Downsizers Team Chat - DECEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,404 Member
    Options
    Question:

Tell us about your diet. Are you following a special diet such as keto or weight watchers? Do you weigh and measure your food? Why or why not? Do you read the labels on food before you buy it? Are there any foods you avoid because you can’t stop at one?

Remember, there is no judgement here. Everyone has to follow a nutritional plan that works for them.

I love the keto diet ...but since being injured and being sick I am having a hard time so I am just counting calories .. I am hoping to return in January to the keto diet ...I do weigh all my food and I do read labels
  • ChickieBoom22
    ChickieBoom22 Posts: 77 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Hi Downsizers!

What a crazy week this has been. I went holiday caroling with some members of my chorus...so much fun! Had an office holiday party and went to two friends holiday parties on Sunday. One was a cookie exchange and the other was a birthday/holiday party.

I have been practicing gentle dieting (is this a thing?) where I'm really kind to myself about my food choices and just promise to try again tomorrow if I do something that wasn't quite in my plan. Mostly I've been able to stick to my plan with some careful preparation.

Question:

Tell us about your diet. Are you following a special diet such as keto or weight watchers? Do you weigh and measure your food? Why or why not? Do you read the labels on food before you buy it? Are there any foods you avoid because you can’t stop at one?

Remember, there is no judgement here. Everyone has to follow a nutritional plan that works for them.

In 2013, I was introduced to a 12 step program for compulsive overeaters that was an offshoot from OA. I stuck to it religiously for 2 years and lost over 110 pounds. The program is incredibly restrictive and you essentially give up all carbs with the exception of fruits and vegetables. No bread, no rice, no potatoes, no alcohol, no sugar. I tried three times to commit to this program over the course of 10 years and I just couldn't do it. Mostly because I couldn't envision a future where I never ate cake, bread, pasta or drank alcohol again. It was always a diet for me and not a lifestyle.

I started working with a nutritionist at the end of last year and she helped me incorporate the things from that program that I liked and leave the things that I didn't like out. I track my food. Plan my week around events that are important to me but mostly I don't beat up on myself if things aren't perfect. Most days I eat like this:

Breakfast: 8oz full fat plain Greek yogurt, 8oz fruit (strawberries, blueberries, bananas - whatever I want) and 1oz granola
    Lunch: 16oz raw veggies (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, broccoli, peppers, spinach) 2tbsp salad dressing where sugar is not one of the first five ingredients and 4oz protein (chicken, shrimp, tuna, lean beef etc)
    Dinner: 8oz cooked veggies, 8oz raw veggies and 4oz protein

I drink coffee and creamer in the morning and tea and water throughout the day.

But if I go to a cookie party...I eat cookies.

The weight loss has been slow but steady for me.

Weigh-in day: Monday
    PW: 235.2
    CW: 234.7

Hope everyone has a great week!
  • prodigal6766
    prodigal6766 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Question:

I don’t think I am in ketosis, but I am heavily restricting my carbs. I gave MFP my goals and it came up with a certain amount of calories that I need to stick to, so I do, and I do measure everything so that I can be accurate. And I do read the labels. I have to.
  • aactuallyaash
    aactuallyaash Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    @lindamtuck2018

Aactuallyaash
    Tuesday
    Pw230.4
    Cw232.2

Thank you!
  • Hotspur11
    Hotspur11 Posts: 2,659 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I did my weigh in yesterday
  • Mama530
    Mama530 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Weigh In Day: Sunday
    PW : 216.7
    CW : 214.7

STEPS:
    12/3: 17,992
    12/4: 13,697
    12/5: 15,108
    12/6: 13,581
    12/7: 13,679
    12/8: 5,465
    12/9: 7,585
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,508 Member
    Options
    iLive2Walk wrote: »
    Question:

I'm not following any special diets, jut calorie counting. I try to weigh and measure everything I eat. I recently changed the way I track. I figured out how many calories I would need to maintain my weight at my goal weight and turned off the excercise credit on MFP. I used to allow myself 1/2 of the the calories gained by exercise, but my weight loss slowed down considerably as I am gettting closer to goal. If I just removed the exercise, the 1,200 calories that MFP gave me was WAY to low for me to sustain, so had to figure out something else. This seems to be working for me for now. I also try to intermittent fast (8 hour eating window). If pizza is on the table I can't stop at one piece - only have it on occasion. I also have cut out the alcohol which tends to make me forget my goals.

