Food...control...the endless loop

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, Dante...not really surprising. I only read the first article - skimmed the other two. I guess it comes down to balance? Finding just that right point for yourself?
    When I do that I actually feel less inclined to snack. It leaves me feeling good and wanting to rest and then "nourish" my body well. The activity that tends to bring on more snacking for me is brain work (intellectual or emotional). That just asks me to eat lots of refined carbs...

Thank you for these links.

Perhaps you need to plan more food on gym days, Yooly?
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,843 Member
    Options
    Thank you Dante! Those articles explain a lot. I think I’ll just have to be more careful and maybe plan for an extra snack rather than fight the hunger.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Last year when I was swimming like I was supposed to be doing ( and will be again in a few weeks ) I burn between 300 and 500 calories from exercise….I ate a protein bar or some yogurt and a banana to keep me from starving and I drank Zero Gatorade or water on swim breaks…I was still burning more calories than I was consuming…
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    The thing is I’m not exercising really hard. 200-300 calories at most. I don’t think it’s really exercise induced real hunger because I just grab and graze all day afterwards. I’m thinking it’s either thirst or just compensating for tiredness? On days when I don’t go to the gym I feel more in control and do better.
    I guess the easy answer would be to quit going to the gym! But I need the exercise at my age to keep healthy and mobile. It’s a conundrum 🤔
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Really - our bodies are fascinating. Exercise is really no where near as cut and dry as CICO.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Okay...I am so messed up on the food front. Here I am at 1:45 in the afternoon...so far I've eaten 3 clementines and drank 2 cups of tea with milk. Everything in me is resisting eating a meal. Just like yesterday when everything in me insisted on eating 4000 calories of junk. I swear it feels like I have no control over any of it.
    Freaking hamsters think they are running the show. Right now it feels as if they might just be.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    You may be fairly full from yesterday? A small balanced (protein blah blah) meal whether you need it or not? (Going with theory of not getting too hungry before fueling again?)

How is paw status?
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    That is what I did. Because I don't even really know if I was full I swear the hamsters were setting me up for another binge because they knew I would be vulnerable if I hadn't eaten something decent.

I'm still just hobbling around the house. Poor pup(s) - plural because I'm babysitting Reese this week.

I'm going to try taking them to the dog park tonight because I can drive really close to the gate and if I go late at night there's nobody else there so I can let my little wicked witch out to run too.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I will bring some old tennis balls so that when they abandon them I don't have to go and retrieve them 😁
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Driving is still a challenge... But at least I have a car to drive this week 🙂 and I can drive short distances as long as I stay consciously aware of lifting my leg to move from the gas to the brake pedal rather than twisting at the knee. That is significant progress from a few weeks ago 🙂
  • PAV8888
    Options
    yikes it does sound a little bit precarious have you considered a pet friendly Uber or similar subsidized perhaps with the help of the owner of Reese????
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Reese's person is off on tour - planned and booked and agreed to before my paw mishap. The driving is okay...the dog park is a bit spooky late at night - but I must go then because my girl is a bit of a witchypoo and doesn't get along with "strange" dogs. The after 10 crowd at this little park are all owners of problem pups...everyone takes turns. If there is someone already in the park, you wait. All very civilized :) But it is at the edge the industrial part of the city and it's VERY dark in them parts. And usually there is no one else around.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Heavens Laurie! Bad knee, witchy dog, late at night, an unlit sketchy park? Sounds like a big NO! How about early morning-after sunrise? Less traffic in case you have to brake hard. Fewer sketchy people because they tend to sleep later.
    As I often told my son - nothing good is going on in the streets after dark. Did he listen to me? NOT!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Kids! And we are all someone's kids :)

Why I go then is because that is when all the regular people stay away. In the morning the spot is hopping. I can't let the witchypoo run. It is absurd. Usually I go late at night with Reese's person. This works well for me - I have a witchy dog who can't play well with others - works well for him, a late night person who gets bored/lonely at night :) It took a few months for witchypoo to trust Reese (who is a great big sweetheart) - but she loves him now so they can run around together and have fun. So long as he doesn't try to take her frisbee :) He doesn't. EVERYTHING is hers until she says it isn't. He is no fool

I didn't go last night. Drizzly rain was added to the mix and it was just too much for my poor brain to deal with.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Just had a zoom meeting with my "disordered eating" counsellor. I so love this woman. She has recently retired out of a successful, lifetime family doctor career into the realm of disordered eating - which she has been involved in for decades also. But she comes to this place now with a wealth of big picture health knowledge and tremendous wisdom and a remarkable ability to learn rather than simply believe.

