PAV8888 Posts: 13,930 Member
    Options
    hmmm..... you're dealing with a lot.
    And everything is quite recent.
    Yooly is smart and wise.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I just snarfed two ice creams because I was upset at the absurdity of what I was being told on the phone!

Sure, if I am careful the rest of the day it will come out to maintenance (not overage)-but yeah, that was it in terms of a deficit for today!

It took less than 5 minutes to hit the freezer twice and rack in 600 Cal!

At least the "zero" cal pops and black coffee I'm drinking don't add to the calories! :blush:
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,982 Member
    Options
    Stress eating - never a good thing. I have bouts of stress eating. Then I’m still upset and more so for having blown all my calories on something I really didn’t “taste”.

I don’t think I’ll ever understand it. Why does my brain want food when there is no physical hunger? And food - especially crappy food - won’t fix emotional distress. How did emotions get confused with eating?
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    @Grammy_Maher thats a lot to be going through while trying to loose weight. If you don’t feel that talking it through with your kids maybe you could go talk to a therapist. I often have clients that come in that just need someone to talk to without judgment or bias. They talk it out for a few sessions and then feel better and are done. Everyone needs someone to emotionally “vomit” to.
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,730 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Fridge clean up management saved by the Bell Saturday… invited a friend last minute for a bowl of green soup with feta cheese and half a slice of rye bread. I had to do that because I didn’t eat Saturday’s share of the roasted vegetables and I hope to double up on the vegetables on Sunday but then I wouldn’t have room for that green soup. Lol.

I’m sharing these almost silly details because it is all actually doing something ridiculously good for my eating. “Having” to eat all of this food is leaving me inclined to not want to eat!
  • lauriekallis
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Grammy Maher, what a great challenge life has thrown your way. You must miss your husband so very much and feel very very alone despite the people around you who clearly love you. I know that would lead to me eating way more than what my body needs in some messed up attempt to fill that hole in my heart and soul.

I’m impressed you’re here and trying to get a handle on food and weight. That takes a lot of strength and determination to even try.

I hope the menu planning and CICO number crunching provide a good distraction and alternative way of keeping the lonely demons at bay.
  • 4M_7M_M4H3R_4EVA
    4M_7M_M4H3R_4EVA Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    hmmm..... you're dealing with a lot.
    And everything is quite recent.
    Yooly is smart and wise.

Thank you, I definitely know about emotional eating - I even have a meal on my MFP Diary called Unplanned & Emotional Eating, so far this week I haven't used it as much as I would have expected, but I also have a meal called Alcohol & that has been used a couple of times, but now I'm out of snacky rubbish foods & booze so I'm having to deal with my emotions & moods manually ... this could get messy 👌🏼
  • 4M_7M_M4H3R_4EVA
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    Stress eating - never a good thing. I have bouts of stress eating. Then I’m still upset and more so for having blown all my calories on something I really didn’t “taste”.

I don’t think I’ll ever understand it. Why does my brain want food when there is no physical hunger? And food - especially crappy food - won’t fix emotional distress. How did emotions get confused with eating?

I'm the same - I cannot fathom for the life of me why I eat to comfort myself when I know my waistline will punish me, & if that doesn't then my IBS, or ADHD will do ... it's crazy!

My solution to stop buying alcohol & junk foods worked when I lost all that weight between 2012 & 2014, I lost 164lb, but then I had an active job, my very own cheerleader (Andy) & less emotional baggage, so this time round it's proving harder to knuckle down.

I'll get there, it's a marathon, not a race ... I'm in this for the long haul 👍🏻
  • 4M_7M_M4H3R_4EVA
    Options
    @Grammy_Maher thats a lot to be going through while trying to loose weight. If you don’t feel that talking it through with your kids maybe you could go talk to a therapist. I often have clients that come in that just need someone to talk to without judgment or bias. They talk it out for a few sessions and then feel better and are done. Everyone needs someone to emotionally “vomit” to.

Thank you, I have called CRUISE & spoken to someone there, which to some degree did lighten the load, but I know I have to get through this phase of grief - In December 2022 when we found out our daughter was pregnant after 9 years of trying we were over the moon, but with Andy's kidney troubles & being a medical giant, therefore an unknown quantity when it comes to medical treatment (bless him he was a walking experiment right to the end) I told my parents that I would gain a grandchild in 2023, but lose my husband, to which they said I was being pessimistic, so his death whilst crushing was not a huge shock, but the timing of it - I thought he'd at least make it to my 50th birthday, but he made it 8 days past his 55th birthday in January.

Honestly, I do think that this is just a delayed reaction to losing Andy - I didn't really cry other than when they took him away the day he passed away & at his funeral, but now I am crying at pretty much anything - I've had to stop listening to music at home for the time being because it destroys me, as Andy & I loved music. I'm desperately waiting for his pensions to pay up, then I'll at least be able to afford to take myself away to see his family, but right now I can hardly afford a bottle of milk!

