Jammin' January

Replies

• spl8
    spl8 Posts: 101 Member
    So I have been reading your discussions about calories with interest. I have been keeping my calories at 1300-1400 without adjusting for exercise. I have lost weight in pretty small increments, so I think I'm at the right number there. I also have significantly increased protein as a percentage of my daily calories (from about 20% to about 35%), which very much goes against my typical eating habits. I find this latter change the most difficult, as I am not a big meat eater and I have to struggle hit my protein goals (and struggle even more keep my carbs down). What are others in this group doing about macros?

Weekly weigh-in:
    SW 160 (12/2022)
    CW 154.2 (lost 0.2 lbs this week)
    GW 139ish
    My big goal is to feel (and look) fit and energetic by my 60th birthday in August 2023

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,967 Member
    @SherryRueter that "agile aging" is probably my #2 reason for working out (#1 is more immediate, and that's fitness and the ability to race at my maximum pace without tiring from lack of physical training). My mother has been overweight to obese her entire life since college. She is 67 (just past the typical retirement age) and has osteoporosis so bad even twisting too much could potentially break something. I don't think she has picked up a free weight her entire life, and has only ever veeerrry briefly and sporadically been in a gym. In her mind, taking care of the house (house cleaning, shopping, and the occasional project) is "tons" of activity and the reasons for her health issues have nothing to do with a lack of exercise.
    Honestly, it's kind of sad, and that is NOT the life I want in any way, shape, or form. She's not even 70 and has already given up on living any kind of life.
    Unfortunately, I feel like my boyfriend is heading down that same path. Most nights he gets home and plops on the couch, drinking too much beer (typically - he's backed off a bit since I've been doing 75 which includes no alcohol) and smoking some pot. He's in his early 50's and is suffering from several issues that even he can see are tied directly to his lifestyle choices (and honestly these things have me questioning the longevity of our relationship.....not cutting ties yet, but have a feeling that's the direction things will go).
    ~~~
    On other notes, while my kitchen is still in shambles, we at least have a working sink again and stove, and a corner of the cupboard that I can use, so last night was able to cook a simple but complete meal to plan. Tonight's food already thawing on the counter. VERY glad to be cooking again, I don't think my gut was appreciating the eating out - even though it was all to my plan, it still is just never the same.
    My little folding exercise bike should be arriving soon if Amazon gets their stuff together - bought a super cheap one that I can haul outside for some low-no impact outdoor workouts.
    Last night tried the mini trampoline outside - that could be a very solid workout, but it was all new to my muscles so getting an intense cardio workout didn't happen since my muscles couldn't hang in there for that kind of intensity LOL. Set up a Tabata routine I can repeat every now and then, so will add that in as an option as well.
    ~~~
    I had two days in a row of much lower weigh-ins (153-154), so not sure I'm going to adjust my kcal down just yet - tomorrow I will do a 25 day progress photo comparison (same outfit, same location as starting photo) and will use that to better determine if things are progressing. Pants seem to be fitting better, so I might be sticking where I'm at for now....
    44, F, 5' 7"
    GW: 128-135(ish - TBD)
    CW: 157.6

1/4/2023: 157.2
    1/11/23: 155.2
    1/18/23: 155.4
    1/25/23: 155.8
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,255 Member
    Hi, Pals. Continuing to do well - 14:10 IF, limited processed foods, lots of water 8k min steps per day. Tomorrow will be a challenge - on the road for like 7 hours, passing fast food, limited steps. But @SherryRueter - I like the word you used yesterday. I do feel motivated, disciplined, on track - but the word you used I was looking for is “enpowered”. And my upcoming doc appt is what’s also serving as a mini-milestone. HOWEVER, I’m like you in that a weight increase would play with my brain but I would (try sooo hard) not (to) overeat.

Not sure how much older than I am over you folks but I can manage a burpee without the jump (G cups don’t like jumping). 😵‍💫😂😂

I’m doing my silly “test” I think I mentioned early on. While sleeping on my side I feel how much belly
    pudge “tilts” over. It’s going down!

Love a clean house! It’s the little things - sparkling clean house, gray Sunday (don’t know why Sunday??), briskness in the air, husband in his corner of the house, fireplace going, bare trees, some classical music, something warm to drink - my happy place!
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,818 Member
    @spl8 I highly recommend prioritizing Protein to be 100g or more a day. My fave proteins:
    Protein Shake, Hard Boiled eggs, Cottage cheese mixed with either fruit or with protein powder and a little sweetener. Vanilla Greek yogurt. My least favorites: Red meat, Fish and ground turkey. I try to hit 100g a day, and have been successful with that for almost a week now. Its getting easier.

I think I'm in the 1200-1300 calorie range right now and I feel like I'm doing okay there. I was maintaining on 2000 cal. so its really interesting to feel so light in my tummy.

I recommend a veggie forward approach, as I have found the more green veggies I have...the less cravings I have. I also workout 60mins strength training most days and hit 11,000 - 15,000 steps a day. Yes, I have a desk job...you'd never know it. I take 10min walks every few hours and attempt to do more at lunch and dinner time.

