Heart Mountain by Gretel Ehrlich
  • Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold
  • CrankyOldGoat
    CrankyOldGoat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just finished book #58 for the year, my goal was at least 52 - so I’m happy to surpass that. Just finished book 7 in a 14 book dark fantasy sci-fi series- “In Shade and Shadow - a Novel of the Noble Dead” by husband and wife team, Barb and JC Hendee.

I like to alternate a sci-fi; mystery; thriller/ adventure; spy / police intrigue and the odd nonfiction. Next up - “The Diet Whisperer” by Dr. Chell and Dr. Hope-Ross. Figured a great way to jump start my reading AND fitness for 2023!
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    We Are the Light by Matthew Quick
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    Solaris by Stanislaw Lem
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I gave it a fair try, but in the end Heart Mountain is gonna be DNF for me. Despite some moments of beauty and authenticity, it's just didn't ring true in the end.

Starting Home is a Roof Over a Pig: An American Family's Journey in China by Aminta Arrington.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    No need to finish a book you are not enjoying unless you want to. I usually finish what I start, I haven't quit in a while even when a book deserved it.

My progress in The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter is being hampered by the flu. I have not been professionally diagnosed, just guessing from the symptoms that it is flu since there is so much of it going around here.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the flu, Doug. Feel better soon!
  • Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Hope you feel better soon, Doug. In the mean time lots of fluids, read and sleep.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,990 Member
    Options
    No need to finish a book you are not enjoying unless you want to. I usually finish what I start, I haven't quit in a while even when a book deserved it.

The only book I can ever remember not finishing was Huckleberry Finn as a kid. Have long regretted it, always told myself I'd go back and finish it, never have after an additional 35 years.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    News flash! I finished a book! Now reading its sequel, The Long War (The Long Earth #2) by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter! (I must be feeling a tad better...)
  • FitMary202
    Options
    I've just started my B book: Elif Batuman, Either/Or.

A Aminta Arrington, Home is a Roof Over a Pig. *** Lags here and there, but I liked it over all.
    B Elif Batuman, Either/Or.
  • FitMary202
    Options
    A Aminta Arrington, Home is a Roof Over a Pig. *** Lags here and there, but I liked it over all.
    B Elif Batuman, Either/Or. *** Very quirky, but had some funny and some insightful moments.
    Starting C Mohamed Choukri, For Bread Alone.
  • Btrflydog
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @FitMary202 - good job! I set up a discussion for us to track easily. Anyone else interested in joining the A to Z challenge please do. The more the merrier.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    I will have to see where my reading muse is when I get to a spot where I can look at the challenge. I like to read very eclectically (random genres, I'll read sci-fi for a while and then jump to western or romance on a whim) and a lot depends on when library holds come in for me (immersion reading using audiobooks in addition to the printed word). Right now I am on book #3 of the Long Earth series that I own by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter, The Long Mars. I have completed books 1 and 2 this year so I guess I have completed P and B...
  • FitMary202
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Btrflydog wrote: »
    @FitMary202 - good job! I set up a discussion for us to track easily. Anyone else interested in joining the A to Z challenge please do. The more the merrier.

THANK YOU! Really getting into it this year. Starting strong at least!
    I've already got C for the challenge, but The Family Chao by Lan Samantha Chang arrived from the library today so I'm starting it too.
  • Btrflydog
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I will have to see where my reading muse is when I get to a spot where I can look at the challenge. I like to read very eclectically (random genres, I'll read sci-fi for a while and then jump to western or romance on a whim) and a lot depends on when library holds come in for me (immersion reading using audiobooks in addition to the printed word). Right now I am on book #3 of the Long Earth series that I own by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter, The Long Mars. I have completed books 1 and 2 this year so I guess I have completed P and B...

No limitation on genre or fiction or nonfiction. Just try to read one author for every letter of the alphabet. I got hooked on it - even though I've never actually been able to complete it 100%. It has lead me to read new authors though. My problem is I'll get caught up in a series or new author and end up with half my books being read under one letter. But never give up is my motto so every year I try again. I may not succeed, but I've read some wonderful books.

@FitMary202 - you are welcome. Sorry it took me so long to post it. I got distracted organizing my paperwork for my taxes.
  • FitMary202
    edited January 2023
    Options
    The Alphabet challenge has already gotten me to get 4 titles off the "to read" list, which, as we know, never gets smaller, and be reclassified as "read" or "currently reading." I'm calling it an unqualified WIN!

@Btrflydog Impressed that you're already doing your taxes paperwork! Well done.
  • Btrflydog
    Options
    Finished Once and Future Witches - 5*. Next up The Judge's List - John Grisham.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Options
    The Blade Itself (The First Law book 1) by Joe Abercrombie is turning into a good read for fantasy.