WaistAways Team Chat - AUGUST 2022

Replies

• jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,015 Member
    edited August 2022
    Welcome @CupcakeCrusoe Christina! I hope we can help you with the inspiration and companionship to keep on going through thick and thin. Especially thin! I know what you mean about the discouragement as your weight goes down and it is harder and slower to lose. We always track the % of total weight each week, and developing a feel for that can help. The actual weight dropped is smaller, but the percentage for each bit you lose gets bigger and bigger. Instead of aiming for a specific amount of weight to lose each week, go for a percentage and try to keep that pretty steady.

Here is a quick example - the last 2 weigh-ins today!
    209.6 2.3 1.09%
    170.6 1.8 1.04%
    The percentages are quite close, but the amount of weight lost is lower in the person who weighs less. A steady 1% can get you there pretty fast! Of course, some weeks are better than others, but keep an eye on the % until you find the sweet number you can more-or-less stick to for a while.

I like your habit list! 100g of protein is a huge amount though. Don't go too overboard and stress your kidneys. If you are not a competition level athlete, I think those levels of protein can be unnecessary. Mind you, I'm not a dietician, just want to make sure you're not setting targets that can cause any problems.
  • jugar
    MsMcClane wrote: »
    Hello! @jugar
    Weigh in Day: MONDAY
    PW: 172.4
    CW: 170.6

Woohoo! Good one.
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,119 Member
    @ashleycarole86 would it be a huge pain if I gave you exercise minutes weekly, since one of my goals is to do a minimum of three classes a week? If it would be a huge pain, don't worry about it at all!

Three classes would be at least 180 minutes a week of exercise, as a goal.

Not a pain at all - weekly is how most people prefer to give me their minutes so that works great!
    If you do step counting as well, please feel free to include that also (no worries if you don't!)
    Happy to have you!

• ashleycarole86
    My exercise catch up for July week 5:
    7/28 - 18,591 steps
    7/29 - 3,541 steps
    7/30 - 3,000 steps
  • micki48
    micki48 Posts: 2,253 Member
    @LoraineGB Oh no! That sure will knock you out. I once got stung 10+ times by tiny little bees I disturbed while watering my garden. Benadryl was my friend. How is your bite or sting? Hope it wasn’t a snake. Feel better.

Lots of mask wearing around here if I want to spend anytime with my husband. My daughter and fam are still in temp housing until Friday. I know it’s extreme. She’s a bit worried until Juliet is fully vaxxed. Friday my best friend is driving down from Boston and we are headed to the Jersey Shore for a bff girls weekend. It’s been about 10 years since we’ve seen each other. I am praying I don’t have a rebound like the President (from taking that nasty Paxlovid). I will surely cry if that happens. My daughter just might lose her mind.

I’m not yet back in the groove. Water hasn’t been great because 😷. I haven’t logged but food hasn’t been awful. Steps aren’t quite there, but at least I’m over 5,000.

Off to remove a mask.

• jugar
    @LoraineGB that sounds like quite the dose! Benadryl is magic, but it sure can put you right out. I hope you are not awake all night now - at least it sounds like the bite did not have lingering effects, or I sure hope not in any case. Take care!

@micki48 That sounds like such a nice plan after your bout of covid and all. My fingers are crossed and I'm knocking on wood that you have no rebound!

Tonight's update -

Due through today:
    @jan110144
    @MoonlitMuse

Due Tuesday:
    @Kali225
    @JEB03253

Thanks!
  • ashleycarole86
    jugar wrote: »
    @ashleycarole86 I'M BACK on the step/exercise team. I became slothy during July - only walking to the garden and back over and over, but not really getting in good steps very often. And exercise got hit by the hot weather. No more excuses!!! My Fitbit is on the charger, so it'll be a short day today, but I have decided enough is enough. Or really, not enough is not enough.

SO happy to have you back!

• ashleycarole86
    @jugar my starting weight is 195 😩

I'm Kellie, back on the regular team after a very tough June and July. Here's hoping I can make the number on the scale go down knowing the rest of this year might be just as busy

Hey Kellie - so great to see you back
    Sorry to hear that June and July were as tough as you thought they might be before you took a break
    Are you enjoying the new job?
  • ashleycarole86
    edited August 2022
    micki48 wrote: »
    @ashleycarole86 Ill post my sad steps in a separate post.

