Thoughts, Epiphanies, Insights, & Quotables

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    Now we have to snoop out the nameless one's address and order her a set! Though I'm guessing they might end up in the garage and the nameless one will be quite annoyed with us <3
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,843 Member
    Options
    I’ve thought a lot about the journey in losing weight. One thing that is so helpful is being acknowledged and having ones efforts recognized by others who are sharing similar goals. Often weight loss is a lonely road.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    Nah! I'm just here for the bunnies! :wink:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Weight loss is a lonely road - but at least you wake up with that sense of WOOHOO...I'm gonna weigh myself and feel good most mornings. That maintenance road is lonely and no WOOHOO. Then there is the I'm regaining road - lonely and I can't get out of bed and face myself, the scale, the mirror.

If I can find it again - I might just have to stay on the weightloss road for the rest of my life. :D so I guess I'll have to make it a very very very slow trajectory. Might have to switch from Kilos to grams? Should take me the rest of my life to hit goal at a few grams a week.

I was joking - but maybe that is what it is going to take.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Well.... I can definitely vouch that if I were to get on a scale tomorrow in a few hours... I would give you a run for your money! Townhouse flipside pretzels (way earlier... but still there)? AND knorr based soup with frozen shrimp (packed in sodium solution), AND Cherry Garcia! Oh my! By the way... does anyone know what a single serve of Ben and Jerry's looks like? Yeah. You're right. It sure ain't the 188ml "portion" on the label by the time you level out that ice cream!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Keep it up Garfield, keep it up! I need company ya know. And fresh ideas and perspectives❣️
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,819 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good approach to think of yourself as always in weight maintenance. In the past, many of my problems with maintenance arose from the fact that I had the mindset that the hard bit was over and that it was smooth sailing ahead. I'd crossed the finish line and the race was over.

Using the analogy of cycling...
    • Track cyclists go full gas, powering into the red/black for 2-15 minutes, then collapse in a heap once they've crossed the finish line, with nothing left in the tank
    • Cyclocross racers go at 90% full gas, with sustained spikes into the red, for 50-60 minutes
    • Mountain bike cross country olympic-distance racers go at 80% full gas, with the occasional spike into the red, for 75-90 minutes
    • Road cyclists go at 40-80% full gas, with just very occasional spikes into the red, for 4-6 hours
    • Endurance cyclists go at steady pace - rarely if ever spiking into the red - for days/weeks on end, timing their effort so that they can reach the finish point with something still left in the tank
    • Ultra-endurance cyclists go at steady pace, never spiking into the red - for months on end, measuring their effort so that they can continue indefinitely, because for them there is no real end point. They're not in a race - there's no finish line - the pleasure and the reward is in the process itself. They never empty the tank, because they know they've got to get back on the bike and repeat the process the next day..and the next day..and the next day. And they can't imagine a life without cycling...

Mentally I'm trying to get to the place where weight maintenance for me is analogous to ultra-endurance cycling. Where I enjoy it...can't imagine not doing it...miss if if I stop doing it...get a kick from seeing myself improve at it...take it steady...discover new things...hone my technique...get a buzz from being efficient...take the odd detour to do a bit of sightseeing...push myself occasionally just for the hell of it...but also go at a snail's place from time to time just because I feel like it...and don't worry that toting a coffee mug, inflatable pillow and gummy bears adds 300g to my pack weight because comfort trumps being super-lightweight.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Let's get started on the way to where you need to be Laurie :wink:
    Then as you're approaching normal weight let's move on to the mindset you're describing... :smiley:
    Then, hopefully, we'll see how to adjust beyond that!

I mean, realistically you cannot actually keep losing forever--not in an actually healthy situation. But a soft landing? That I am sure can be done! :blush:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Yes - a soft landing - and then, over time, I'll come to terms with this family of hamsters.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I know full well that I must track and control my food intake. That I am not nor ever will be an intuitive eater. But maybe it’s just me - does any else experience food fatigue?

Sometimes I am just sooo tired of having to think, plan, log, make choices about food.
    I wonder what it would be like to NOT experience this daily.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Me too, Yooly.

