• LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Day 1, so far so good. 😎
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,685 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hi..I'm Pam :) I have tried keto twice before and as much as I really loved it, I developed a keto rash both times so bad that I literally wanted to peel my skin off! Who knew that there was actually such a thing?!? Well I am starting again and this time I have gone very lo carb. Hoping I can slide my way into keto without my stupid skin noticing. Anyone have any experience with this and some some words of advice? Thanks in advance!

I don't have a keto reaction, but do have a food reaction. Is it possible you've been exposed more to something recently in your keto diet that might be causing this? Or maybe, like me, you developed a new sensitivity?
    • I developed a late-in-life "DAIRY SENSITIVITY." It displays like a poison oak (or p.ivy or p.sumac) reaction, with a severe rash that last weeks, spreads all over (systemic) and is insanely painfully itchy. It also seems to include clogged sinuses/breathing and exhaustion, like my body is fighting something.
    • I've been tested since then which shows I do NOT have a DAIRY ALLERGY (which can cause anaphylactic shock and be life-threatening).
    • It's also NOT a LACTOSE INTOLERANCE which causes indigestion, diarrhea and/or gas.
    I've long been super sensitive to poison oak. But when I was 30-40 yrs old, there was an incident which I was sure was poison oak but with an unknown exposure. It was severe. A doctor eventually told me it wasn't poison oak. So I got allergy tests and followed procedures to rule out foods (by eliminating common trigger foods, and adding them back one-at-a-time). And after a year or so of testing, we discovered I reacted that way to dairy.

It happens if I
    • Eat dairy.
    • Or even touch it (wiping up buttercream frosting).
    • Or eat foods that have dairy ingredients, for instance, many breads have dairy in them, thus croutons and breadcrumbs can be triggers. Butter flavoring can include butter.
    • Have something that was cooked on a grill in butter (french restaurants), or where cheese melted off another dish (burger joints), or the same surface was used to prepare cheese (pizza or mexican food).
    • Get preparers who don't read ingredients, or waiters who don't ask cooks, etc. - so it is very hard to eat out.
    I currently got a mild reaction and so re-read the ingredients of everything I've had recently. Nothing said dairy, but two items have cocoa, which sometimes is prepared with dairy, so I'll avoid one at a time to see if it helps. BTW, if a canned food says "prepared on machinery that processes dairy" it is very likely contaminated.

This probably sounds like a lot, but there are safe places to eat (some asian, italian, american, etc.). But mostly I just prepare my own food from scratch or trusted sources.

So I don't know if this is what is happening with you, but I'm sharing my experience just in case it is.

Good luck,
    Paula

BTW, I now use almond milk, nut cheeses, coconut creamers, etc. and am happily lo-carb.
  • NanElisaP
    NanElisaP Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hello Folks,

I am new to MFP and started a KETO diet on 1/2/2023. Today is day 15 and I am down 20 pounds, Yay, and have about 130 to go... So far I have lost all the weight I gained in 2022 and my next short term goal is to lose the weight I gained in 2021 which is about 35 more pounds. Everything is going great with no cheats and no cravings!! The thing I love the most about Keto is that I can actually tell when I am hungry and not hungry. I can also tell when I'm comfortably full and stop, which is a Godsend. Looking forward to seeing new posts in this thread!! Thank you!!

@Stephen_LacaJr I'm hoping this thread becomes active also. I'm looking for the support. I've been on keto again for 8 days. So far I'm down 12 pounds. I have quite a bit more to go. I agree about keto. I also love that I feel hungry much less. Are you also intermittent fasting?
  • NanElisaP
    NanElisaP Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am looking for more low carb/keto friends on my mfp page to help with diary accountability, encouragement, and inspiration. Feel free to add.
  • PaulaKro
    Options
    NanElisaP wrote: »
    I am looking for more low carb/keto friends on my mfp page to help with diary accountability, encouragement, and inspiration. Feel free to add.

Sent you a FR, but I don't use my home page much.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options

You are welcome to add me. I log meals and am on every day.
  • PaulaKro
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hello Folks,
    I am new to MFP and started a KETO diet on 1/2/2023. Today is day 15 and I am down 20 pounds, Yay, and have about 130 to go... So far I have lost all the weight I gained in 2022 and my next short term goal is to lose the weight I gained in 2021 which is about 35 more pounds. Everything is going great with no cheats and no cravings!!
    The thing I love the most about Keto is that I can actually tell when I am hungry and not hungry. I can also tell when I'm comfortably full and stop, which is a Godsend. Looking forward to seeing new posts in this thread!! Thank you!!
    You described the magic of LoCarb/Keto perfectly!
    @Stephen_LacaJr I'm hoping this thread becomes active also. I'm looking for the support. I've been on keto again for 8 days. So far I'm down 12 pounds. I have quite a bit more to go. I agree about keto. I also love that I feel hungry much less. Are you also intermittent fasting?
    LifeChangz wrote: »
    how's it going?
    LovePBandJ wrote: »
    Day 1, so far so good. 😎
    2t9nty wrote: »

You are welcome to add me. I log meals and am on every day.
    Hi'all,

So nice to see so many interested folks here. I really need people's help to stay lo-carb again!

