Senior Golden Sneakers

Options

Replies

• Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,030 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday!😃 Another beautiful hot day in Florida. It was just me and Zack for dinner at Olive Garden as Jordan had to work. I forgot to take a picture at restaurant but Dexter was happy to share one with us at home.
    wlw56iquwyee.jpeg

Anne, sorry it is so cold, wish I could send you some heat from here. I am hoping to take some home with me.😉

Hello to everyone else and I hope you have a wonderful day.
    Sandy
    One Day at a Time
  • JillyBurg7
    JillyBurg7 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Happily home. The rains even stopped. All went well at the doctors. Keeping to the same dosage and his and my BP machines tallied. I have to go back in a month and to have the blood tests which I managed to dodge this time round.
    He had his dog with him. A VERY old dog of 16 years, but very well behaved and friendly.
    I knew I liked this doctor and now I know why. Another animal lover.
    Marks coming over soon and bringing his big pruners hopefully so I can finish the poor bush off.
    He wants to put a lot of basement discards out for the refuse boys for tomorrow. The Ms get Hobbes again for the long Victoria weekend coming up. Hobbes will be one happy puss!
    And thats me done for. Must get going whilst the sun is shining!
    Annsie.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Here it is! Thursday and we have some sun with clouds hovering on the horizon. I can see showers this afternoon. Still a bit chilly but not too bad. Here in the PNW we are also feeling climate change. As an example, the big tulip farm here has a festival each year when the fields of tulips are all in bloom. It is a glorious sight. People can come and pick as many tulip blossoms as they want. But of course the tulip farm people want to preserve the bulbs for harvesting. The festival was one month later than usual and many of the tulip varieties were barely showing color. I think there must be a website with pictures. It is called The Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm.

I see those clouds have moved in now. A shower is eminent. Maybe sun this afternoon….maybe.

We are on a schedule with Damon’s phone calls. Wednesday afternoon and Sunday late morning. I missed his call yesterday because I was getting a very unsatisfactory podiatrist exam. Our regular podiatrist has retired. We are stuck with this very unpleasant and impatient man. I will find another doctor ASAP. Foot care is extremely important to both John and me.

Must get new pullover shirts. Some long sleeve, some short sleeve. That is a hope with a certain amount of caution, summers during climate change can be brutal. These short fat legs will never fit in shorts again. The closest thing might be those cute capris pants. I can make those in a jiffy. Scissors and a whiz on the sewing machine. New capris pants! I must figure out some new social opportunities. Our days of lunching at our favorite restaurant can’t work right now. John is rightly concerned about all the Covid and variants here. But there has to be other interesting options.

Sandy: looks to me like you are having a relaxed fun time with your family and then there is that adorable Dexter. What a little superstar. You look relaxed and in good health.

Anne: that doctor sounds wonderful. He is a real keeper. Lucky you. It sounds like your health scare is being addressed and you are doing well. I suspect your outdoor work is great for you. I sound relaxed and positive. Spending time with your family is always a treat and also very good for our mental health. I love every minute spent with family, including my grumpy(at times) John.

Lin: I know this will sound quite silly but here it is…both John and I have seen odd things in the sky that defies reason. Also Damon and his sailing crew saw what they called a UFO fly by. He was serious and his crew were taken aback by the event. John and I saw the same thing at the same time. We were not dreaming! Call us crazy but we are confused. From here? From outer space?

Jackie: I have heard about your economy there in UK. I fear this is worldwide. I guess we need to pull up our boot straps and work to over come the pandemic and the new way of life afterwards. Damon has a small stockpile of rapid home tests for Covid etc. he tests before he comes to visit because of our vulnerability. We wear masks when we are out in town. More people are doing the same here now. Your garden sounds full of wonderful things. Kale isn’t my favorite but tender new leaves in a green salad could be delightful. Healthy eating and time outside will keep you younger than you are already. True fact!
    Have a super day everyone!
    Patsy☘️🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶🎶☔️🌦

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,079 Member
    Options
    Hello. Super hot today and windy. Storms will roll in later. Not looking forward to that!

