What are you reading currently?

Replies

• Btrflydog
    Btrflydog Posts: 1,350 Member
    The Uncommon Reader - Alan Bennett
  • FitMary202
    FitMary202 Posts: 1,407 Member
    I need a break from the relentless bad news so I started the next in the Thursday Nest series and I'm looking for something else uplifting.
  • Btrflydog
    Where the Crawdad Sings - Delia Owens
  • Catfish_Fan
    Catfish_Fan Posts: 383 Member
    I decided just to finish up The Long Earth series with book 5, The Long Cosmos. It isn't great but it isn't terrible either. Sir Terry Pratchett died in 2015 when this book was being co-written so it is mostly Stephen Baxter who finished it. RIP Terry.
  • FitMary202
    I decided just to finish up The Long Earth series with book 5, The Long Cosmos. It isn't great but it isn't terrible either. Sir Terry Pratchett died in 2015 when this book was being co-written so it is mostly Stephen Baxter who finished it. RIP Terry.

Is this the right time to admit that I've never read (or even really knew about) Sir Terry Pratchett? Doesn't look like my normal cup of tea, but I'm putting on the list. I just started The Sentence by Louise Erdrich, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit too. I was put off her books for many years because I thought they were too depressing, but I've very much enjoyed the last few, and I think it's clear that I was wrong to avoid them for so long.
  • Catfish_Fan
    FitMary202 wrote: »

Is this the right time to admit that I've never read (or even really knew about) Sir Terry Pratchett? Doesn't look like my normal cup of tea, but I'm putting on the list. I just started The Sentence by Louise Erdrich, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit too. I was put off her books for many years because I thought they were too depressing, but I've very much enjoyed the last few, and I think it's clear that I was wrong to avoid them for so long.

Terry is best known for his fantasy series Discworld, you may like it better. It is 40-some books (not long books) and has various story ARCs following different characters. I haven't read any of that yet, but it is on my list, I have collected 2 of the ARCs in audiobook format to give it a go. (I guess you can read it in story ARC format or chronologically as it was published, either way?) He also wrote Good Omens with Neil Gaiman (of Sandman comic fame), which I think was a Starz show? It was on some network, I didn't watch that (because I haven't read it yet). Pratchett is supposed to be humorous and lighter, I will admit that The Long Earth series was lighter and at times cheesy. I liked the series overall, for something lighter from the speculative science fiction genre, but it might not be for everyone.
  • Btrflydog
    I read Good Omens a few years ago - it was quite funny - better than the mini series.
  • FaithT333
    FaithT333 Posts: 2 Member
    Breaking The Habit of Being Yourself by Joe Dispenza. Love it!!!
  • Catfish_Fan
    Rust in the Root by Justina Ireland
  • Catfish_Fan
    Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond
  • FitMary202
    Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond

I thought that was such an interesting, devastating study.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton
  • Btrflydog
    The Mayfair Bookshop - Eliza Knight
  • Catfish_Fan
    Micro by Michael Crichton and Richard Preston was disappointing.

Indexing by Seanan McGuire is not, so far.
  • Catfish_Fan
    Reflections (Indexing #2) by Seanan McGuire
  • Catfish_Fan
    The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V. E. Schwab (another gemstone found in the pile of rubbish in Kindle Unlimited)
  • Catfish_Fan
    Take My Hand by Dolen Perkins-Valdez
  • FitMary202
    edited February 2023
    The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V. E. Schwab (another gemstone found in the pile of rubbish in Kindle Unlimited)

Hahaha! Love this description, Catfish!
    I'm reading The Gray Earth by Galsan Tschinag. I really enjoyed the first volume of this memoir, The Blue Sky, and I think this one too is fascinating.
  • Btrflydog
    Family of Liars - E. Lockhart
  • Btrflydog
    The Witches of BlackBrook - Tish Thawer

Finished Family of Liars by E. Lockhart in 3 days. 5* - as good as We Were Liars in my opinion.