Thoughts, Epiphanies, Insights, & Quotables

Options

Replies

• Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean, NSG! I too live in a rural environment, and find the peace, quiet and starry night skies absolutely essential for my quality of life and peace of mind. The trade offs are worth it to me...but then again, I live in England where nowhere in the entire United Kingdom is more than a few dozen miles from a small town. Our concept of the back of beyond is on a completely different register to that of the USA/Canada/Australia etc...
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I have almost always lived in a town or a city….we loved living in Key West, and we loved living in Las Vegas….I think at times we need different things in our lives….when we moved to the Keys we needed the quiet and relaxed atmosphere….when we moved to busy and exciting Las Vegas, we were ready for excitement and the hustle and bustle of city life…very few people have the luxury of living where they want to or doing what they want to with their lives…sad but true…we make the best decisions we can at the time we make them….jobs, children, parents,friends and family, other responsibilities take priority over what we would like to be doing ourselves!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    In a "chopping" post a while back I mentioned job as one of the things that had gone on the block but ultimately not chopped. I had considered mail and/or other deliveries on foot and/or jobs that required movement and lifting.

Ultimately no changes were made and happy!
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    1m2fzmhunzkn.png
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/may/05/vegan-diet-can-help-overweight-people-shed-pounds-study-shows

They're suggesting there's a causal link, though I can think of at least five reasons why the link may not exist. I also personally know three vegans who struggle with their weight....but even so, our lovely Laurie may be onto something....
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Saw this too and is Interesting and quite a big study ….. would be a big change here! Old man here is a carnivour through & through…. Personally I would like to go veggie, not vegan though 🙃
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Sounds great, Bella.

I spent the first 20ish years of my career (also known as my former life because it feels surreal at times) doing things most people will only dream about or see on something like the Discovery Channel. I hiked, boated, flew, etc with my office on my back into remote areas to study animal behavior and their habitats for days, weeks or even months on end; calling a tent home. I’ve done so many amazing things and witness natures true beauty over and over again while receiving a paycheck. I can’t even begin to fathom the number of miles I’ve hiked in remote wilderness, time repelling into remote areas, calories burned swimming/snorkeling, lbs carried on my back.

While physically and mentally the healthiest I ever was, it also came with a lot of injuries, contributed to my current situation, etc. I wouldn’t trade it for anything though and still get giddy each year with the prospect of getting to dawn the backpack, lace up my boots, and spend the day with the newest crop of biologists headed out into the back country.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Various studies, including from my favourite dude Kevin Hall, whole foods and all that jazz for the win! Cause.. who would have guessed: people eat less calories on average if they consume whole foods!

And no, it's not because of KHEMICALS in the food, sorry. But it absolutely IS about prepared food usually aiming for look, taste, cost (to manufacturer and to consumer) with very little consideration to calories and satiation.

Yes. There ARE vegans who consume too many calories. But it IS a bit harder to do. AND. Any time you introduce inhibition (Vegan, Gluten free, Low Carb, Low Sodium) you not only exclude a bunch of "high calorie "treats"" but you also introduce some extra inhibition and second thought about what is getting eaten as opposed to just opening mouth and consuming... here's looking at you bag of effing cookies!

(bag of cookies used to be 1.5kg three days ago... it is down to 0.5 BUT. 0.5 DID get delivered downstairs :wink: ) So... 200g to me and 300g to dad the past couple of days! Ugh. COOKIES! If I was vegan I wouldn't be eating them!:blush:
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,614 Member
    Options
    If you were vegan - you could be eating vegan cookies. Those are not hard to find. Sadly, many mass produced cookies are vegan.
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Vegan white wine & “cheese” sauce for pasta - olive oil, onion, garlic, white wine, blended butter beans, blended cashews, nutrtional yeast, taragon & bay leaves - was suprisingly delicious! Nutritional yeast was something totally new to me!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Nutritional yeast is kick kitten. Cashews for cheese ... The calories don't inspire me!
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    So - back from visiting family in Ohio. No logging, no control over foods served, many restaurants. I’m down 2 lbs. from pre-trip! 🤔 so what is going on here?

I think it’s the lack of access to “just a little more” and snacking. Snacking has been a problem previously. I’m okay at meals but the extras add up. You can’t get snacks late night at a hotel or raid your sister’s pantry at midnight. Getting to goal will have to be done by controlling the snacking!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Welcome back, Yooly! Great outcome :) Yes - home seems the most dangerous place for packing on weight.
  • Yoolypr
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Yup - snacking. And the bites, licks and tastes while cooking or eating at home. No spoon licking! Perhaps I’ll avoid the kitchen altogether and wait to be served. I don’t know how Alexandra does all the cooking and prepping without nibbling on a full day’s calories before the actual meal.
    I don’t have much leeway for adding tasting calories because my activity level is much lower now. Hope that’s going to be temporary.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Fingers crossed re temporary. Good that you managed the trip 🐹 extremely well! 👍
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Tasting while preparing is one habit I do not have…
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Tasting while preparing is one habit I do not have…

Wow! I know people like you that can do that. But I’m not one of them. 😣 I could eat a full serving adjusting seasonings. I don’t know why! My best strategy has been avoiding cooking or even being in the kitchen when food is out.
    Luckily hubby enjoys cooking and food shopping so he has taken over most kitchen duties.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I'm with you on this one, Connie. I'm not a taster (to the my guests chagrin maybe? :) ) And the act of cooking - handling and prepping all that food leaves me feeling quite full when it comes time to eat! Very ironic. Perhaps I should be a chef?