Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,930 Member
    Options
    ginger sesame cauliflower rice and frozen dinner -- done!

**kitchen disasters in the making**
    in the "oven" (who are we kidding, it's in the nuker!): kohlrabi "noodles" 301g, red onions 101g, sad looking roast beef cold cuts in need of revitalization 173g, and cateli, I'm too watery, garlic and whatevs tomato sauce.... contemplating rescue strategy to de-waterify... possibly nuke at half power uncovered with extra napkins?!?!?!?! :blush: RESCUE PERFORMED: 20g of cream of wheat and 2 minutes covered in the nuker with manual management.... sauce acceptably thick albeit, err... DIFFERENT! :hushed:

I guess I COULD have put it in the oven with a slice of cheese on top but that would be CHEATING on the nuker!!!!! :naughty:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Hope you have air conditioning Athijade! I remember those hot Midwest summer days of my youth. Of course I’d trade that in for this summer in Texas. It’s 106F right now. Your meal plan sounds sooo good.

I do have air conditioning thankfully. Wall units? They are under the windows in the wall, but pretty much look like a window unit. I have one in the living room and one in the bedroom. So those plus fans are working just fine. Some places in Chicago don't have air conditioning. There are a lot of apartments in OLD buildings.

Luckily after tomorrow the temps drop quite a bit. Highs in the 70's. So just have to make it these 2 days.

Working on meal plans through to my trip to TN.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Vacation in Tennessee or work trip? Hope it’s fun.

PAV - that sounds vile and ghastly! Cream of wheat for heavens sake! You do know you can mix up a spoonful of corn starch with water? Add the slurry to any thin sauce and it thickens the sauce nicely when it boils. Yes that even works in the nuker.

Or - thicken things up with a few spoonfuls of instant mashed potato flakes. Just stir in as much as needed after nuking your food. This method works because you can add a spoonful at a time until you’re happy. Bon Appetit!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Vacation in Tennessee or work trip? Hope it’s fun.

PAV - that sounds vile and ghastly! Cream of wheat for heavens sake! You do know you can mix up a spoonful of corn starch with water? Add the slurry to any thin sauce and it thickens the sauce nicely when it boils. Yes that even works in the nuker.

Or - thicken things up with a few spoonfuls of instant mashed potato flakes. Just stir in as much as needed after nuking your food. This method works because you can add a spoonful at a time until you’re happy. Bon Appetit!

Pfffffttttt...... yea of little faith! mashed potatoes would have been my first go-to but I was out! NONE IN THE CUPBOARD. But lots of cream of wheat! Corn starch.... err previous experiments were similar to oh, I don't know, similar to using a mixer in a yogurt container... something like that comes to mind. Cold water, hot water, medium water, stir here, stir there.... cream of wheat is so simple.... just like mash potatoes (it's the instant kind you know :wink:)....

It's fine! I wish the beef was hamburger cause it would have been WAY better. But that's not the fault of the thickener!!! :neutral:

Nah, for a rescue it's ok. The premise is defective... classico would have been much better to begin with! kohlrabi cooked and drained first also good idea.

I will research this strachy thingy someday!!! with mango maybe?!?!?!?!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Where are we going?!?!?!! How soon? Where's the plans?
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,730 Member
    Options
    Where you goin' Athijade???????

Instant cream of wheat? Didn't know that existed!

I'm prepping for my escape to Newfoundland on Monday. Everything this year has been on the fly - I cannot wait until my "vacations" do not revolve around surgery :(

Between now and then meals will revolve around freezer and fridge emptying. When I get home I'll have 6 days to stock the freezer with easy meals for post-chop-chop :)
  • Athijade
    Options
    Going with some family to the mountains of Pigeon Forge. I actually went to college in East Tennessee so it holds a special place for me. We are renting 2 cabins for a week. I am so excited. Not only is there a lot to do in the area, but I do plan on taking some me time. I need it.

Only a couple weeks before I leave!
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    @Athijade That sounds like a blast. My husband has been talking about going there soon. It sounds like a fun place. They have white water rapid rafting that I really want to try!

I am really wanting philly cheese steak for dinner tonight. I know that this is going to be higher in calories than I usually eat for dinner so today I am doing a super light day of eating and saving all my calories for this special treat tonight.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    That sounds like a good plan Scout... as long as you don't pull a *me* (I had one of the "saving calories for later" thingies backfire on me once when I was at the turn around point of a two plus hour walk... may or may not have contributed to cramps and other issues later that day!!!! :hushed::unamused:)

@Athijade this sounds AWESOME!

Laurie! Tripsies!!!! :sunglasses: The scheduling around medicals? NO COMMENT! :unamused:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    AthiJade… that sounds absolutely magical. I hope it is everything you could hope for.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Athijade- Pigeon Forge. Isn’t that where Dolly Parton's amusement park, Dollywood, is located?
  • Athijade
    Options
    Athijade- Pigeon Forge. Isn’t that where Dolly Parton's amusement park, Dollywood, is located?

Yep! And that is on the to do list. Along with a lot of other stuff. But we have plenty of time to do it all.

Yesterday I ended up doing a simple dinner. I marinated the steaks I was going to use for pepper steak in some teriyaki sauce. Then I made some frozen rice and frozen broccoli. Added a bit of kimchi to the plate and there you go. I had to work late yesterday, may work late again today, and may have to put in some hours this weekend so I am dead tired.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Medium chilli and a blueberry scone in a cafeteria! 🫣😡🤷‍♂️ not a real bunny in sight! Just pretend traces in the chili and the scone! 🥺
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Medium chilli and a blueberry scone in a cafeteria! 🫣😡🤷‍♂️ not a real bunny in sight! Just pretend traces in the chili and the scone! 🥺

Tomatoes or onions in the chili perhaps? Wheat flour in the scone?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    not a real bunny in sight! Just *pretend traces* in the chili and the scone!
    Tomatoes or onions in the chili perhaps? Wheat flour in the scone?[/quote]

Tomatoes, celery, onion, and kidney beans in the chilli. Dried blueberries in the scones. Maybe a bunny and a half per 1000 Cal?!?!?!?! :disappointed:
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Like leaving some veggies for the bunnies.
    \
  • PAV8888
    Options
    But... but... I don't WANT to!!!!

:lol:
  • PAV8888
    Options
    How goes the fridge clean up Laurie?
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    We all grieve in our own way and on our own schedule. Hopefully you can find some consolation and deal with your loss to move forward in a healthy manner. ❣️