I never could do 1200 calories. Way too restrictive for me. I chuckled at your alcohol comment. It certainly does that. I hate having to log alcohol when I have it. When I was in the Dominican last year, I wouldn’t want to see my calories. I can only imagine how many calories in a pina colada. I am making Newfie Christmas slush this year. Maybe I should calculate the calories before I buy the ingredients. It might make me reconsider. It has a couple of kinds of juice, frozen lemonade, sugar and vodka.

Question

Tell us about your fitness routine. (Type, how often, etc.). Is there any type of exercise that you haven’t tried but would like to do?

I did a 6-week full body strength program that I liked. I have been incorporating it into the gym day split I've gone back to. My gym days are push, pull, legs, full body with a 30 min 1.5 mile(ish) walk after lifting and non-gym days are a 1 hour 3(ish) mile walk.

I want to try reformer Pilates because it looks interesting, fun and challenging. I haven't tried it because the classes are pretty expensive. I've done home Pilates videos in the past, but I find them so boring. It seems like something I'd enjoy in a class setting.

I used to love going to group fitness classes. Sounds like you have a great fitness plan.

• lindamtuck2018
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Hi Downsizers!

What a crazy week this has been. I went holiday caroling with some members of my chorus...so much fun! Had an office holiday party and went to two friends holiday parties on Sunday. One was a cookie exchange and the other was a birthday/holiday party.

I have been practicing gentle dieting (is this a thing?) where I'm really kind to myself about my food choices and just promise to try again tomorrow if I do something that wasn't quite in my plan. Mostly I've been able to stick to my plan with some careful preparation.

Question

In 2013, I was introduced to a 12 step program for compulsive overeaters that was an offshoot from OA. I stuck to it religiously for 2 years and lost over 110 pounds. The program is incredibly restrictive and you essentially give up all carbs with the exception of fruits and vegetables. No bread, no rice, no potatoes, no alcohol, no sugar. I tried three times to commit to this program over the course of 10 years and I just couldn't do it. Mostly because I couldn't envision a future where I never ate cake, bread, pasta or drank alcohol again. It was always a diet for me and not a lifestyle.

I started working with a nutritionist at the end of last year and she helped me incorporate the things from that program that I liked and leave the things that I didn't like out. I track my food. Plan my week around events that are important to me but mostly I don't beat up on myself if things aren't perfect. Most days I eat like this:

Breakfast: 8oz full fat plain Greek yogurt, 8oz fruit (strawberries, blueberries, bananas - whatever I want) and 1oz granola
    Lunch: 16oz raw veggies (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, broccoli, peppers, spinach) 2tbsp salad dressing where sugar is not one of the first five ingredients and 4oz protein (chicken, shrimp, tuna, lean beef etc)
    Dinner: 8oz cooked veggies, 8oz raw veggies and 4oz protein

I drink coffee and creamer in the morning and tea and water throughout the day.

But if I go to a cookie party...I eat cookies.

The weight loss has been slow but steady for me.

Weigh-in day: Monday
    PW: 235.2
    CW: 234.7

Hope everyone has a great week!

I think your gentle diet sounds good. I think all we can do is get up each morning and try to improve on what we did the day before. Also, not beating ourselves up is so important. Nice loss! Remember slow and steady wins the race. It took me almost 4 years to reach my goal weight but that’s ok.

Hotspur11 wrote: »
    Pretty sure I did my weigh in yesterday

I have your weight. I mark all the weight comments with an insightful when I note them.
    Mama530 wrote: »
    Weigh In Day: Sunday
    PW : 216.7
    CW : 214.7

STEPS:
    12/3: 17,992
    12/4: 13,697
    12/5: 15,108
    12/6: 13,581
    12/7: 13,679
    12/8: 5,465
    12/9: 7,585

Nice loss!
  • FindingSamMon
    FindingSamMon Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970

Steps

Goal: 6,000
    12/10 - 9,811
    12/11 - 12,515
    12/12 - 7,393
    12/13 -
    12/14 -
    12/15 -
    12/16 -
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Steps: 4,785
    Rings:✔️
    Daily walk:✔️

Met all my goals yesterday. Today’s goals: steps, close the rings and have a nap. I have to get my Christmas list sorted out so that’s another goal.

