Sakura snowfall.

e2icigl456i3.jpg
    rmrrmo3nmrbd.jpg
    r4y4wsjzl25i.jpg
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,952 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    Another 12 hour guard shift overnight. Fourth night in a row. Follow me for retirement tips!

Back to the gym tomorrow. My weight is holding steady, ten pounds from my target, but I’m not getting the exercise I want to accomplish.

My wife theoretically is working part-time at a vineyard tasting room... but the boss really likes her so she's been working 5 days a week. We're getting ready to head north and the boss keeps throwing hours at my wife... She says she likes the money and the work but she's looking forward to being in Canada.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Sitting silently
    Savoring sky and sake;
    Sakura snowfall.

Nice haiku...
  • GettingCut70
    GettingCut70 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey yall. Just joined. 53, lost 70 last yr, just staying focused and trying to live longer and happier.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Hey yall. Just joined. 53, lost 70 last yr, just staying focused and trying to live longer and happier.

Welcome aboard @GettingCut70!! Sounds like you've got the right goals in mind. Aside from the health benefits of weight loss, the quality of life improvements are remarkable.
  • mregosd
    mregosd Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi over 50 peeps. Just started (again). My goals;

Lose 25 lbs ish
    Gain some muscle
    More flexibility
    Stay alive

I haven't weighed myself in over a year but will do so tomorrow. Bracing for that reality check...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,322 Member
    Options
    Welcome, @mregosd and @GettingCut70!

@Gettingcut70, congratulations on your weight loss accomplishments: So wonderful!

@mregosd, don't sweat about the weigh-in: It's just a snapshot of your body's momentary relationship with gravity, not any kind of measure of your worth as a human being. ;):flowerforyou: Furthermore, it's like a numerical "before picture": If you have a high number now, you'll have more to brag about later. :D Your goals look great, and very achievable with the right plan.

I'll look forward to reading updates/comments from both of you here. I'll be cheering for you!

• GettingCut70
    GettingCut70 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 gracias
  • UncleMac
    Options
    mregosd wrote: »
    Hi over 50 peeps. Just started (again). My goals;

Lose 25 lbs ish
    Gain some muscle
    More flexibility
    Stay alive

I haven't weighed myself in over a year but will do so tomorrow. Bracing for that reality check...

Welcome!! Here's to hoping the scale check isn't too dire...
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    Welcome new and returning folks.Good luck with your journey.

“The less gravity we consume, the longer we live.”
    ~ Einstein maybe (or I just made that up)
  • AnnPT77
    edited April 10
    Options
    These are terrible photos, but there were two really unusual things I saw on my bike ride today (22+ miles, longest so far this Spring0:

1. Camels. Two! They're hard to see, I admit.
    39j8ad20jf9m.jpg

2. A giant snow pile/pond on a 70F+ (21C+) day. There were two, each likely literal tons of snow; this is just one. They're manufactured snow, from a local park with a sledding run. I wish I'd caught the placidly swimming ducks alongside. You can barely see one, just to right of center next to the snow pile.
    ey9y0vpv7z1b.jpg

• UncleMac
    Options
    Camels? And snow?? That's quite the ride!! lol
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    3c0j8yv9x0wk.jpeg
    v7qabbeycp0o.jpeg

Blood donation today. No workout.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    Blood donation today. No workout.

Good work!!
  • rocket39
    rocket39 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am new on here
    I am 59 and looking to shed a few pounds , stay fit , active and reduce my alcohol intake !
  • UncleMac
    Options
    rocket39 wrote: »
    Hi
    I am new on here
    I am 59 and looking to shed a few pounds , stay fit , active and reduce my alcohol intake !

Welcome aboard!!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I think I mentioned on the outdoor exercise photos thread that I crashed my car, thankfully no one hurt, it got totaled (2009 model, parts expensive, blah blah blah). Today was "visit dealerships" day. Ugh.

With a little luck, tomorrow may be "make a deal" day, and with super big luck, maybe even "acquire new car" day. If I'm not in a new car tomorrow, I'm hoping for no later than Monday. Tomorrow would be good, though. Or Friday. Everything is as lined up as it can be without a written-up deal, including how to pay for it.

I hate the rental Nissan Sentra: Squinchy-tiny rear window I can't see out of well, uncomfortable seat (why do they think I'm a hunchback?), I keep whacking my head on the roof when I get in (so low, and I'm used to a RAV4). I guess it's cute and sporty - which is not my jam: It feels more like a midlife crisis car than a li'l ol' boat lady car.

Am I supposed to say something related to health, weight management or fitness? I found this "visit dealers" thing quite stressful, but I didn't eat or drink anything stupid in misplaced compensation. I came home, ate normal sensible tasty things, and did 63 minutes on the BikeErg to burn off some fight or flight hormones. ;)

How's everybody else?

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,305 Member
    Options
    Car dealer visits are almost never fun. They try to wear you down. When my ex bought her new car in 2013, we liked the first dealer we worked with. The second one was no bueno. In hindsight, I wish we had walked out. She could have got at least as good of a deal another day or at another dealership. She didn't even like the interior color and was going to get after it with a sharpie. She still loves that little car though.

When I bought my only ever new vehicle, the process was also very painful. That was back in 1997. I still drive that truck.