Most of the time she is very very very very very reluctant to agree to anything remotely near a "D" "I" "E" "T" but she is also wise enough to understand where I am in life. Extra weight = injuries = depression = poor health. So today she granted acceptance to my "Regularized Eating Pattern (with a modest calorie deficit)" :)

I'm so happy to have her in my corner. She is always in the back of my mind - coaching me. Sometimes that back of the mind woman doesn't properly represent the real woman - but that gets corrected when we next speak. Together today we have agreed that I will always need to adhere to a Regularized Eating Pattern :smile: Everyone here knows about that. But now, in my mind, I am adding a lifetime "with a modest calorie deficit."

I hope my REPWAMCD becomes one that I will live with forever and I don't start questioning what I know is true for me: eating at a calorie deficit in a regularized eating pattern is ultimately the healthiest way for me to eat. Once I get into that land of "no deficit" any common sense or knowledge I have gained is completely overrun by tyrannical brain hamsters that can't imagine wasting those extra calories on extra nourishment and instead go for the "treats" which trigger binges which trigger more binges. And that is the way it is. Every freaking time. And I'm probably too old to acclimatize to anything different - it will take me at least twenty years of behaviour modification training and by then it won't matter. That being the case, adding 500 calories of food to my days - but replacing all the healthy nutritious food I consume when I'm eating at a deficit with junk - is never going to help me heal faster or bring me more energy or make me feel healthier. And, I'm incapable of behaving differently.
    Give me some extra rope and I'll hang myself.
    Everytime.
    It is time for me to accept that as my reality. It is not going to change. Learning to live with that "character flaw" and to respect it enough to include it in all of my "planning" will lead to far more success than thinking I am going to/am able to change it.

I cannot see any danger in this new approach. If living with a daily Calorie Deficit remains my "default" I have no doubt that there will be sufficient occasions/celebrations worthy of "over deficit" days to keep me from ever becoming too thin (or too rich :) ) I imagine I might get to feel too restricted by the REPWAMCD - if so, I will try very hard to remind myself that I need such restrictions because I'm a wild, passionate women who cannot control my desires. That should work for a while. I'm at the age where that sounds like a fantastically "youthful," description, and the positivity that comes with that will, I hope, help me stay in the restraints.

At this very moment, the idea of staying on a "diet" for the rest of my life feels very secure. I sigh in relief at the thought.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Well diet is what we eat. So you're always eating your diet! 🤪

I just finished a post about logging acting as inhibition.

I don't think any of us *here* can eat without any inhibitions and not be obese.

Choosing inhibitions we can live with long term... and being willing to adjust them with changing circumstances...

Dems de hamster management tricks!
  • Yoolypr
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Totally agree with your counselor and PAV. I wasn’t successful at any long term weight control until I accepted that I will have to monitor my eating for the rest of my life. Not a temporary diet but a revamp of how I viewed eating.
    As long as the majority of days are within my caloric needs (not wants!) I’ll be okay. There will be slip ups, vacations, parties and holidays but I must go back to mindfulness.

I try to eliminate some guesswork by having the same boring but healthy breakfast every day. Every day will have a big salad with balsamic vinegar or low cal dressing. The pantry and fridge are stacked with “my” foods so I can make substitutions. For example today hubby wanted pasta with sauce and chicken. I subbed zoodles for the pasta, had the tomato sauce and weighed the chicken.

It works out most days. Some days I would like to eat more or leave the table hungry. But I’m happier than when I was busting out of 3x pants.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Where is your "logging acting as inhibition" post, PAV?

I need to tell my brain/belly doctor :) about the hamsters! I have yet to do that.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    That last post I wrote a long time ago - but somehow didn't hit "Post Reply"

I have no doubt about having to monitor what I eat forever - haven't ever had any real doubt about that. The counselor is on board with that too. What I'm changing is that my "forever" default will be a calorie deficit. She isn't (wasn't) keen on any kind of deficit - because it can trigger "disordered eating." I knew I had to lose weight and that would require a calorie deficit - but I did kinda think in time I would switch to "maintenance" mode - and my aim would be to eat to match my TDEE. That I'm giving up on.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Yup - permanent deficit eating here. Because it’s hard to determine my TDEE as it’s different everyday or changes over time. And sometimes it’s not possible to get accurate calorie counts - like in combination foods or eating out. I aim for a deficit number every day and know by the scale if that’s working.

The margin between deficit and maintenance is very small for me. Very easy to go over with an extra tablespoon of something or a quick few sample bites which add up over time. Like my three pounds of Christmas cookie weight! It took weeks to move that faux pas along.