Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - I think that is the best, healthiest way to approach the holidays. Enjoy it, maybe overdo a little and get right back to your normal eating. It doesn't happen often so don't feel guilty about enjoying yourself!

The apple festival was ok. It got really crowded so we basically just walked around (a lot) and looked at everything. There was not much apple butter in sight anywhere and none of the advertised apple butter demonstrations. The lines for the restaurant and bakery were consistently, crazy long all day so we didn't eat. We waited in line for the restaurant at one point and I took the opportunity to look in the window at the bakery and they had already sold out of apple products - no pie, no cookies, no bread. I could get cranberry or pumpkin but I can make those at home. When I checked in at the restaurant they confirmed that if the bakery was out of pie so were they, so we left. We went up to the cider house and the lines were equally as long but we were able to go in the store and just buy a quart of cider. Then we headed to In-n-Out for lunch cause we were all starving 😂
    DD and I commented that it was great to see it so busy, the area was hit with fires in the last year or so and in general struggles and depends on people coming up for apples and apple products, but it was so different from what we normally experience there. All in all I think we would go again, maybe earlier or just plan a day midweek like we normally do. And we had fun and got a lot of walking in.

DD goes home today and I will miss them. Last night after we went to bed I lay there listening to her voice and laughter as she and her partner were talking in the family room. It reminded me of when she was younger and had her friends over. Just felt so sweet to know she was there.

@CMorning99 - hope you had a nice Thanksgiving!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that you had a nice time at the apple festival, despite the long lines and being out of pie products @shanaber . It is nice to see it busy. I hope people didn't get turned off by things not being as advertised and will go back next year. I have the huge kettle that we used to make apple butter in when I was a kid...you know that ones that you keep a fire under and stir with a long wooden paddle. It was in a barn that my uncle used to own. My neighbor had bought the property and knew it was dad's, but it had been there for years. Before he passed away, he made sure that his wife knew it was ours and we were able to get it back. It needs a little welding on the stand, but I was really glad that I got it back into the family.

I'm sure you are going to miss DD. When I read your last paragraph, it made me tear up, it was so sweet. I hope she gets to come back for Christmas, so it won't be too long between visits.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks!

I haven't been getting on much since not much has been going on. (I say this as I will probably write a novel LOL).

All is well and status quo in the house. I am really working on not stressing and fixating on "to do's". I suspect I do it because I have nothing else to fixate on. I am not saying going back to work is the right answer, it is just my personality I guess...I like to have my teeth sunk into an adrenaline producing problem LOL. Right now our #1 issue is finding a new place to live.

TDay was quiet. DH and I made a prime rib and vegged. It is always a quiet affair now that I associate the day after as mom's death. We bought some water filters during the sales and that is about it...oh and DH got some new undies LOL. Romance is alive :wink:

Black Cat: He is hanging in there. We have come to just assume his IBS is the source of his energy and eating swings. The last 2 days he was a complete psycho around the house...today, he doesn't want to eat. Not much more we can do.

House: Yeah...it goes. I am waiting on a second quote for the final project prior to split...the driveway. Luckily all we have to do is add the turnout and extend the asphalt 20 ft into the driveway to make a "public approach". Unfortunately because the scope is smaller, the price goes up. Our first bid was $12827 minus 10% if I pay cash. I hope we get the second one soon and we can start next week. Who knows how long the paperwork is going to take. Everything else is on hold till we finish this.

Life: No luck on the life insurance/annuity. DH mentioned we just keep it since I never saw the money anyway. Just sucks how insurance works...spend all the money just to gamble on who gets it...especially when the actuaries are betting against you LOL. I have been trying to streamline our finances a bit with payroll deductions and that is an adventure. I still don't have a VA rating. I was scheduled for an EKG with the psycho heart doc again and 3 hours before my appt they called me and cancelled and told me to find another provider. So now I have to wait for the schedulers to find a new doctor and then it will go to the VA. I suspect I have another 60 days before my claim is submitted.

I am still taking my vitamins and my weight is 100% stable at 185. I haven't started walking yet since I am still dealing with fatigue but eventually I need to get over myself LOL. I need to pester DH to go walking in the evening...he has been in a funk lately and grumpy. Probably do us both good.

Reselling is going. There have been so many platform issues lately and return rates are going up. I am not isolated in this, but it is still something I am not used to. After all the returns from Nov - it seems my profit dwindled down to Oct balance. I need to grow a bit more but this is not for the faint of heart LOL. I have thought about going back to work but honestly I really enjoy not having the stress...or dreading Mondays LOL. We will see how it all shakes out, especially when it comes time to ask for a construction loan.

