Runners that need some nutritional accountability

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that your WBC is so low @shanaber . I'm glad that you have decided to go for a visit with family, but are being super careful. I hope your final treatment doesn't have to be postponed for too long and you start to feeling more like yourself soon!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your families!
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Good morning folks!

@shanaber You are a tough cookie! Get your rest and I am thinking about you!

Happy Holidays everyone!

We are chugging a long here. @Shanaber that rain was non-stop! We ended up getting 3 inches over the course of 2 days but I am pretty sure most of that was within a couple hours and then it just dripped the rest of the time. All I could think about was my OC (Orange County) neighbors who did all that DIY grading 2 years ago and their epic washouts. They had all summer to get out there and plant whatever would grow...but they ended up just putting waddles at the bottom and plastic tarps? They lost a lot of dirt again this storm but maybe not as much as last year.

Overall life has been pretty mundane with occasional punctuations of "oh $h!t". The last one was when they were working on the driveway (which they still have not finished), they turned on a water line I told them as broken and forgot to turn it off. My tenant called me and said she could hear the meter spinning from 10 feet away. Our water pressure up there is crazy and I don't know how long it was running. I am bracing for a $1K water bill though....our county never lifted all the fines/fees for over using water like the other counties (probably too juicy of a payday).

Reselling was absolute crap this month, my sales are down 41% from last month still. A lot of people said that sales were dismal this year. I am grateful I can roll with it (for now) and not worried about money thanks to DH. I was reading thought that a lot of new resellers came on the market during COVID and money was plentiful since everyone was stuck at home; and now that we are settling back down, sales are slowing back to "normal"... us youngin's just don't know normal though LOL.

Black cat...oh that damn cat. He had his oncology appt and he GAINED 1kg. I have no idea how, he does.not.eat! His cough is back but he tested neg for any infections but we started a low and slow dose of antibiotics. His kidney values went up enough to warrant attention, probably from all the junk food he eats. He has an appt with internal medicine in 2 weeks. Overall he is very meh and sleeps so hard. His front leg (he is a tri-pod) seems to have mostly given up too from arthritis. He is really struggling to walk and just kinda scoots and then flops. Whenever I see him get up, I give an assist to whatever is in the direction he is heading.

I am doing pretty well. My neck locked up about a week ago but finally relaxed. I stopped tracking but weighed myself and still exactly 185lbs. I have 2 of my old running buddies trying to get me to run again, but IDK, I am just tired still. At least I think that is the reason.

Well, I best get to work. I am going through and doing my annual inventory and checking numbers and pulling items that were bad buys. I also need to start working on my victim statement for sentencing...but it crossed my mind the other day they may "accidentally" forget to include me with how they have turned.

Have a happy new year!

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 Can you get whoever was working on your driveway that didn't turn the water off to pay for the overage, since it was their fault? I'd try anyway. I'm sorry the reselling is down so much. Glad you aren't counting on it for your primary source of income. That will give you time to hold on and figure out how to make it work. Awww. Bless Black Cat's heart. I hope he perks up some soon. Staying the same weight is a good start in my book. Maybe you could just give a short run a try and see if you are up to it. Getting out with your running buddies may be just the thing you need to reinvigorate you. As for the sentencing, can you check on it somehow and make sure you are included...as web site or something. There should be something for families to know what is going on. I hope you and DH have a very Happy New Year!

I only have a couple of more holiday get togethers to go to, so hopefully I can get back on track with my food soon....it will be after the New Year though, since one of those gatherings is on New Year's day for the traditional foods plus.

Happy New Year to you all! I hope 2024 brings us health, prosperity, friendship, and love.
  • swenson19d
    swenson19d Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Well. We lost Baylee. Poor Bear just cant keep friends.

To a New Year and a New Start
    I renteded an apartment. Dh just wont let up. I'll spare the details for you and not having to revisit the mental chaos. I am in love with this apartment, that I have yet to see IRL. I must dream of it. I've woken up happy and excited to settle into my oun space. @CMorning99 I remember you renting a "bougie apartment" and I couldn't picture what it'd entail. I looked for 3-4 days at dirt cheep not-so-great to decent and clean without making decision. dh was on again while I was looking for safe space and this one poped up. It was a decision of in-the-moment desperation. Downtown, security, parking garage, only residents can get in the elevator, i can have 2 pets, and definitly more than I wanted to spend. But I must be in love with it and happy to escape soon. I can feel a wiggle dance within me.