Hope this helps you.
  • SherryRueter
    @HoneyBadger302 - That was excellently written and a pleasure to read. Why do people NOT get it!?!?!
    I've already told my hubby that when its our turn to go into a nursing home, that we just have to accept it fully that we are not capable of living at home, and take it as a stage in life. Gosh i am SO NOT looking forward to my father and his bull the next 3 months. Feel so sorry for mom.

I need to work...My brain is not in focus today. already on my 3rd cup of coffee.....
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    @HoneyBadger302 - That was excellently written and a pleasure to read. Why do people NOT get it!?!?!
    I've already told my hubby that when its our turn to go into a nursing home, that we just have to accept it fully that we are not capable of living at home, and take it as a stage in life. Gosh i am SO NOT looking forward to my father and his bull the next 3 months. Feel so sorry for mom.

I need to work...My brain is not in focus today. already on my 3rd cup of coffee.....

Take care of yourself Sherry. Your father is being very stubborn, but he is probably also very scared. My heart goes out to you, your siblings and your mother - I feel for you.
  • Antiopelle
    spl8 wrote: »
    So I have been reading your discussions about calories with interest. I have been keeping my calories at 1300-1400 without adjusting for exercise. I have lost weight in pretty small increments, so I think I'm at the right number there. I also have significantly increased protein as a percentage of my daily calories (from about 20% to about 35%), which very much goes against my typical eating habits. I find this latter change the most difficult, as I am not a big meat eater and I have to struggle hit my protein goals (and struggle even more keep my carbs down). What are others in this group doing about macros?

Weekly weigh-in:
    SW 160 (12/2022)
    CW 154.2 (lost 0.2 lbs this week)
    GW 139ish
    My big goal is to feel (and look) fit and energetic by my 60th birthday in August 2023

Well, many of us are tracking macro's very diligently. I myself do not. Every now and then, I'll check them and often I'll find that I am low on protein (between 13% and 20% daily). I hardly eat any meat or fish, but I'll have an occasional protein shake after a hard workout. I eat oatmeal with soy or almond milk for breakfast, whole bread with cheese or eggs for lunch, and a load of veggies with (sweet) potatoes or pasta for dinner. Snacks are yoghurt and nuts. Even so, I'm able to build some muscles, so I do not worry about it. But note that I am an outlier on this topic, not everyone will agree with me :wink:
  • Antiopelle
    On another note: the weekend is about to start, I wish you all a very nice one. Hopefully relaxing, with a lot of willpower to prepare and stick to good foods and loads of fun exercise.

5ub9atdzv4av.png
  • spl8
    spl8 Posts: 101 Member
    @Antiopelle - thanks for your thoughts. I am glad to hear that you've been able to build strength and muscle without the protein loading. I'm working with a coach (for both diet and fitness) who told me to increase my protein numbers while I'm trying to lose weight. I'm going with it for now because it's working, but when I bet close to my ideal weight I probably will edge back to a diet that is more natural to me (lots of whole grains, legumes, fruits, and veggies, not so much meat and fish). From the little research I've read, it seems that menopausal women should get more protein, but I probably don't need quite as much as I'm getting now.
  • HoneyBadger302
    spl8 wrote: »

I'm tracking macros but my only "limit" or number I worry about hitting is staying below my net carb limit (150 net carbs is my max) and I try to stay a little below that in case of random inaccuracies.

For me, this is the diet I have found I am the most satiated on, often not even finishing everything I've dished up for myself once my body starts to adjust. Lots of veggies, some meat, cheeses, olives, and on days I lift a protein stack shake. I average around 120g of protein on this plan.

I made huge use of riced cauliflower and other veggie (like spaghetti squash) "bases" or mashes rather than the carb based foods. Some sweet potatoes if I plan right that day, and generally another large serving of another vegg on the side. Dinner always includes a good sized meat serving, lunch might have meat - might not - might be leftovers from the night before + some snacks. Snacks are olives, hummus, maybe some of the lowest net carb chips I can find, cheeses, maybe a minimal ingredient deli meat.

In my case I am actively trying to build muscle and strength, while also trying to lose fat, so it's not a fast weight reduction, but seeing steady improvements in my workouts (cardio too!).

To give a reference, that one protein shake is 20g of protein - so I'm getting about 100g from food each day. Some plant foods obviously have some protein as well, however, it is not the same as an animal based protein structurally and doesn't quite work the same way in our bodies (evolutionarily we are omnivores) so getting the right protein from plants takes a lot more research and planning than filling it in with animal products.