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 Glad for the update! It sounds like things are going pretty well. Everything seems so expensive in CA. I wouldn't be able to afford all of that. I hope you get the driveway complete, split done soon, find a place to live with time to spare, and get the house started. I know that will be exciting for you both. Laughed at your DH buying underwear...it could be romantic depending on what kind they are. :lol:

The insurance thing stinks, as does the cardiologist cancelling three hours before your appointment and telling you to find another doctor. Why was that? Did they say? I hope you get the VA rating soon. At least you should get a credit since it should be retroactive.

As for the weight, there is something to be said for being stable. At least you aren't going up and once you can add in some exercise, it might just push you over the edge and you'll start losing slowly. I hope so anyway.

I also hope your reselling picks up. I would think it would before Christmas, but maybe not. I know nothing about that.

Remember, you can always try a part time job or volunteer work that allows you to say "no" if you don't want to work when they ask you. Or, if you get a full time one, you don't have to stick with it if it isn't what you want. That's the nice part about being retired and working for "extra" money. You don't have to put up with crap. Just quit and find something else or nothing at all.

I am heading to FL tomorrow for the Space Force T - 10 miler on Saturday. They are calling for snow on my route tomorrow. I hope this is one of those frequent times when the weatherman is NOT correct. LOL They are also saying it may rain on Saturday for the race. I hope it doesn't, but also hope it isn't real humid either. I want Goldilocks weather.

I've not been eating well, so I'm happy that my weight is stable. I'll try to work on all of that after the new year. Not because of a New year's resolution, but because I know I have too many parties and gatherings to worry about it before then.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Trying to get back on track. Day 1 logging food.

Kevin had his second knee surgery yesterday.

Hope everyone is well.
  • CMorning99
    edited December 2023
    Options
    @quilteryoyo. Happy runnings at the T-10 Miler! It must be a Space Force wide thing because they are having one here at Vandenberg as well.

I 1000% could not afford this either. Thankfully Mom left me just enough money to do it.

@swenson19d. Welcome back! I think we all 100% understand where you are right now LOL.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Nice to see you back @swenson19d . I was wondering how you were doing. I didn't know Kevin had the first surgery, so I sure didn't know about this one. Is he doing okay with the recovery? Did he get injured or what?

Hahaha @CMorning99 . I'm glad your mom was able to do that for you. This is the anniversary of the formation of the Space Force, as you probably know. So, I guess that a T-minus 10 miler is the way they are celebrating. You should train for the one at Vandenburg next year! We could virtually run it together, 3 hours apart. :lol:
  • swenson19d
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Car ride home & making snarling face at Zara pup who wanted on me He’s still drugged
    kmph2avgaihk.jpeg
    p5udg9juziys.jpeg
    Kevin had surgery this summer on the right knee. TPLO With derotation. It’s a tibial plaining leveling osteotomy. This one was the left and just a TPLO. They cut the tibia and realign it to improve knee stability. He has a plate and screws on both now. He’d torn both ACLs with meniscus tears. The right knee was rotated inward as a birth defect. He’s doing okay. They give us trazadone to keep him quiet and off it. He’s a 10k $ dog now. 102 pounds of never met a stranger. Haha

Three years after losing Alex and am will or have the energy to start logging and making better choices.
  • CMorning99
    Options
    @swenson19d Poor Kevin, but he is one lucky pup. I feel ya on the $$...black cat is currently costing us $1K a month for chemo and meds :neutral:
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Poor Kevin. I hope all the surgery's help and he can live a relatively pain free life. I do hope that you get your energy back and make better choices for a healthier life style. Grief is so hard and I can't imagine what it is like to lose a child. Hugs!
  • CMorning99
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Hi Folks!

Another week! Another chance to keep this ball rolling.

DH caught a miserable cold last weekend and somehow I seem to have avoided it for a change. Usually it is the other way around.

I have been officially tracking calories for 1 week! I have MFP set for between 1650 and 1750 calories ...which based of my Apple Watch should be about a 350-500 cal a day deficit. I haven't weighed myself though, it doesn't seem important. We have holiday dinners tomorrow and Friday but that should be it.

We officially started on the driveway today and the county got my "last" check for the map filing. Nice to have something happening again.

Reselling has been the pits for sure. I don't know what is going on or if this is normal but my sales are down 47% from last month. I made more in Dec of 22 doing this part time! There seems to be so much drama on the platforms. Today I had a person open a return on eBay (an item defective return which is a ding on my account) for a $12 pair of leggings I sold her cheap to get rid of them...she has had them 3 weeks and it looks like she washed them or somehow put hole in them and wants her money back. Of course eBay is 1000% Customer is right and I just have to eat it. Really makes me think about going back to work...but then DH comes home and tells me his stories and I am in a rock and a hard place. He literally had to have a convo today with someone about how they could not ask to leave early when they have not accomplished their 2 tasks that they had all week to do.