I stopped tracking and using MFP much after reaching goal because new eating habits easily kept me there. But a year ago the weight started creeping back. No problem, I thought, I'll just buckle down on the Keto and it'll all go away.

Well, it took ten months of trying and a sixty pound weight gain to get to the place where the cravings diminish. I lost ten pounds, but am plateauing right now; and know strict diligence is needed or it'll all come back +plus some.

Would love to hang with you all.
  • Stephen_LacaJr
    Stephen_LacaJr Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @NanElisaP - I am not intermittent fasting right now...

After a week long plateau at 313, I decided to moderately increase my calories and fiber and that did the trick. I am now back to losing about a pound a day and am down 30 pounds total. I am down enough now that I can safely add some low impact to my routine without hurting my knees and hips... Time to dust off the old Richard Simmons tapes. Broadway Sweat, here I come!!
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Congrats Stephen!
  • PaulaKro
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @Stephen_LacaJr Congratulations on your reset. Nice analysis and good job.

Thanks for sharing - it's nice to not feel alone. It's a challenge for me to know when we need to readjust. My case is wondering how strict keto needs to be.

Usually I avoid grains completely and get carbs in nuts, starchy veggies and an occasional fruit. But do other people ever feel the need to add grains sometimes? It comes with feelings of guilt for me, but perhaps it's okay?

At this point, it's a done deal for me, as the "cheat day" has been had. Hopefully it didn't derail the whole program, we'll see. I'm glad your adjustment worked. Wish me the same, okay?

And thanks for exercise reminder too - a great way to rev the metabolism! :sweat_smile:

• bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. MFP was really helpful for me a few years ago, when I went from being a couch potato to running a marathon over 18 months. A great side effect was that I lost 30kgs. A less good side effect was that I ended up with arthritis in both hips, became inactive, and had them both replaced by the time I was 42. I've regained about 35kgs over that time, and I'm ready to do something about it but need to focus with diet before exercise. So I'm here doing keto for the 2nd time.
    I'm about 5 weeks in, doing keto 800, and have lost 8kgs. I'm peeing on the sticks, but am not able to get into ketosis. I'm not that bothered as long as I keep losing weight, but it does bug me!
    Anyway, keen to make friends, be active here, and be accountable!
  • VictoriaNWest
    VictoriaNWest Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm trying to doing ketovore - mostly meat and very low carb (although some days I have more than others) I usually do about 1500 calories a day. I like friends with open food diaries. 800 calories a day sounds difficult to maintain for very long.
  • dja060
    dja060 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So happy to see this discussion!! Needing the support and motivation. Feel free to add me so I can see that motivation in my news feed. Started back strictly Mar 27. Previous lost significant weight, reached my goal prior, but Covid etc. in the last year got the better of me and I gained some back but inflammation in the joints.
  • DJill68
    DJill68 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    New here and just started on 4/3. Still learning how this app works. I have 70lbs to loose and some medic al issues. Wish me luck!
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!🍀
  • Tomsgal1985
    Tomsgal1985 Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    New here! Started low carb eating almost two months ago. Working my way down on the carbs, and down about 8 pounds currently. I’m 66 today 🥳 Have 80 pounds to go & working on reversing prediabetes. Watching Fat: A Documentary (free on YouTube) really helped me! Looking forward to learning from this group 😊
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Hi, Folks. I've been in and out of MFP for probably 7 or 8 years. I was recently started on a medication for a chronic condition and promptly gained 25ish pounds. Now I'm off the medication and trying to get back down so that I can fit back in my clothes. My initial weight loss was about 70 lbs but I'd be much more comfortable if I was 30 # less than I am now.
  • Stephen_LacaJr
    Stephen_LacaJr Posts: 20 Member
    edited May 2023
    Options
    @PaulaKro - Thank you for the Encouragement!!

Time for another update...

I hit another plateau at 269 for about 2 weeks. I finally broke it by having a "cheat week" I guess you would call it. Got completely out of ketosis, ate whatever I wanted but continued tracking everything and staying below 1500 calories. During the week I still stayed at 269-271. Then on Friday I went full Keto again and now on Monday I broke through the plateau and am now down to 265 and losing about a pound a day and am down 75 pounds total since Jan 2. LOL also have actually found my Richard Simmons workouts on YouTube and have been doing them 4-5 times a week. I know it's dated but he just makes you feel so good about yourself!!

Have fun and good health to all of you!! See you again soon!!