No such thing as sad steps when you're dealing with COVID!!
    Good you let your body heal
    Glad to hear you're feeling up to increasing them a bit
    I too will be crossing my fingers you're good for your special weekend!
  • ashleycarole86
    @LoraineGB
    Oh my!! That must have been quite the sleep with the double dose..
    Hope it helped with the pain at least!
  • ashleycarole86
    Ok! Think I'm all caught up for July steps for everyone who submitted so I'll get the report out tomorrow (which means there's one final chance for anyone who hasn't reported in yet!).

@MsMcClane great showing for your first week on the team! Did you have a daily step pledge you track towards that you wanted me to mark down? No worries if not but if you do I can then include you on the stats for total days that target is met.

I'm a bit behind on life in general - was thankful today was a holiday in Canada as I needed the day to do house stuff! Laundry, some lawn care, some errands, Brad and I tackled it all!

Also got back on the Peloton after what was probably the longest break since we bought it.. we both agreed it felt hard. We'll be back in tip top shape in no time here I'm sure!

Also my first weigh-in post trip was WAY less scary than the Vegas weigh-in, so that's a positive ;) Not sure if I'll be back down to my maintenance range by Thursday or if I'll be going back to the regular team for a bit.. we shall see in a couple days.

Regardless, it was a great getaway, and I feel reassured by everyone here of my capabilities to get back on track. It does feel good to be back into my good habits and routines.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,355 Member
    jugar wrote: »
    Instead of aiming for a specific amount of weight to lose each week, go for a percentage and try to keep that pretty steady.

I like your habit list! 100g of protein is a huge amount though. Don't go too overboard and stress your kidneys. If you are not a competition level athlete, I think those levels of protein can be unnecessary. Mind you, I'm not a dietician, just want to make sure you're not setting targets that can cause any problems.

The percentage thing is pretty cool! I like that idea. I understand the concern about too much protein, for sure. I find that I'm not as hungry when I'm cutting calories when I hit that minimum number, but at my next doctor's appointment, I'll be sure to discuss it. :heart:

@ashleycarole86 thanks for having me in the step/exercise challenge! I don't consistently enough measure my steps, so I won't set a step goal, but I can give you exercise minutes every Saturday :smiley:

I love you talking about the maintenance vs regular team, like it's no big deal either way, the right mindset to think about it with.
  • MsMcClane
    MsMcClane Posts: 62 Member

@MsMcClane great showing for your first week on the team! Did you have a daily step pledge you track towards that you wanted me to mark down? No worries if not but if you do I can then include you on the stats for total days that target is met.

Hello Ashley! My daily step pledge for this week will be 10,000. My steps thus far are;
    July 31 - 10,880
    Aug 01 - 11,254

@micki48 Cherry tomatoes are the best. I attempted to grow some veggies last year. Didn't turn out as we had hoped but the gardening experience of planting and watching the plants grow and being able to feed the squirrel and rabbit community was awesome.

• jugar
    Cherry tomatoes! I have been enjoying mine for a couple of weeks now, and the smaller red tomatoes are starting too. There is no comparison to what you find in the store - so delicious. I have overdone it a bit, though, and my tongue is sore! When the roma tomatoes get ripe (the last ones in my garden), you'll hear me griping a lot about having to make SO much tomato sauce, but then I'm all happy during the winter when I enjoy that garden tomato taste.

@jan110144 I'm glad your friend is all right - and that they have such a good friend as you. Those connections keep us all in a better place, that's for sure.

Here's to everyone working on a perfect day today! Pre-log, stick with it, and hear your teammates voices in your head if you reach for something dangerous, or sit on the couch too long. Even if you just "go through the motions" get on the mat @micki48 - you know you will love it. And yourself afterwards :heart:

I'm aiming for perfect day #3. I got back under my top maintenance weight, so I won't have to move back to the regular team for now - you can do it too @ashleycarole86 ! Don't go too overboard on the Peloton right away - can't have you limping around, now can we?

@CupcakeCrusoe you sent me to do some research about protein - thanks! Your amount does not seem so extreme now. If our kidneys are in good shape, around .5 g per pound of body weight seems to be a fairly common recommendation, going a bit higher for serious athletes, etc. That puts you around 90 g of protein, so 100 is not so crazy as I thought. I'm a kind of pint sized person, so stick to around 55-60. Checking with your doc is a great idea though. There is so much confusing info out there. Having lots and lots of fibre helps a lot too! That's always my fave number to track :smiley: (can you tell I'm a bit of a veggie freak?)

OK - out to pick stuff, and contemplating going to a big blueberry farm to pick there - mine are almost gone, and I like to freeze lots of them.
This discussion has been closed.