I finished every little detail on the 4 cards I wanted to mail today. I drove down to the post office to buy the needed extra postage for non-machine handling. As I was driving down the street, a huge truck drove merrily at speed through the stop sign and turned the corner not seeing me at all. Luckily, I stomped the brakes really hard, things flew around in the car but I stopped before he hit me. My car made some noise as I did that and he did finally notice me.

Staying home is not a bad thing!

I am starting to work on my 4th of July cards again. So far, it is not working out as I had hoped. Must make more adjustments or forget this altogether and try something else!

Anne, I am glad your appointment went well. How wonderful that your doctor had his lovely dog with him. Good luck with the bush!

Patsy, great idea to get some options in your wardrobe for the ever changing weather. After we get through this hot snap and storms, it will turn unseasonably cold again. Wonder if there’s any chance things will stabilize a bit when we hit June?

Sandy, another lovely day with your grand-dog. He is a cutie for sure! You will miss him when you return to Illinois.

Hello Barbie, Jackie, Diane, Joy, Connie and all Sneakers I may have missed. Be safe.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

uj8o4jyaqzgg.jpeg

• jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Hello sneakers. Our temperatures go from very warm to very cold so I’m thinking I must check to see what the jet stream is up to. I know we Brits like to talk about the weather but at the moment everyone comments on our unseasonably cold wind, especially on the moors where there’s little shelter. Yesterday I bumped into a dog walker I’d not seen in months and we stood chatting while our dogs wandered close by until, from behind some gorse bushes, a line of cattle with their fluffy, dumpy calves came in our direction. We called the dogs to us then had to step off the path as more and more of the gentle creatures ambled by. I expect the farmers were on their way with bales of feed on the back of vehicles because they always seem to know. They delayed us even more and when they had moved on we both commented how cold we’d become standing on one spot. It’s nothing like mid May should be and I think my cherry tree isn’t at all happy because the blossom has shrivelled and died so hardly any cherries.
    This morning I made one of my early grocery shopping trips before taking George and Betty out. Later I’ve cut bamboo canes down and created support sticks for peas that had been growing in an old piece of guttering. Just a shallow trench required, then the peas were slid in one long strip into the ground without disturbing their roots. A cup of tea then the hen house was mucked out and nearly a dozen eggs collected.

My shopping bill was a shock again even after being particularly discerning. High inflation has me getting my brain into planning recipes before I shop so only buying ingredients I specifically need and have to say I’m enjoying the challenge because it’s how I always cooked before somehow slipping into a rather lazy approach. My young, tender kale leaves are a revelation as is an Italian thyme herb that I scatter over salad leaves.

Patsy, political discussions can’t be avoided here either, especially about fines being issued to individuals attending government lockdown parties and the lack of any response to deal with our frightening price increases while international corporations record eye watering profits! Worse to come while Putin continues his war. I read New York Times articles about American political issues too and am dumbfounded at times when it’s not even my country!

That’s good news from your GP Anne and I love that his old dog was with him. Seems he’s keeping a gentle eye on you.

Whoa Lin, that was a close call with that truck. Thank goodness you managed to slam on the brakes. Did you shout at the driver? I know I would have! 🤬

Sandy, Dexter has a similar look to George with a shorter haircut as well as that barking habit! Nearly the weekend but I’m thinking you will miss the warm sunshine along with Dexter.

Betty is telling me it’s time for bed. When she needs to go out she walks in circles round the room, looking at me the whole time before trotting to the door. That done, she’s now fidgeting next to me as if to say come on, let’s go! George is listening and grumbling quietly, pretending to be asleep on a chair.

A pretty tea set Lin. I had to look up the flowers Gentianeae!

Nite, nite 💤 💤

Jackie
  • JillyBurg7
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Wow JACKIE you've said everything! From politics, to eating habits changing with inflation and less pennies in the piggy bank; to blossom on the fruit trees not being too happy with the odd weather. You could really be living on the same street as me and the Beano.

