Shape Shifters Team Chat - JANUARY 2024

Options

Replies

• Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    @bearchested You asked to be excused for several weeks, so we currently have you on support. Do you want to be back to the weigh in group?
    @pedal__power Oh how fun! I also really like having everything in one spot, though I still track in different places. I like the rainbow tracker because it is really clear which things are good. I hope you will keep using and enjoying your paper calendar!
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,207 Member
    Options
    Hi team shapeshifters!

Could 2 different scales give me different results?

When I joined, I had just weighed myself using a digital scale at the pharmacy. Then a day or two later I tried the digital scale at home, and it got me 4 lbs heavier 😳 worst part is, when I moved the scale from one spot to another, there was like a whole pound difference lol

Is this common with digital scales? It’s a fairly new scale.
    Yes, it's common for scales to be sensitive to being moved. Digital scales usually have a way to recalibrate them, often by pressing and holding a button on the bottom.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,207 Member
    Options
    Daily step goal: 10,000
    Tue 1/2: 12,594
    Wed 1/3: 14,551
    Thu 1/4: 11,289
  • tatilove1988
    tatilove1988 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Cyncia85 wrote: »
    Pupowl wrote: »
    @tatilove1988 It is very common that different scales give different weight readings. It is best to just use the same one when possible. making sure the scale is on a flat and hard surface is also very important. I can only weigh in my bathroom. If I put it in the bedroom that has a softer floor, it gives me a different reading. While the gain is annoying, I would just go with your scale at home since that is the one you have most access to. We can update your starting weight so you won't immediately start off with a gain. Just let us know the new number and then weigh in again on Saturday. :smile:

Hi, thanks so much for your answer 😃. The new number is 192.4 instead of 188. It’s really odd that it’s such a big difference.

I’m wondering if I should switch to a mechanical scale. Or at the very least, get a better digital one. I hate the thought that I might be getting the wrong reading depending on where I am.

Anyway, thanks again! Happy new year 🥳

@tatilove - my thought on this is to not focus on the number from the scale. When I go to the doctor and they weigh me the number is usually higher for a few different reasons. If you have the funds for a scale, great, otherwise use the scale you own - save your money for something else. Also, it is earth friendly to keep what you own if it still does the job (in my humble opinion). I would focus more on how you feel. You could incorporate tape measurements if you're not doing that already.

Be consistent with your scale. Same spot and roughly same time of day when you step on the scale. Be aware of how you feel when you're stepping on the scale as well.

All great advice! Thank you so much

• tatilove1988
    tatilove1988 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi team shapeshifters!

Could 2 different scales give me different results?

When I joined, I had just weighed myself using a digital scale at the pharmacy. Then a day or two later I tried the digital scale at home, and it got me 4 lbs heavier 😳 worst part is, when I moved the scale from one spot to another, there was like a whole pound difference lol

Is this common with digital scales? It’s a fairly new scale.
    Yes, it's common for scales to be sensitive to being moved. Digital scales usually have a way to recalibrate them, often by pressing and holding a button on the bottom.

I will do that! Thank you 🙏
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,792 Member
    Options
    Angmarie28
    Fridays
    Previous weight-184.4
    Current weight-183
  • SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    @Armygirlarmyof1 Good luck with your knee surgery next week. We will be thinking of you.

Steps

1/5. 12,398
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,088 Member
    Options
    @casandraw Hope you feel better soon!! OUCH!

@Armygirlarmyof1 Better you than me! I hate snow...just raining here. Be safe.
    Jessica
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,088 Member
    Options
    m6ry7hlljfsg.png

STEP CHALLENGE RESULTS - DECEMBER

Wk 1 - @Pupowl with 137,175 steps!
    Wk 2 - @Pupowl with 127,877 steps!
    Wk 3 - @Pupowl with 129,427 steps!
    Wk 4 - @Pupowl with 129,403 steps!

It's a clean sweep for the month for Pupowl! WTG gal!

TOP 3 WALKERS

1. @pupowl with 523,882 steps!!!
    2. @SavageMrsMoose with 439,265 steps!!
    3. @frankwbrown with 371,161 steps!

Overall, as a team, we walked nearly 2.8 million steps! Great job to all who participated!

Jessica
This discussion has been closed.