In your case, the shakes may be a good option, just be sure you're getting a quality brand as far too many claim a certain amount of protein, but that is BEFORE their processing which significantly impacts what your body is actually getting.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 714 Member
    edited January 2023
    @SherryRueter, I'm sorry to hear your father is having such severe health issues. It's not always easy dealing with a parent, even though what we're doing is best for them. They are very set in their ways, and think that it's their job to take care of their children, not the other way around. I think your father is probably struggling with feelings of pride, fear and maybe even anger at himself for letting his health decline. I'm keeping positive thoughts for you and your family. And, I'm happy the hear that NSS didn't cave to her cravings during the past week - good for you.
    Thank you for the rant on "agile aging" - I struggle a bit with flexibility and balance and am finding yoga extremely helpful for both of those. I am in pretty fit shape otherwise and can do burpees. Here's a quick test to check your basic mobility https://silversneakers.com/blog/fitness-test/. I'm guessing these will be pretty easy for most in this group :)
  • SparkSpringtime69
    @spl8, I don't tend to track my macros, just calories. I eat a 100% plant diet (with an occasional cheese cheat), but find that I get enough of everything for my body as long as I eat a varied diet throughout the day.
  • k8richly
    k8richly Posts: 266 Member
    Hi y'all! What a wonderful chat to catch up on! I'm back from 6 days of dealing with my dad's affairs (banks, lawyers etc) plus i got right down to business and also tarted to tackle his condo.

Oh dear, speaking of reasons to keep your health and agility into old age. He was clearly doing his best but I found years and years of medical receipts and prescriptions and doctors notes for every possible ailment under the sun and it was all jumbled up with his shaky notes written here and there.I found random expired medication in the oddest places. It's a miracle he lasted as long as he did as managing his health was obviously a full time job for at least a decade. So everyone eat your veggies and do your stretching every day!!

@SherryRueter my dad also refused to move into a home. So darn stubborn despite almost monthly trips to emergency. He finally caved and got an amazing live-in caregiver in the final 2 years, but he still just flat out refused to move, right to the very last day. I accepted it, realizing it was a battle we'd never win, but my brother was bitter about it right to end, always fighting with the old man about moving into a home. It ledt them both so angry with each other. My thoughts are with you and your family. It Is So Hard to just say "he's a grown man, let him live with his poor decisions" when you love them and want what's best for them.

I hope/think that I got my moms genes and not my dad's - while I'm more into sweaty sports/workouts, my mom is at least a health nut and is going pretty strong at 76! She still dances twice a week (Scottish or folk dancing) and does yoga.

In 6 days I got 2 runs on the beach, one powerwalk in the woods, one strength session plus stretching every day and of course cleaning and moving boxes. I am resolved to buy new batteries for my scale by February 1 and find out what kind of weight/damage I'm still carrying around from my difficult November- December. It will just be a number to work with and that's OK!

In good news, my ball hockey and soccer have started up again. These are my happiest workouts 😀. Give me 2 weeks to get my fitness/cardio level back up and then I will be less sore and cruising. Right now I'm sore and feeling like the oldest one out there. But when I blow by a young scamp and score a goal, I can tell you I feel "empowered" 😁. I just can't walk right the next day 🙄 I am also a big fan of burpees, including the jumps, but it helps that I'm an A, @CeeBeeSlim. 🤣

• k8richly
    k8richly Posts: 266 Member
    @spl8 welcome! I shoot for 25% protein and mfp tells me when it's off (otherwise I'd have no real idea). It helps keep me full longer. Although, I notice I get a tummy ache if I have too much protein, so it does need to be balanced out with good fats and carbs for me. I've been dealing with peri-menopause symptoms for years (not quite at menopause yet) and find the website Menopause Chicks helpful. Good luck!
  • SparkSpringtime69
    I found another fun fitness test, probably better suited to most in this group:
    https://mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/fitness/art-20046433
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,255 Member
    Haha @k8richly re the jumping!

Been away for a few days - traveling back home, settling in, being great saying “thanks but no thanks” to the hubs to wine, ice cream, holiday gifted treats! Lowest weight I’ve been since June! Got a couple more days til the end of January but already down a little over 6 pounds.

Busy day but hope all you all are doing ok!
  • SherryRueter
    OMG.... birthday weekend left me up to 110#.
    Like seriously the WRONG direction....then again...perhaps one shouldn't weigh in after having pizza, wings and ice cream for a few meals....

What can go on in a week, can also be taken off in a week!

meal plan is made. I wonder if I can post it below... I'll try.
  • SherryRueter
    edited January 2023
    These are from my LoseIt app. I’ll get in 146 G protein. And about 1300 calories. (Obviously I had more than that all weekend long!).

zkdkwrv8p6pd.jpeg
    udufyxtizz76.jpeg
    guwp9ggxvwzx.jpeg
    gnr6tkgj54xo.jpeg
  • SherryRueter
    @Ceebeeslim - Congrats on the weight loss!!
  • HoneyBadger302
    Happy Monday all! Weekend here was pretty new-normal normal. Saturday got laundry washed and dried, riding lesson in, then did a yoga flow for my 2nd workout since my riding lesson got my HR going plenty. Sunday doggo and I went hiking locally again, finished up laundry and little prep for the week. Keeping up with all my 75 Hard tasks and my personal power list tasks.

Lifting today was back day, and definitely seeing some progress from when I started (this is week 5). Have a feeling the changes will start to slow from this point on as there's only been once or twice I've been consistent enough to really get to heavier weights than where I'm at right now (and it's been several years).

Work stuff is going fine as long as I stay on top of things, got some reinforcement that my client is happy with things right now as well, so that's always a relief (started onboarding them on the 4th, so first month can be touch and go as everyone figures it all out and I can prove my value). Being my first formal client I think that concern sat there in the back of my mind.