Replies

• mmambs
    mmambs Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Currently reading:

Versailles - Biography of a Palace by Tony Spawforth
    The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
    Pillars of Hercules by Paul Theroux

It will take me awhile to get through these because I'll pick up some quick reads in between as well!
  • mmambs
    mmambs Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb the other day. It is really strange reading a fictionalized story about Columbine but I love Wally Lamb so I am giving it a chance.

I am also a huge Wally Lamb fan and was a little skeptical about how this story would read. It was great, couldn't put it down! Hope you enjoy it.
  • stufie
    stufie Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The Litigators by John Grisham. I work in a law firm so it's particularly interesting.
  • AliceIsRunning
    AliceIsRunning Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    The Litigators by John Grisham. I work in a law firm so it's particularly interesting.
    I work in a law firm too and love Grisham :)
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I finished The Power of Six two days ago and I have read four manga versions of The Legend of Zelda my boyfriend also got me for Christmas. After that I will try out The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo that my mom lent me.
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Just finished "Murder is Binding" by Lorna Barlett, it's a series about a book store owner. Now on to a Christmas book I bought for the ipad and forgot about "The Christmas Pearl".
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Hunger Games. No book has shocked me so much in so few pages. :noway:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

I recommend the whole trilogy. The second was my least favorite, but still good.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options

I recommend the whole trilogy. The second was my least favorite, but still good.

I am just stunned at the concept. I'm sitting here reading and realizing....she's our protagonist, so I'm going to have to watch her kill them all......omg.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options

I am just stunned at the concept. I'm sitting here reading and realizing....she's our protagonist, so I'm going to have to watch her kill them all......omg.
  • stufie
    stufie Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Have you read it? It's interesting to see how the lawyers are portrayed vs. the lawyers at our firm.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options
    And, just 48 short hours later, I'm reading Catching Fire (Hunger Games book2 )

Not gonna even try to go to bed tonight, I'm not going to lie.
  • ajbeans
    Options
    I have to say, after reading the Hunger Games trilogy, everything else on my Nook seems lame and I can't get into anything new. :sad:
  • AliceIsRunning
    AliceIsRunning Posts: 220 Member
    Options

Have you read it? It's interesting to see how the lawyers are portrayed vs. the lawyers at our firm.

No, I haven't read this one, but I'm definitely putting it on my list :)
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have just started reading "Dismembered" by Susan D. Mustafa and Sue Isreal. It's about the murders of a serial killer. Not my usual "cup of tea", but it caught my attention......have read many good reviews about the book....it's crazy and scary to think about what goes on in the minds of these killers!!

Dismembered by Susan D. Mustafa and Sue Israel (July 2011)
    By Kim Cantrell– July 6, 2011
    Share 2/3 Great Earns 4/5 Stars
    Review by Kim Cantrell

Sean Vincent Gillis seemed to be just the average boy next door. To most, anyway. Some neighbors would later say that something was always a little strange about him.

Sean had been born and raised in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and continued to live there, in his mother’s home, even after Yvonne took a job and moved to Atlanta, Georgia.

And that’s when trouble begin.

It began with the elderly Ann Bryan being killed in her assisted living apartment. Next, Hardee Moseley Schmidt was murdered while jogging around her affluent neighborhood.

Suddenly prostitutes in Baton Rouge’s seedy areas were disappearing at an alarming rate. And, even more terrifying, women were being attacked, raped and murdered in the safety of their own homes.

Police soon came to realize that they had not only one serial killer in Baton Rouge, but three!

Fortunately, the hunt for one killer came to a halt with the arrest of Derrick Lee Todd but police were still racing against the clock to catch the others.

All the while, Sean Gillis watched the news reports, laughed to himself, and boldly carried on.

Eventually his arrogance and sloppiness would catch up with him and Sean would find himself face to face with the investigators at whom he had laughed.

And what he had to tell police would shock, disgust and downright appall even the most seasoned of homicide detectives!

Susan D. Mustafa and Sue Israel provided the scoop on Derrick Todd in their 2009 true crime Blood Bath, now they bring us the story of Sean Gillis with their newest book (released yesterday) appropriately and simply titled Dismembered.

Louisiana made national headlines when Katrina blew in, but the worst storms were brewing long before the deadly hurricane was born in the Gulf.

This book is extremely detailed, even making my stomach turn at times. For two-thirds of the book, I waived between being unable to wanting to retch but being unable to put the book down, then after the arrest it just flopped.

At this point, Dismembered became mostly repetitious. Now, in all fairness, the authors did toss in some diction about how Sean’s girlfriend was managing, his correspondence with the girlfriend’s new live in boyfriend, his parent’s coping strategies, and his new found religion – but it was rather tedious and, most frequently, didn’t contribute to the overall story.

Because it is the only book available on Sean Gillis and provides thorough details, I would give Dismembered 4 out of 5 stars. Get rid of some of the crud and I can say that it could easily be a 5 star book.
  • deporee
    deporee Posts: 59
    Options
    I'm into Christrian Fiction! I'm currently reading "Abiding Hope" by Angela Benson. It's pretty good. It's the second book in Genesis House series.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I have to say, after reading the Hunger Games trilogy, everything else on my Nook seems lame and I can't get into anything new. :sad:

Yup. Felt the same way for a while. Try Divergent or the Outsider series.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    As a Colorado native, knowing police officers who were on scene, I just couldn't read Lamb's book.

I'm reading The Infernals, The Sherriff of Yrnameer, and The Son of Neptune.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options

Try The Maze Runner...very good!
  • ajbeans
    Options

Try The Maze Runner...very good!

Thanks for the suggestions! I saw Maze Runner in Barnes and Noble this evening -- I was going around taking photos of covers so I could put them on my Nook wishlist. I'll look at the others as well. :)