Dh is not coming to terms with divorce no matter how many times I tell him. He knows about the apartment and has tried to be on his best behaviour since. He isn't likely to be able to hold it together and not become explosive.

dd seems to be emotional over me leaving. IDK. I showed her the listing and told her that she was welcome to spend a weekend or vacation time there away from everyone, assuming that I am here. She was catty about it all. Water off a ducks back. I'm not responsible for her. She is 28.

I'll just plan on keeping the apartment until all is settled. Attorney told me to get somewhere safe back in April. So I am following her advice. Will file ASAP, after the new year. Which will surely escalate matters at home.

I have a friend!
    I have a lunch date with the nurse who I precepted with. She is also picking up the cello after a long hiatus and she likes shows! We have plans to see Wicked in march. She also has offered me lodging if needed. Which I am hesitant to encroach in anothers space esp when needeing my own. Or ever really.

wishing everyone a safe and ever-so-happy New Year!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Oh no @swenson19d . So sorry to hear about Baylee. Sorry about your living situation too. I'm always sorry to see a marriage end, but understand that sometimes it is the only safe thing to do. I'm glad that you have found an apartment that you love. Hang in there and I hope your 2024 is a good one.

I had a nice day today. Mom and I had a traditional New Year's lunch with some of the neighbor's and had a good visit. Then, we spent the rest of the afternoon with other neighbor's and gave their kids their Christmas presents from us. After they opened them, we played UNO for a while. So much fun.

I hope to get back to better eating soon. It's so hard during the holidays. Last year I had hoped to lose 14 pounds. Well, that is still my goal again this year as I am at about the same weight as I was then. At least I didn't have any "real" gain in 2023. Eating less processed foods helps, or at least it did back in 2020 when I had time to cook a lot more. I'm working on it.

Last year I did exceed a couple of goals. I had hoped to run/walk an average of 70 miles for month. My lowest mileage for a month was 80, with a max of 94 miles. So, I did great with that one. I ran/fast walked a total of 1014 miles in 2023 - goal was 1000 with adding in tennis, mowing, gutters, cutting trees, etc. So I blew that one out of the water.

For 2024 I am hoping to run/fast walk 1020 miles and total with adding other intentional exercise 1500 miles. That is pushing it, but hope I can. I also want to lose that 14 pounds.

Do you have fitness goals you want to share?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Argh... lost the post I was typing so will try to recreate it. ๐Ÿคช
    @swenson19d - I am so sorry DH is being so awful. I know it has been bumpy/rocky for a while now but I honestly thought he would come around and at least try to be a partner. Like @quilteryoyo I am sorry to see your marriage end but sometimes it is the best thing for everyone involved. I am happy you have a safe place to go and that it is one you like not just something because you need to get out right away. Will DD be safe there at the house or will she be going to a friend's or getting her own place?
    I am so sorry that you lost Baylee, kitties just don't understand the danger and can't compete with all the hungry critters. What are you going to do with the puppies and Beary if you can only have 2 in the apartment? I know there isn't any of them that you won't miss if you can't have them with you.

@quilteryoyo - you have done great and been so consistent getting your runs or a walk in everyday. It is awesome that you were over 80 miles every month. That is what consistency is all about and I am sure it has made a difference in your pace that has been improving too. I am always amazed at all the activities that you do: cutting trees, moving logs, tennis, etc...

@CMorning99 - how was your New Year's?

I finally felt strong enough to take Hobbes out for a walk around our neighborhood. I had no expectations but felt well enough to get in 2.3 miles to start the year. The rest of the week I have appointments every morning but I am hoping maybe I can get something in when I get home. I put 1000 miles in run the year for 2024 but that may be high depending on when or if I can get back to 100 run/walk miles/month.
    @quilteryoyo how do you calculate your other intentional exercise 'miles'? I am also looking at my steps and hope to get back to averaging 10-12000 steps per day or more.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thank you @shanaber . I track the miles for the other exercise with my Garmin. I turn it on because I want to see the calories I burn and it gives me distance traveled. One issue is that when I play tennis indoors the building is metal, so Garmin doesn't locate the satellites and it will give me like .3 miles when I know it is a lot more. I will just count it as 0.3+ miles. So, the quick answer is, if Garmin is tracking an exercise, I count whatever distance it records.