A friend told me of someone we both know went in to a dealership, pointed to a car, and told the dealer, "I want to buy that car. You have 15 minutes to sell it to me." The dealer tried to drag things out. Our friend walked away and bought it elsewhere.

You just have to set the rules. The dealer will follow the rules. They want to sell the vehicle, especially near the end of the month. That's your advantage.

Another friend bought a very stripped down 4wd Tacoma a few years ago. It was built as a fleet vehicle. It doesn't even have any back seats. When he took delivery, the dealer told him, "We have never sold a vehicle this cheap before." I don't think me meant the price. That truck does everything Ben needs. We took it to California for a dive trip one year. Manual transmission. Manual windows. I think it did have a radio, but I don't remember. Tows his drift boat slowly up hill, but it gets the job done.

Enjoy the car!
  • AnnPT77
    edited April 26
    Options
    Mission accomplished. Here it is, looking more shiny and pristine than it ever will again in its lifetime:

fzv9xhx1n90u.jpg

It's a 2024 Honda CRV Sport Hybrid (AWD).

My car "philosophy", if that's a thing, is to buy new and keep for a long time. I'm no mechanic, so I'm reassured by knowing that what I'm driving hasn't been abused or under-maintained. I'd had the previous car (2009 Toyota RAV4) for about 15 years, and I'd still be driving it - probably for several more years - if I hadn't crunched it, or the insurance company hadn't totaled it. I'm not careful with my cars cosmetically, but am careful about functional maintenance. There's a non-zero chance that this could be my last car ever, if I don't repeat the RAV's early demise.

@mtaratoot, if anything, I think I wore the dealer/sales guy down, or out. :D Once I decided on a make and approximate model, I was pushing for speedy resolution. This morning, I called for a "can we make a deal" appointment, which was at 1PM. By their 6PM close (OK, 6:03), I was driving out in it, though I'll have to go back for a couple of things, like roof rack rails they didn't have in stock. There were a lot of steps in there, given the financing, insurance, rental car, etc.

Also, I'm a very curious woman (probably in multiple senses). I ask very, very many questions, some of them unfair, and apparently some of them . . . statistically unusual? They (sales guy & manager) did try hard to answer, I'll give them that. They were good to work with, not pushy. I went in with the best idea I could get online of how much I might be able to negotiate on this thing that's a very popular vehicle, was assertive, and I feel like I got a decent result. I got little extra, don't know whether I could've gotten more by being a jerk, but I won't do that.

I couldn't be happier to be out of the rental Nissan Sentra, for reasons I mentioned in my PP. Not the car for me! Buh-bye to that, with enthusiasm.

I (well, husband and I) had a Honda a few cars back, and I liked it. I hope I'm going to like this one, too. For sure, given the radical changes in cars since 2009, the owner's manual will be bedtime reading for a while. ;)
  • UncleMac
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Mission accomplished. Here it is, looking more shiny and pristine than it ever will again in its lifetime:

fzv9xhx1n90u.jpg

It's a 2024 Honda CRV Sport Hybrid (AWD).

My car "philosophy", if that's a thing, is to buy new and keep for a long time. I'm no mechanic, so I'm reassured by knowing that what I'm driving hasn't been abused or under-maintained. I'd had the previous car (2009 Toyota RAV4) for about 15 years, and I'd still be driving it - probably for several more years - if I hadn't crunched it, or the insurance company hadn't totaled it. I'm not careful with my cars cosmetically, but am careful about functional maintenance. There's a non-zero chance that this could be my last car ever, if I don't repeat the RAV's early demise.

@mtaratoot, if anything, I think I wore the dealer/sales guy down, or out. :D Once I decided on a make and approximate model, I was pushing for speedy resolution. This morning, I called for a "can we make a deal" appointment, which was at 1PM. By their 6PM close (OK, 6:03), I was driving out in it, though I'll have to go back for a couple of things, like roof rack rails they didn't have in stock. There were a lot of steps in there, given the financing, insurance, rental car, etc.

Also, I'm a very curious woman (probably in multiple senses). I ask very, very many questions, some of them unfair, and apparently some of them . . . statistically unusual? They (sales guy & manager) did try hard to answer, I'll give them that. They were good to work with, not pushy. I went in with the best idea I could get online of how much I might be able to negotiate on this thing that's a very popular vehicle, was assertive, and I feel like I got a decent result. I got little extra, don't know whether I could've gotten more by being a jerk, but I won't do that.

I couldn't be happier to be out of the rental Nissan Sentra, for reasons I mentioned in my PP. Not the car for me! Buh-bye to that, with enthusiasm.

I (well, husband and I) had a Honda a few cars back, and I liked it. I hope I'm going to like this one, too. For sure, given the radical changes in cars since 2009, the owner's manual will be bedtime reading for a while. ;)

Looks very good. Pre=divorce I bought a 2011 Toyota Tundra and I loved it... 8 years later, I crashed the Tundra. I went back to the dealership where I got the 2011, explained what had happened... and got basically the exact same truck 2019 model... Year 5 of ownership and I'm loving it too. Toyota added a few more bells and whistles... I prefer basic, actually... but it's solid, quiet and reliable.