Shape Shifters Team Chat - JANUARY 2024

Options

Replies

• Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    @izzyred9400 Lovely picture! Glad nobody fell over. My street was crazy iced over this morning so I had to walk out with my bike. No falling either!
  • SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Steps

1/16. 5655

Love everyone’s pictures of their snowy walks!
  • LaurieWrobo
    LaurieWrobo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Steps
    1/16 5,512
  • abowersgirl
    abowersgirl Posts: 3,409 Member
    Options
    Happy power Wednesday, half way through the week. Lets get it!
  • alleykat69
    alleykat69 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Guess what everyone—— I DID IT!!!

My marathon was yesterday and I needed to finish in 4:05 to qualify for Boston. I finished in 4:04:30 !!!

I just can’t believe it. I’ve fantasized about qualifying for Boston since I ran my first marathon 26 years ago. I still can’t quite believe it.

I’m sore today, but not injured. Going to have some pretty low step counts for the next couple days though. I gave it my all yesterday. I didn’t realize how close I was. It took me about 29 minutes to cross the start line- it’s a big race, so it wasn’t until the 40K mark that I had a clue. My daughter was cheering me on at mile 26. She knew how close I was and did not want me to slow down! Miles 23-25 were slower than my goal pace, but I had some seconds in the bank.

Steps

1/13 20,057
    1/14. 52,500

Happy MLK Day everyone!

why to go! Congratulations!
  • jessicakrall8
    jessicakrall8 Posts: 5,085 Member
    Options
    Steps

Jan 13= 10983
    Jan 14= 3410
    Jan 15= 2544
    Jan 16=

Did I miss you signing up for the Step Challenge @abowersgirl ??
    Jessica
  • CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    @Pupowl you are doing so great!!!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Hello Shape Shifters!

I’m glad to hear your finger surgery went well @CasandraW. I heard that finger injuries a can be especially painful because there are more nerves so I hope you recover quickly! I’m guessing rehab will be important to make sure you regain your dexterity and range of motion, too. Take care!!

Great steps and workout commitments, everyone! It sounds as though our group members are doing well and in the right frame of mind for improvement over the longterm. Nice job!

The weather patterns definitely have been interesting these last couple of weeks. I’m impressed by all the outdoor walking despite the snow! I came home from Saipan 🏝️ and our heat was not working, so that was an adjustment ❄️! It seems as though the wind and heavy rain entered the exit valve and the gas system is sensitive so it shut down. My husband was traveling so I was trying to relight the pilot and troubleshooting for a couple of hours with the help of YouTube — but with little success!

The next day was a holiday but a worker came out to fix it (temporarily). It’s better now but he had to order a new part so he’ll need to come back to complete the work. I’m crossing my fingers that it doesn’t break again. We’re fortunate the a couple of rooms we added to the house during a renovation have electric wall units. So, at least we can shelter there, if needed.

My husband was in Boston helping his sister who had a minor stroke just before Christmas. She’s doing well, with no noticeable longterm paralysis or effects, but they’re still trying to diagnose the cause. Since my sister in law lives alone, he wanted to be there until her doctor cleared her for more activity. Her daughter stayed with her when she was first relaxed from the hospital but needed to return to work. Never a dull moment—

I’m grateful for a comfortable place to live, and glad our family members are relatively healthy again. Carpe Diem!
  • Pupowl
    Pupowl Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    @CasandraW Thank you for the kind words. :smile: Good news about the surgery. I hope you will be able to enjoy your vacation without any trouble. Sending healing vibes your way!
  • SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    @CasandraW hope your recovery goes quickly and smoothly. Sounds like you deserve this vacation.

@PatriceFitnessPal what a welcome home surprise! lol. Glad your SIL is doing better, but scary. How old is she? I’m guessing young for a stroke.

Heading back to Colorado today. Miss my husband and dog! Also starting to miss running, but my coach wants me to take a full week off. I’ve been hungry and eating a bunch of takeout so tomorrow’s weigh-in is going to be ugly. Have to get back to the grind.

Steps

1/17. 6955
  • CasandraW
    CasandraW Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    @PatriceFitnessPal that’s annoying with the furnace, I hope it wasn’t too cold where you are.
    I’m sorry to hear about your SIL, fantastic to hear she is recovering so well.
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    kcpond

Thursday Weigh In
    PW: 237.6
    CW: 238.0
  • JenHul
    JenHul Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,
    Steps:
    Jan 15= 6876
    Jan 16= 7915
    Jan 17= 9182

Need to get my butt on the treadmill, my steps are getting low for the week!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    Options
    Hello Shape Shifters! Here’s my weekly weigh-in report —

Name: Patrice
    Weigh-in day: Thursday
    PW: 143.4
    CW: 143.9

SW: 168
    Ltd: 24.1

I was excused from the team weigh-in last week because I was traveling. The team I was working with on the island of Saipan was very welcoming and in the pacific islands culture that means there was lots of food to enhance our team-building efforts! It was a wonderful and productive trip but I’ve been a bit slow getting back to my usual routine because of the time change. It hasn’t been too bad overall, and my personal trainer session went well today. So, I’m looking forward to a good week! Best wishes, Shape Shifters!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited January 19
    Options
    @Pupowl and @Cyncia85 - I meant to thank you for the information about Vitamin D and the best way to make sure it can be absorbed. My lab reports indicated slight osteopenia and my Vitamin D levels can be low sometimes so I learned some useful information. I eat a calcium chew each morning with my coffee and have another one after dinner. The caramel flavored type feels like a little treat. 😋

@CasandraW - Compared to many of our team members, it’s not so cold where I live in northern Virginia (close to Washington, DC). However, I was returning from a work trip in Saipan, where the weather was 86-87 degrees, and there were snow flurries at home. I think the house was 57 degrees and it was probably about 35-37 degrees outside. I grew up in Boston and lived in many cold places while my father was playing hockey, so it wasn’t bad — just an adjustment since we don’t get much snow in northern VA. I think there were only 2-3 inches on the ground the next day, but that causes school to shut down here. In Boston, it just means I have to wake up a bit earlier to shovel before work. 😊 All my colleagues in Saipan look forward to seeing snow when they visit. So, I hope they can experience a dusting of just enough snow for a good Insta shot! 🤣❄️🤣

@SavageMrsMoose - My sister-in-law is 65 and retired about a year ago. She attends Zumba regularly and I remember she was also taking a dance class at one point. She loved her dance class but her participation might have changed around the time of COVID — I can’t remember. I think her main problem is high blood pressure. My husband has one younger brother who is even-tempered but the other three siblings (including my husband) are pretty high-strung. Fortunately, my husband doesn’t have high blood pressure because he releases his energy through a lot of different activities.

Another risk factor they share is smoking. My husband ‘sneaks’ cigars with his friends, and the other three siblings all smoke cigarettes or both cigarettes and cigars. They all try to hide their habit to varying levels but I don’t understand why. I don’t judge anyone for the way they cope with their anxiety (or life) as long as it doesn’t interfere with others. My husband seemed to quit cigars for the most part when our children were young but since he retired, and reconnected with one friend in particular, he’s definitely increased his smoking. I worry about the “role-model” aspect of his smoking but I guess my days of influencing healthy decisions are limited. They (our adult children) are young men so they’re all adults. 🤷‍♀️
This discussion has been closed.