🐹s.

Is there any work-related reason why you MUST stay awake into the early hours? Do you work nights? Or am I just being horrendously insensitive because you suffer from chronic insomnia? If so, I apologise. I've never heard you mention insomnia, so I'm not being deliberately offensive. I'd consider myself a night owl, but 4am seems a tad unusual for those that have a choice...
  • lauriekallis
    Instead of logging after, how about logging before you eat it?

On my good days - that is what I do. Or at least I choose a meal that I have logged so many times I know I have a handle on it.

Getting back into the swing of things after COVID times/surgery armlessness, there is so much more pressure and so much more work that, as is usually the case with self-employed work from home people, hasn't not done me any favours. It is always feast or famine - and right now is "feast" but some days there isn't enough time to breath. I will adapt though.

Putting that time aside for meal prep is really important. The pulling stuff from the freezer doesn't seem as effective for me - the too quick meal doesn't seem to sink is as well as the meal that comes as a result of some time spent preparing/cooking. More of that mystery that I would do better to acknowledge and integrate into my day rather than questioning the logic of it :)

You, PAV, and this group, help tremendously!
  • PAV8888
    edited May 2022
    I Minister to the needs of unruly and recalcitrant Turing machine inspired devices

The needs of their hamsters 🐹 are better met when there's no people around, unless of course it is the people who are calling because of their own failed relationships with the devices. Technically it's a candle and it has two ends.... and a muddle or was that middle 😡🤬😘

I'm sure that a smart girl would shoehorn both my time management feet into one shoe... but since the one who selected me is far away I get to stray and stare at a mouse and click away till just this one more thing finishes 🤔🤣😹

It's really the worse if at a site, in winter, where heating has been turned down, and driving back early morning. That's usually 3000 Cal 🤷🏻‍♂️🤬

Most of the time I can remote, but then reefer pup swats me and insists that every 24 hours she gets to go out no matter what even if morning pre rush hour is starting! 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,812 Member
    Time to work out how to be near the smart girl. Can’t let opportunity for self improvement pass you by?❣️
  • Bella_Figura
    Well said Yooly.

Time waits for no one....
  • PAV8888
    Hey Garfield since you're up you get a quarter vote equal to grumpy as to which route we will drive! Down to Lethbridge and then crowsnest pass and number three towards Vancouver, or up towards Calgary and number one?

The other thing is way too complicated since it involves established lives and people not necessarily willing to leave and not yet retired plus more than 32 hours flying per trip
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,812 Member
    Ain’t no mountain high enough, ain’t no valley low enough....
  • lauriekallis
    Ain't no ocean deep enough....

I vote Crowsnest Pass!
  • Bella_Figura
    Crows nest pass gets my vote too, just because I love the name.
  • Bella_Figura
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    If I was an athlete in training no one would question my eating habits. But somehow trying to maintain weight or be healthier is considered frivolous and quirky. It’s not considered a serious problem and something to be ignored socially. Would you ask someone with a peanut allergy to try just one? Or urge a diabetic to load up on sweets?

Reminds me of a funny-ish story.

Back in 2016 my best friend was pretty ill for a while and they ran loads of tests during a week-long hospital stay....turns out she had gallstones, which was what was causing her nausea and heart-attack symptoms. But they also diagnosed her with T2 diabetes and coeliac disease....so a dietary double whammy. She had her gallbladder removed, completely cleaned up her eating habits and lost about 30kg...which loss she has maintained for over 5 years now.

Couple of weeks ago she went to her GP and in the course of general chat she mentioned her diabetes and coeliac disease. He looked puzzled and said he didn't recall that from her records...and she said to me: 'And I suddenly thought oh *kitten*, of course I don't really have diabetes and coeliac!'

So she had to 'fess up to her GP that she's been telling everyone - including her husband! And me, her best friend! - for SIX WHOLE YEARS that she's diabetic and coeliac when really she isn't. For the reasons alluded to by Yooly - so no one would keep trying to force sweet things / baked goods on her when she'd already politely declined them. She said it was just so much easier to say she had medical conditions than to constantly explain that she was trying to improve her diet.

Thing I found most interesting was that she said she told the GP she was diabetic/coeliac because she'd told the fib so many times that it had become truth for her. She'd literally managed to lie successfully to herself!

I found that so fascinating....that, if you tell yourself a lie enough times -with absolute conviction - and reinforce that lie with the lifestyle changes that shore up that lie...that you can convince yourself it's the truth.

I say it's a funny-ish story because I thought it was wholly funny until I remembered the sweat and tears I'd poured into meals over the years to accommodate her diabetes and gluten intolerance...
  • PAV8888
    Yup. I'm aware. Even more so than front loading calories to the day. Both things I don't do.
  • lauriekallis
    This comes as no surprise. Too bad that a good sleep takes so long!
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    edited May 2022
    Interesting thoughts Bella. I think that really depends on an individual’s definition of health since I imagine we all have our own thoughts and feelings around what that means based on life experience and values.

For example, I don’t see a world where I could be “healthy” if living in an urban area. I place a high value on things within my environment that are primarily out of my control — assurances of clean air, lack of noise and light pollution, for example. Seeking those things are within my control and something I sought as soon as I was on my own. However, I opted for things like lower pay and fewer upward career movement opportunities, in order to walk out my door every morning to fill my lungs with fresh air and “touch grass” every day. This does come with trade offs though things like: over an hour drive to medical care that I have confidence in, limited availability of consumables /groceries (one full service grocery store with 45 minutes)… ultimately less instant gratification and variety in life for lack of a better reference.

In an urban area, I could do all the active habits to be healthy - eat right, exercise, etc. and have greater access to services that’d help adapt the more human biological need but feel like losing the piece of mind I get from my environment would outweigh them. If I hit a point in life where a significant problem forced an environmental change, I’d have to do a lot of soul searching.