Here it was very chilly yesterday morning and I trotted off to see Doctor Tim in raincoat and winter woollies. Came home, had lunch and went outside just as Mark arrived with his big clippers. He collected and tied up all the discards [I can see the garage floor again!] whilst I tackled the old gnarled thick twigs. Hard work with frequent rests but I DID IT. Meanwhile the weather did a complete rebound. HEAT, HEAT, HEAT had us all gasping with Jilly put indoors because her black fur seems to attract heat.
    I was so tired after grappling with nature that Bean and I had a very early night and we slept for 9 hours which is rather unusual. I hope Mark slept because Hobbes arrived, the HUGE pussycat, and he loves the Ms big airy house and has a tendency to sleep on their heads.

So, about to have a shower before the grocery guy turns up early as usual.

I'm ever so grateful to Doctor Tim because I feel so much more like my old self. Janice, who I have to say doesn't like him but then if I'm honest she doesn't seem to like anyone very much and he's her third doctor since I met her. To me, he appears very caring and listens but Mark mentioned maybe he didn't tell Janice what she wanted to hear. Anyway I liked him even more when he mentioned he hoped it didn't rain on Sunday because he wants to garden! Old friendly doggie AND a gardener! who could ask for anything more in a doctor! Also he is the first doctor I've encountered returning from a lunch break of walking his dog in old comfy shorts! Definitely my type of doc. I wonder if they are all like that in New Zealand?

So ladies I will love you and leave you,
    Annsie.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :) We, too, have odd weather--cool enough in the morning to need to use heat in the house and winter coat for early dog walking, warm in the afternoon to garden in lighter clothing, so warm at night that I turned on the air conditioning to cool the house for sleeping.

:) I don't watch the news--too annoying and depressing---but even so, have heard enough about people getting covid that we continue to maintain our relative isolation.

:'( Sasha is slowing down and often doesn't feel like eating her breakfast. She is nearly 15 which is quite old for a standard poodle but she continues to enjoy her walks. There are three rabbits living under the trees in the field behind us and both Bessie and Sasha are eager to chase them. It is quite a challenge to hold onto the leashes when the bunnies are around.

:) The dishwasher technician comes today to finish repairs. After two weeks of no dishwasher, we have become very comfortable with washing dishes by hand and will probably continue to do so even after the repairs are complete.

<3 Barbie
  • jacAth3
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Brrr, I’m sitting in my garden room with a mug of coffee, doing my best to warm up! Torrential rain on the roof woke me about 7.30 and I could see the room was getting darker so turned over and went back to sleep! An hour later I was up and into the shower having been horribly disappointed with my weigh in… not a single ounce lost in spite of lots of salads and no pasta, rice or potatoes! I’ve even had my main meal midday a couple of times so tonight it’s going to be pizza and a glass of wine!!

The rain had stopped by 10 o’clock and because I had to take 2 bags of rubbish to the end of the entrance track, drove them in the boot then I took the pooches to the moors. As I parked I saw David with his dog Hattie coming back from their walk so we stood for about 15 minutes talking about the amazing work he’s achieved in what sounds like was once a derelict cottage and the large area of garden he cleared of hundreds of years of buried rubbish! There was a vague invitation to visit one day so I’ll be fascinated to see what’s been done. When we finally set off walking I then bumped into Brian with Duke so another long conversation while the cold, blustery wind had me huddling into my coat. Dear Brian hates the weather, politicians, corrupt police and the war in the east so I was exhausted by the time we wished each other a good weekend and went on our separate ways! Betty looked frozen from all that standing around so although George was happy to run on, I decided to only climb a little way then get back to my car. Hence we are now thawing out before lunch then I must take a closer look at George’s shoulders because he had disappeared for a few minutes and I think he may have been rolling in his favourite fox poo!

I just heard on radio news that there’s an unexpected increase in sales in spite of inflation but then the punchline…. Alcohol and cigarettes! What does that say about stress levels?

Anne, the image of Hobbes sleeping on the M’s heads did make me laugh! Can you imagine the discussions we’d have during coffee mornings with all that goes on in the world today but I bet we would still manage to laugh! When I lived in Toronto I was surprised how many people from New Zealand settled there but those I chatted to said it was always their plan to return home one day but had initially felt a need to see a bit of the world. Robbie the Smithy who installed my log burners, has a daughter in New Zealand and he loves the country because everyone is so layed back, the way Canada was in the 70’s!

