What did you eat today? Pictures welcome!

Options

Replies

• henridw2095
    henridw2095 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Tuesday evening prep of peanut butter veggie stew with soy curls for the rest of the week (I wanted comfort food). Veggies were sweet potatoes, zucchini, onions, garlic, ginger and leftover whole canned tomatoes. Spices are cumin, coriander, habanero 🔥, and lime. Also used chunky peanut butter, some veggie broth, soy curls, and baby kale. This recipe is from Richa Hingle’s Instant Pot cookbook, but after making it in the instant pot last time, I opted for my Dutch oven this time. Last time was delicious, just not loving the instant pot. Can’t wait for lunch tomorrow :-)

sfw3ongjcaos.jpeg

4eaextdfkval.jpeg

yy3yheeze5ex.jpeg
  • Maya440
    Maya440 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Tonight’s diner was really good

77t26ze71u74.jpeg
    rnvexi4u64cd.jpeg
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @Maya440 this looks super bon! I will have to try it!
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    @Maya440 What @henridw2095 said B) Yum!
  • henridw2095
    edited March 16
    Options
    c12a19h3mjoj.jpeg

My Rancho Gordo Beans should arrive today @takinitalloff

I‘m thinking I‘ll make black bean soup first, but might also make the recipe above (have made it in the past and it was pretty good I think, @roadie_jay ). I don’t love the aftertaste of raw onions, so I soak them in water for 10 minutes for this recipe.

I got Chickpeas, black caviar lentils, two types of black beans, and buckeye beans…any suggestions?
  • chelseynikole9618
    chelseynikole9618 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So I tend to eat most of my calories at dinner. I’m more of a snacker for lunch and I always skip breakfast. Last night I made a play on carbonara but made a tofu based butter sauce with broccoli and tempeh bacon crumbled on top. SO GOOD! I stayed within my calorie budget and still indulged. 10/10 will make this again. vy3tbe7vom7v.jpeg
  • takinitalloff
    edited March 16
    Options
    @henridw2095 Yay beans!

For the black beans I highly recommend this ridiculously simple Guatemalan Black Bean Soup. I made it using RG's Frijol Negro Santanero Beans and it is to die for, literally just beans and an onion, plus water and salt (I didn't even end up using garlic the second time I made this) and you don't even eat the onion! You can garnish this soup with cilantro if you want (I know the piggies want you to, haha). There are other toppings one could use too... but honestly I think this soup is best just on its own, it really allows those amazing beans to shine.

Chickpea recipes I love:
    • This Sweet Potato Hummus recommended by someone in the UAC, sorry can't remember who but it was amazing. (I didn't make mine spicy, though.)
    • Regular hummus: chickpeas, garlic, olive oil, cumin, lemon juice, salt.
    • I also shared this recipe before: Roasted Cabbage Caesar Salad with Chickpeas but you'll have to substitute a vegan mayo. (I made a gift link so you can access the NYT recipe.)
    • Chickpeas and Chard Braised in Olive Oil (based on a recipe by Melissa Clark). I don't like red pepper flakes, so I substituted Aleppo pepper; and I omitted the bread.

The Buckeye Beans have always been incredible no matter what I have used them in, however I don't have a vegan recipe to share yet.

I haven't tried the black caviar lentils, but I have a bag in my kitchen right now, so if you come up with a good recipe please share! Rancho Gordo has recipes on their website (black caviar lentil recipes are here) but be warned, not all of the recipes I've tried were wonderful, so proceed at your own risk :#
  • henridw2095
    edited March 16
    Options
    Thank you @takinitalloff !

I like the idea of starting very simply with the black beans and will soak some for the soup overnight. It also gives me an excuse to try the slow cooker function on the instant pot (I don’t have a dedicated slow cooker). Just ordered the relevant lid for delivery by tonight 😂.

I do have a recipe for sweet potato hummus I‘ve been meaning to try (somehow not as appealing to me, but sometimes unexpected stuff happens). I might also make one of my Indian chickpea recipes soon.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,551 Member
    Options
    There's one problem using the slow cooker for beans.