But. They payoff is so amazing. To feel good and feel good about yourself - because you look and feel good and because you have control.

This little pep talk is to remind myself also.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Oh the pay off is certainly worth the constant vigilance. I just get mental fatigue. It’s like having to gear up for exams every day. 🧐
  • PAV8888
    Options
    one thing I have learned is that "what works" changes as you go on with this.... So we readjust and do things a little differently, and adapt, and carry on.

@AlexandraFindsHerself1971 this is a golden statement

@Yoolypr neutral curiocity! Not hypervigilance. But experimental observation. The pot is not going to boil unexpectedly. But you do have to visit the experimental still (@janatki probably has something to contribute in terms of experimental still designs....) once in a while and check on progress and tweek some knobs...

*shut up everyone: of course I have NO *kitten* clue how a still operates. DUH! But you get what I'm saying! :lol:
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I have a few thoughts on 💦💧💧💧 and want to know what yours are please?

Sorry this’ll be a bit of a ramble! Not change there then! 🥴😉

So, water we know is good (lots of studies) for preventing weight gain in the first place, for weight loss and for also maintaining the weight!

Essential … good for kids & adults alike!

MFP recommends I drink 1,850 mls a day … NHS states adults should drink 2 litres a day.

Another nutrition app that I have come across (Cronometer) tells me I should aim for 2,700 mls per day 😯

Looking at my data - I get in 1,750 mls - some days 2,000mls, sometimes up to 2,500mls others at 1,500mls

(2,700mls OMG I remember days when I was only allowed 30 mls of water every hour for 16 hours a day & then zilch for 8 hours - would have revelled in that much then, but now that turns my stomach🤮)

Ok… back to the issue 💦…Some purists say water only 😒

I can’t do this, only time I drink pure water is if I’ve cleaned my teeth for bed!!

Then & probably only then, I’ll glug the odd glass or two in the night! 😇…Especially if experiencing any pangs of hunger 😬

… I add 100mls of Apple & Blackcurrant Squash to 900mls of water to add 16 calories to my water.

Recently, a MFPer questioned this….insinuating one should only have pure water …. I also count tea water too!

How much water do you drink in a day? Do you add owt? What do you count? All fluids or only water?
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Not sure if thi was the right place to post this… sorry if not! 🥴☺️
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,819 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options
    I worry about hydration, not water. I mistrust this modern obsession with constantly glugging water - my parents and grandparents would’ve thought we were barmy! Tea was all they ever drank...(or beer...) and it didn’t seem to do them any harm.

So I include tea, coffee, sugar-free squash, Zero electrolyte tablets dissolved in water and plain old tap water (of which I drink maybe a litre or two per day but only because I like it! Otherwise I wouldn’t force myself). But it’s ‘normal’ for me to have a glass of tap water after each dog walk and with lunch and dinner.

I don’t worry about how much I’ve had if my pee is straw-coloured. If my pee looks like Lucozade I drink more (again not fussy if hydrate with tea, coffee etc).

Some foods can also be quite fluidy, so don’t overlook those!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Living in the hot and humid south , I always have some kind of drink in my hand….my intake is usually 20 oz. Coffee,2 cans Diet Pepsi,1 large glass of unsweetened iced tea, 3 16oz bottles plain water, and a glass of low calorie Ocean Spray cranberry juice…I should probably add another bottle or two of plain water….
  • PAV8888
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Yo, NHS lady :wink: straw colored wee weeeeeeeeeeee and all is good. The rest is preference esp if you're trying to fill your tummy. There is some high exactness research as to what quantity of caffeine causes extra net loss of some of the water intake vs another... but really... all that matters is that you have enough so that your kidneys are neither starved nor necessarily on overdrive or risking hypernatremia or other mineral imbalances. And EVERYTHING counts. NET hydration. Beer -- check. Watermelon -- check. Water--check. Gin -- probably a minus with the amount used for processing but minuses count too!

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/food-guidelines-and-food-labels/water-drinks-nutrition

https://www.nursingtimes.net/clinical-archive/nutrition/measuring-and-managing-fluid-balance-15-07-2011/