Sunshine and showers so after lunch I’ll finish the housework I started yesterday.

Take care everyone. Shorts Patsy! 🤭 I’ve long legs but still wouldn’t inflict the sight of them on the public these days!

Jackie 🥰
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    Oh we'd laugh alright JACKIE! Even on my own I still manage a laugh at all the absurd goings on around the planet! Better to see the funny side or we'd also be galloping off to the beer store and indulging in ciggies!

We have a provincial election coming up but two of the candidates have now got Corvid which is sort of a relief because just the two main contenders are hurling insults at each other now on TV channels.

I see the visiting Charles and Camilla have been asked by the indigenous people to publicly apologize for the school system run by the Catholic Church system mainly in the past. As though Charles and Camilla had anything to do with it. They aren't even catholic thanks to Henry the 8th.

Oh and I see "Dr Who" has now got a new doctor in the future who is a member of the gay community. As though that will interest little kids interested only in science fiction. In my humble opinion there's "nowt so queer as folk" and I wish my Dad was still around, very down to earth, and very funny to have a belly laugh with.

By the way, Dr Tim has a walk in clinic as well as his registered patients but he isn't accepting any new patients. The poor guy is over loaded I guess. Whilst I was there loads of overweight men wandered in and the one before me said as he left "Oh I will be back Doc, you can be sure". So I guess I'm not
    the only one to like him!
    Annsie.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Happy Friday! 😄 My last day in the pool with another hot day! Will be heading home in the morning so will probably not post until later tomorrow. I am using their master bedroom so I will be changing sheets so that when they get home at 1:00 in the morning they can just go to sleep. I will wash the towels I used after the pool and then pack to go home. It will be nice to get back to my own routine and my own bed. I will miss Dexter but I might be sitting for Ewok when they go to Florida to visit Lisa’s parents. Lisa and kids are going for a month but Rob is only going for two weeks. Not sure what the arrangements are for Ewok yet but he might be staying at my house unless I can convince Babe to stay at their house. I am sure Bryanna can help as well. Lisa and kids will drive home with her parents so I don’t have to come back to Florida and drive back with them. So only one more trip this summer to visit my son Brad and his fiancé in Ohio to see their new house. I am getting tired of traveling so will be happy to stay home for a while.

Have a great day and will be back tomorrow.

Sandy
    One Day at Time
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Where has our sun gone. We were to get a sunny warm day……was that some sort of heartless joke?

Anyway, John slept late. So late, it worried me enough to go back into bedroom to check on him. I had this baseless fear he might be in some sort of physical distress and not be able to call for help. He slept until 1:00 in the afternoon. But all is well. It was dark and very cool in the bedroom and he just turned over and went back to sleep at some point.

Katie is possessed by plastic. If she finds anything made of plastic, she wants to chew it up and maybe ingest some of the dangerous shards. She found a small piece of plastic from a food container and we had a real argument on whether she could keep it. I won the argument but it really frightened me. That could have been very bad. All my training about “DROP IT!” Had no effect what so ever. So I had to dive into her mouth and pull the plastic out with much harsh words and blowing in her face to get her to open her mouth. She is now resting, I am still shaking over the possible dramatic event. This piece was a very sharp piece of thin plastic almost like a razor blade. Whew!

As you can see my day so far has been odd, if not totally upsetting. But nothing really bad happened, But it could have……..I will count myself as very lucky and try to figure out how to be more careful. I thought I was careful before this.
    Patsy☘️🦮🦮🦮🦮🦮🦮🦮🦮🦮🦮🦮😳
  • Sandydur
    Options
    It’s going to be hard to leave this little guy. But we had a fun 12 days, hopefully he misses me as much as I will miss him. ❤️🥲
    sbzdxxequg24.jpeg
  • linder4866
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Good evening. Some household chores today and then, stamping. I just had to get through that stack of cutouts I had made (still living in hope they will work for 4th of July cards). So yes, I finally finished all of them and cleaned up the stamping platforms, the stamp, my hands, the countertop, every place that received some ink. 😄😄