Some beans contain phytohaemagglutinin. It is a protein and a phytotoxin. Red kidney beans have high levels. Black beans have some, but not as much. Slow cookers don't typically get hot enough to denature the toxin.
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @mtaratoot interesting, thank you! Maybe some more research is in order! I have a small list of black bean soup recipes to choose from 😀…and I‘m sure that recipe would work in a normal pot.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,551 Member
    Options
    If you have an instant pot, don't they have a pressure cooker function? I have a stovetop pressure cooker. I can cook black beans in six minutes!
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @mtaratoot I have both an instant pot and a stove top pressure cooker. I don’t love stove top pressure cooking…so it will either be the instant pot or my dutch oven!
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    I‘m sure that recipe would work in a normal pot.
    Yes it would. I didn't even realize the recipe called for a slow cooker... I don't have one. I usually make my beans in my pressure cooker, but a regular pot would be just fine of course.
  • henridw2095
    edited March 23
    Options
    This week I ate spicy black beans (froze the rest two days ago), kale radicchio spelt salad, roasted sweet potatoes, miso marinated tempeh, and a weird salad with shaved roasted Brussel sprouts and walnut crumble (the jury is out on this one for now, it definitely wasn’t bad). I have all the ingredients to make another peanut butter stew tomorrow (this time with eggplant, zucchini and sweet potatoes, alongside soy curls). Also made another loaf of spelt pumpkin seed bread.

7cj2ojzrggaa.jpeg
    1o1cykmz935b.jpeg
    pifunkapjbdd.jpeg
  • henridw2095
    edited March 24
    Options
    I made another peanut butter stew, using the instant pot this time, as instructed. I used eggplant, sweet potatoes and zucchini (probably 3 cups total). I like the flavors, it’s nice comfort food. Next time, I might try it with chickpeas (this time I used soy curls). This is from Richa Hingle’s Instant Pot cookbook.

Photo of the recipe for @Zinka61

kzn0b3epq51h.jpeg
    1yiq9qf2t2c0.jpeg
  • Wiseinwellness
    Wiseinwellness Posts: 963 Member
    edited March 30
    Options
    Hey everyone,

We are hosting dinner for our family (5 adults and 16 month old) on Sunday and it will be a vegan meal. Our grand-daughter is a “free feeder” meaning she feeds herself usually.

Just thought I’d ask if you might have some suggestions for tweaking the menu so that it resembles more of an Easter themed dinner and also have the potential of being eaten by hand (or with a fork with poor coordination lol)

I had this in mind for the time being…

App: hummus and veggies

Main: cauliflower shawarma with spicy tahini

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1023019-cauliflower-shawarma-with-spicy-tahini?smid=ck-recipe-iOS-share

Melissa Clark has this video of her making it. Looks possible to deconstruct for the toddler!
    https://youtu.be/EPNMe8CDMoE?si=NUNBQ_qjZLad3PsA

Treat: Tofu based chocolate mousse? Poached pear? Baked Apple?
    Or simple Easter egg hunt with vegan choc or alternative like big *kitten* beans?

The above is not particularly thematic to Easter so if you have any tweaks to suggest, I would appreciate that!!

And happy Easter to all who celebrate.
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    Savory protein oats with kale and mushrooms -- I reduced the oats and broth by half to reduce carbs, and will cut them down to 25% next time. (More kale & mushrooms, less oats.) This dish is easy to make, reheats well, and I found it quite delicious. A keeper, for sure! (I added a soft-boiled egg at serving time.)
    0fj60b235lbw.jpg
    dmq1bqe1vl06.jpg
  • takinitalloff
    edited March 30
    Options
    @Wiseinwellness How about a springy green soup for an Easter appetizer? This is one of my favorite dishes ever, and would go well with your Middle Eastern theme. It lasts well in the fridge, so you can make it ahead of time; and it tastes equally good hot, cold, or at room temperature. It's also quite liquid, so you could just put it in a cup for the poorly coordinated free feeder ;)
    Spinach and Cilantro Soup with Tahini and Lemon by Samin Nosrat (I made it a gift link, so you can open it even if you're not subscribed to NYT Cooking). Use veggie broth instead of chicken broth to make it vegan.
    r1pidmf1zxxp.png
  • takinitalloff
    Options
    Quick snack: hummus with chipotle in adobo (I winged it) served on a piece of yellow bell pepper, with a sprinkling of smoked paprika. Yum! Thank you @henridw2095 for the inspiration, I will definitely make this hummus many more times! (I still have a lot left, fortunately.)
    ot2yn312nafl.jpg
  • henridw2095
    Options
    @takinitalloff yay! I also often sprinkle this with smoked paprika and eat it with pepper 😋!