Have a great Wednesday!
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    v6w7cl4f0n4t.jpeg

No Wednesday weigh ins

Thursday
    @NachDeezy

• lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Wednesday Question:

What do you expect to gain from this team? Is there anything we can change? Do you have any suggestions? We are always open to new ideas.

• lindamtuck2018
    Options
    @Megan_smartiepants1970 @prodigal6766
    I have thought about trying keto or low carb in the past. I know lots of people have had great success doing them. I watched Megan lose over 100 pounds doing Keto. One reason I haven’t is I don’t know if I would have the discipline to stick to it so kudos to you both.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    I have thought about trying keto or low carb in the past. I know lots of people have had great success doing them. I watched Megan lose over 100 pounds doing Keto. One reason I haven’t is I don’t know if I would have the discipline to stick to it so kudos to you both.

Thanks ... I find it one of the easier diets to follow ... I just can't stand long enough to meal prep ... I will be starting physical therapy in January according to my Dr ... crossing fingers that I finally get to start PT .. I want my life back without being sick or injured
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    I have been very confused on where to share things and what to share. I also didn't loose anything as of yet. I had a rough week last week and I didn't make the best choices. This week I am back on track and I have batched cooked my meals for the week. I am focused on making change.

CW-194.8

12/01/23--steps 8,983 exercise 33 min
    12/02/23 11,071 34 min
    12/03/23 9,283 51 min
    12/04/23 13,685 41 min
    12/05/23 12,979 40 min
    12/06/23 9,324
    12/07/23 10,099
    12/08/23 7,178
    12/09/23 8,339 30 min
    12/10/23 9,476 30 min

I have added you to the step challenge...I need a pledge of how many steps you will be doing daily ...Thanks
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Options
    4gmvazd7f5x6.jpg

DECEMBER WEEK 1 RESULTS
    TOP 5 STEPPERS ARE:
    1st @iLive2Walk 139,251 steps
    2nd @Prodigal16766 100,722 steps
    3rd @Hotspur11 90,822 steps
    4th @Mama530 87,107 steps
    5th @myhands4God 70,887 steps
    GREAT JOB EVERYONE :):):)
    As A Group We Walked 896,193 steps
    Fantastic Job Everybody :):):):)

RECOGNIZING EVERYONE WHO PLEDGED THEIR STEPS:
    @lindamtuck2018 5/7
    @aactuallyaash 0/7
    @itladyee 1/7
    @Mama530 5/7
    @adianeschu 7/7
    @Hotspur11 7/7
    @RoblinB 7/7
    @laquita606 3/7
    @Slimmersixties 0/7
    @Learningmoments 2/7
    @iLive2Walk 7/7
    @FindingSamMon 6/7
    @Prodigal16766 6/7
    @myhands4God 7/7
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options

Thanks ... I find it one of the easier diets to follow ... I just can't stand long enough to meal prep ... I will be starting physical therapy in January according to my Dr ... crossing fingers that I finally get to start PT .. I want my life back without being sick or injured

I hear you. Between my back, the neuropathy, med changes and the nausea it’s been down right depressing.
  • lindamtuck2018
    Options
    Steps: 5,566
    Rings:✔️
    Daily walk:✔️

Really don’t understand how I got many steps. I spent a lot of time sitting in my chair yesterday. Today’s goals: steps, rings, walk, Christmas cards and get that pesky gift list done. I am starting to stress about Christmas which will not help my sleep issues and could lead to binge eating.

Hope your day goes well.
  • FindingSamMon
    FindingSamMon Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Steps

Goal: 6,000
    12/10 - 9,811
    12/11 - 12,515
    12/12 - 7,393
    12/13 - 3,826
    12/14 -
    12/15 -