I probably didn’t mention that I am taking a 2 week card class with lessons/illustrations 5 days a week and 1 day with a live Q & A. That first live session is tomorrow afternoon so I have also cleared my way through all of this week’s videos. Got all the class PDFs downloaded and printed. I feel kind of good about this. 😄

I finished reading a book, played with my plants and watched an odd man climbing up on the back fence, staring into my neighbor’s yard. He had on a hard hat and was carrying some kind of electronic notepad so likely official but it was so strange. He walked along the back of my lot after he was finished peeking at my neighbor’s yard, crossed the street, started examining the neighbor’s fence and then walked along finding places in the fence to peek in to their yard as well. Life is odd.

I brought in my tomato plants that don’t have permanent pots yet. We are heading down ⬇️⬇️⬇️ in temperature with at least one night in the 30’s. Poor plants!! Will have to hunt for something to cover some of my containers They are too heavy to try to drag them indoors.

Barbie, good for you. The news is usually a bit upsetting. I will admit that I do watch quite a bit and I read a newspaper each day. I wouldn’t say it makes me happy but I do like the crossword and the game to make words out of a set of letters. It is amazing how quickly you can settle in to washing dishes by hand. I am content with doing that too.

Patsy, what a day you had! That would be worrying when John slept so late. Anything out of the ordinary is worth watching. And my gosh, Katie, what were you doing girl! Sharp plastic??!! Sorry, gotta say it, bad dog! Don’t do that again.

Sandy, safe travels home. Lovely picture with your grand-dog. Certainly a cutie!

Anne, your doctor sounds close to perfect. I would like one like him please. I hope you are resting up. You have taken on so many ambitious projects this spring. 👩🏻‍🌾

Jackie, I caught up on Dan and family videos today as well and offered some little comments. I am trying to let all the commercials run as apparently they get some remuneration if the viewers don’t skip them. You had many nice conversations today and got lots accomplished from the sounds of it. Kerry, Angela, Paddy, and Harry were walking of course and Kerry was saying the wind just doesn’t stop. Day after day apparently. They have been out so much taking pictures and videos with the puppies who are now old enough to go to their owners. I will admit I do not watch 100% of each video. I watch little bits and follow Angela on Instagram. I cannot figure out if they are getting a puppy from this litter. They are extremely darling pups.

Must move along. Be safe and happy everyone.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

yv9hf4jib9jd.jpeg
  • jacAth3
    Options
    Good morning. A cool start so an extra fleece jacket required for our walk, although by the time we returned to my car I had unzipped it. Quite a few visitors arrived in the car park when I arrived and all seemed to head off walking in the same direction so I took George and Betty on an exciting climb around collapsed mine shafts and old ruins. I did chat to one walker who takes her dad’s extremely overweight 10 year old Labrador with her. The last time I saw her she was about to buy a 10 week old Jack Russell puppy so today I finally met him, now 9 months old! When I drove away from the car park she was using a ball thrower for him to run and catch!
    Coffee is now ready and I’ve already watered tomato and sweet pepper plants in my greenhouse. The Pak Choi seedlings are growing but a few look spindly and something eat my 2nd sunflower. The Ukraine one is planted out and so far surviving.
    I rarely watch news these days but catch up reading the BBC App or from what I hear on the radio between mellow 60/70’s music.
    Grass is growing so fast I can hear it so cutting it is on my list of jobs but first I will need to rake up the mass of Rhododendron petals that rapidly dropped in the cold wind.

Barbie’s post from yesterday has suddenly appeared this morning; strange how often that happens! Many years ago I read that water would very soon be a more expensive commodity than any precious metal because there wouldn’t be enough to go round and that’s when I decided to do without a dishwasher. Instead I wash up just once a day in the evening because apart from one rinsed cereal bowl and small plate for my snack lunch with a couple of pieces of cutlery to add to evening items, it takes less than 5 minutes.

Patsy, what a stressful day and thank goodness you spotted that piece of plastic in Katie’s mouth. I have a similar battle with George when Brady brings him a present, usually a half dead mouse and I don’t always win! Perhaps John’s body was telling him to stop and rest after Damon’s visit which isn’t a bad thing but still worrying.