But thank you so much for your supporting words ❤️
  • 4M_7M_M4H3R_4EVA
    Options
    Grammy Maher, what a great challenge life has thrown your way. You must miss your husband so very much and feel very very alone despite the people around you who clearly love you. I know that would lead to me eating way more than what my body needs in some messed up attempt to fill that hole in my heart and soul.

I’m impressed you’re here and trying to get a handle on food and weight. That takes a lot of strength and determination to even try.

I hope the menu planning and CICO number crunching provide a good distraction and alternative way of keeping the lonely demons at bay.

Thank you, yes it definitely has thrown it all at me this year, but I will get through it, it's the evenings that I struggle with because Andy & I both worked, so evenings were our snuggle in front of the TV or reading a book time, but now I sit here alone & feel completely empty & alone some nights.

I used to enjoy meal planning - Andy said it helped him too, as he never knew what to eat, so was guided by my choices, so I'm trying to rebuild that habit & it's going OK, I have SIRI remind me every night to get tomorrow's dinner out of the freezer, because every Sunday night (when I'm sat in the reading room telling Andy about my week) I decide what to have for my main meals in the coming week.

CICO is not a 100% failsafe strategy - it does definitely increase your chances of seeing a loss, but I'm more concerned with my proteins, carbs & fats because 1,500 calories a day of sugary & starchy rubbish will be less than I burn, but it'll rot my teeth & leave me malnourished, so I focus on the macros, not calories, as I used to be a powerlifter, but had to retire due to an injury.

I only log calories because these sites insist you do so, but in general I'm not that bothered by them - I've had weeks where I'm 300+ calories over but lost several pounds, but then I've had weeks where I was in deficit every day, but actually gained weight (it was probably muscle gain, rather than fat gain because back then I was lifting some serious weight).

I know I'm starting from scratch again, so I am definitely appreciative of people's input when it comes to staying accountable, so thank you so much ❤️
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Well.. liquid calories are always "fun" (and definitely easy) to go down.🤷‍♂️

Dad, as usual, has lost a lot of weight (still obese but I'm about to go get him new clothes) a few months after he stopped drinking and started extra walking. He does just stop drinking when he decides to and it's crazy how he so successfully does that.

But he's 100% primed to regain his weight by planning where he is going to drink and eat even though his previous weight was leaving him breathless and unable to move due to pulmonary hypertension.

By the way... hug extended your way!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Laurie! Awesome work on the fridge clean up!!!

Hey, are you going to have time when you come back to pre cook recovery meals?

Do I need to send you.... lower mainland specials????😎
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Today was pretty good - except for the piece of celebratory gifted cake 🍰. Hubby and son will take care of the rest. I did sample some smoked cheese curds son found at the local grocery. There were a couple of festive chocolates.
    I didn’t log because ..... well just cause I didn’t want to know the damages. Back to the counting tomorrow.
    On a hopeful note, I did go to the gym this morning.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I’m glad you had a good birthday, Yooly. And you went to the gym!!!

LOWER MAINLAND SPECIAL!!! Even if I pre-cook meals I’m not telling you because they won’t be half as much fun 😁
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Lunch is usually my largest meal of the day. Today hubby prepared salad, small sweet potato and a rotisserie chicken leg. There was a dab of barbecue sauce too.

Topped off with a thin slice of birthday Italian cream cake 🍰 about 250-300 calories. Helping hubby to polish off the cake that my well-meaning friends gave me on my birthday. I think I need to leave the rest for hubby!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Made Oyakodon last night with some broccoli on the side since the main dish only has onions for produce. It was SO good and is so easy to make. I really should make it more often. Tonight will be leftovers. Then tomorrow night I am making Korean beef bowls. Luckily tomorrow is my Friday due to working last Sunday so I am taking Friday off. 4 day weekend! Then I work for 3 days and it is vacation time.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I had to look up oyakodon… I was thinking I could try vegetarian version and then realized it would be an awful lot like egg foo yong??
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Mostly the eating here has been ridiculous… but we did make green soup 🙂 so one meal a day on course …
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I've been absent! I have returned.

I am back on track since Tuesday morning. Two boring calorie controlled days during 12 hour shifts, nothing worth writing about. Yesterday ended up being an inadvertent fast (I worked but didn't feels good) with two cups of coffee with half and half in the am, and two big pickles at like 8pm.

Today I've had 3 eggs hard boiled with kerrygold butter, some coffee with half and half, some "ice cream" made in my ninja CREAMi with a fairlife Chocolate protein milk and dinner upcoming is an 8oz marinated shoulder steak (red wine vinegar, soy sauce, worchestershire, garlic, salt and pepper) and half a pound of button mushrooms sauteed with non stick spray, garlic, sage and beef bone broth.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    HMmmmmm. Pickles and coffee? When you don’t feel well already? I’m glad you’ve survived and are feeling better today.

Today was small turkey meatballs, cauliflower rice with a chunky tomato sauce and a small green salad.

I upped my calories up a bit rather than try to work with only 1200 calories a day. The goal is to eat at goal maintenance rather than deficit. Deprivation is not getting rid of the 8 pounds gained since last year. It might be slower but feels more doable.

Eat at maintenance and achieve maintenance?