I guess I will let it ride and see what the long game is. I wouldn't want to go back to work before June before my annual vacay anyway.

Black cat is declining again. Absolutely refuses to eat anything unless it is fancy feast kibble and only if I put it right in front of him a little at a time. He sees his oncologist on Monday so I guess we will see what she thinks...but honestly I think she is out of ideas. His ultrasounds look good, he isn't puking, he is alert, his kidney values are acceptable (barely)...he.just.wont.eat!!!

Well I best get to work...I had a 4 hour hair appt (this could get hold really quick maintaining this purple hair LOL).

Have a great week!

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 I'm glad things are moving forward with the house. I know you will be so relieved when the builders get started. I'm glad you didn't get sick and hope your DH feels better. Congrats on logging your food for a week. That's fantastic. I hope Black Cat starts to feeling better and that your reselling picks up. Some people don't seem to realize that they are taking money from real people when they do stuff like that, or they don't care. I just shake my head. I'm glad you are going to take until June before you make a decision about going back to work. And, as I've said a couple of times before, if you do, it doesn't have to be full time, unless you want it to be. Being retired gives you flexibility.
  • swenson19d
    Options
    Hi all.

I'm kinda hit and miss with logging, but I think Ive made it 4-5 days of the last 7. Last final exam was today. Now on to projects. The bathroom shower needs replaced. The foundation shifted and the plumbing didnt.

I felt so bad today. I made dd cry. She still lives with me. I popped into her room, while she was at work to leave a canvas print that I thought she might like, picked up some dishes, threw in a load of her floor clothes, and left a note on the ketchup bottle "Whale *kitten*. I had to eat my fish'dks sans ketchup. Hoarder". She came home, and got mad at at me and cried that she has no personal space. 28 is old enough to acquire said space, but I was respectful, apologised. Offered to buy her 2-3 days at a vaca spot 2.2 miles from the house (inn and cottages with hot tub, and personal space). She passed, apologised for being hormonal- I said dont dare apologise for such a thing. No worries. Wish she'd let me know sooner.

I had a dang mammogram last Friday. Saturday the report is up and a mass was found in the left. I'm in no way concerned. it happens, and isnt something til it is. Of course I shared the info with dd that Saturday making light of it being the remnants of my heart. I suppose she could be a bit emotional over her mum with cancer kinda scare. But she is smarter than that. So... poor kid.

I have this dipsht dog, Nina the doberman, who is just untrainable. She followed me outside today accidentally. So dog rodeo show for the neighborhood. She found a chicken (several piles of feathers), a coyote or bobcat or fox got and showed real focus tracking the thief. oh wait... Nina is a Kleptomaniac , maybe she thought she'd found her ppl? I think I am going to try to focus her on tracking games. She is sweet, just is not interested in leaving anything alone.

Hope everyone is warm!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d You need to check in more often. I didn't know you had a doberman. How many dogs do you have now? "Leave it" is such a hard thing to teach them. Tippy has the problem of selective hearing when she gets on a trail of something. I've learned I might as well save my breath. LOL I was proud of her last week though. I took her with me to FL. Once when I got her out of the car, I thought I had her leash on, but had somehow missed her head. She walked off and I just said, "Tippy, come here." in a clam voice, and she did! Shocker there, but so relieved. LOL

I hope when you talk to your doctor and maybe have other tests that the lump isn't anything to be concerned about. I was always hormonal like your DD. Mom used to tell me if I murdered someone she would testify for the PMS syndrome defense. LOL

I did do the 10 mile race in FL last Saturday. It was really not, so I was really slow. Ten minutes slower than last year, but still sort of in the middle of the pack. I'm happy with that. My official time was 2h24m4s. I loved the finish line photo that I received.
    bc5zbh48m5jn.jpg
    I'm flying across the finish line! I did walk almost the entire last mile, so was fresh for the final push.
  • swenson19d
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Love the Run! @Quilteryoyo!

We have Kevin & Sandy still. dh is still a pain. So I got Nina as my pup. She is 10 months old and 80 pounds. She is so big I forget that she is a pup. She is a backyard breeder dog. Then I got Zara, (and her sister, who I gave to our dog trainer), were free FB dogs and a mere 9 weeks younger. So thats 2 dobies! Zara is such a good dog. Nina is sweet as can be, just dern busy! Nina went to training and learned little restraint without a constant reminder. Kev & Sandy listen so well. They are often of leash. But I have had to watch Sandy, she has become reactive. I sent her back to training and it is much better, but still have to watch her. The Dobie girls are so much more aware than K&S were at that age or are currently.

