Share Your Day

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,652 Member
    edited April 16
    Options
    Backstory: they changed the betty crocker mash packaging and now they combine the two envelopes--four "portions" per envelope--into a single "re-seal-able" foil pack. So I broke down at Costco the other day and got a 12-pack of idahohal buttery mash where each pack is still the 4oz dry portion. I had been avoiding them in part because they come in at 440-450Cal, almost 100 Cal higher than Betty.

So I am living dangerously here--in more ways than one!

Veggies today were higher Cal (peas and carrots), and then I opened the Costco not trader but some other Joe "smokehouse brisket chili" (650-660 Cal) and then I admit to boo-booing and opening an idahohan pouch (another 450).

And... oh boy...

-- mash: a bit... too smooth and too "buttery" dang it. I don't want it THAT "buttery". F-OFF dudes.... I could add real butter if I wanted--Calorie wasters!

--smokehouse brisket blah blah. good taste overall BUT:

I just can't imaging if I hadn't "cut" the whole meal by adding about 370g of peas and carrots. to the chili. I am still feeling parched and I am seriously contemplating coke zero #2 here!

I guess that OUGHT to teach me to go "commercial".

--re Joe whoever's "brisket chili".
    I mean come on guys. I expect better from you Costco!

There is some really good BBQ brisket out there. Big T's BBQ in Calgary was always awesome. Memphis Blues in @BCLadybug888 territory range were not too bad either!

Joe whoever's brisket (and I still have both another pouch of chili and a box of "burned brisket ends").... yeah.. NOT that good!

Sure the "sauce" is good and so the whole chili is on the ok side.... but ZERO taste to the meat and not particularly tender either TBH. So Nope.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Maybe try mashing a real potato?
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,637 Member
    Options
    :D
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    It's going to need a little bit of work but I'm pretty tickled. It even has a barn.... Just in case I have an overwhelming desire to raise goats and chickens and maybe some sheep 😁
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Oh Laurie! It looks very very nice! Not sure I want to ask about temperatures and wind🤣 but nice view too!
  • PAV8888
    Options
    The rest of the peas and carrots became soup with 950g no salt chicken broth, 12g Knorr fake chicken and real mushroom broth powder, onion powder 7.2g , smokey Chipotle 2.5g smokey paprika 1.5g dried parsley 1g dried rosemary 1g
  • PAV8888
    Options
    What's Yooly up to now? Laurie I'm going back to your pictures!
  • Creamtea42
    Creamtea42 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    What are “bods”? Haven’t heard that one before.

Cheers @Bella_Figura; couldn’t have put it better - folk, usually seasoned experts in their field, who I am questioning of & deferential to!

• Creamtea42
    Options
    @lauriekallis - ooh -congratulations (hopefully!)
    So exciting & adventurous - what a pretty house & amazing views out to the water, land too - fabulous ….😍😍😍
    Is Newfoundland a new place for you?
  • Creamtea42
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    The rest of the peas and carrots became soup with 950g no salt chicken broth, 12g Knorr fake chicken and real mushroom broth powder, onion powder 7.2g , smokey Chipotle 2.5g smokey paprika 1.5g dried parsley 1g dried rosemary 1g

Sounds tasty to me @PAV8888

• lauriekallis
    Options
    Creamtea42 wrote: »
    Is Newfoundland a new place for you?
    Sort of? Son Number One and family - including my GRANDSON moved there a year and a half ago. I've been visiting. This little house adventure is a way to have one foot in each province. Won't be moving there - hoping instead for it to be an artist retreat??? Short term rentals that leaves enough room for myself and the rest of the family to stay there when we visit? Fingers crossed.

PAV - the trees are straight! One of the few places I've seen evergreen trees going straight up. So either the wind is manageable (for Newfoundland which is basically very windy all the time) or, these are very very strong trees? Or, the wind changes direction regularly to keep the trees from developing a one way lean :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Wow wow wow wow wow: who is the mini fox with the bargain hunter dude?
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Wow - what an amazing photo! Yooly you put those rhododendrons to shame! And your hubby is a looker too!!!
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Next summer - hopefully - that little beauty will be ours - and it will be ready for guests :)
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Wow - what an amazing photo! Yooly you put those rhododendrons to shame! And your hubby is a looker too!!!
    Well it’s not tooo bad for a pair of geezers both almost 77 years old. We try.

Newfoundland is definitely on the list.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Sunny and relatively warm all week. Unusual for the Pacific Northwest and absolutely beautiful. Big trees, spring flowers and the sea…..
    i1vd0zo6wkfx.jpeg
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Gorgeous, Yooly! Must be a treat to walk outside and not be overwhelmed by heat.