Thoughts, Epiphanies, Insights, & Quotables

Options

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,667 Member
    Options
    I remember reading a children's book about a dragon to my son a few decades ago. The dragon was toooo long and skinny and because of that he was unable to scare anyone,

It turns out the problem was the he was eating long and skinny things. Cucumbers, celery, carrots, long skinny French sticks, french fries, pepperoni sticks.

To fix the problem he had to start eating round things. Pumpkins, squash, watermelon.

With this in mind .... :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    Options
    You two three are killing me! 🤣

more
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,884 Member
    Options
    wjpl46pyo1ci.jpeg
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I just found this wonderful sort of crossover hoodie with a kangaroo pouch pocket at value Village ... A secondhand store chain in Canada.

I am so in love with it! It's a perfect deflector for my somewhat lopsided physique.

I'm not pleased with the coming warm weather and having to come up with new clothes to wear. I'm sure come the end of July I'll have it figured out (aka will have accepted things) and and will have lost this plumpness 😂
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I’ll take your warm weather over mine Laurie. Looks like Texas has arrived at daily 90s during the day with 70s at night. It’s only May 1. And the humidity! Oy!!!

I love Value Village. I stopped into one in Seattle. Scored a very nice, expensive blouse for cheap. I’m sure you’ll figure things out with the clothes as you go along. Summer is tough - I prefer sweater weather coverage.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,341 Member
    edited May 1
    Options
    My mother always referred to Value Village as VV Boutique. She was a sucker for little dolls and stuffies. She felt sorry for them being homeless...thankfully she was not a hoarder so had to be a bit choosy with what she brought home 🥰

Ah yes, still brisk coolish weather here! I genuinely don't think I would survive Texas. I am not genetically prepared, being of Scottish descent.

Laurie - are Kangaroo jackets not a thing anymore? I am so out of the loop!
  • Creamtea42
    Creamtea42 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I don’t think I’d survive Texas weather either, but is very cool for time of year here. Our climate change in north seems to be getting colder!
    I wish we had something like VV here - I seem to be wearing my OH’s jumpers & everything is either too baggy & my older smaller clthes remain just that! Loss issues, but pleased to have hem 🤣🥴😉
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    There are no VVs here in Texas sadly. We do have Goodwill stores which are a goldmine of good deals! But it requires a commitment of time to shift through the junk to find the gems.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Same issue with sifting with VV and Sally Ann. Time. Also was surprised with the competitiveness of close out bins at full retail. Also sifting super glad I'm sitting at 8+ years of medium/nominal 32 even if I've stretched it a bit at times

I admit to being prejudiced against vv as they are for profit.

Can't deny that sallyann does some good (and I end up donating there most of the time) even though I'm not terribly impressed with what I know about how they deliver services. Then again I acknowledge that I do not know how they would be able to better and more successfully deliver services given the issues faced by the people they help.

No kill shelter thrift shops remain my preference to donate to. But hard to find
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I'm not sure if kangaroo jackets are in or out :) I like them though!

I don't worry too much about the for profit - not for profit to be honest, PAV. I know VV pays not for profits for the donations they take in, and in the stores around here the organization of the "stuff" and the stores is on a much higher caliber. Much less stinky too! And those not for profits still seem to pay lots of high end people very high salaries. Not that I have researched anything lately.

I shop at VV for strictly selfish reasons. I find great deals :) and it doesn't tend to take toooo long :)

Picked up a rain jacket today that made me pretty happy. Especially nice that I can do it up. I hope that has a postive effect that leaves me feeling better about myself and less incline to eat away my self disappointment when I wear a rain coat I cannot zip up.

I would not want to live in your temperatures, Yooly! Would hate to feel the need to stay indoors, in airconditioned coolness.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I have eating menu for Laurie coming up!!! :wink:
  • Yoolypr
    edited May 1
    Options
    9jdp79l7yp2h.jpeg
  • BCLadybug888
    Options
    Wait, jackets are supposed to do up??

😁
  • BCLadybug888
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    9jdp79l7yp2h.jpeg

😂
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Where’s our girl Laurie?
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Hi Yooly! I'm over here in hectic land. Trying to wriggle my way back :) Should be back to normalish by tomorrow.
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    Aren’t we all seeking to be NORMALISH 🤔?
  • BCLadybug888
    Options
    Ish being the key...
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    ISH! That is what I want to be :) Normal is just so very white bread - and white bread is just the worst :) ... lol
  • Yoolypr
    Options
    I vote for pumpernickel 😍