Zara napping,
    Kev napping with his swollen Knee. I quit giving him med coz he wont stay inside off of it, insists on running outside to bark at things only the dogs can hear. It looks bad. I will give him some after the nap.
    Nina (with the "naughty collar) & Zara (with her ears up- my lil razzle dazzle) and Kevs shaved butt.
    8ryy0di4nbdg.jpeg
    687h79g6e7ei.jpeg
    buao9cmbj4iu.jpeg
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    That's a lot of dogs @swenson19d ! They are really cute. Puppies can be a handful, esp when they are big. :wink: Sorry DH is still being a pain. I hope Kevin's knee gets better soon.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - I love that picture of you too! You are definitely streaking across the finish line!
    @swenson19d - The Dobies are gorgeous and look like sweet girls! I hope Kevin's knee is better soon and heals well.
    Do you still have all the kitties too? How do they get on with all the big pups?
    I hope the lump is nothing serious. Did they do any kind of needle aspiration? Years ago I had a lump and they immediately did an aspiration thinking it was a benign cyst. When it wasn't they scheduled me for a lumpectomy and I was lucky - it was cancer but fully encapsulated so once it was out all was good. I am hoping for a benign cyst, lump, whatever for you!
    @CMorning99 - is there something that black cat really likes that you could give just to get some calories in? I don't remember what it was called but we used to have something at the zoo that came in a tube and was sticky but the animals really liked it. We used it for animals that weren't eating food whatever reason.

The last couple of weeks have been tough, especially this last treatment on Monday. I have been sleeping 10-11 hours over night and basically have no energy to do much of anything during the day. We did manage to get the Christmas tree up (fake with lights) and today I got some of our antique ornaments on it. Fortunately I don't have to be anywhere or do anything but it makes me feel pretty useless. DH has been wonderful, making sure I eat and taking care of things around the house and Hobbes rarely leaves my side. Mostly he is draped across my lap.

• swenson19d
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Hi @shanaber.

Yes we have Beary, Bean and a new kitten, Baylee. Bear gets lonely. He was quite upset losing Cori and Mochi within a week of each other.
    4mjhz5286co7.jpeg

We no longer have Cori, Mochi, Mallory, Goober & Noodles due to Bobcats or coyotes. Baylee isnt allowed out, we deter beary the best we can. Bean might go out in the front occasionally. Shes 14 and arthritic. The cats have a complicated relationship with the dogs. The dobie girls are prey driven puppies, so there is a lot of monitoring. I had eric put a cat passage hole in the bedroom door and the master bathroom door, and we have gates up only the cats can get through for safe spaces. Towers and shelves stratigically placed.

Had the follow up mammogram today.
    Conclusion is that it is a lymph node.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks @shanaber . I'm sorry the last treatment was so hard on you. It sounds like your husband is a great caregiver, and Hobbes too! So sweet. How many more treatments do you have? You're almost done, aren't you? Hang in there. I pray for you often.

@swenson19d I'm glad the follow up showed a lymph node, I think. That is good news, right? Do they have to do anything else? I'm glad the cats and dogs sort of get along. It's great that you made spaces for the cats to go when they need to "escape." I know I can't have a cat around. Tippy is NOT a fan. Sorry you lost a lot of your kittens to wild animals.

We had a Christmas pot luck on Sunday with mom's Sunday School class. Tomorrow, we have Christmas lunch with my cousin in assisted living. We're going to have Christmas with my neighbors on the 25th and with my family on the 26th, and then New Year's with the neighbor's. I'm hoping that will be it for the big meals for a while and I can get back to eating like I should. It's so hard during the holidays and I've learned to not even try, just enjoy. No need to put guilt on top of the calories. LOL
  • shanaber
    Options
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you! I hope you have a wonderful holiday surrounded by family and friends!

We are sticking close to home. We were supposed to have Christmas dinner with our SIL and our nieces but decided to play it safe and go for a visit only. One of our nieces lives in DC and we haven't seen her for a while. I really want to see her but my WBC and platelet numbers are really low, almost too low to allow me to have chemo (the oncologist debated and decided to go ahead with it but my final treatment will likely be postponed or canceled). So we will go, wear masks and have a short visit instead.
    I am hoping to take Hobbes out tonight to walk our neighborhood and see all the lights and decorations.

@swenson19d - it is so hard with cats to not let them go outside even when you know it is risky. They want to be out there chasing birds and lizards and what not. Here the risk is coyotes and cars. So many get hit on the busy streets. I hope over time the dogie girls will learn to coexist with the cats. I know it is possible, just takes time. I am glad you have put in measures that allows the kitties to get away from them when they have had enough. Hobbes had a cat at that breeder's house and loved her. Whenever he visited he was fine with her, like he remembered. Cats in our yard or in the neighborhood are a different story though and he points and barks at them.

@CMorning99 - how did you do with all the rain this last week. Your area really got hit hard it seems - 3"/hour for multiple hours is what we heard here. We got rain but nothing like that!