I do hope that your appointments go well and you will get back to running soon. You're last treatment is coming up, isn't it? Are you going to do something to celebrate?
  • shanaber
    Options
    Thanks @quilteryoyo - I use my Apple Watch and starve but they don't give me miles like that. Well the Apple Watch does give it for the day overall but not by activity unless I specify a walk or run.
    The appointments this week will determine what happens next. Because my WBC is so low and unless it has magically rebounded my 12th (and supposed to be final) treatment will be postponed or cancelled. If I am truly finished with chemo we are going to have a celebratory dinner and wait a couple months for all the chemicals to get out of my system and the take a trip up north - at least that is the plan so far. We also have plans to go to the Tetons, Yellowstone and up into Montana at some point. We have friends in ND we would like to visit as well.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    That sounds like great plans @shanaber ,
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @CMorning99 You have my condolences on the loss of black cat. Our pets do become our family and it is hard to lose them. I'm glad that the reselling picked up and you are feeling more positive about that. I hope you find a new place to live soon and that the house does get built before next Christmas. I also hope they somehow missed the huge water usage and you are in the clear for that. Here's to a much better 2024 for you and your DH.
  • swenson19d
    edited January 8
    Options
    Swear I left a post a few days ago...

Baylee is back. So odd. But Bear is happy to have his baby kitty!

Dh is still a massive pain.

Apartment is coming together and I look forward to being there. I miss my pets though. Dh starts in and I leave, then he calls 30 times. I took Sandy and Nina last time. Sandy is fine. Nina is a mess. The utmost ADHD dog ever. Wanted to ride the elevator up and down all night to visit the night security guard, whom had dog teats. (think "whom" is proper there? Trying to learn English). Had a temper-tantrum when I said "no. Go to bed", and shredded a cardboard box. Then fell asleep at my feet. I try to give something to destroy before bed. No idea why she possesses so much destructive energy. She is stimulated with games, toys, and other pups. Smart though. She picks stuff up so fast. Anyway, no more nina in the apt. I am going to try to stay home (with pets) mon-thurs. Then thurs -monday in apt. dh wont clean or take care of the pets. Nina gets into everything and Zara and Sandy think it must be okay. The pack is about to get wild. Dh cant/wont close a door or gate or put stuff up. Nina will get meds.
    Dh took my photos of Alex down while I was gone. Placed a necklace containing ashes "protected" by a Thoth statuette out in the shed because he "didn't like it staring at him". Mentioned donating all my clothes to good will if i left. He hid my laptop. Tries to get in my phone using Face ID when I'm asleep... Exhausting and unrelenting psychotic childish behaviour.

Dh isnt keen on me leaving. So he bought a travel trailer that he wont use, and he wont leave. I am always ready in seconds to leave. Just fyi- i am a liar and a cheat. He is unreasonable. Just a volcano of hate.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @swenson19d I'm sorry that you are going through this. I'm glad you do have the apartment in order to have a safe place on the weekends, and at other times if needed. I'm sorry that you are having to leave your pack in that situation, but understand that you can't take them all. I'm glad Baylee is back! (I don't know if "whom" is correct or not. English grammar is NOT my thing either.)
  • shanaber
    Options
    Awww @swenson19d I am so sorry he is being this way. I am sure the pups are feeling the instability and anger and reacting accordingly. As a therapist I can't imagine him being this way but I guess he just doesn't see that he, himself, is being so petty. Also FWiW I know you are no liar or cheat. Please take care of yourself and stay safe.
    I am so happy baby Baylee is back! I guess she was just out exploring. Maybe she will stay around with Beary!

I also thought I had a post I don't see. I know I responded to @CMorning99 about Black cat ๐Ÿ’” It is so hard to lose them but can really uncomplicate your life when they have been so sick.

I had my final 12/12 chemo treatment today. Happy to get it over with. I know I will have a few rough days and then it will get progressively better. I am going to call and see about the radiology oncologist appointment. I did find that the City of Hope is also in my insurance plan and works with the doctors and cancer center I currently go to so I have options.
    After every treatment my DH got me roses. One for each treatment up to that point, so today was a full dozen. He has been so great and making sure I am well taken care of.
    ao48ku18zros.jpeg
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @shanaber I'm so glad your last treatment is over. You're husband is a keeper for sure!
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @CMorning99 hugs regarding black cat. My missing post also was to you. It is hard to lose them. You did good by him though. Sure he loved you with all his wee kitty heart and soul for being the one to love him. I told dh, ages ago, that the human soul was judged by animals, particularly those in our care. It really resonated with him and he does better with them.