Aah Sandy, what a lovely picture of you with Dexter. He’s had his own vacation with you so is bound to miss you so you will have to FaceTime him regularly! Have a safe journey home and do let us know when you are back.

Gosh Lin, strange climbing men in hard hats is not what you need. Do you know your neighbours well enough to mention the incident? That’s the cutest teapot… one to cuddle! 😁
    I find Dan and Victoria’s videos quite educational and can see the more simple lives these people live could be inviting but certainly sensed a more oppressive atmosphere in Transnistria. The market was fabulous but there was too much suspicion on the bus! Aren’t we lucky to live in the West!
    Hopefully, if Kerry can bear to, he will adopt a son or daughter of Max. It would be fitting wouldn’t it.

Anne, I’m often laughing at crazy news stories in a far too cynical way! I don’t envy the Royals being sent out to visit the Commonwealth countries as some sort of symbolic gesture for the Queen’s jubilee celebrations. It’s a completely different world that now recognises our Empire was brutal at times, like every past Empire!

Yesterday was international bee day and I’m feeling very righteous as I seem to be constantly saving bumblebees from beating themselves up against greenhouse and garden room windows when they fly in through a door!

Coffee finished and clouds rolling up! 🙄

Stay safe everyone.
    Jackie 🥰
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    Mike will be over soon but he's now visiting the Italian barber who resides in the next road and I must admit the Italian barber does a great job on Mikes thick head of curly/wavy hair.

Its a sort of celebration day for us because poor old Mike has been waiting for his life to turn around for years and years and finally it appears to be doing so. Too long winded to mention here, but please wish him luck and if all goes well I will be more transparent.

My very elderly dish washer died earlier this year and I'm not replacing because it was only used when I had folks over for dinner such as at Christmas. The same as Jackie above, with only Jilly and my daily dishes, I only wash up in the evening. Anything that helps to save water even if we do have a whopping [at the moment] big fresh water lake just down the road.

Terrible fright with Katie PATSY. I'm fortunate Jilly sniffs everything and never so far eats anything she shouldn't with the exception of maybe chocolate which she NEVER gets to even sniff. I can't prize Jilly's clamped jaws open anyway, so much admiration sent and I guess John needed that long rest after an exciting weekend.

SANDY home again and LIN attending courses with BARBIE sprinting along with her doggies, wow we all lead active lives don't we however isolated.

Hobbes kept everyone awake last night with loud noises as the nocturnal jungle boy explored being back.

And I'll wander out and see if the young plants survived this peculiar weather.

Annsie.

• Sandydur
    Options
    Waiting to board. So crowded I am glad I am wearing my mask!
  • linder4866
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Well, my post disappeared. I will say hello and hope everyone is well.

I heard from a friend talking about the fresh snow in Colorado and I swear she said some was received in Nebraska as well. She also was quite upset as handfuls of friends and relatives have gotten Covid in the past week. People in New Jersey, Minnesota, Wisconsin and California. Oh yeah and here. She is glad she is not going out in groups yet.

The online discussion included with the card class was illuminating. Didn’t learn any card making techniques but lots of talk about positive factors of different brands and weights of card stock, inks, envelopes, glues, blending brushes, holders, and more. Always good to hear some details that you would never find easily on the web.

Super cold here this morning. Colder tomorrow morning so I will be throwing blankets over my poor plants on the deck. Too heavy to drag them indoors.

Anne, well, we all hope that Michael’s life is on the upswing. Yes!! And I am in the “washing dishes by hand club” too and have been for years. How did you find your little plants? Okay?

Jackie, I didn’t provide enough information once again. There were two litters of puppies this spring. One litter’s daddy is Paddy and the other one is Harry’s. I have never tried to ask questions about whether or not Max ever sired any pups. I know he had some type of accident and one of his legs was quite crooked. Anyway, they are all super cute pups. The older litter is dispersing and this morning the owner of the female said they were down from 7 pups to 4 in the house and they were already feeling sad. All best wishes with your gardening and darn that grass really grows doesn’t it?

Sandy, safe travels.