Still setting up the apartment.
    I found a fancy french dresser and a sectional on FB marketplace. Both are being delivered by the sellers. An absolute joy. I dont need all the furnishings, but it will make it that much more enjoyable, creating my safe space. I am home now. Had to see my pups. Dh is being a bit nicer.

School starts again next week.
    Nice that 2 classes have opened already and I can get organised and chip at the work.

must run...

• swenson19d
    edited January 17
    Options
    @shanaber Congrats on the last treatment. Sounds like you are well taken care of!

Dh
    still not accepting the finality of out situation. He keeps crying. I dont get it. He is horrible to me, and that is love? He is on new meds and has been civil the last 3-4 days. But I suspect he is trying too hard and it will backfire. Cleaning the cat box, cooking, or kitchen wont cause me to forget the last 10 years. Ive been home a few day and told him that I was going to the apartment today or tomorrow and hes back to accusing me of being unfaithful. Last thing I want is another adult male in my life.

Classes
    started back up. It is going to be busy.

@quilteryoyo
    fitness goals? um, maybe take the stairs if i can. Goals this year is to get more viola practice in. But I left it in the apt because I dont trust dh not to destroy it in a rage. He took my pictures of Alex down and threw a neckless containing ashes out over the fence. It hangs on a Thoth statuette and Eric says that it "stares at him". He also took my laptop and hid it from me last week and threatened to take my clothes to good will. I have mental health/healthy boundary goals for 2024!

apt. furnished by FB marketplace, lol!
    I have a rug coming and a 60" electric wall fire place thing. and more plants. and books... hehe. I enjoy my safe space.
    dzjos0s4eq6s.jpeg

ETA
    I mentioned Nina was a busy pup and at times a bit difficult, dubbed the Ninja Thief. She has made a turn this last week. I have been keen on positive experiences and almost rewarding the "bad" behaviour. Example, she snaggs TP from the bathroom and makes a mad dash for the dogie door. "Nina, do you want some peanut butter?". I repeat PB a few times and it becomes a trade. I give her a toy with pb or some frozen pb doggie snacks that I have throw together, oatmeal, pumpkiin, ricotta, egg, etc, whatever I can find to put with the pb and just freeze it in a silicone muffin "tin". A few times she has brought me the kong or kong like toy to fill for her. Hooray! when she counter surfs, I give her a handfull of cat food. She has not thieved anything off the counter since. *fingers crossed. She is getting there. she is smart and just too busy.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    The apartment looks great @swenson19d . It sounds like Nina just needs to burn off some energy. Have you tried hiding her treats to have her search for them. Tippy loves doing that and it is good for mental stimulation. Mental health goals are good.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @swenson19d - love the apartment it looks like a great comfortable place!
    I think you are doing great with the Nina training. Mental stimulation, with games or defined exercise (think Rally Obedience or Agility) is good too. You might consider a snuffle mat to hide some kibble in. I used to use it for Hobbes until he learned to take the edge of the mat and just flip and shake it so all the kibble fell out. Sometimes they are just too smart for their own good ๐Ÿ˜

You can do some simple agility or rally training by teaching her to 'get in' at your side and walk right next to you while giving her treats to stay next to you. You can use some household items to make a course to teach her to run between things (like a jump w/o a jump bar) or teach her to weave along 5-6 things.

We are loving Zion as I knew we would. It is cold but so beautiful. Very relaxing. Sorry for all the pictures. I couldn't just pick one or two. ๐Ÿ˜Š
    rk855cpr6fcz.jpeg
    c2kesnn2sdmr.jpeg
    wh79qm7rhx2p.jpeg
    michuiap7721.jpeg
    bgj4myiou85p.jpeg
  • swenson19d
    Options
    @shanaber Beautiful pics! Looks tranquil.

Nina would just shake a snuffle mat to get everythig out of it. I can put toys and treats in a cardboard box and hide it for her. She destroys the box. She attempted to thieve a large brisket earlier today. Instead of running off with it, she just stood there waiting for me to give her some. not sure if thats progress or not... @quilteryoyo For thanks giving dh got a ham and no one eats it. I used it for the find it game. Nina did good and has learned some hand signals. @Shanaber IDK if she'd do any agility type stuff. She shredded the tunnel. the dog park has fixed challenges so I could do that. But there had been an outbreak of a doggie virus and the advice was to keep your dog at home. Not sure if tht is past, but with the polar temps, It's prob fine.