Be safe everyone. I have found a couple of blankets for my containers but need one more cover of some sort for a huge pot in the far corner of the deck with tomato plants. Brrrrrrrr. Furnace has been running.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

rxa17msnnv3c.jpeg

• JillyBurg7
    Options
    And now we are the opposite here LIN. Absolutely sweltering. Mark came over to help Michael put in my window air conditioner just as a thunderstorm passed overhead. He was outside as the rain came down positioning the a/c with Mike on the inside holding it steady and the poor lad skidded on a wet paving stone. He put out his hand to save himself against the fence and sort of bent it backwards. very swollen, but we don't think its broken. Such a lovely happy day and I'm so sorry he hurt himself to help me!
    MJ and I are comparing seedling showings. She's got a row of beets, me just one lone beet so far. I've got a whole row of parsnips and we've both got broccoli. Do I put my tomatoes in the ground tomorrow? That will take some thinking. Meanwhile the kale is doing best of all.
    And Mikes just text. The thunderstorm caused a huge power outage for miles around and now of course he doesn't have air conditioning. And here's me and Jilly Bean loving it!
    Hi SANDY. are you back home now?
    Annsie.
  • jacAth3
    Options
    A beautiful morning so, knowing how busy the moors will get, I decided to walk locally. Stopped to chat to the new residents at the end of our entrance track who told me about a few problems they’ve encountered, the main one being that while the previous couple lived there a new front door was installed which somehow reduced space so they couldn’t remove their sofa to take with them. They want to get on with decorating but because the sofa is sitting on old carpet they can’t remove that either! Apparently Rosetta (I think that’s her name!) creates crafts so a log cabin will be built in their garden as a workshop. Lavender is used a lot so she has already planted out lots of new varieties.
    We returned from our walk just before it got too hot but both pooches are now snoozing in shade next to me as I sip my coffee.
    The grass didn’t get cut yesterday but I will definitely whizz round today because rain is forecast for tomorrow. Instead I cleared out items in my greenhouse that had accumulated such as plastic plant pots and trays. Our recycling doesn’t accept black plastic so it’s bagged up to take to the tip but I’ve kept every size of terracotta pots for future use. The tomato plants are now in their big pots with support canes and I see some have already produced flowers. 👩🏻‍🌾

Oh dear Lin, having to protect your seedlings at this time of year is not good. Bubble wrap is my favourite for such jobs so long as it isn’t too windy. I’m sure I read somewhere that Max had sired pups at some point but could be wrong. Your online card making chat went well by the sound of it, especially if you received some recommendations. You do seem to know what you’re doing so I can’t imagine you need advice as such! Last night I watched Dan and Victoria’s video but the noise of the wind drowned out so much of what Victoria was explaining which was a shame. Dear Pumpkin looks fine but I’ll feel happier when she finally reaches her forever home because I’ve reservations about their apparent lack of solid plans for getting her through our strict customs.

Anne, fingers crossed for Mike receiving whatever it is will improve his life. I’m sure you’ll let us know when you can. My carrot seedlings in a protected pot have not appeared after a month so I’m going to scatter the rest of the contents of the packet on a spare piece of earth in the raised bed and not bother to fuss them!

Sandy, I hope you are safely home and rested. Missing Dexter already I bet!

Hello to Patsy, Barbie and anyone else looking in. My coffee is finished so I must do something constructive… firstly look for a lost pair of new reading glasses! 🤓

Happy Sunday. Stay safe.
    Jackie 🥰
  • JillyBurg7
    Options
    The storm we had which caused Marks swollen hand has also caused half a million people to be without
    power and nothing is repaired as of yet which had Michael talking about bringing over his frozen food to store in my fridge. However he didnt appear so I assume he will have lost everything by now. When I went outside earlier debris everywhere, twigs and leaves etc but we are so lucky it mainly missed our area near the lake shoreline and created havoc across Ontario and into Quebec who've also got about half a million outages. I've just planted my tomatoes outside and crossing fingers. They were getting so leggy they were in danger of keeling over.
    I'm beginning to wonder with these storms becoming more frequent if the Ms should invest in a home generator.
    Anne.